Watching the Carousel Develop

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Watching the Carousel Develop

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 1,114 total)
  • Author
    TheCOWDOG

No, StateRed44. It ends, here.

Wulfpack
    Participant

No more politics, please. Honestly, don’t see the connection.

redwolf87
    Participant

Man. Truman got a bad rap.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Cavs just held Heels to 43 points. Impressive.

TheCOWDOG

Didn’t see it Wulfpack, but I hope the Cavaliers can repeat it, somewhere down the line.

McCallum
    Participant

Nobody messes with TheCOWDOG.

I’m settled into some shrimp fried rice and a Rick Steve’s Europe, Copenhagen.

Has gottfried been fired yet?

McCallum

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Heard an interesting story yesterday. Not sure how reliable it is because the source isn’t a close friend, but he claims the BOT forced Yow’s hand. They were very involved in the decision. And Yow was allowed to decide whether Coach finished the year or not. Interestingly, the timetable matches. BOT did meet on 2/16-2/17. Nothing on meeting agenda that stands out, but my guess is this was a closed door meeting or communication since it’s a personnel matter, and those aren’t subject to NC open meeting/record laws.

On another note, ran into an ex-player from the Sendek years recently who I see from time to time. He’s worked out periodically with the team. He was unimpressed with the practice routines and preparation and development of players to say the least. Just supports what we’ve all observed. And to echo what others have said and what now seems obvious, Lutz was absolutely the only planning/prep and X&O guy worth a crap.

Adventuroo
    Participant

RYE,

It is difficult to sometimes make a point or write in a manner that does not cause a trigger or offend a snowflake….

Here is the post again….edited. CD or other Master of the Universe….DELETE the first one. I really thought the little jab was innocuous….and really was NOT trying to highjack this post…..just a little “current events humor”. OK…?

So, Rye or others….take the following and comment on it….it has been sanitized and WordPress let it be posted….

This is a bit of a repeat….but it deserves some attention here.

Factoid of the day…..The ACC NOW has 7 Teams (I did not count…this was a line on WRAL) in the TOP 25. So we are the Daddy Rabbit in the Power 5.

Factoid of Yesteryear….circa mid summer, 2016. NCSU picked to finish SIXTH in the League….but those all powerful and all knowing and high IQ and intellectual giants….the Sports Media.

Conclusion. IF the sages were correct and we WERE Number SIX…then we would be EASILY A TOP TWENTY FIVE. Thus, AD Yow would have accomplished another of her goals….for NCSU MBB to be a TOP TWENTY FIVE, with consistency….assuming we could write off LAST YEAR;s program.

We WERE NOT. SO, we failed to accomplish one of her STATED goals or expectations….publicly well known in 2011. The miscreant that let her and US down did NOT meet his job performance standards.

It WAS time for that…”Come into my office and CLOSE THE DOOR….” conversation…..which she had.

AD Yow said….We WILL BE, consistently, a Top 25 Program….we AIN’T, so she pulls the pin on the individual charged with doing that….

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Or she was told to pull the pin.

JeremyH
    Participant

Not surprised. I remember Tyler Lewis saying that when Gottfried started they actually had intense practices and conditioning that didn’t exist under Lowe. This year had many erie similarities to those Lowe years, of being grossly unprepared against midlevel competition and “winging” it. Why he thought he could replace Lutz but not his skillset was his downfall. He made that bed and wasted DSJ’s talent. But let’s move on, shall we? 🙂

ryebread
    Participant

Roo: Good post that is on topic. Thanks. No one is here to discuss politics.

Sincerely,
    Your Snowflake

Adventuroo
    Participant

Whiteshoes67,

Interesting take on the BOT. My analysis, with very little insider info, but just following the news, leaked and otherwise was this.

