Your “Carolina Sucks” Game Thread.

Home Forums All StateFansNation Your “Carolina Sucks” Game Thread.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 388 total)
  • Author
    McCallum
    Participant

The coach should be fired immediately.

McCallum

Rick
    Keymaster

Rescheduling is as good an excuse as any I suppose.

Rick
    Keymaster

The coach should be fired immediately.

McCallum

Not going to happen. Woodson and Yow are happy so….

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

From the coaches we have to the kinds of players they’re recruiting, it’s not working.

Players aren’t the problem. There’s not a single team in the nation that wouldn’t want Dennis Smith.. and only a handful of teams that wouldn’t trade their roster for ours.

BassPacker
    Participant

Look out OT13, some on this site will 100% disagree with your statement some of our players need to start playing team ball instead of for the NBA. I for one agree 100% with that statement. The UNC – VT game was bout as close as two opposites that will ever see in Pack play. So was the outcome.

Rick
    Keymaster

Look out OT13, some on this site will 100% disagree with your statement some of our players need to start playing team ball instead of for the NBA. I for one agree 100% with that statement. The UNC – VT game was bout as close as two opposites that will ever see in Pack play. So was the outcome.

Coaches job to get them to.

Six years different players with the same problems. There is one constant.

Texpack
    Participant

This one convinced me we have gone as far as we can go under GOTT. Fringe Top 30 team with the occasional Sweet 16. I think he’s at least made the job attractive enough to get an upgrade.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

It’s a FACT — Motivation is a very KEY part of Coaching…

consider this…

Abu and Anya haven’t been the same since coming back from the NBA camps EARLY last summer…
    Coaching degree of difficulty on fixing that, at this point… 9 out of 10

Why is it, nobody’s talking ’bout our “Senior / Upperclass” Leadership???

7 of the other 9 have played TWO conference games, NONE in the NoseDome or Cameron…
    they have all watched that on TV and thought one day that will be me…
    Coach(s) can talk to ’em and tell ’em…

BUT it ain’t real until you’ve done it yourself…
    just like the first time with the big “P”.

You can’t win at Cameron or the NoseDome until you’ve played there a couple of times…

It’s not much different for Coaches… Remember “our BELOVED” went 0-10 or so in the HOLE..

Coaching degree of difficulty on beating the odds on this point… 12 out of 10

Now, all that being true..
    We coulda, shoulda played a hellavalot better today than we did…
    That’s a fact, Jack.

Reminds me of an old saying of sorts…
    When we’re good — nobody’s better.
    When we’re bad — nobody’s worse.

As far the NBA is concerned…
    the only thing that approaches the level of intense pressure from within and without that compares to a Big Four Basketball game are elimination Games in the Playoffs.

Across the country… maybe UK/Louisville; Michigan/Michigan State; UCLA/USC and a very few others… come close when you you consider the quality of the talent on the court and the in state rivalry…. Nothing in the NBA after expansion — maybe the Sixers, Celtics and Knicks had something close, generations ago — comes close.

If you want to play in the NBA — 99% play College Ball first… This is College Ball and this is where you start learning how to prepare and play in playoff elimination games in the NBA.

I’m gonna give the 7 out 9 a pass on today’s game and hope for the best… besides, “dwelling on it” ain’t gonna fix a thing.

As far as Coach(s) go… this game could prove to be eerily similar to the AnthonyAgainstThe World-1for13-firsttimeintheNoseDome game as few years ago — We know how that turned out, at least, for Anthony and CALVIN and Richard.

We shall see.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Come on man. Poor old coach recruited some bad apples show boating for NBA scouts? That wasn’t the case today, bud. Your solution I suppose is to recruit 2 stars? Find some hard working diamonds in the rough. Then we’ll turn the corner!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OT13 — you sir are not entirely incorrect in your conclusions….

At the top levels… the Modern Land Grant University does NOT appear to strive for Excellence in Athletics at anywhere close to the same levels as in it’s Engineering/ Science/ Technical Programs.

They seem to have forgotten that Excellence in Athletics does not contradict, but instead, inspires the academic side of the house.

They do like the Money and their warm, soft seats on gameday.

choppack1
    Participant

Abu and Anya haven’t been the same since coming back from the NBA camps EARLY last summer…
    Coaching degree of difficulty on fixing that, at this point… 9 out of 10

Why is it, nobody’s talking ’bout our “Senior / Upperclass” Leadership???

