Anybody NOT done with DD?

Home Forums StateFans Football Anybody NOT done with DD?

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    TheCOWDOG

Actually, a good Coach would piss off everybody at the State University.

coyotejoe
    Participant

BOTB, in reality, I totally agree with the “50% of the time”…I was basically exaggerating for effect.

Also, did anyone catch the ending of the Dallas/Giants game today? It was eerily similar to the ending of our game yesterday.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Actually, a good Coach would piss off everybody at the State University.

That being the case…
    the operative word here must be “At”, which by default…
    fortunately or unfortunately, as each sees it best, leaves all of us out.

————————
    If I suggested, “we” are our own worst enemy…
    Likewise, I suppose, we’d have to discuss the “we”.

————————

Truth is… there’s always been a little something in the water between Hillsborough and Western…

Remember Lou, for all his faults, left, for among other reasons, a professor. And no, after 40 yrs, NCSU not the MIT of the South, either. With or without two campus, the latter being the unofficial future memorial to Gubernor Tuliplips, and in spite of the fact that NCState abdicated it’s charter and gave ECU an engineering school for the kids it no longer wanted…

NCState is still NCState…. sorta….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    john of sparta
    Participant

yes, coyotejoe, and the stands were full.

rthomas44
    Participant

Where the winds of Dixie softly blow….

McCallum
    Participant

————————

Truth is… there’s always been a little something in the water between Hillsborough and Western…

Remember Lou, for all his faults, left, for among other reasons, a professor. And no, after 40 yrs, NCSU not the MIT of the South, either. With or without two campus, the latter being the unofficial future memorial to Gubernor Tuliplips, and in spite of the fact that NCState abdicated it’s charter and gave ECU an engineering school for the kids it no longer wanted…

NCState is still NCState…. sorta….

Excellent tone and content. That statement, missed by the lesser in thought, just about covers it in total. A slap at one if the biggest cons in the history of North Carolina politics, on point about the overloading of CHASS hence the increased number of split tails from every cul de sac that has covered an old farm plot in Mecklenburg, Wake, Guilford or Forsyth County, and the acknowledgement that the “institution” can not even lay claim to fulfilling what it was created to do.

Bravo.

If the above is indeed the case, as I believe it to be then dapper Dave Doeren is the perfect coach for a soulless, empty, vapid collection of buildings and mottos.

McCallum

Rick
    Keymaster

Record ticket sales this season gives Yow zero incentive to change something she does not want to change any way.

rthomas44
    Participant

ECU also has a dental school and medical school, does that mean UNC gave up its “charter”. Also the use of the slur “split tail” is telling.

McCallum
    Participant

1) unc and its supporters in the state legislature worked overtime to deny a public university medical school outside of the one in chapel hill. Their claim was that Duke and Wake Forest had medical schools and those would help serve the needs of the state properly. This was not a political position either like the denial of funds to expand Hwy 421 west of Winston-Salem because that section of the state leaned Republican in the 50s-60s but rather this was based on a desire to horde all of the funding for the one public medical school.

So for the funds and the glory of unc, its supporters were ready and willing to deny the people of eastern North Carolina a medical school which would have and has rendered excellent medical services and extension.

That should hang around unc’s neck like a millstone.

2) I’ll SLUR all I want and as much as I like before, during or after OR WITHOUT a cold Old Milwaukee.

Grow a pair.

McCallum

JasonP
    Participant

I’m not typically a fire-the-coach guy, but if things continue this way the guy’s got to go and we don’t need to wait until the end of the season. ODU is a chance to get some confidence back but if we get whipped by the Deacs after that there’s no reason to keep DD around.

3-6 record against NC schools out of which none are any good.

WhyMe
    Participant

This game was an epiphany for me. I couldn’t conceive that we would have lost in such a display of ineptitude. There were so many missed assignments we are lucky the score wasn’t as lopsided as the play on the field. Maybe we can at least learn the rules of the game before Old Dominion. Then again maybe not.

FergusWolf
    Participant

First, and intro, then two points:

Intro: I’m what the administration considers to be a “worthless fan”. I attend 1 FB game a year and 2-3 basketball games. I do watch 90% of the games on TV, but that doesn’t help the administration, because the TV money is guaranteed. I do own a goodly amount of NC State ‘wear’, so they got a few bucks from me on that.

First Point: Go back and watch the game. ECU’s offense was FAR better than our defense, and our offense somewhat better than their defense. All in all, they were better that we were, and go figure it, they won. Good on them. Still don’t understand why we fired the OC, and kept the DC last year. I would have been OK with any scenario that involved a new DC.

Second Point: I am a staunch believer in standing by my university (BS ’89 and ME ’05) and I ALWAYS wore my red and white just as proudly after a loss as I did after a win. Yesterday I could not bear to wear the NC State T-shirt on the top of the stack, but rather dug down into the stack to find something else…telling?

I don’t know what the solution is, but I know we haven’t found it.

StateRed44
    Participant

Winning college football is a business. If you want “the feels” just follow the Olympic sports. It’s all a sham anyway, UNC has shown the way to win. Outside of some sort of Dabo Swinney fluke miracle hire, I just don’t believe there is a choir boy within our grasp who could win here. Now bring in the guy who you know will do it.

Pack1997
    Participant

There are plenty of good coaches that fall between Choir boy and throw out the rulebook to win. Its time we hired a young experienced coach. Doesn’t need previous HC experience but coaching experience in a top proven program. I am ok with hiring someone who has the potential to be great. DD hire never had that potential, TOB never had that potential. With past hires it’s almost like we are afraid of trying to be great.

McCallum
    Participant

With past hires it’s almost like we are afraid of trying to be great.

They aren’t afraid. They don’t know how.

