Anybody NOT done with DD?

Home Forums StateFans Football Anybody NOT done with DD?

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    JaxPackMan
    Participant

Hey McCallum and Bob-on-the-Beach — This has nothing to do with DD discussion but your comments about the Cheats undermining of ECU’s Med School reminded me of another situation from the past. During my days at State in the mid-70’s of the last century there was much lively discussion between NC A&T – Greensboro and NCSU about who was the most worthy campus for locating a brand new school of veterinary medicine. A&T likely new Raleigh would win out in the end, but there was talk about the lack of racial diversity among the campuses and that objectives should be set for achieving more balance in the student bodies. Building the Vet School became a topic around which A&T was able to get some of the discussion out in the public domain and not just in university board rooms.

JaxPackMan
    NCSU class of '76
    Jacksonville, FL

McCallum
    Participant

That is a new one on me.

I’d say building an international airport on Ocracoke would make as much sense as putting a vet school at A&T.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Jax…

By 1975, The Vet School had been ‘under development’ at NCState for almost twenty years… that Springs, some folks from Greensboro became ‘interested’. While the Vet School was never going away but Hillsborough Street, AT&T did get some extra funding from the legislature for other things that summer. An old alumni name Ralph, made 100% sure of both.

That’s a little different from the scenario in Greenville… now if the G’boro folks had been working on a Vet School for years and at the last minute, the folks from West Rawlee said “No – we want that”… that would be more like apples to apples.

It also occurs to me that Joab Thomas had a hand in all that, but I don’t remember everything nor should I tell everything, those being two different things.

Mac,

I think you may have missed the larger points about irony and pain in my previous comment.

… and you are right about Coach DD being the perfect fit for the culture of today’s Urban, Multicultural, Politically Correct, Land Grant University. Banal, is a word that comes to mind.

Rest of ya’ll…

In some ways… what Mac, Jax & I are talking about tells you everything you need to know about NCState Athletics over the last generation.

and if you graduated after 1995… it’s all lost.

bill.onthebeach
    Class of ’76

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    ryebread
    Participant

I enrolled in 1995. Most things at the school have gone generally downwards, including the sports.

I said many times over the last six months that should DD lose to ECU, UNC and have a losing record, he was done. I still believe that and think the general tenor of the fan base is tilting in that direction. While the season isn’t lost, the staff clearly has put themselves behind the 8 ball. I don’t like their chances going into Chapel Hill with that being a must win game.

Pack78
    Participant

Re the foregoing discussions of the CYA goings on at the Dump on the Hump: I have heard for years that money was appropriated back in the late 1800’s for the starting of an A&M-type college…$$$ was to be administered by elements of UNC for this purpose. The money was retained by these crooks (not just a recent phenomenon) with no founding of a college while efforts to add-on to UNC continued. New funding was generated in the 1880’s and became the NCSU that we know today.
    Also have heard that there was a great effort back in the day to establish the School of Engineering in CH instead of Raleigh…

McCallum
    Participant

bill,

Old line State men are all about irony and pain, your points are taken. I appreciate the tone and depth.

Herb Sendek and dapper Dave were and are the perfect fits for State. From an architectural standpoint they are Bauhaus with a cheap paint. They look efficient but they lack balance, detail and are not functional whereas many other places are vitruvian in scale, balance and they work.

It is simple in essence. The mind knows when it works and when it does not.

I’d let a non affiliated, old school, non PCUSA Presbyterian minister (a man too boot) pick the coaches.

McCallum

rthomas44
    Participant

Class of ’73 Lou and Norm and Wpack club member for 41 years. While fball is shaky, the BB is definitely NOT. All this hearsay history is water under the bridge. D Yow is’nt going anywhere soon and neither is Doren. Don’t forget that the last AD was fire by Woodson.

Adventuroo
    Participant

RThomas44,

I do not know if the 44 if for David Thompson or the year of your birth or some other number…

But, you are correct. I thought that Fowler was put out to pasture prior to Dr. Woodson’s arrival. NOPE, he was let go (Mutually beneficial resignation) by Dr. Woodson about one month AFTER Dr. W. was “sworn in”. Dr. W. DID hire AD Yow.