Perhaps because all indications are that these guys are decent blokes and because it’s very rare that guys hang around his program for 3 or 4 years.

Here’s a question for you – why is a kid like Tyler Lewis willing to ride the pine @ butler?

Perhaps, it’s an issue of respect- if you aren’t one of the “pets.”

Look, Gott is a decent coach. He is a good recruiter. However, there’s little indication we can expect much more than an NCAA bubble bid. He has been coaching p5 basketball for 16 years and has 1 conference regular season title, 1 division title and an elite 8.

He must have a lot of issues with upper class leadership.

BassPacker
    Participant

Come on man, you have to admit Smith came out of the gate with more desire for a showcase moment than a team win…… All I’m saying. He dug a hole the first few minutes: one on one first series, threw up brick(s), turn the ball over, made poor passes and had two quick fouls in the process. Then settled down on the bench while his team struggled to gain any momentum. My POINT is (was) Smith came out forced it instead of letting game come to him at a new and hostile game site. It hurt the team and its confidence, specially after he hit the splinters. They were beat before it hardly started. That was Smith. That was not on GOTT. Team ball is coaching, I agree. But it was obvious Smith had his own game plan too. Gott can’t be faulted if a player has his own agenda. It looked that way from the tip, IMO.

I agree this team is talented. Probably most talented since 1973. And this Cheat team is overrated. With that said, it makes this loss hurt more and goes on Gott. I like most do admit quick to point fingers with arm chair solutions. Its on Gott to coach the talent. His history as some have pointed out is not on our side. Frustration has overridden hope….again.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Dude, we lost 107 to 56. One hundred and seven points to fifty six points.

To put that on a single player is asinine. If DSJ wasn’t even on the roster that’s not acceptable.

One of those ole fashion agree to disagrees I reckon… YIKES!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Chop…

College basketball recruiting has always been, and it’s worse today than ever, bipolar… in two respects.

First… a very few Coaches and Programs “choose” the kids they want …
    and
    Everybody Else (that’s us) fights like hell for the rest of the D1 level kids…

Then’s where it gets sh#tty – everywhere – by a matter of degrees….

When you’re “selling”, there’s a “tendency” that can could back to haunt you…
    The basic premise is …

1. If you do the Work…
    2. I’ll do the Coaching…
    This will be good.

which is “offered” on the basis of
    3. a good understanding by both parties — each of who the other really is…

Deals are lost. Deals are made.

Then the “Fun” Begins…

Fantasy meets Reality Head On.

If there’s a breakdown… let’s re-examine…
    I’ll always start with #3… that’s something that was undiscovered during the due diligence process… could be innocent, could be a misrepresentation or worse….

then go to #1…
    last look at #2… but frankly this is rare… Coaches — there’s always more than one on every squad — are pros and this is what they do — Coach’s generally get the benefit of the doubt in the absence of incontrovertible evidence. It’s kinda like being a Contractor… you learn NOT to sell anything, you don’t want to build.

Somewhere in the process, some Coaches go from being Super Salesmen to Frankenstein…. at least according to the Kids.

Parents who are unrealistic and their kids with little real world experience often have a hard time “adjusting” to Reality.

Each handles that in their own way….
    Some buckle down and do extra work, some leave, some sulk…

Coach(s), in the meantime, have a contractual obligation to the rest of the kids on their team.
    Kids and some cases parents… have more time to twitter and FB their frustrations…

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

107 to 56. I rest my case.

For me, I’ll not be taking a dump on one of the best point guards to ever come through the program.

choppack1
    Participant

Bass – he has done that plenty, but still gets the minutes. Hence, the lack of respect thing. I guess he only does this in games.

This is year 6 for Gott. We should have an idea of what a Gott led program will look like…or we could just look at the second half of his career @ bama

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

BP and Troll.. you’re both right in your observations…
    your conclusions are another matter… I ain’t gonna try to read any 19 yr kid I don’t know’s mind from a distance… ya’ll shouldn’t either…

Nerves v. Agenda is frankly a stupid argument to have…

Does really matter, the results are the same.

The rest of the TEAM followed and no one else on the floor picked up the slack…

The bigger question is simply this…

“Ya’ll think the Freshman and his Friends have learned this lesson???”

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

“Ya’ll think the Freshman has learned his lesson???”

who’s job is it to teach him the “lesson”?