Yow meets with Dr. Woodson and maybe a few others on Sunday, February 12. Everyone is on board with the termination after the WFU beatdown and also looking realistically at the outcome of the season (projected). Yow either has a leak or someone plants a story with Mark Armstrong. One Monday, I think, the feces hits the revolving air handling device. Puts Yow at a disadvantage. Story festers as we are the FIRST to fire a 2017 coach (save the school that did so for “personnel” issues). We are the fodder for lead stories and bylines and opinions.

Meanwhile, AD Yow does NOT have time to deal with leak…which I wonder if it came from OUR side or Coach Gottfried’s side. Yow had used Jordan Bazant to work with Coach Doeren. Mark Gottfried is also a client of Bazant. However, in mid 2016, Bazant left his old firm and went to a new one…one that had him VERY high on the totem. Don’t know if Bazant STILL has one or both or NONE of them as clients. I would have suspected that Bazant knew what was coming….he would be stupid NOT TO…so whether he (or Gottfried) was involved in the leak will be a secret we never find out.

During the REST of Sunday and the week, Yow had to put together a “proposal” and get preliminary approval from the NCSU BOT. They HAVE to approve the contracts and usually are NOT blindsided. IF we were offering a 50% bigger package, then it WOULD be their fiduciary responsibility to understand the need for the increase….the funding source(s)….any “athletic ticket or concessions increases…..etc. In other words, a full blown presentation….so that when she and Dr. Woodson LEFT, they had a clear ticket and parameters to proceed with the coaching search. Without the $$ issues and terms and such, you could not really do any serious negotiations. Depending on the BOT’s schedule, rather than a video conference, slipping in this one items would have been perfect timing.

NOW, to the rest of the week. Flip a coin. IF the BOT was unhappy and IF the mega donors were also unhappy (performance, off court issues, whatever), then they MAY have voiced an opinion. Whether they said….Break the NEWS….get rid of him or Break the NEWS and YOU Decide….I haven’t a clue. BUT, if all the chatter that I heard about the big boys gonna “do this one time deal” were true, then whatever the big boys wanted….would have a mega impact on how the scene played out.

Thanks for sharing this….it certainly fits….perhaps not as you intended or not as I speculated….but it does tidy this up a bit….

Your comments about practice, team “chemistry”, team “respect” and loss of Lutz certainly fits all the behind the scenes and also the outward and obvious comments. When you lose a team, it carries over to the next year….and nothing was done to change course….only more fool hardy things which, in reality, did MAKE it worse.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Oh no Roo I think you triggered a dusting of snowflakes. I thought your observation was easily understandable. I hope the call for change does not create an unpleasant climate for you.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

February snows are quite common in the Triangle…

and that Leak on 2/12 came from the wise, old Tree in the backyard….

go figure….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Pack1997
    Participant

On my way to work today I listened to Andy Staples and Chris Spetola, on Sirius. Caller called in about Bromnell at Clemson and whether he should get another year. Staples compared Brownell’s situation with Gott’s. He said it wasn’t the win losses that will get him fired, just like it wasn’t for Gott. Gott was fired for not building and maintaining a program. More players left than came in and thats not sustainable every year. He said thats what forced state to make the correct decision in letting Gott go and he suspected Clemson would do the same. First big time sports columnist I have heard that actually gets it.

Rick
    Keymaster

February snows are quite common in the Triangle…

Not right now. It is supposed to be 80+ tomorrow.

StateRed44
    Participant

Change thread title to “the triggering”. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. #nosafespace

BJD95
    Keymaster

Hey guys, PLEASE cut it out. We needs to be excellent to each other (as Bill and Ted taught us). Good Karma = Arch. Bad Karma = 3rd consecutive turd.

I do wonder if this winter means we will have another weirdly pleasant and mild summer, or if it will be 125 in July and August.

ryebread
    Participant

I’m happy to do my part for the good karma and let bygones be bygones. Let’s just stick to topic moving forwards.