So, if you follow the political theory that you are always loyal to your hires and your team….Dr. W. is NOT going to have an “early retirement” conversation with AD Yow….and, from a LOT of perspectives, I don’t THINK he should. She has also publicly stated her intentions to stay until 2017….and her contract is for that.

As to AD Yow’s hiring of Revenue coaches….Gottfried has NOT been the salvation….and the interference that she had in hiring a BB coach from UMD can be chalked up to that. She seems to have made strides in the Lady’s arena. Coach Moore seems pretty solid and savvy….

Coach Doeren, on paper, looked like a great choice. He had a good resume (winning) and also the values (work, wood chopping, ethics, etc.) that we wanted. Problem is….he ain’t winning….and it looks like we have the talent, but can’t put it all together.

SO, the odds of Dr. W. calling in AD Yow and saying….Coach D has GOT to go are slim and none. Coach Doeren will probably be here next year….or you never know. I thought that Sidney Lowe would get one more year. AD Yow is a tough cookie and is head strong. She may surprise us.

An aside….wonder if there will be any folks (high $$ donors and/or high recognition ex-athletes) that get her aside this coming Friday. That is the day of the “Reynolds Gala Opening”. Starts in the afternoon and runs into the evening. So far, 1100 tickets have been sold….

Maybe she will get a pass, but the cocktail hour conversations will undoubtedly have a FB flavor. Purple will NOT be a good color to wear.

StateRed44
    Participant

I don’t know how being 0-2 against ECTC could not get you fired, barring a miracle against a top 10 opponent.

choppack1
    Participant

Roo – agree with you on Gott thing. He has exceeded my expectations, but I didn’t expect banners when he was hired.

Thus far, the results have been solid, if not spectacular and the program has moved forward in results AND talent. Still, this time 6 months ago it was an entirely different scene. And he still has to coach these guys up.

Things can change – I didn’t expect the absurdity i witnessed Saturday. I honestly thought those days were over. However, sometimes all of us fans imagine progress that real isn’t present.

rthomas44
    Participant

The 44 is for DT, the greatest college basketball ever period. I won’t ask what your user name stands for. My problem is that the year I graduated, the BB team was 28-0 and FB was 8-3, I think.

rthomas44
    Participant

No, 1973 FB was 9-3!

JaxPackMan
    Participant

Dear Pack78, You have the gist of the story.

What you described is also the first chapter in the CHeats Holy Book – “The Carolina Way”. The Watauga Boys found out that the UNC Greek Panhellenic Society absconded with the money instead of using it to start NC A&M. The money was used to pay for their Fall Rush. Well, you never heard such a ruckus from West Raleigh! The Wataugans gathered on Hillsborough St and howled like a pack of wolves, their eyes turning blood red from the strain. Thus began two of our most cherished traditions even before the first classes were held – our team nickname, the Wolfpack, and our colors, Red & White.

And if you believe that BS, then McCallum is selling naming rights to an international airport on Ocracoke.

On a serious note, a visit to this link at NCSU.edu will “coach-you-up” on State’s beginnings –>https://www.ncsu.edu/about/history-and-tradition/

Try to enjoy the week everyone.

JaxPackMan
    NCSU class of '76
    Jacksonville, FL

McCallum
    Participant

Howard’s Pub International…….going once.

McCallum

Adventuroo
    Participant

My handle is based on a personal incident. We decided to get back in to Camping when I retired in 2006. Started out looking at small motor homes, then backed off and bought a Rockwood Roo. It was a mistake as it was not properly weighed and the Plate Data (weights and GRWR and axle capacity) were WRONG. Dealer relented and we got our money back (OK, his business manager kept the RECEIPT for the Cashier’s Check and gave me BACK the Check…so I never actually paid for it). After I did the weights locally, I returned it and the dealers Father (who was pre-AZD) stalked me like a “wolf” carrying a hammer. Needless to say, I was GLAD to get out of there.

Then, we hemmed and hawed and finally decided on a pop-up. OPPS, the one we wanted was in short supply….and the factory had ceased production for that year and was in changeover. We finally bit the bullet and bought a Class A MH. 35 Ft Gasser. It was a Winnebago Adventurer…..so my wife started calling it the “Adventuroo”. That is how it happened…

I should change it as we have since upgraded to a 40 Ft. Diesel Pusher, but the “handle” remains.

