Your “Carolina Sucks” Game Thread.

Home Forums All StateFansNation Your “Carolina Sucks” Game Thread.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 388 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Rick and some others… I ain’t busting your chops but… since you’re doing a good job of Coaching those kids and I’m sure you want to do better… you might study up on “The White Line Theory”. I GOTT it directly from the author Coach Hugh Durham (750+ D1 wins at 3 schools) years ago.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Rick
    Keymaster

It is not available on Amazon nor does a Google search find it. Thanks for the advice though, I am always trying to improve.

BassPacker
    Participant

Nope….Not a quote from Gott, it was a press quote after the post game interview. Is it just another dump on DSJ Or just another observation on the game? Hope DSJ scores 50 in the next game, heck, it all the remaining games. Hope he is the MVP of the universe. Hope Gott wins a National Championship with DSJ. Scratch that, hope Gott wins an ACC championship with DSJ. Scratch that, hope Gott wins a game over ole Roy with DSJ.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Rick … don’t know if Coach Durham ever wrote that down nor do I know who told him, although I’m sure somebody did…

Basically, it goes like this…
    Now to be clear, Coach Durham was talking Game Coaching here much more so than Practice Coaching…

The White Line Theory

1. Some nights that Coach Sh#t you pull out of your bag of tricks DURING A TIMEOUT or at HALFTIME, just don’t F’ing work like it’s supposed to — WHEN your kids cross The White Line….

2. Some kids, no matter how many ways or how many times you explained “IT” to them, just don’t know WTF you’re talking about… on either side of The White Line….

3. The White Line can be a seductive monster, if you don’t control it… The White Line can take your kids away from you…. but The White Line always gives ’em back and you GOTT to clean up the mess left behind….

choppack1
    Participant

My only point is that starting from where we were, we had to get to this point in order to get to the next point and everybody knew, I think, it wasn’t going to be overnight…

It’s taken six long years to steadily work out from under the inherited mess and to get seven kids with high potential and little or no college experience on the Team as a real nucleus for the next 2 or 3 years.

And that’s not to say that mistakes have not been made and side steps have not been taken. They have.

Just that ain’t nobody jumping off the ship or the roof over one game.

Bill – And I would be more likely to subscribe to that mindset if Gott didn’t have 10 other years at Alabama. In his second year here, he failed to build on an excellent first year start. In all 5 years, we have seen mediocre defense and poor defensive rebounding.

I seriously doubt these will change and thus, I believe we have seen Gott’s ceiling. This year will likely prove it.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Chop — you might be right… but that wasn’t meant to be a “mindset”, just an observation…

As the old Presbyterian Minister liked to say (speaking of life, in general)…

“You buys your ticket and you takes your ride….”

to which I added, leaving the theology out…

“Life is an excellent adventure and I can’t wait to see what happens next…”

etab4u
    Participant

Yes, I watched the game. Being a realist, I expected us to lose by 20 but not be blown out by over 50.
    We played sloppily out of the gate and were out hustled early. The kids were demoralized and reverted to tossing up threes and playing street ball. Lack of discipline. Also poor in game management to let them go on s 20-2 or so run early without stopping play to try and correct the situation. But that’s just the start.
    No defense, poor defensive rebounding, couldn’t get a foul call on put backs (tendencies you know…) – but didn’t kick it back out until in the second hslf, etc. Poor team play ang just bad basketball
    If our “top 40” coach can get these guys to play as s cohesive team by the ACCT, he’s a miracle worker. If not, I’ve seen enough and it’s time to move on. Gott to go.

Rick
    Keymaster

Life is. State basketball is not

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

If our “top 40? coach can get these guys to play as s cohesive team by the ACCT, he’s a miracle worker.

Miracles aside…. Getting their Kids to play as a cohesive unit is the Number One challenge of every D1 Coach these days and the higher ranked you are the tougher that challenge is….

“Uncle Roy’s ‘CutTheHeadOffoftheSnake” gameplan…”

Part Three:

If the HOLES make it to Final Four or better this year… they ought to, but won’t, give us half the credit…
    We’ve done Uncle Roy’s miracle for him…

They’ve all tasted the Blood.

It’s up to Uncle Roy to hold ’em together for the next 10 weeks… and that’s the second toughest job in Coaching….

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

bill.onthebeach wrote:

Life is. State basketball is not

Let’s say that — this way…

If State Basketball is your life and you’re not gainfully employed thereby…

Then you might ought to consider looking for a new, more well rounded, Life.

