Basketball in Blacksburg

Home Forums All StateFansNation Basketball in Blacksburg

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 292 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Ha!… Fire the Coach ’cause they can’t play defense .. I’m sure there’s some Hoos somewhere thinking exactly that….

and on the other channel…

Kansas/Oklahoma is the first 1-2 game to go to multiple OTs since NC State beat UCLA at the 1974 Final Four…
    Never forget…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    ryebread
    Participant

Buzz is a solid coach. VT definitely upgraded. Hopefully that VT loss doesn’t turn out to be a bad one.

Tau: I have a feeling we may see a change in the recruiting coach. Zero insider information here, but there have been health issues, and what seem to be signs of stress related fatigue. Though, I don’t think that’s going to change scholarship allocation. That would seemingly be the choice of the head man.

Wufpacker
    Participant

and on the other channel…

Kansas/Oklahoma is the first 1-2 game to go to multiple OTs since NC State beat UCLA at the 1974 Final Four…
    Never forget…

This one in Lawrence is a heckuva game too.

Wufpacker
    Participant

And now to a 3rd OT.
    I’m not gonna get any of my important TV watching done tonight I guess. 😉

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^check that…

3 OTs in the regular season…

We still GOTT that record and that WIN ….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Heelh8r
    Participant

Dang, Rick. Come to find out even Tony Bennett can’t coach a lick either. I guess Buzz is the real guru. Who knew?

Rick
    Keymaster

I am glad you are finally starting to agree with me.

Haha you know I am just joshing with you, Rick. Just pointing out the difference we seem to judge our own coaches as opposed to someone else. I’d prefer we find the positives and point them out in our coaches and criticize the competition instead. It is easier to find fault than to recognize and give credit for the things that go right. A good example is, I haven’t heard anyone give credit to the coach for made ft’s but all of a sudden it is the coaches fault when they are missed and maybe he shouldn’t have even recruited the guy.

I understand your opinion but everyone is different and just because an opinion is different does not make it wrong or stupid. If I see something good I point it out just as if I see something bad I point it out. IMO constantly blowing sunshine is just as tedious as constantly criticizing.

Besides how boring would a site be if everyone just agreed about everything?

Rick
    Keymaster

Dang, Rick. Come to find out even Tony Bennett can’t coach a lick either. I guess Buzz is the real guru. Who knew?

I guess I should be happy that VT has a better basketball program than us?

I don’t understand the giddiness to point this out.

BassPacker
    Participant

I don’t understand the giddiness to point this out.

[/quote]

Salt in these old red wounds and more scars

Wulfpack
    Participant

Buzz has definitely improved the Hokies. Manning has improved the Deacs. Some teams get better while others get worse.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Buzz has definitely improved the Hokies. Manning has improved the Deacs. Some teams get better while others get worse.

From the little I have seen from Wake/Manning I think he is the real deal. They seem to play team ball and hustle. ONly a matter of time before he starts reeling in some big recruits.

tjfoose1
    Participant

VT with a better program? I wouldn’t go that far, yet. But they do have a better coach. But I think Buzz is highly underrated and one of the better coaches in the country.

Rick
    Keymaster

VT with a better program? I wouldn’t go that far, yet. But they do have a better coach. But I think Buzz is highly underrated and one of the better coaches in the country.

I think we found something we can agree on. I wonder how everyone would rank the ACC basketball coaches. I don’t think Gott is in the top half and might not be in the top 3/4. I would have to think through the coaches.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Certainly not top half:

K
    Roy
    Pitino
    Boeheim
    Bennett
    Dixon
    Larranaga

pakfanistan
    Participant

Certainly not top half:

K
    Roy
    Pitino
    Boeheim
    Bennett
    Dixon
    Larranaga

I’d move Roy down a notch, Larranaga up, Dixon out of that list…

Wulfpack
    Participant

Dixon out of that list…

Dixon:

Ten tourney appearances in 13 years at Pitt. Three sweet 16s, with an elite eight appearance. A Big East Championship. Eleven 20+ win seasons. Two 31 win seasons.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Dixon out of that list…

Dixon:

Ten tourney appearances in 13 years at Pitt. Three sweet 16s, with an elite eight appearance. A Big East Championship. Eleven 20+ win seasons. Two 31 win seasons.