Furthermore, what is the lesson that needs to be taught based on this game to this one particular kid? He could have been Kobe Bryant tonight and we lose by 25.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

The rest of the TEAM followed and no one else on the floor picked up the slack…

The rest of the team “followed” DSJ to have all have a sh!tty game? I don’t buy it.

choppack1
    Participant

Botb – you are correct. The game is different today, but yet some coaches operate in this environment better than others.

Gott does a great job of getting talent here. However, when I see what I have seen the last few years, I see a lack of accountability for the “leaders”. Now, if you are a sub, you are held accountable and your leash is short. Otoh, if you’re a “pet”, you are shown the patience of Job.

Now, this approach has paid some dividends, but I don’t think it’s helping us go from good to great.

Heelh8r
    Participant

I think you are saying a lot of what I’ve been thinking. So many here act like GOTT don’t know how to coach, can’t coach D, doesn’t teach fundamentals, Blah blah blah. I am pretty sure there are few in coaching who know the game better than GOTT. Knowing what needs to be done ain’t the problem, it’s getting the kids to do it. That’s the hardest part of any job where you are leading people. It gets especially harder when you have kids who think they know more than you do, or have someone else in their ear telling them what they need to do or work on. Sure, being able to motivate is a part of the job too, probably the biggest part aside from recruiting. He’s GOTT his hands full now keeping his team together, because that was NOT team ball today.

There was no part of the game today that was good. Not one single player had a decent line score. But it is the same team who beat VT by 26 last game that gave us hope we could win today. DSJ had a triple double and thought he was going to do it again today. We’ll see where it goes, nobody knows. Hey, most everybody else has had a bad loss of their own, admittedly not as bad as this one, but we came back from Miami, let’s do it again.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

DSJ have a bad game? Yep. Did other players on the team throw up 10-15 airballs? Did everyone except DSJ play decent defense? How’d the rest of the team do dribbling the ball? Rebounding? I think it’ really messed up to pin this avalanche of an ass whipping on him. There wasn’t a single bright spot in the game today. The entirety of the team was awful. One player didn’t set off some kind of domino effect that was never at any point remedied.

It’s more plausible that the team was roofied than DSJ alone caused this loss.

BassPacker
    Participant

“The rest of the TEAM followed and no one else on the floor picked up the slack…” Guess needed someone say it better for you to get what I’m saying Troll?

How the game started had a huge effect on the outcome of the game…..period. Even how much they lost by. Down by 19 in first 5 minutes and you can see the game was lost before it started. Poor play by Smith was followed by poor play by the rest of team is well said. It can’t be overstated, mentally it took the team out of game by Smith’s early play. Its not dumping on Smith, its what happened, IMO. Guess we can agree to not agree. Sometimes criticism is part of the learning curve. Perhaps it was in Gotts game plan for Smith to be aggressive, IDK. But it changed the game and outcome. Cant say it enough, you can’t win the game in the first few minutes but you can lose it.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

who’s job is it to teach him the “lesson”?

If i’m coaching that’s on me…

I’m starting with all of my kids, not just one and the fundamentals of “how WE play basketball games”, which is not the same thing as the fundamentals of playing basketball, ie dribbling, passing, shooting, defense, x*o’s….

1. Play smart… read the other team, what they’re doing… let the game come to you in the first 5 minutes and longer if needed…]
    2. Team ball… when our stud is double teamed or in trouble, the rest of us have to do our job and his job too…
    3. Trust me and my way of doing things… don’t think you know more than I do… if ya’ll can’t beat ’em, I’ll out-coach ’em…

Now… You KNOW I’m gonna bust my a## with my kids…

But at the end of the season, I already know I’m going have some successes, some failures and some surprises on the player level… and somebody is gonna tell my wife I’m a dumb SOB…

I just try like hell not to think about that until it becomes patently obvious and necessary.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Guess needed someone say it better for you to get what I’m saying Troll?

You and whoever else can say that till your blue in the face. It doesn’t make it REMOTELY true.

DSJ poor play in the first 3 minutes caused some irreversible out of control spiral to a 51 point loss that couldn’t even be reigned in by the head coach at any point throughout the rest of the game. That’s hilarious. Well Markel Johnson comes in and the team played a lot better right? WRONG. Every last one of them played like trash for 40 minutes.

If it makes you feel better about the outcome and our coach to blame this on DSJ for being a rebel renegade giving the finger to the man causing the entire team to come of the rails for a 51 point loss then bad for you.. because it’s ignorant.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 388 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.