The last 24 hours haven’t been stellar for Mark Gottfried

Home Forums All StateFansNation The last 24 hours haven’t been stellar for Mark Gottfried

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

You’ll note that SFN didn’t make a big deal about Brandon Ingram’s recruitment during the last couple of years….and, well, we’re pretty happy that w
    [See the full post at: The last 24 hours haven’t been stellar for Mark Gottfried]

redisgood
    Participant

Well, there is sure no doubt where his coach wants him to go. I’ll be impressed if he sticks with his word, but I would also understand if he goes the other way. Here is a kid not getting a lot of interest, and suddenly the top program in the country calls with an offer? Hard to say no to that.

packalum44
    Participant

Mark Turgdeon’s doing pretty well BUILDING his program up at Maryland. Not sure what Gott is building other than a house of cards. No seniors or freshman? SEVEN scholarship players? Enjoy another bubble year because the future looks dim.

Let’s just hope we only have one more year of Gott and can hire Archie next year.

Hungwolf
    Participant

Certainly shows Gottfried and out staff are very good at evaluating talent. Seems Ky on our heels when we get involved with a kid. I read we were the first major school to offer Ingram. Between the recruiting environment, one and done, and transfers, I would not want to be a college head coach these days. I trust everything we will work out for Gottfried and NCSU, we got some great kids coming back and the future is bright!

I wonder if recruits are going to sign LOIs to Ky and then watch Cal bolt for the NBA soon as the playoffs are over?

Texpack
    Participant

The kid may be better than your typical three star.

Hope all the UK lovers are taking note of this. Maybe Cal will have someone to take the SAT for Shaun in Atlanta if he doesn’t qualify.

ncsu_kappa
    Participant

Yeah Gottfried is battling with the big boys for some great kids. This kid just goes to show we don’t know all the irons that Gott has in the fire. I’m very thankful and excited by the job that he has done thus far and hopeful for the future.

Reel ’em on in Gott and keep building your program. NC State Basketball is heading in the right direction.

redisgood
    Participant

Mark Turgdeon’s doing pretty well BUILDING his program up at Maryland. Not sure what Gott is building other than a house of cards. No seniors or freshman? SEVEN scholarship players? Enjoy another bubble year because the future looks dim.

Let’s just hope we only have one more year of Gott and can hire Archie next year.

Turgeon should have a great team this year no doubt, but I’m not sure about building his program. In four years nothing, NIT, nothing, NCAA round of 32. Having both Layman and especially Trimble come back is huge, as well as getting Diamond Stone. But I think you will see all three gone after this year. Trimble and Layman for sure, and Stone probably. He has the GT transfer Robert Carter available this year, and is recruiting Rasheed Sulaimon. He also has a 4 star PG signed for 2016. Some good signs definitely, but it might be premature to call this building a program. Maybe, but who knows right now?

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

I coach at Reagan High in Winston Salem and have had the opportunity to see this kid play in person. He is a helluva basketball player who I believe would come in and start right away for the Pack. He will sign if he looks at the logistics. His coach is being a douche and just wants to say ” I coached a kid who went to Kentucky.”

StateFans
    Keymaster

The nature of transfers in college basketball means that all of those scholarship spacing issues (that I have been preaching about for years) can be rectified very quickly.

But, we need to go land some of those transfers and get some bodies into the program.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I can’t help but appreciate the irony that less than 24hrs ago Gott was catching hell for landing a kid nobody else wanted.

redisgood
    Participant

I can’t help but appreciate the irony that less than 24hrs ago Gott was catching hell for landing a kid nobody else wanted.

lol

StateFans
    Keymaster

Other than “The Greek”, Georgios Papagiannis, I don’t think the coaches want to take anyone else in 2015. If we don’t get Kirk, they may have to alter that plan. The Greek is still considering St. Johns, Oregon and some others.

TheCOWDOG

You ain’t the only one, Wuf.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

^^YES

It’s a tragedy. It really is.

PapaJohn
    Participant

Hats off to Gott for finding this kid. Clearly our guys know what they are doing. Just tough to compete with an offer from UK. And we knew Ingram was likely going blue.

Pack85EE
    Participant

The kid grew up in Whiteville, He would do much better for himself to stay close to home and in the ACC. Of course if he thinks of himself as a one and done…. Can anyone say Ryan Harrow?

