Your “I’m Too Apathetic to Think Up a Cute Title” Syracuse Open Thread

Home Forums All StateFansNation Your “I’m Too Apathetic to Think Up a Cute Title” Syracuse Open Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    redwolf87
    Participant

Last year, I thought every week we’d see a new scenario for State to lose a basketball game. And they pretty much did.

This year is the same, except the tragically comic aspect of it, while innovative, has become downright numbing.

I agree with a lot of other posters. This is a repeat of the Alabama death spiral. And it is a dumpster fire. And, at this point, there is almost no reason to think it will get any better next year, if things remain static in the absence of DSJ and Yurtseven (assumptions that both are gone).

Gotta make a move in the next 2 months.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

If they had cement boots after last game, they just got pushed into the water. Will take a miracle to make anything of this season. What a shame. At least we got to see the great DSJ play. He and Ben Simmons should start a club.

Rick
    Keymaster

I turned on the TV to see the last minute and first couple of OT.
    I laughed and changed the channel. Gott is awful.
    Eh, who cares. Get a decent coach and maybe I will reengage but I have no desire to watch this pathetic “team”.

BassPacker
    Participant

The young trophy girlfriend Coach Gott has now must be screwing his brains out…..cause sure as heck don’t know what he was thinking with from the 8 minute mark to the end.

gso packbacker
    Participant

I think my text exchange with a friend summed it up for me.

Him: Wow!
    Me: Indeed

Time to put a bow on it as the only question is whether McCallum’s prediction of 5-11 will be too optimistic at the end of the day. 🙂

choppack1
    Participant

I hate this for the kids. They deserve better.

DSJ and Mav played their butts off…

WolfInVolCountry
    Participant

I have reverted to a “Sidney Lowe” type of apathy. I actually watched Big Bang Theory reruns instead of the game. It has become so bad, that if I come across a State game on the weekend while surfing; I will watch for a moment and then move on… no matter the score. I have better things to do with my time, even though I really like the kids on this team. (Bona fides: I am a State grad, I bleed red, I hate UNC and I bought an F150 because it was State Red and my block S license plate would look great on it.)

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Here’s an incomplete data point:
    For the year ending 6/1/2015; NC State’s Athletic Dept reported that total revenue exceeded total expenses by almost $7M.

Based on a review of all of the ACC schools that I did about the time Marvin got caught eating doughnuts, total revenue would include all monies transferred from the Wolfpack Club to the Athletic Dept. But there is no way to know exactly what the Wolfpack Club took in for that year. I also don’t know exactly what happened to that athletic dept surplus of $7M.

But the only data available to you and me suggests that the athletic dept is no longer barely scraping by.

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/details

(It appears that I can’t directly link to NC State data.)

PS – Several more snippets of interesting information from this web site:

Undergraduate population: 11,800 men vs 9,500 women. That’s a substantial increase in the female percentage since I started school a lifetime ago.

“Not Allocated Revenue” = $13M. Is this the annual check from the ACC?

Rick
    Keymaster

“Not Allocated Revenue” = $13M. Is this the annual check from the ACC?

That should be the “Gott and Archie buyour fund” but I bet its not.

Khan
    Participant

I stand by my “we’re awful” conclusion.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Extreme heat and pressure makes diamonds or explosions….

With people, my experience is that different personalities manifest themselves in different ways during times of extreme pressure. You can change the personalities all you want, but all you get is different color fireworks and the fundamental structural weaknesses of the organization still won’t ever get fixed.

In other words…. fix the fundamental structural weaknesses of the organization FIRST and 90% of your personnel problems fix themselves.

Ya’ll are smart enough to figure out for yourselves what that means with respect to NCState athletics…

Ya’ll have a great day…

It’s 70*plus again down here at the Beach and Spring starts in 23 days…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    13OT
    Participant

Interesting that total revenue exceeds total expenses by about $7,000,000. Is this sustainable given the current direction football and men’s basketball are headed? I think not.

Firing Mark Gottfried will do little more than bring on another coach who will likely be somewhere between mediocre and awful, just like our current football coach. Do we want to be bad until 2020 or 2025, or beyond? No sane Wolfpack fan should want the current AD hiring another football or men’s basketball coach, not after the results we’ve had the past several seasons.

I have had enough of Debbie Yow, not to mention the seemingly never-ending sub-.500 ACC seasons on her watch. I do plan to let the WPC know this when my renewal comes up at the end of this month. If NCSU administrators feel the need to stay this disastrous course, which they apparently do, then they’ll do it with $360 less next year. It’s nowhere near $7 million, but it’s a start.

As long as the big bucks keep rolling in, nothing short of an LTR walkout will get the attention of the NCSU elites who seem to know (and care) as little about winning as I care about paying to be a part of it any longer.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Hire an AD who doesn’t think NC State basketball is an undesirable job. Then get a coach. Plenty of money to make that happen, as VA noted above.

SqlWolf
    Participant

My apathy is running at full blast 11 right now. I was aware of the game last night but didn’t bother turning on the TV until late in the second half. I fully expected our team would be down 10 points. I was pleasantly surprised to see us up by 7. Then I learned we were up by double digits and were right in the middle of a total collapse. As the game and lead dwindled down. I kept feeling the crushing disappointment of missed freethrows. When time ran out and overtime began, I turned off my TV because I could already see the game was lost. I may not watch basketball the rest of this season. I’m so done with watching this “dumbster fire.”

rthomas44
    Participant

I would think most $ is from ESPN.

tvp1
    Participant

Is anyone hearing anything to suggest that a change is even remotely possible?

