Tourney time! NC State vs. Pitt Game Thread!

Home Forums All StateFansNation Tourney time! NC State vs. Pitt Game Thread!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 330 total)
  • Author
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

One score and 8 years ago, Jimmy V and Vinny D led their NC State team to a surprise championship in the 1987 ACC tournament. In three memorable games
    [See the full post at: Tourney time! NC State vs. Pitt Game Thread!]

doug
    Participant
    WTNY
    Participant

doug — Sorry, but I don’t care what Pitt fans think.

wufpup — Thank for the preview. Would love to end the drought!

tractor57
    Participant

wufpup – nice preview
    Doug change the venue and the names and this could be a conversation on SFN. The proof will come tonight.

Khan
    Participant

Our games are a coin-flip. Fortunately, the Good Wolfpack side of the coin has been turning up more often than not, lately. Given that, I predict we will lose today.

ryebread
    Participant

Pitt’s playing for a lot more than we are. I think we’re in regardless and probably primed for a distraction (venue and potential Duke rematch) and let down. Pitt has to notch at least 2 wins to hope to go to the tournament.

This is the classic game setup for Pitt to be a spoiler. Year in and year out, we’ve won games like this on the other side. I just have a bad feeling about this one. I hope I’m wrong.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I think Pitt is demoralized. They had three very winnable games down the stretch, and tanked all three. They might need to win the whole tourney at this point. We shall see.

doug
    Participant

WTNY, I agree.

packalum44
    Participant

From the Pitt Rivals Thread: “Gottfried is a terrible coach. Give Jamie his roster and I think we’re a 3 or 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament.”

^ Agree. You could name 20 coaches off the top of your head and make this prognostication with a straight face.

4in12
    Participant

I think I’m right when I say no team has ever won the tournament playing more than three games. I also think that, as the perennial host of the “Les Robinson Invitational”, we have had more four game tournaments than anyone else. Someone please let me know if I’m wrong. If I’m right, let’s make some history this time out. We need some Justin “Ironman” Gainey mojo!

PapaJohn
    Participant

“The 2015 Wolfpack stand at least a reasonable chance to end that drought and deliver something long sought after and truly cherishable to the University and fanbase: some meaningful postseason hardware.”

I cannot believe I am reading that sentence on this site. Has Hell frozen over?

I don’t think this is our year, but it is nice to see such optimism. We certainly can win or lose against anyone.

I like our chances today.

El Lobo Loco!
    Participant

I hope the same team that played the 2nd half on saturday shows up today….
    and if fate has it that staat battle leads the pack with another 3, even better 😉

GO PACK!!!

BJD95
    Keymaster

Maryland won with 4, I’m pretty sure.

choppack1
    Participant

4in12 – I was getting ready to post the same thing. I don’t think we win the tourney this year because we’ll have to play 4 games and the other likely winners only have to play 3. When we won in 87 we played the same # of games as our tourney opponents.

I would have loved to have played this duke team in the semis or finals. They’d be gassed. As it is, they’ll be fresh and we’ll be weary.

Translation: I don’t think we win the tourney until we are a top 4 seed unless we get a huge break. I actually think we’d have a better chance than anyone if we were a 4 this year…I still think we have a shot – but its extremely unlikely.

44rules
    Participant

So I noticed a former Sidney Lowe recruit on Pitt’s roster: Joseph Ucehbo. Bleacher Report did a nice story on his struggle in December. You can Google it if you want, because I’ve tried to post the link 7 times or so. I’m pulling for Joe, except for tonight of course.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

choppack1
    Participant

Bjd – I was wondering same thing but they only won 3. (That was last year of 9 teams.)

PackAttacker
    Participant

When did we ever care what Pitt thinks of us? When did we ever care what anyone thinks of us. We are the Pack Nation and there is nothing better. From my boyhood days with my father watching football at Riddick Stadium to the NCAA National Championship with Norman Sloan, to the days of Jimmy Valvano’s hilarious notions and movements om the floor and another National Championship. Phi Packa Tacka taking on the Phi Slamma Jamma’s team was another memorable moment and the incredible moments of NC State Athletics just keep on coming.

PittsburghPackFan
    Participant

Yeah, no one has won a 4-game tournament yet.

I don’t even think any one BUT State has even survived to play 4 games yet.

I agree with some that this is setting up to be a trap game for State, but Pitt gets its fair share of NCStateSh@t too. Look no farther than their bowl game this past season.

I think NC State looks sluggish, but survives a spirited (not good) performance by Pitt, 57-53.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Puck Fitt.

Smash those jackholes and end their miserable excuse of a season.

No mercy.

PackAttacker
    Participant

No mercy for the Panthers! NC State 68 to 47!

redisgood
    Participant

I love Lauren Brownlow’s write-ups of the games. Her “this is what a Wolfpack win would look like” GIF is hilarious.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/action-likely-to-heat-up-on-acc-tournament-wednesday/14506391/

brqan925
    Participant

Doug – thanks for pasting that Pitt link. Dixon’s been the coach there for over a decade, why does he have so much trouble recruiting?

We beat them by 18 before we hit our stride. Here’s hoping for another double-digit win today and a chance to rest some of our guys.

MP
    Participant

From the Pitt Rivals Thread: “Gottfried is a terrible coach. Give Jamie his roster and I think we’re a 3 or 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament.”

^ Agree.

Ha. Ha. HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

4in12
    Participant

Her “this is what a Wolfpack win would look like” GIF is hilarious.

Amen.

44rules
    Participant

Georgai won the SEC tourney once playing 4 games. It was the year a tornado tore through downtown Atlanta and they moved the game to the Georgia Tech gym.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 330 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.