Your “I’m Too Apathetic to Think Up a Cute Title” Syracuse Open Thread

Home Forums All StateFansNation Your “I’m Too Apathetic to Think Up a Cute Title” Syracuse Open Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    gso packbacker
    Participant

My sense of why O’Brien was ultimately let go was that while he agreed with Yow on the program goals and objectives, he didn’t feel that he needed to do anything differently to achieve those results.

If that kind of stuff is indeed important to Debbie, she better have been in Gott’s office having this discussion a few weeks ago.

From my vantage point, I don’t see any changes (results aside).

All that being said, I am treating a possible coaching change just like a do a State game. Greatly manage expectations, hope for the best, and just do my best to enjoy the show.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I mean, we DID make changes going into this hoops season. Went heavy buy in on the recruiter/talent acquisition model. And we have tremendous players and an equally awful team this season.

What does she think, he’s gonna pull TWO Dennis Smith Jr’s out his posterior this offseason??

/also, those two theoreticals would still combine to play nary one shit bit of defense, yeah?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

It’s seems that the evolving consensus, at least around here, is that this — apathy, mediocre teams, coaches — is not a “basketball program” or, for that matter, a “football program”, problem…

Maybe it’s rooted much deeper and much higher in the University Administration, in the form of conflicting goals and objectives…

In other words, could it be the University at the top levels has one set of goals, objectives and expectations for revenue athletics and the alumni and fans have a different set of goals, objectives and expectations for revenue athletics?

By all appearances and without conclusive evidence from the University Administration, what other conclusion could we reasonably reach? That being the Coach… changing Coaches or AD ain’t gonna accomplish jacksh#t from our point of view?

Maybe we’ve been barking up the wrong tree….
    Maybe it’s time to go scouting for big game….

Is it not true that the worse that could happen would be an honest, open, frank acknowledgement of the problem and some sensitivity to alumni points of view, that brings diverse people together, instead of the same old blahblahblah, smokeandmirrors, of the last 25 or so years?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    MISTA WOLF
    Participant

At the end of the day, the administrations goals should be our goals. I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired.

By the way….. Over the last 13:44 of the game, we were outscored 41-18. The Pack women were getting their ass handed to them the last time I checked.

etab4u
    Participant

Didn’t watch the game. Probably won’t watch NCSU again this year. I’ll just check the score and read you all ranting.
    Almost too apathetic to post.

Heelh8r
    Participant

All I can say is, those of you who cannot bear to watch, you missed a great game. Your loss. We didn’t win, the end of regulation was unbelievable, but it was still a great game. DSJ was all time all time, Mav was on fire, and the guys played their hearts out. We should have won, but if you couldn’t enjoy that game, you don’t like basketball, regardless of what you think of Gott. Of course, if you are pulling against the team, as several of you are now admitting to, your opinion is worthless in my book anyway.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

It’s seems that the evolving consensus, at least around here, is that this — apathy, mediocre teams, coaches — is not a “basketball program” or, for that matter, a “football program”, problem…

Maybe it’s rooted much deeper and much higher in the University Administration,

Pre-Woodson, I think that there was a deep disconnect. The admin was satisfied with not-sucking. Amato fell below that and was fired. Sendek met that requirement and Fowler stuck with him. Only in a theoretical sense, it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Herb had stayed instead of fleeing to the desert. The rumors of discontent among the big money donors were spreading. I have often wondered how that scenario would have played out….but I am grateful that I didn’t have to watch it.

Woodson and DY speak of excellence. Now it’s time to move beyond talk in BB and getting mighty close to that time in FB.

McCallum
    Participant

I have reverted to a “Sidney Lowe” type of apathy. I actually watched Big Bang Theory reruns instead of the game. It has become so bad, that if I come across a State game on the weekend while surfing; I will watch for a moment and then move on… no matter the score. I have better things to do with my time, even though I really like the kids on this team. (Bona fides: I am a State grad, I bleed red, I hate UNC and I bought an F150 because it was State Red and my block S license plate would look great on it.)

I didn’t know anyone watched Big Bang Theory. The beta male nature of the characters and the not so subtle homosexual vibes make that show reek of the the last spin of the gene pool going down the toilet.

McCallum

Adventuroo
    Participant

Posts being moderated. Ladies WIN in Louisville. Last SECOND shot, in OVERTIME. At least there is SOME joy in Brickville.

I DO plan on continuing to go to the game. I do plan to critique the coaching staff which I feel is the real issue.

I stayed in my seat last night for both halves and the OT. Had a feeling it was gonna be OT.

Bench lost the game last night. Should have fouled.

We let Dook throw up 15 uncontested shots. Cuse did the same. Gillon had a perfect night. He DID hit some really good shots, but had he been defended, he would NOT have set a PNC record. THAT was PATHETIC…

McCallum
    Participant

When the Wolfpack women win a big game nothing says celebration like an ice cold Fresca.

McCallum

Heelh8r
    Participant

Bench lost the game last night. Should have fouled.

