Trevor Lacey to turn pro – 2016 excitement deflated

Home Forums All StateFansNation Trevor Lacey to turn pro – 2016 excitement deflated

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 284 total)
  • Author
    YogiNC
    Participant

CD, just for the “record” (pun intended) Mac Park came out in 68 so ya ain’t gotta be too old to remember it. I played it often if I needed a boys room break since it was a LONG song, 7 minutes worth. Layla came along in 72 and that was another 7 minute “break song”. It’s funny to me because both lyrics can be applied here. most would be begging Lacey to stay if they could. Hey guys IT IS WHAT IT IS! Nothing you can do about it and no manner of weeping or gnashing of teeth will change it. That being said I’d like to say “Line it up on the 35 and kick the damn thing through the end zone…LET’S PLAY FOOTBALL!” The last time I was this excited about an upcoming season was 2001, SERIOUSLY!

Smarter than the average bear

Wolfanatic
    Participant

PapaJohn
    Participant

Love to read this stuff. Am constantly amazed by those on the site pronouncing the annual “Gott has maxed out” epitaph on his career. And this year I think someone added on this site, “but I don’t know if we could do any better.” So Gott’s inadequate, but we can’t do better. So what are we supposed to do about that, shoot ourselves?

A few years ago the line was, “Sure Gott made it to the S16, but he did it with Sid’s players. Can he do it with his own players?” That would be a ‘yup.’

Then it was, “He can recruit, but can develop them?” Well Trevor was a lot better player this year than he was in his two previous playing years at UA. I think we’d agree Cat’s getting better, BJ certainly had a better year, Abu improved a ton from beginning to the end of the year, he got ‘Calvin’ to be a team player … so I’d say, “yup.’

And of course, “He can’t coach defense.” Well, you have to admit that our defense was better by the end of this season than we have seen so far. I’d give him a half ‘yup’ on that, because I’d like to send the trend continue.

And another one, “He’s not a bench coach.” Well, I saw him call three timeouts back to back and change the course of a game. (which I thought was a mistake at the time) We’ve seen him throw a zone or a trap and change the course of a game. They aren’t always winning strategies, but he’s trying stuff. But I do think he is not going to ever be accused of over coaching, just not his style. Remember Sid whistling and trying to call every possession? How we hated that??? So maybe not the greatest bench coach, but he’s not sitting there reading a book either. And he has beaten some pretty good coaches. Sadly, we lost the guy I think was the greatest bench coach ever – Jimmy V.

Bottom line – Let’s not throw dirt on his face yet, he may yet win over the most ardent groaners. I think he is improving. But, we shall see.

“But we got a shortage of guards for next year” – Well, we went from having one of the best guard tandems in the country that no one was whining about, to in dire straits when one guy left. It sucks that TL left, no doubt about it. But do you think that Gott (guard), Moxley (guard), or Whitt (guard) might have noticed and are trying to fix it? Whether they will or not, who knows? But I’m giving those former guards with 50+ years of coaching experience enough credit to think they realize that the most important position in college ball is the guard.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Duke lands PG Derryck Thornton..Jones out, Thornton in..problem solved..

BJD95
    Keymaster

Come on, we are State fans. Shooting ourselves in the head can never be taken off the table completely like. It’s kind of like being a Jets fan that way.

God help any of ye poor bastards who happen to be BOTH.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Oh, and a little birdie tells me we are still in the thick of it for that good recruit. Seinfeld’s mailman nemesis, I believe.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Duke lands PG Derryck Thornton..Jones out, Thornton in..problem solved..

And that’s what being an elite program does for you. Must be nice.

tjfoose1
    Participant

No, not an elite program, but what Coach K can do. Coaching USA basketball was huge for his cred to those ‘rent-a-player’ types.

Rick
    Keymaster

So Gott’s inadequate, but we can’t do better. So what are we supposed to do about that, shoot ourselves?

I guess we could constantly post about how awesome we are but that would be about as much fun as a cowdog decoder ring 9cuz half the fun of his posts are figuring out what he said).

WolfWiz11
    Participant

It would be great to land Newman or Ingram, but what’s the chance of that happening, realistically? I look at the other teams on Ingram’s list and I flinch. I respect Gott for being in the mix. I’m also sure he has a contingency plan in place. Also, props to him for not making any comments, good or bad, regarding TL’s departure. DD, take note.

ryebread
    Participant

We’re seemingly not getting Ingram. Duke got a PG yesterday that Ingram supposedly wants to play with.

My strategy at this point is to just ignore basketball recruiting. We’ll have who we have at the start of the year. It beats wasting time trying to understand the whims of 17-18 year olds and reading into all those trying to influence them.

I’m trying to move to a zen like place with respect to NC State basketball, Gott, etc.. The fact that we may probably never again win anything significant in my lifetime is something that I’m just going to try and accept. I must accept that which I cannot change because I certainly have no ability here to change what I cannot accept.

I will take point at one thing that I’d not responded to earlier. This is a top 20 basketball program / job. It has been for a long time. You can look at almost any metric by which these things are judged and you’ll see us in the top 20 — championships, recruit rankings, revenues, coaching salary, facilities, market evaluations, brand evaluation, attendance, etc.. The only thing you won’t see us consistently there with is the actual on the court results.