Eh. We’ve already established two S16s in four years ain’t sh1t so three and an E8 in 13 can’t be much better.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Cuse falls to 0-3 with an overtime loss to Clemson, now 2-1.

Jimmy B. can’t return soon enough.

saigonwolf
    Participant

I am glad you are finally starting to agree with me.

Haha you know I am just joshing with you, Rick. Just pointing out the difference we seem to judge our own coaches as opposed to someone else. I’d prefer we find the positives and point them out in our coaches and criticize the competition instead. It is easier to find fault than to recognize and give credit for the things that go right. A good example is, I haven’t heard anyone give credit to the coach for made ft’s but all of a sudden it is the coaches fault when they are missed and maybe he shouldn’t have even recruited the guy.

I understand your opinion but everyone is different and just because an opinion is different does not make it wrong or stupid. If I see something good I point it out just as if I see something bad I point it out. IMO constantly blowing sunshine is just as tedious as constantly criticizing.

Besides how boring would a site be if everyone just agreed about everything?

It would be very boring, and the forum would die. I was a member of an expat forum where several members who were dissatisfied with the mods and certain posters left and started another forum site. The problem on the new site was that everyone agreed with each other all the time and there quickly became nothing else to talk about. That site is dead now.

I don’t post here much, but I do check and read the posts here every day. This site is my go-to for all things NC State. But I’ll have to say, lately, it has been waning. Could be the disappointing football season, disappointing start in basketball season, or all the above. Whatever it is, let’s don’t let this site fall by the way-side. I’ll close by making a request to you keymasters: Please add the basketball schedule to the front page as the football schedule was. I loathe having to go on the ESPN site just to find out when our next game will be played.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Please add the basketball schedule to the front page as the football schedule was. I loathe having to go on the ESPN site just to find out when our next game will be played.

You can add the schedule to your phone, Touch, etc right from the GoPack website: http://www.gopack.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Your post reminded me, I’ve been meaning to do that for a while. Simple enough, I chose iCal import and all the games are now synced in iCal across all my devices. Unfortunately I can’t seem to set up alerts for them, but that might be operator error.

Rick
    Keymaster

Please add the basketball schedule to the front page as the football schedule was. I loathe having to go on the ESPN site just to find out when our next game will be played.

You can add the schedule to your phone, Touch, etc right from the GoPack website: http://www.gopack.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Your post reminded me, I’ve been meaning to do that for a while. Simple enough, I chose iCal import and all the games are now synced in iCal across all my devices. Unfortunately I can’t seem to set up alerts for them, but that might be operator error.

If you use Andriod, you can add NCSU to your Google Now and it will put it in your notifications.

Rick
    Keymaster

Certainly not top half:

K
    Roy
    Pitino
    Boeheim
    Bennett
    Dixon
    Larranaga

Hamilton has won a conference title. Though he has obvious, unaddressed flaws similar to Gott.

Buzz and Manning are trending up but have nothing substantial on their resumes yet.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Right, Gott is right there (I have him in front of) Hamilton and Buzz.

Manning is too new to judge. My guess is he shoots up the ranks in the next 3-5 years.

I’ve never been impressed with Hamilton’s coaching. But he’s been steady.

Just look at the list. Four guys likely to hit the beach in the next 5 years. Are we positioned to take advantage of the opportunity?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I don’t post here much, but I do check and read the posts here every day. This site is my go-to for all things NC State. But I’ll have to say, lately, it has been waning. Could be the disappointing football season, disappointing start in basketball season, or all the above.

I don’t record and analyze the site statistics, but the site visits are about as good as they’ve ever been. The commenting is down and I suspect that you’ve nailed the reason for the reduced chatter…the results on the field/court aren’t producing anything that people want to discuss.

Rick
    Keymaster

Just look at the list. Four guys likely to hit the beach in the next 5 years. Are we positioned to take advantage of the opportunity?

IMO the answer to that is NO. I think you need a young up and comer similar to UVA or Wake.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 292 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.