I have reason to believe that Archie would be very interested. Don’t take it to the bank or anything, but from what I’ve heard the opportunity exists.

McCallum
    Participant

My apathy is running at full blast 11 right now. I was aware of the game last night but didn’t bother turning on the TV until late in the second half. I fully expected our team would be down 10 points. I was pleasantly surprised to see us up by 7. Then I learned we were up by double digits and were right in the middle of a total collapse. As the game and lead dwindled down. I kept feeling the crushing disappointment of missed freethrows. When time ran out and overtime began, I turned off my TV because I could already see the game was lost. I may not watch basketball the rest of this season. I’m so done with watching this “dumbster fire.”

Let me tell you about a place of peace and tranquility. It is a place of quiet and a sense of doom doesn’t pervade the air.

So you ask, “where is this place?”.

It is not far away. Take the first left, go 1/2 mile and stop at the sign that says “Couldnt Give a S.hit USA”.

Life is good here and they don’t serve decaf.

McCallum

Rick
    Keymaster

I am to the point I want there to be zero reason for Yow to keep Gott. I would prefer she not be involved in any coaching search but at this point I am so sick of Gott ball I would take it. If she pulls in Archie then I will retract everything I ever said about her.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I am to the point I want there to be zero reason for Yow to keep Gott.

From a basketball perspective, we’re already there. I’m hopeful that State has the finances to pull off a coaching change with two sets of buyouts (Based on $ info posted above). Also buyouts are rarely lump sum payouts. See “Fowler, Lee”.

But “hopeful” is far short of “certain”. After Hewitt’s disastrous contract, GT had to suck it up for a while after getting rid of Hewitt. I can’t say for sure exactly what State’s financial situation is.

ryebread
    Participant

I watched the game on recorded delay late last night. I had some commitments when it was actually on, but didn’t learn the score so I could watch it “fresh.” I always want to see State win and as discussed in a previous thread, I thought it was one of our best chances at getting a win left on the regular season schedule.

There were some pros. I have now watched all three triple doubles by NC State players in the last 20 years. DSJ is a special player, and honestly looks even better when he is focused on getting others involved (first 2/3rds of the game) than he is when trying to score. That bodes well for him in the pros. It is sad to see some Gott defenders (not necessarily here) throw him under the bus to defend Gott. Imagine how awful this team would be without him. Oh wait, that’s next year’s team if Gott is coaching us.

Mav and Abu both also had really strong games. They each took advantage of a great match up for them. I also thought we looked good when Yurt was at the high post and we were actively feeding the low post.

When we were up 14-16 late, I thought we were in pretty good shape, but when Syracuse went on the 12 point run and we didn’t do anything to stop it, I had a sinking feeling. When it went to OT, I knew it was over. We saw Gottball at its finest — missed free throws, no defense, way too late to call a time out, poor situational awareness, letting one kid light us up in a career game (most points ever scored by a player in the ESA).

I wonder if there’s ever been a game in ACC history where one player had a triple double, a teammate had 30 points and the team still lost. I’ve not looked it up, but it would be fascinating to find if that anomaly existed.

It’s been past time for Gott to be gone. As I said before the game, a win wouldn’t change my opinion of that. A loss doesn’t change it either. Nothing short of a 1983 styled run is going to do that for me.

My only real solace in last night was that with each mounting loss it is going to be harder for Yow to excuse away another year. Eventually it will be bad enough that action must be taken. Note, I would never pull against NC State, and take no joy from a loss, but if there is a silver lining from last night maybe it is that.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

I am to the point I want there to be zero reason for Yow to keep Gott.

From a basketball perspective, we’re already there. I’m hopeful that State has the finances to pull off a coaching change with two sets of buyouts (Based on $ info posted above). Also buyouts are rarely lump sum payouts. See “Fowler, Lee”.

But “hopeful” is far short of “certain”. After Hewitt’s disastrous contract, GT had to suck it up for a while after getting rid of Hewitt. I can’t say for sure exactly what State’s financial situation is.

I’ve come to view those in charge of NC State athletics as a corporation with a CEO directed to keep the share holders happy by staying in the black, winning is optional. Do just enough to keep the consumers from screaming for heads to roll and keep the money rolling in. From my view there is no desire to do everything within the rules and grey areas to win. If that view is wrong then they really suck at it because riddle me the last time NC State won a conference championship in Basketball or Football?

If revenue sports are simply put up with for generating revenue and not wins/championships then why should I care?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

riddle me the last time NC State won a conference championship in Basketball or Football?

1979 – football…note that the conference champs did not play in a bowl (turned down Garden State bowl in New Jersey because it was during exam week.)

1987 – men’s basketball.

Yes, I know that your question was rhetorical.

tractor57
    Participant

to quote a friend of a former coworker “f##k’em an feed then fish eggs”
    I was with Gott until this year – IMO best thing that can happen is DSJ going pro and Gott out to pasture.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Guilty as Gott. When evaluating a player. DSJ is usually a special player on offensive side of the ball. Not so much on the defensive side.

Thompson44
    Participant

We suck, we will continue to suck with the current Coach in place. I am not sure there is a savior for the program out there.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.