That’s why I’ve got high expectations for our basketball coaches. Until we’re consistently in the top 20 all regular season and solidly in the tournament, we’re not living up to the inherent advantages of our program. We’re going to need to be solidly in the tournament before we’re going to get a path that will unfold to let us realistically break through.

We missed a golden opportunity this year. Once we beat Nova, we effectively inherited the path of the #1 seed. Then we promptly lost. All excuses about Cat’s health, etc. aside, it was right in front of us for the taking and we seemingly choked it away. That’s a tough pill to swallow given we’ve been wandering lost in the desert for so long.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Frankly, I feel Cat getting sick was wholly due to nerves. That’s when we lost the game. When you’re elite, you don’t get nervous in big moments. You capitalize.

StateRed44
    Participant

Can’t believe I am still reading complaints about how the season ended. The season was above and beyond all expectations and there are still complainers.

Different topic. Why didn’t KW just redshirt here. Likely 2 of the 3 in front of him for playing time would be gone. He would be a starter again given the green light. Makes no sense to leave for purely playing time purposes.

pakfanistan
    Participant

My strategy at this point is to just ignore basketball recruiting.

My approach to NC State basketball…

Life is suffering

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Can’t believe I am still reading complaints about how the season ended.

Yea sorry, I’m just kinda tired of the NFL Winston vs Mariota talk and not interested in the NBA playoffs. I’m ready for bball season again 🙂

Rick
    Keymaster

Can’t believe I am still reading complaints about how the season ended. The season was above and beyond all expectations and there are still complainers.

Different topic. Why didn’t KW just redshirt here. Likely 2 of the 3 in front of him for playing time would be gone. He would be a starter again given the green light. Makes no sense to leave for purely playing time purposes.

I can’t believe people keep complaining about the complaints without actually adressing them.

StateRed44
    Participant

Don’t follow you Rick, address what? Season was beyond expectations, what else should be said? Gott’s tenure has so far been what was hoped for, no?

Stan, that pic is perfect. Enjoy the ball games. No records are kept for the offseason.

ryebread
    Participant

44: I think you might be confused. There’s complaining and there’s disappointment. These are two different things. I’m in the latter department. Maybe that’s not coming across in my point.

Where I AM complaining is when people run down the job to support their argument. I saw it earlier in this thread, and I don’t like it. We saw that when HWSNBN was here as well.

This is a great job. The coaches are well paid to do it. We as a fan base should expect results in line with the resources and potential of this job.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Where I AM complaining is when people run down the job to support their argument.

I didn’t see this, but let’s assume that you are correct. What do the last two coaching searches tell you about the desirability of the NC State job?

There are extenuating circumstances in both searches, but the overall conclusion that I draw is that the job is not seen as desirable. I don’t like that conclusion, but I don’t see any evidence for any other conclusion.

Rick
    Keymaster

Don’t follow you Rick, address what? Season was beyond expectations, what else should be said? Gott’s tenure has so far been what was hoped for, no?

Everything is awesome!!!!!!!
    Kumbya and all that

Rick
    Keymaster

Where I AM complaining is when people run down the job to support their argument.

I didn’t see this, but let’s assume that you are correct. What do the last two coaching searches tell you about the desirability of the NC State job?

There are extenuating circumstances in both searches, but the overall conclusion that I draw is that the job is not seen as desirable. I don’t like that conclusion, but I don’t see any evidence for any other conclusion.

I came to the same conclusion and that is why I question whether we can actually get a better coach.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I am both pleased with having made the sweet 16 and annoyed at missing the chance to go further (especially with Lacey gone). My disappoint is less finger-pointy because of Cat’s literal bed-shitting (hee hee) and the hope that maybe we have more of a contingency plan than I originally thought.

Plus, there is the fatalistic “the fuckall else we gonna do” factor. I do think we have to hold MG accountable if he fails, but I retch at the thought of another search, and the odds of us coming up better than his B+ are really not good.

Which takes me back to FUCK EVERYTHING.

StateRed44
    Participant

We can get a better coach because we have had better coaches. Not sure if we ever will. But, there is no reason to expect at this point that we won’t ever have a better season with Gott than what we have seen to this point either. It can fall both ways. What is clear though is that we DO NOT have a birthright to expect to be good (top 20) year in and out, nor do we have coaches clamoring for this spot at this time. Another thing to consider is Gott has kept it clean so far. If that is a priority for you, can’t say the same for Roy, Dean, V, Sloan, Case.

packbackr04
    Participant

.. and Newman to MSU. so what we gonna do now BJD? we waited so long fro Newman we missed out on some grad transfers we were looking at… Looks like Gotts gonna go down with an 0-fer this offseason. at least he went out swinging i guess

Wufpacker
    Participant

^ You sure about that? I was under the impression he wasn’t announcing before Friday midday, and can’t currently find any source saying otherwise.

EDIT – Never mind…found it. I guess he’ll either confirm the rumor on
    Friday or not.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25159355/five-star-recruit-malik-newman-plans-to-commit-to-mississippi-state

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 284 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.