——————

Rick… how come you didn’t change the title of the topic as requested?

Rick
    Keymaster

Rick… how come you didn’t change the title of the topic as requested?

It’s not my thread. I have boundaries 🙂

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^np…

If you want the rest of “The White Line Theory” you’ll have to email me…
    If I posted it here… this place would blow up….

WTNY
    Participant

51 points. 2nd worst loss in NC State HISTORY.

No excuse for year six. Yes we have a young team but Gott will always have a young team.

Embarrassing.

Adventuroo
    Participant

OK,
    THIS probably will NOT show. My posts have been SHOWING and THEN disappearing and I did not use any Political terms.

Jimmy V ran a slack practice. The “stars” got to lollygag around and did not get pushed as much as the rest of the team. That is well documented in many of the books about JV and also from the players and even a couple of “JV’isms”.

Coach Gottfried runs a totally structured and to the minute practice. His note cards and, I think, the BIG clock, are the LAW. You do NOT deviate. NOW, when he and Coach Lutz got into some elevated voice discussions last year, the timetable DID suffer. Nothing changed….but the personnel. Coach Lutz was very frank in his comments and emails. He was FIRED. BUT AD Yow allowed him to work on until October for NC Retirement vesting. THEN he left.

I kidded and said that Coach Lutz packed up our defense and took it with him. MAYBE he also stole some of the offense. Whatever happened today was probably the most embarrassing loss that I have seen a WP team endure….and THAT covers more years that I want to admit.

With all deference to BOTB’s “White Line” Theory, I have to WONDER. IF you run a tight ship and a structured practice, then obviously your team is NOT LEARNING. We did look like a street pick-up game and certainly NOT executing the SYSTEM….handed down from the rafters of Pawley by God Wooden. We are setting losing records that would even embarrass Dave Doeren.

We need some MOTIVATION….assuming that we have GOOD coaching….Jim Harrick, our $pecial Bench Consultant does NOT seem to bring that to the group. I vote for hiring Joe Gibbs. Anyone that can motivate (through a financial reward….or penalty) a NASCAR Pit Crew to constantly BEAT their times and also the rigors of perfect execution is ON TO SOMETHING. I think we ought to hire him.

Valvano was a GAME coach. Gottfried seems to be a practice coach. IF we ever start to practice what he preaches….we will be invincible. BUT, no Gottfried team has EVER been able to do that.

There will NOT be a Come to Jesus meeting. Coach was allowed back on the bus and did not have to UBER back home. Maybe he SHOULD have….

This is NOT going to be a good season. BUT, unless the NBA is really STUPID, Y7 and DSJ will NOT be in the Lottery Pick category….that is a fact of life. DSJ looked like CJ Leslie….how’s that working out?

ryebread
    Participant

I cut the game off after 4 minutes. My 3 year old son asked why and I told him we had way better things to do than watch garbage.

If there’s any good out of today, maybe it is that the excuse mongers finally see Gott for what he is. Nope, it is because the game was rescheduled, our star player set a poor tone, Roy is a HOF coach, it was cold outside, etc.. Some seemingly will never wake up.

The Emporer has no clothes. He was a bad hire and the worst type of one because he’s just good enough not to get fired, yet never good enough to win anything of note. I disliked the hire from second one and was done with him last year. Maybe the rank and file is starting to wake up.

There were rumors that when Schroyer was hired that we were hedging on Gott. If he imploded, the reigns would be handed over to Schroyer. Well, I’m not sure I’ve seen many implosions as bad as today’s results, so it may as well be Heath time.

Yow’s got to go before this gets fixed. If I were Randy, I’d have a meeting with her tomorrow morning asking for her early retirement. It is going to be hard making that endowment push when beat downs like that are being dolled out. She’s bad for business. It can be spun that she’s improved things greatly and has done all here that she can (both of which are true).

McCallum
    Participant

The coach should be fired immediately.