Not disagreeing, but I have seen two instances in the last week where the player knew he was going to be fouled and threw up a shot, but the ref will not call it a three shot foul. They’ve got to call that. It happened in the UNX/Pitt game where three would have tied it, but of course they called the foul before the shot. Someone is going to get caught on that soon.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I didn’t know anyone watched Big Bang Theory. The beta male nature of the characters and the not so subtle homosexual vibes make that show reek of the the last spin of the gene pool going down the toilet.

What is ‘projection,’ Alex?

freshmanin83
    Participant

I have reverted to a “Sidney Lowe” type of apathy. I actually watched Big Bang Theory reruns instead of the game. It has become so bad, that if I come across a State game on the weekend while surfing; I will watch for a moment and then move on… no matter the score. I have better things to do with my time, even though I really like the kids on this team. (Bona fides: I am a State grad, I bleed red, I hate UNC and I bought an F150 because it was State Red and my block S license plate would look great on it.)

McCallum

You seem overly generous in your description of that show McCallum.

freshmanin83
    Participant

When de-nile is not a river in Egypt?

MrPlywood
    Participant

McCallum wrote:

Yes, and we would also have accepted “What is ‘reaction formation’?”

McCallum
    Participant

Here’s a chaw of backy spit each on your “projection” and “reaction formation” comments.

SPIT, ding!

SPIT, ding!

May each of you spend the day lovingly staring into your phones as your wiggle about in your skinny jeans.

McCallum

Rick
    Keymaster

By all appearances and without conclusive evidence from the University Administration, what other conclusion could we reasonably reach? That being the Coach… changing Coaches or AD ain’t gonna accomplish jacksh#t from our point of view?

I worry this is the case. The administration does not seem to care to be good at the revenue sports. I guess the end of this season will give us a good indication.

Rick
    Keymaster
    BJD95
    Keymaster

Is this our first Deadspin since the Thursday Night “golden shower” student section game?

Deadspin was a LOT better then, but this article was spot on.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Well Rick… he’s not incorrect for the most part…

I would take strong exception to the statement(s) that suggest Old Wolves are totally unreasonable in their expectations and would drive off any “good coach”, if one EVER took a job at NCState.

From 1948 to 1991 — for 44 years — we played on a level field with and competed at the top levels of NCAA basketball every year and won Championships. That coupled with all the changes in the sport over those years means something. Forty Four years is a long time.

We also understand how those experiences permeated our entire adult lives in meaningful and positive ways that transcended sports.

For others, you don’t miss what you never had and can’t explain what you haven’t experienced…. some thing you, at times, find it terribly frightening and difficult to admit.

Yes, at times, Old Wolves find it difficult, if not impossible, to communicate their deep seated feelings with others. But for US Old Wolves to be labeled — the a##holes in the crowd — because we are grumpy, OLD WHITE MEN, unreasonable and obnoxious, when in fact we are just calling ’em the way we see ’em based on what we have seen with our own eyes and experienced first hand– is PC-New Age- BULLSH#T.

Most of us have acquired the ‘Grace and Courtesy that Only Comes With Age’ and would be satisfied with finding a solid middle ground and more importantly the plain facts and simple truths.

That means two things…

Don’t bore us with the obvious and tell us things we already know like they are Nobel Prize level discoveries… Best example of that is when you say… “That was a long time ago and times have changed”.

AND quit feeding us BULLSH#T and then smiling and acting like we don’t know it’s BULLSH#T.

We’ve tasted all 27 flavors of Howard Johnson’s Ice Cream.

choppack1
    Participant

Bill – well said. one should remind these “pundits” which is should be noted is very similar to “idiots” that the same thing was said about Clemson in football.

As painful as the last 2 decades or so has been, we have been to the tourney 9 times, and have 3 sweet 16 appearances and 4 ACC championship game appearances.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Thanks…

I left out one thing…

“And stop begging US to pay good money to be insulted with the Obvious and the BULLSH#T.”

Your actions will speak louder than your words.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Athletic department revenue outperforms on-field performance for the same reason ESPN’s revenue is higher than it should be. People are paying for a product they don’t use. Donors (subscribers) who give blindly every year no matter how well or poorly the teams perform. Eventually that bubble will burst and we will be left with a penniless and irrelevant athletics department.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Last 2 home games, if we can just make FTs, we beat Wake/Cuse. DSJ/Mav just cannot miss these in crucial times of the game. More of the same vs. Miami and we can chalk up another loss. The star from Cuse didn’t miss a single FT. Others for State miss them, but these 2(DSJ/Mav) just cannot do this, especially in the end, with the game on the line.

McCallum
    Participant

Athletic department revenue outperforms on-field performance for the same reason ESPN’s revenue is higher than it should be. People are paying for a product they don’t use. Donors (subscribers) who give blindly every year no matter how well or poorly the teams perform. Eventually that bubble will burst and we will be left with a penniless and irrelevant athletics department.

The last part is half right.

The athletic department is already irrelevant.

People will always give because they like having their name in a magazine, on a wall or on a building.

McCallum

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.