Trevor Lacey to turn pro – 2016 excitement deflated

Home Forums All StateFansNation Trevor Lacey to turn pro – 2016 excitement deflated

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 284 total)
  • Author
    Heelh8r
    Participant

CD – You seem to speak in some sort of code that I have the hardest time deciphering. I think I may be in a little over my head here. Plus, you keep using words that I have to go and look up, which isn’t so bad because I love learning new ones. But even then, I keep finding myself just scratching my head.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Dang, CD, I was hoping that you would respond to my post and that you would take it in the spirit it was intended. There were several compliments embedded in there that you may not have caught the first time through. Point being, I enjoy trying to figure out what the heck you are talking about in your posts. I wasn’t sure if I was one of the “couple others” you were glad to see back, but if so, thanks, just trying to pull my weight here.

pakfanistan
    Participant

He probably hasn’t seen it. I doubt he would be offended by it. He hasn’t been the last 50 times it’s been said.

ryebread
    Participant

I missed all of that other stuff. Sounds like it was a good thing because it wasn’t constructive.

I will say that I agree with CD that we don’t at this point who will be on the roster by fall. We will wait and see. I think the staff is good at scrambling around at the end so we’ll probably be okay.

I just wish that one day we’d be better than okay. It’s been a long time since 1989. I’ve gone from a child to a man with grey hair and children of my own in that time. We have had 3 Sweet 16s, just blew our best chance to parlay that into more, and have watched any solace from that disappear with Lacey. It is increasingly hard to be patient.

Rick
    Keymaster

I missed all of that other stuff. Sounds like it was a good thing because it wasn’t constructive.

I will say that I agree with CD that we don’t at this point who will be on the roster by fall. We will wait and see. I think the staff is good at scrambling around at the end so we’ll probably be okay.

I just wish that one day we’d be better than okay. It’s been a long time since 1989. I’ve gone from a child to a man with grey hair and children of my own in that time. We have had 3 Sweet 16s, just blew our best chance to parlay that into more, and have watched any solace from that disappear with Lacey. It is increasingly hard to be patient.

This.
    We missed such an opportunity with the loss to UL. The only solace was the potential for a great year next year. Alas the hope of that year has been severely squashed as the roster has been slashed to 7 players with only one guard. Hopefully Gott pulls a rabbit out of his hat but I cannot shake the feeling that we have seen the best he has to offer.
    0 recruits this year.Cat and KH are probably gone next year.
    In an ever transient college basketball you have to grab the opportunities when you get them and we missed the best I have seen in 20 plus years. Is Gott capable of leading a team to something special? Strike one.
    He has pulled us up to the “good” stage but has not taken that next step. He is running out of time. He cannot play the “potential” card any longer.

MP
    Participant

^ WE opened up the bracket by beating Villanova. Talk about wanting cake and eating it too:

If we had broken through to the Final Four this year, Gott would very likely be our coach for the next 5 years – REGARDLESS of what happens next season.

The departure of Lacey / KW now means next year puts more pressure on Gott to show you (and others) ‘something special’ that you haven’t seen yet. If we go into the tank, wouldn’t that provide ammunition to those who think Gott is not the best for NC State?

You don’t appear to be ‘such a big fan’ of Gott, so what exactly are you trying to get at? I want my Final Four… But I want a different coach once I get it?

Rick
    Keymaster

^ WE opened up the bracket by beating Villanova. Talk about wanting cake and eating it too:

If we had broken through to the Final Four this year, Gott would very likely be our coach for the next 5 years – REGARDLESS of what happens next season.

The departure of Lacey / KW now means next year puts more pressure on Gott to show you (and others) ‘something special’ that you haven’t seen yet. If we go into the tank, wouldn’t that provide ammunition to those who think Gott is not the best for NC State?

You don’t appear to be ‘such a big fan’ of Gott, so what exactly are you trying to get at? I want my Final Four… But I want a different coach once I get it?

I like Gott but am not convinved he can do more than he has. I am also not sure we can get a better coach.
    But I do call em like I see em and that was a huge miss this year. To beat Vill but not be able to follow through on it is mighty dissapointing. Not to mention the recruiting and inability to keep players is very concerning (63% of his players leave NCSU before finishing their eligibility).

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Had we beaten a 1 seeded Duke or Kentucky I could see Rick & Rye’s point. But we beat a 1 seeded Villanova; a team the regularly exits the tournament earlier than expected. That didn’t really shock anyone (not like a GM or VCU type upset) so I don’t see how anyone can be disappointed (or call it a missed opportunity) that we as an 8 seed lost to a more talented and HOF coached #4 seed in Louisville. I just don’t get that.

freshmanin83
    Participant

I thought I remembered that before last season the thought was it would be considered a good coaching job if we made it too the NCAA tournament. So not only do we make the tournament but also make some noise. Do I wish we went further of course. Next year has not happened, people are still announcing decisions for recruitment. I think I will wait and see what happens.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Ville was damaged goods. Lost their starting PG midway or so. Could not score consistently throughout the year. Desposed of them rather easily at their place in the regular season. It was a huge missed opportunity for sure.