Find someone that knows people that know how and hire them to hire people that know how.

McCallum

pakfanistan
    Participant

Oh, when you put it like that it seems so simple. I wonder why everybody doesn’t do that.

Pack1997
    Participant

Because they get in their own way, or are afraid to admit a hire was a mistake. Own it, learn from it, and do better the next time. Thats what most do, at State we just double down.

McCallum
    Participant

KISS: keep it simple stupid

McCallum

rthomas44
    Participant

Ah yes, keep it simple.. like you.

McCallum
    Participant

I’ve never denied my simplicity.

In fact I think along such simple lines I knew cheesy Seinfeld out takes on a Jumbotron would come across as cheesy and cheap during a college football game. Braveheart charge clips and sound so loud it drowns out the band, not worth mentioning.

And that doesn’t even include notions of fake rocks in a tunnel or wet looking coyote statues being passed off as wolves.

Carry on.

McCallum

JaxPackMan
    Participant

If the DD Death Watch hadn’t already started it surely has by now after the latest disaster in Greenville. I tend to look at the glass half-full, but it is very difficult at this point. After three seasons we have seen what DD has – a decent family man and coach committed to his craft. However, NC State is so mired up in the ruts of football mediocrity that someone with near super-human capabilities is needed to change the fortunes of the Wolfpack. Coach Doreen’s biggest failing might be never beating a higher rated team. At this point in his career can he improve?

If the decision is to make a change, the questions then become: Who wants the job? Who is offered the job? Who gets the job? Unless there is a move afoot to terminate Ms. Yow’s contract, or the program completely falls off the planet I don’t see Coach Doeren going anywhere until she retires.

Why has it been so difficult to be successful at State? Being a fan and graduate, I am biased about the program and school. How is the NC State brand perceived by high school recruits especially the higher rated players. Are players recruited to a school or to a position coach? Regardless, it appears coaches have had difficulty “selling” the better rated players on coming to Raleigh. Upon Coach Doreen’s hire I believe we were told that recruiting was his strong suit. Recruiting results appear somewhat more successful but only enough to maintain pace, not actually enough to climb into the top tier of the league.

State has tried many strategies on finding a football coach resulting in varying degrees of success. I took a look back at the coaches from Earle Edwards forward:

1) Well-respected assistant from established program – Coaches Edwards, Monte Kiffin, Tom Reed.
    2) Promoted from with-in – Al Michaels (perhaps more of a ‘Thank-you’ from Coach Edwards), Mike O’Cain.
    3) Former State assistant – Bo Rein
    4) Rising Star head coaches from smaller programs – Lou Holtz, Dick Sheridan, Dave Doeren.
    5) Prodigal Son Returns – Chuck Amato.
    6) Respected Head Coach from established program – Tom O’Brien.

I hope DD will figure out the issues and get the team on a long multi-year role. Otherwise, all of us will be grinding over who the next coach will be.

Go Pack!

JaxPackMan
    NCSU class of '76
    Jacksonville, FL

TheCOWDOG

Per title: My answer, with 10 games still on the board is, hell no, I haven’t quit. Why would I, post September 10th?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Mac….

fwiw… I left the CHASS thing, including the Business School thing (imagine an MBA from NCSU? ) — out on purpose as that’s complicated in a personal way…. there’s some pros and cons there… Nevertheless, I’m sure that was a battle the “MIT of the South” folks wish they had won.

More importantly, in more ways than one, you are dead f’ing right to resurrect the *NC/ECU Med School thing… as it reflects that we were not alone when iut comes to abdicated charters — both campuses have changed dramatically, demographically and culturally in our lifetimes.

Some from both would argue, much like us, not necessarily for the best.

One significant difference between the two is… that in Chapel Hill the PTB basically gave the Athletic Dept to the Good Old Boys and said ‘Do what you want, just send us the money’. Twenty Five miles away, the PTB said “NO” to both the Good Old Boys and the Athletic Dept as that did not fit into their vision of the future.

Each was left to their own devices for almost thirty years.

Lookaround, what do you see? What you see is what you GOTT.

The subtle irony to NC Historians is the myth that *NC was the “liberal” college.

The no-so-subtle pain is that the people of North Carolina “own” NCState and *NC, not their respective PTB.

Ha!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    choppack1
    Participant

Nope cowdog – still plenty of football left.

Saturday was about building a special environment to push recruiting and excitement for this year and DD’s program in general.

The loss Saturday hurts momentum amd doesn’t let DD or incoming recruits see what the excitement around the program that can exist.

So, to get that excitement and momentum back he needs to pick up some wins where they aren’t expected.

This also increases the pressure on him, his staff and the players to get a win.

Regarding Nc State coaches – I think we brought in TOB in about 5 years too late. For one thing, beware when you are hiring a coach who says “this is my last merrygoround.”

A second thing – when one of your long t assistants has leukemia and the other is diagnosed with Parkinson’s… well, let’s just say that pitching yourself and program to 18 year olds is probably not ad important.

The success of Sheridan – and the ability of o’cain, amato and O’Brien to have some success shows that our situation isn’t one where a coach can’t win. Heck, we have seen 3 coaches have enough success to have wins on a national scale – and not one of those coaches would be on the mt Rushmore of coaches.

The only question is when do we get our great coach.

McCallum
    Participant

bill,

I have written long and extensively about the unc attempt to deny ECU a medical school. The efforts were downright devious, all an effort to glorify the rectum of the state.

As for the MBA thing from State, I recall an old and long departed friend (class of 55) talking about one of first CHASS majors leaping from the library and killing himself. To a man (and State had men then, ROTC was required) they wondered why in the hell State bothered with such non-sense.

Now I’m going to watch an episode of Father Brown.

McCallum

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.