McCallum

Adventuroo
    Participant

Me thinks, after scrolling down to get to the comments, that it is “Tuffy” that should be depicted with crutches and bandages and tattered uniform.
    We got anhilated in the Dean Dome. UNC’s talent is probably better, on any given day, but they’re also beatable. Fuss and cuss about ORW, he had a better game plan and his laddies were better coached and executed it (or maybe us) flawlessly.
    To paraphrase an old movie line…What is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to NCSU BB? Answer is, It hasn’t yet happened.
    That covers Les, Herbie and Sydney.
    What a sad commentary.

eas
    Participant

51 point loss to the TarHoles. Again, 51 freaking points! I don’t know why I kept watching but I did. Every year my kids tell me it’s OK because we’ve never been good. They say you will get an upset or two every year. My kids aren’t Wolfpack fans and I’m in a house divided by blue. It’s sickening but kids like winner’s. It’s a simple fact. I/we say they cheat, they’re pricks eating wine and cheese, no institutional control, blah blah. ALL TRUE but in the end we still suck a lot more than we should. That’s what gets me. Sure we may make a run at tournament time and get our hopes up. Another bubble year of mediocrity is what I see. Has Gott put us in a better position overall? Absolutely but he has been paid well for it and we continue to level out at where we are every year. Every year our talent seems to get better (he’s a good recruiter no doubt) but the net result remains the same on the court. Sorry but this Jeckyl and Hide basketball game play year to year sucks. His defense still sucks donkey balls and the offense normally resembles the And1 mix tape games minus the players to make it happen. A hot streaky team is what we are on a good night/day but most days we are a poorly organized team with so many lazy tendencies. How many times were shooters left WIDE open with huge spacing? Our bigs barely move (especially Anya who obviously has missed a year of hard work).

Gott has moved the needle to a better place no doubt but that doesn’t mean he gets the “better than the last guy” treatment every freaking year. We are pretty stagnant with a talented group of players, again. They are kids and it’s hard I understand. However, everyone has the same kids to deal with and they’re many Coaches (heck most of the ACC coaches) who find a way to work through the “kids and attitude” issues. Again, 51 point loss that you paid for and at the wonderful blue $hit dome. Soap box removed…..

McCallum
    Participant

I’ve never used drugs nor do I approve of their use but that white line theory billotb is talking about appears to be something he snorted.

McCallum

YogiNC
    Participant

Randy should have Yow and Gott sitting in his office this AM. When he enters he should hand both a sheet of paper and say “Write out your resignations”. Luckily I was watching my Steelers dismantle the fish from south beach, I recorded the BB game and deleted it without even starting it. 51 points? REALLY? Musta been payback for the butt kicking we gave the FB team.

Smarter than the average bear

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^^Ha! that’s a good one… and at 5:30 in the morning… must be some good coffee…

To be clear…. back in the days before the Three Point Shot, all the sidelines on the basketball courts everywhere were “White”…

So recognizing the opportunities for confusion and misunderstanding, and political agendas, I ought to be up-to-date and politically correct. I need to update the title of Coach Durham’s Theory to “The Sideline Theory”, and for the visually impaired – “The Whistle Blows”.

A good part of what Coach was saying was… “You can’t play the game for your kids and sometimes they just don’t do what you tell to do, especially on the big stage in the heat of the game”.

Rick
    Keymaster

Botb,
    I will send an email but the theory kind of sounds like a coach shrugging his shoulders and saying ‘Ive done all I can do. It’s not my fault’.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Need some REALLY strong coffee….or whatever. It has not been 24 hours and I am STILL asking WHY. BUT, I got to wondering…

http://northcarolina.247sports.com/Bolt/The-toughest-UNC-basketball-losses-in-the-last-10-years–45466925

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1/year/2012

January 14, 2012. AT FSU FSU 90 & UNC 57. UNC was ranked #3 at the time. UNC finished with a 29 – 5 record and was #4 in the final AP rankings.

One game does NOT a season make….but we have had two lapses already…

I wonder if our lads have the “confidence” that the 2012 UNC team had as to their ability to not let one really bad experience screw up their season. I do NOT have that confidence that our coaching staff can “muddle through this…” and THAT is a real shame….

Texpack
    Participant

107 to 56. I rest my case.

For me, I’ll not be taking a dump on one of the best point guards to ever come through the program.

If you are talking about DSJ, he might be a Top 10 PG in program history. His flaws are things I learned not to do in Rec League ball when I was 10 years old. Lo Brown, without the benefit of watching practice and being with the team ahead of Gott’s arrival, was light years ahead of DSJ with respect to running this offense. He may end up having a fantastic NBA career, but as a college PG he is lacking in a big way.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

One game does NOT a season make….but we have had two lapses already…

Don’t forget two more in the OOC schedule.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 388 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.