BJD95
    Keymaster

We were also damaged goods, because Cat apparently was up all night shitting his guts out.

Rick
    Keymaster

Had we beaten a 1 seeded Duke or Kentucky I could see Rick & Rye’s point. But we beat a 1 seeded Villanova; a team the regularly exits the tournament earlier than expected. That didn’t really shock anyone (not like a GM or VCU type upset) so I don’t see how anyone can be disappointed (or call it a missed opportunity) that we as an 8 seed lost to a more talented and HOF coached #4 seed in Louisville. I just don’t get that.

You mean the Louisville team that we had already beaten? The one that lost it’s starting PG? The one that was starting a freshman PG who had started all of 9 games? The one in which the game was a pickem by Vegas?
    That one? You don’t get that?

Nonetheless, what do YOU think is a great opportunity in the NCAA tournament? I dare say it does not get much better than playing a 4 seed that you have already beaten to get into the elite eight. If you do not think that is a great opportunity then what type of game do YOU expect to play to get into the elite eight?

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Yeah, I went in a convenience store a couple of weeks ago and failed to buy a lottery ticket. I could have been a multi-millionaire. What a huge missed opportunity.

I think Jiggs made it abundently clear why it is unreasonable to have expected this team to have done much more than they did.

Rick
    Keymaster

I fail to understand your point.

We were playing a team we had ALREADY BEATEN. How in the world is that equal to buying a lottery ticket?
    How is it unreasonable to expect to beat a team it had ALREADY BEATEN? You say I am unreasonable but frankly you are not supporting your claim.

freshmanin83
    Participant

“Barber, one of N.C. State’s potent backcourt shooters, showed violent symptoms of a stomach virus according to head coach Mark Gottfried.

“Last night — it’s unfortunate these things happen, for whatever reason,” Gottfried said. “(Barber) gets a virus. He spends all last night throwing up, got diarrhea, can’t sleep, can’t eat. He had no energy today.”

Barber shot 3-of-14 from the field and scored only eight points. ”

http://www.thenewshouse.com/blog/east-regional-friday-notebook-barber-hampered-illness

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

Cheers to signing Ingram and Newman 🙂

Wufpacker
    Participant

We were also damaged goods, because Cat apparently was up all night shitting his guts out.

With apologies to young Anthony, this just made me spew Diet Dew all over my keyboard.

Nicely played, BJD.

MrPlywood
    Participant

spew Diet Dew

That might well have been part of Cat’s itinerary too…

MrPlywood
    Participant

re: the Ville game and the discussion of The Missed Opportunity… why am I reminded of the lyrics to “MacArthur Park”?

“Someone left the cake out in the rain

I don’t think that I can take it
    ‘Cause it took so long to bake it
    And I’ll never have that recipe again, oh noooooo!!!”

TheCOWDOG

Geezus. “McArthur Park?”
    No way you’re old enough to groove to that on AM radio, Ply. Perfect for the ending of the bounce-bounce season.

@Heelh8r
    : Sorry man, I had to go back and figure out if I was typing in Willet’s, or IPA code. Looks like Pinot Grigio to me.

I just think that like the garden thread, every season starts with a newly furrowed field, regardless of what grew well the year before.

Amend the soil and go for it. Maybe even bring in some foriegn fruits. (Uh…produce)

Heelh8r
    Participant

That’s what I’m talkin’ about! Now I feel whole. Maybe I’m not in over my head, I just need more seasoning. I understood every word that time.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I just think that like the garden thread, every season starts with a newly furrowed field, regardless of what grew well the year before.

You could also liken a successful program to a tree farm, in that once it’s established, you’ve always got a mature crop every year. Although now the landscape has changed from having good strong older hardwoods to planting and harvesting quick to grow and harvest softwoods. The trick is to get the program/crop established. If you constantly have to deal with acid rain, pine beetles, hurricanes, Dutch Elm and the like that can be a tough task. So you plant some trees that will take longer to grow but are disease and pest resistant, graft a few, and go after one or two of those fast growing varieties that might only last one season.

And yes, I remember BOTH versions of MacArthur Park 🙂

Packzingo
    Participant

Not that this is a surprise to most (and not worthy of MacArthur Park), I think I read that Ingram is making his selection Monday with ESPN coverage.
    I believe the odds are in Dukes and Kentucky favor.

TheCOWDOG

Yeah!! Even better, Ply.

Though, I do regret not giving the Cat it’s due, as Beej and Wuf did.

When acting in LA, I had the perfect impressions of a feline with a hairball.

Now, I post on a State site.

StateRed44
    Participant

Y’all need to get off Gott’s nuts, damn. Jim Valvano ain’t walking through that door.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 284 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.