Anybody NOT done with DD?

Home Forums StateFans Football Anybody NOT done with DD?

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Just curious if we’ve got any stragglers? If so what is it about him and what you’ve seen that lights up your heart? I can’t think of a single game, much less season where I’ve seen flashes of brilliance. Thx in advance and hope you’re right!

McCallum
    Participant

You can’t be done if you never got started.

Which reminds me of a story about the Wolfpack Club I’ll tell at another time.

McCallum

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

You can’t be done if you never got started.

Amen to that. I remember when he first got hired and I was like “who the hell is that”… went to look him up and saw he had only had 2 years of experience head coaching with an ALREADY built team that had an NFL caliber QB on the roster in a sh!!tty conference. Buckled myself in for a long and hopeless 4-5 year stint wishing for a miracle. Never been a fan of the hire. Here we are.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

and the answer is…. Dr. Debbie…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    WolfBlood86
    Participant

I don’t know. I think there were flashes of brilliance the last time we won against the Cheats in their house. Looks like the beginning of the end. So I guess the next big question is who is going to replace Huxtable to “right the ship” for the crappy defense while DD is on the hot seat? If he gets another season…

McCallum
    Participant

Boy that AD at Houston looks like a smart mf’er.

McCallum

Mike
    Participant

I had been a supporter and willing to give time. Well…….that clock is ticking fast and unless something changes, he lost me today. I thought we were outcoached and outprepared for and no excuse.

New OC, but still no imagination, same old predictable plays. Their D line dominated our O line. Clock management on last drive – 1st down with 24 seconds left, clock stops to set the chains and we did not snap again until 17 seconds left, unexcusable. New QB – maybe but still on the coaches to teach better management. And the last completion, fighting for a couple extra yards while time expires. Catch the ball, get on the ground, get to the line and spike it, roll out the FG team.

choppack1
    Participant

Sometimes, when it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s a duck.

Time will tell if year 1 told us all we need to know.

BassPacker
    Participant

Looks like DD will have that new house done on Gaston Lake just in time for an extended late fall vacation or spring bass fishing.

Tau837
    Participant

This. Barring a miracle, DD should be fired at the end of the season. Whether she wants to or not, Yow should be initiating her search now.

Rick
    Keymaster

Is anyone really confident in Yow hiring a new coach? I read her list of revenue sport hires over her career and it was not impressive.
    Man we are in a tough spot.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

This. Barring a miracle, DD should be fired at the end of the season. Whether she wants to or not, Yow should be initiating her search now.

Yow doesnt get to pick. It doesnt work that way in big boy football. AD’s dont get to choose 2x. But then again we are nc state……

McCallum
    Participant

Rick,

Being free, white and 21 you can do as you please but I’d refrain from guilt by association.

You are not in a tough spot. The lunkheads in Raleigh and the sentimental cesspool of old tired folks that hired Yow are in the tough spot. Her record at Maryland spoke for itself, a decline in the revenue sports and a rise in Title Nine sports and non-revenue sports. There is probably some correlation between the testosterone found among successful football and basketball coaches and how that would come into conflict with Yow. The non-revenue folks are totally beholden to her, the revenue coaches will be inferior hires because she will not stand for a personality that outshines hers. Williams and Sir Fatass as Maryland famously did not get along with her if memory serves right.

She will stand by her hire. I expect he will have at least 5 years and as long as State people keep showing up then maybe another year or so.

As for other comments as to how Briles or a coach like him has no connection to the area thus is a risk, how dost thou continue with the Midwestern drone of dapper Dave?

McCallum

mhcstatefan
    Participant

I don’t see how we get to bowl eligibility. I have no idea what his buyout is after this season but if he doesn’t get us to a bowl AND beat UNc he has to be released, right? This can’t be on Hux at this point. The head coach is allegedly a defense coach and DD decided to keep him around.

mhcstatefan
    Participant

Also, I don’t want him fired or to resign until the end of the season. The last thing we need is to always hear from EZU fans that they got our coach fired because of this game. Let’s see how the season plays out first. We have the talent.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yow is here until 2018. So we have two more years of this (after this season).

Texpack
    Participant

I didn’t watch the game as I was sitting through a 3.5 hour lightning delay in H-Town. When you have such obvious problems with the defense and your response is to fire the OC, you had better win right away. I’m pretty sure this will be the end of DD. It’s hard to see what his realistic path to survival is.

As for the AD in Houston that hired Tom Herman, he is at Mizzou now and was the same person who made the disastrous hire of his predecessor. Most people would credit the University of Houston President with the Tom Herman hire. If NC State wants to get serious about football success, which I’m not at all convinced is the case, they will take a long hard look at Todd Orlando who is the DC at UH.

McCallum
    Participant

Thank you for the insight on the Herman situation. I think that hire is very instructional (ain’t they all) as to the proper path when seeking success. Herman had experience at multiple levels none of which involved head coaching but he was involved in the workings of high end programs (Ohio State) and the dramatic improvements in lower level programs (Iowa State).

One of the individuals that stands out to me is Mario Cristobal. He was involved in a dominate college program, he has head coaching as well as extensive positional coaching experience and he is currently the offensive line coach at Alabama. I have no knowledge of him personally but the template for turning a team quickly appears to be hiring off a coaching tree. Saban’s tree has some hits and some misses but I’d chance it before trusting the brain trust in Raleigh to do a damn thing.

McCallum

choppack1
    Participant

Brain trust in Raleigh = same combo of players who have given us zero championships in sports that matter since 1987.

And let’s be honest – successful non-revenue sports are easy to build. Money can solve that problem because most schools do not care or are happy to let these programs feed off the success of their revenue sports.

Being good at non-revenue sports is kind of like being the restaurant with the best silverware and table cloths. The snooty class may love it, but you ain’t going to be able to have anything good come from of it if your food sucks.

Being good at non-revenue sports is great – but I would trade winning every championship in every non-revenue sport every year for a national championship in football and basketball every 10 – and I guarantee you most fans feel the same way.

coyotejoe
    Participant

CD and BOTB, correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it was Bear Bryant who once said something to the effect of “A good coach can take his’n and beat your’n, and he can take your’n and beat his’n”.

At this point, I am nearly 100% convinced that if you gave DD Alabama, he couldn’t beat ECU.

Texpack
    Participant

CD and BOTB, correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it was Bear Bryant who once said something to the effect of “A good coach can take his’n and beat your’n, and he can take your’n and beat his’n”.

At this point, I am nearly 100% convinced that if you gave DD Alabama, he couldn’t beat ECU.

That was Bum Phillips

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

That was Bum Phillips

I believe that Bum said that about Bear Bryant

Pack78
    Participant

Thought Bum said that about Don Shula.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Texpack wrote:

coyotejoe wrote:

That was Bum Phillips

I believe that Bum said that about Bear Bryant

I’m thinking alot of guys said that ’bout alot of guys….

and it’s 99.9% true… given an “adequate” amount of time to learn the new players…
    of course that ain’t alot given you’d be playing against players you already know…
    and a reasonable expectation of what constitutes a “good coach”.

Nevertheless, this time… I’d have to go with DD and the Tide
    which in noways should reflect my opinions as to this topic or any of the comments contained therein….

To put that another way….
    a “no so good” coach could win this bet better than 50% of the time.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    john of sparta
    Participant

a Bum quote however derived makes SFN worthwhile

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.