StateRed44
    Participant

Hey guys, PLEASE cut it out. We needs to be excellent to each other (as Bill and Ted taught us). Good Karma = Arch. Bad Karma = 3rd consecutive turd.

Lol, good point. Reason enough for me. Or 4th consecutive turd, depending on THAT argument. Outside of 1a or 1b, I think most would be happy with even one of the previously mentioned and well thought of 2nd tier guys. I’m just praying it’s not a left field retread turd.

ryebread
    Participant

StateRed: I’m in agreement. I’m hoping it is 1A or 1B, that we have a legit 2 line. I can live with the current 3 line candidates (Wade/Keatts), and think they’re better than what we’ve done the last two hires. While the 3 line comes with risk and won’t win the press conference in the same way, they likely will be better than Lowe and Gott.

I’m just hoping there isn’t an out of left field, 4 line candidate. That’s been our last two hires and we’ve seen what that gets us.

StateRed44
    Participant

StateRed: I’m in agreement. I’m hoping it is 1A or 1B, that we have a legit 2 line. I can live with the current 3 line candidates (Wade/Keatts), and think they’re better than what we’ve done the last two hires. While the 3 line comes with risk and won’t win the press conference in the same way, they likely will be better than Lowe and Gott.

I’m just hoping there isn’t an out of left field, 4 line candidate. That’s been our last two hires and we’ve seen what that gets us.

The one thing that worries once we make it past Miller and Marshall (good Lord forbid) is the cryptic report from Goodman with the old nonsourced quote from a “midmajor” of “I wouldn’t touch that job”. It’s most likely real but is it one of the guys we’d be targeting for the 2nd line? I pray not, because if we get played by a guy with those or similar sentiments it could begin to really stink. Also could it really be indicative of how this place is perceived across the board? Mind numbing and potentially lethal.

On the good karma side. I really hope the women’s team can get some national good juju working for us this March. They could shine a light in the darkness (however dim) on the positive aspects of NC State and Yow.

I hope Wes Moore could help out as some sort of vouch.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Here’s the thing re Goodman. I’m sure it’s real…but he fished for it. Our job ain’t for everyone, it’s not UCLA or Kentucky, that everyone says yes to. Some would rather have NC State. Some tOSU. Some Florida (Arch already said no, perhaps). It all depends on your flavor preference, and your personality makeup.

Some guys would rather be left alone to do their thing, and don’t mind working in relative anonymity. That’s not our job. But you can become King of the World here. You will always be second banana in Columbus. As Rick Barnes learned, nobody will ever show up to weeknight games against “not Kansas” in Austin.

We wouldn’t WANT to hire a coach whose persona better fits a job in NC State’s tier that is a different flavor. Both parties will end up unhappy, even if the coach is pretty decent (this was HWSNBN at his best here).

FWIW, I would probably describe HWSNBN as mild-to-moderate gas with some belching. Not quite a turd, but not super pleasant either. 😀

MrPlywood
    Participant

Well said BJD.

Just say no to “Thurd Turd”.

ryebread
    Participant

I’m not as concerned as I was about a week ago. I’ve heard multiple Arch interviews and he’s not fully shut it down in a way that if he definitely wasn’t coming, that he would. He’s handled the media very well.

Also, the person who was kind of vocal has kind of clammed up. It doesn’t mean they they think they were wrong or that they don’t still think what they posted. It could just be that the poster is on vacation on a beach drinking pina coladas. That could be another explanation. 😀 It’s just that they’re not as vocally adamant in the same way, and with a story that was incredibly plausible. That means SOMETHING has changed.

We’ll see. These are exciting times. I believe that Yow will see this hire as part of her legacy and genuinely believe that she wants it to be a good one. Whether she initiated or was brought along by those above her, either way she did fire Gott. The “coach out the season” thing may be part of her relationship management with him. Regardless, she has done something I wasn’t convinced she’d do, so I have hope that she’ll surprise me with a well executed search that lands a 1-3 line candidate.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 1,114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.