OutWestWolf
    Participant

pa44 is a troll, or is quite simply just a miserable being. Does that responder really offer anything to the site. Convinced its a Carolina troll, unless some of the site admin actually know who it is.

Too bad I didn’t pass up the bait this time.

At first, I deleted this post. But on further review, decided to remind everyone that dissenting opinions are not discouraged….while personal attacks are not acceptable. If you disagree with someone’s opinions/conclusions address those without attacking the individual.
    VaWolf82

primacyone
    Participant

They really don’t want him at Kentucky. Why would he really go there. Nice offer and I’m no Coach K, but Kirk going to Kentucky would seem like a very bad decision.

Let’s call it like it is, Kentucky fans…

John Calipari is getting desperate.

The news of a new scholarship offer to a three-star forward, this late in the process, signals desperation for UK on the recruiting front. This new offer likely means there’s not a lot of confidence in landing Jaylen Brown and Cheick Diallo this week. Could those guys still commit to UK? Yeah, it’s possible. But leading off a huge recruiting day with this new offer isn’t a glowing sign of hope for the fan base.

Then again, maybe Cal saw Shaun Kirk’s athleticism over the weekend and likes the potential to mold him into a player. I don’t know. I’m not in John Calipari’s head. Maybe he extended the scholarship offer just in case he misses on the other two. Again, I don’t know.

But offering the No. 192 player in the 247Sports Composite Rankings on April 27 isn’t the Kentucky basketball recruiting we’re used to seeing under Cal.

I will say, however, Kirk is VERY athletic. I’m in no way spinning this into THIS GUY IS A STEAL!, but we will be the biggest fans of Shaun Kirk if he does indeed end up at Kentucky after this new offer.

Still hoping for Diallo and/or Brown, though.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/i-guess-we-better-watch-shaun-kirks-mixtape/

choppack1
    Participant

My only concerns with this commitment was his position (one of the 2 positions we have depth) and his grades.

It looks like he can definitely play at this level. My biggest concern in losing him is the impact to Erik Smith.

I am not going to blame Cal for going after him after the commitment. Nor am I going to play “you’ll just get recruited over game” – as gott clearly recruits over existing players as well.

Its difficult doing what gott is trying to do. Clearly, he’s shown recruits he can get to the tournament and advance to the sweet 16. But he’s flying with the eagles.

OutWestWolf
    Participant

If your an athletic kid with a 3 star skill set, that apparently is on the rise enough to get the attention he’s already received and now Calamari, the likelihood that Gott recruits over you is probably thin (I’d venture to say VERY thin). It is a foregone conclusion at Kintucky. You’d better not need the freshman year to develop cause that position will have multiple 5 stars looking and some coming your sophomore year.

If the kid makes a pros and cons list he could definitely populate both fields for both institutions. I’d go w NC State on this, but at times I do tend to lean towards risk adverse side of things.

Good luck to the kid, sometimes options are brutal.

OutWestWolf
    Participant

Wow! If you want to get a warm and fuzzy feeling about the Pack fanbase, just go read the comments list from the average Kintucky crowd. The list of descriptors you can apply to that crowd ain’t pretty.

Pack85EE
    Participant

Yea, I think they deserve to have Calipari leave and go into a slump. So ungrateful about what they have. I hope Shawn reads that rant and stays home where he is appreciated.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Cal’s trying to use this kid as a street agent of sorts to grab up his real prize: Dennis Smith Jr.

After that, he will sit on UK’s bench or transfer.

Ed89
    Participant

Who came up with this post title? And how is it even remotely accurate?
    What is so “not” stellar about getting a commitment from a 3* recruit who then turns around and gets an offer from Kentucky? Would it be better if he had not gotten an offer from Kentucky? And “losing” out on Ingram shouldn’t be a factor since everyone knew he wasn’t picking us? I just don’t understand the title, and think it clearly misrepresents the last 24 hours. We got a commitment from a 3* kid from Whiteville who supposedly has a ton of upside, and somehow that is “BAD” for Gottfried?

PackerInRussia
    Participant

^In that case, think of this as starting the recruiting process a few years early. Hopefully Gott tells him to hold onto his business card, just in case.
    We’ll be there for you, Shaun. Now, or in a few years.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 152 total)
  • The topic ‘The last 24 hours haven’t been stellar for Mark Gottfried’ is closed to new replies.