I actually (Finally) graduated (a year late) in 1968. I was on my third job when DT made his infamous leap and came down on Phil Spence’s back. I had picked up a NEW Color TV (our first…other ones were B&W) TV and we watched the game on it. My wife told me that I had “KILLED” DT and it was all my fault. I have met him once or twice over the years and hope to see him at the Reynolds Ceremony on Friday and tell him to sign an autograph for my wife to prove he is still alive.

My only OTHER connection to DT is that Eddie Biedenbach was my Freshman ROTC Squad Leader….and you know the story of he and DT and their pick-up game at Carmichael….

Greywolf
    Participant

Per title: My answer, with 10 games still on the board is, hell no, I haven’t quit. Why would I, post September 10th?

Dog, I’m in.
    Disappointed? Yes.
    Throwing in the towel with 10 games to go? Don’t be ridiculous.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Well.. after having a few days to let the emotions die down and put that game behind me I have only three words for DD: Pack. Your. Sh!t.

McCallum
    Participant

Are the patterns of play the same?

If they are then I’d toss in the towel.

They’ll be lucky to be 3-5 in conference and I’m saying 2-6.

It ain’t going to get better folks and you know it.

McCallum

MP
    Participant

I have met him once or twice over the years

My wife and I were inside the club beverage area during halftime of the 2011 Belk Bowl, when I look to my left and see David Thompson walking our way a few feet away. Note that I am (slightly) too young to have seen DT play, and my wife is younger than me and no college basketball fan. I say “It’s David Thompson!” to my wife. As he approaches, I stick out my hand and say “Hello Mr. Thompson, I’m [MP]”. As he shakes my hand, I say “And this is my wife, []”. He shakes her hand, with a somewhat bemused expression, and he keeps walking in the herd of people.

My wife then asked me, “Who is David Thompson?”

We have laughed about that story ever since. Of course, I did my best to explain to her that she shook the hand of the greatest college basketball player of all time.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

He [Gott] has exceeded my expectations, but I didn’t expect banners when he was hired.

I expected slightly better than Sendek results, and that’s pretty much what we’ve seen. I had no expectations with the DD hire…and that’s probably for the best.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Speaking of DT’s fall when he went over the shoulder of Phil Spence is something that is indelibly etched upon my brain. I was sitting in the first row of the end zone just a few feet from where it occurred and was able to to see him totally unconscious with his blood on his head and on the court. I truly thought that he had died that Saturday afternoon. The sound of skull on wood was damn near deafening and sickening at the same time.

They took him to Rex Hospital and he returned in the second half with his head heavily bandaged. It took 15 stitches to close the gash in his head. He got a standing ovation from the sold out crowd and there was not a dry eye in the house. The Pack went on to rout Pittsburgh 100-72 as Burleson played like a man possessed in the second half. (12 reb 26pts) Spence finished with 14 boards, 4 assists and 10 points.

The following Monday (3-18-74) in the Technician (I still have a copy) Sloan was quoted from his Sunday basketball show as saying: “I thought the near tragedy of what happened yesterday was the greatest display of love and affection for a group of people, for one individual, and concern for an individual I have ever seen in my life. I know the ball game and the season became totally meaningless to us and members of the squad when David had his accident.” Sloan claimed that even CBS News Director Walter Cronkite called Sunday to inquire about David’s health. What happened after that day, and for the remainder of the season, is also etched upon my brain and is arguably the greatest time in N.C. State athletics history.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Wolf…

after all the years, you still GOTT it… nobody ever said it better…

I was sitting 100ft from you in the NW Corner Upper Deck at Reynolds with my parents…
    the only game they went to during my four years…

the hit on the floor was loud.
    the silence that followed was deafening….
    the rest is history….

that’s how legends are made.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wolfanatic
    Participant

Thanks BOTB…don’t encourage me though…I might break out some of my hippy dippy campus mailman job escapades….damn…it’s my job to be old…

Adventuroo
    Participant

Wolf and BOTB,

Thanks for your experiences….mine pale in comparison. Will try to get DT to autograph his book for my wife and tell her that I did NOT cause his fall….

GO PACK

joec
    Participant

I have the front page of the Technician from that NCAA tournament, framed and in my office. One of my most prized possessions.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.