NC State Wolfpack vs Virginia Cavaliers Preview

Home Forums All StateFansNation NC State Wolfpack vs Virginia Cavaliers Preview

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    spintk
    Participant

Hahahahaha. Gottfried has given up on this game. We had it down to 21 points and he sits on 4 timeouts. God, he pathetic as an in-game coach.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yes he can, Cowdog. He is a fantastic coach.

eas
    Participant

I agree ^^ we have good talent and potential. We are VERY unorganized. Sorry but the line up substitutions suck. They just suck. WBS needs more time if Cat continues to make bad decisions. OMG Turner shoots more than …anybody

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^BennettBall is by definition — “demotivating”…. which might make some players look lazy…

For example… we have scored 11 baskets in 37 minutes so far….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

^^I agree, Bill + Cowdog.

I got what you meant … My post was about philosophy and belief as opposed to in-game.

I’ve long been sold on Bennett’s coaching acumen. I just feel his style of play is much more conducive to close/tight games no matter the opponent as opposed to maximizing opportunities (today notwithstanding, of course). Not the greatest thing for ‘survive and advance’ IMO.

Edit: Also, if UVa is not converting on a majority of their offensive opportunities then results like @ Tennessee can happen, in addition to what happened to them in last season’s ACC and NCAA tournaments.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Post game could be interesting…

Will Coach go off or keep his game face on ??

Wulfpack
    Participant

If he goes off, it needs to be on himself and his staff. Because they ain’t doing the job. Tired of coach speak.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Also, if UVa is not converting on a majority of their offensive opportunities then results like @ Tennessee can happen

same can be said for every single other team in basketball

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

.. Hugh Durham… some of ya’ll remember Old Hugh… little short fellow about 5’10” — high squeaky voice — won a few bball games (around 750 ) with boys who couldn’t play in the ACC….

I took his bball class at FSU — back in the day —
    Anyway…. I asked Coach about how he organized his practice…
    Old Hugh told me he spent…

• 20 % of his practice on drills, skills and conditioning…
    • 60% on defense…
    • 20% on offense and whatever the next team might do….

I was surprised… so I asked him why he spent so much time on D….

He said with “his guys” (Hugh knew I was from NCState) ….

“If you play good defense… you should always be in position to win the game”
    “On offense … these kids can’t remember (what he really meant was learn ) half of what I tell them, so keep it simple….
    and you’ll win more than you lose…”

True story — 1978.

Yep — BenettBall — when successful — is the real deal.

spintk
    Participant

Gottfried gave up on his team when they couldn’t “play through.” Bobby Lutz is probably looking at himself in the mirror, questing, “How did I end up the #2 at NC State?”

wufpup76
    Keymaster

same can be said for every single other team in basketball

^Overall, yes. Worse for a team like Virginia though. Virginia giving a team run outs due to poor offense gives them no chance to execute their calling card – defense. They are not built to come back against any deficit much over 10 points.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I can’t believe what just happened in the Seattle game … it’s like last season’s Denver-Baltimore game

eas
    Participant

Bobby Lutz is probably thinking a lot of things right now including what Spintk said.

packer74
    Participant

Had seen enough when it was 16-4 and switched channels. State was totally unprepared and flat as a pancake. No defense, sloppy passes, poor shot selection, nothing absolutely nothing there today.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Coach just wasn’t pissed off enough for me during the radio postgame….
    Guess he knows his team….

Wulfpack
    Participant

Even the most talented offensive teams can go cold, especially on the road. If you know how to D up, that can carry you. It can not only keep you in the game when you can’t throw it into the ocean, it can get you easy transition points. It can get you to the foul line. It can shorten the game. That is what the UVAs and Wisconsins do. They don’t get the best players, but they are heady and they work their tails off. I would much rather watch that kind of team than what I saw today. I don’t know what that was today to be honest. It sure wasn’t pleasant.

wolfpup44
    Participant

Year 3 of coach G and it will further deterioration. Furthermore, good talent cannot be stopped by bad coaching. As long as Mike and Roy are around we will never be able to out recruit them. So we should stop over analyzing each game. Since the early 90s we have had nothing but mediocrity. Our solution is to keep bringing in new coaches and expecting better results. I am firing off an email next to Yow’s office. She is the boss and we have 2 hopeless sports programs in FB and BB.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^Too true, Wulfpack … And I agree, Bill.

Stay positive, yes … but … just …

Anyway, I created an open thread for the Divisional playoffs and/or college basketball / other if anyone is interested.

tjfoose1
    Participant

We got it, Spintker, you don’t like Gott.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I LIKE COACH GOTT ALOT !!!
    but I have seen this movie before….

Like Gettysburg… we just keeping replaying the story hoping for a different ending.

highstick
    Participant

And the “beat goes on”…

I’m seeing very little improvement since Fowler…Deb doesn’t embarrass us, but we sure aren’t winning..

Remember Alpha, you convinced me to join the WP Club if Fowler was canned! Granted, you didn’t promise improvement or I be contacting GA to file a lawsuit!

I don’t even watch anymore…All I’ve got to do is wait until the game is almost over and see how bad the score is…Today was a shocker…10 or 15, not something grotesque..

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

redcanine
    Participant

I think it was Majerus who reminded his players to be “judicious” with the dribble. Well, so much for that. Our wings and guards have/had no idea what they want to do with the ball. Teams like UVA (also zones) take away the option to drive, so it’s either pass or shoot, so choose one. Not dribble.

Don’t get me wrong, I think an explosive dribble is a powerful weapon… when the numbers are in your favor. Dribbling in place freakin stinks!

tjfoose1
    Participant

Not impressed thus far in year 3, but Gott’s not going anywhere this season, or next. A season 5 is TBD. This team is in desperate need of a leader.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I tell you guys what though, I’m still flying higher than heck on Gott after those 5 years of Sidney Lowe. I mean after that 5 year debacle and making the tourney his first two years I still think the man is Phil Jackson’s mentor. He’s got a couple more years easily in my book.

vtpackfan
    Participant

When you have TWO PG’s you don’t have ONE.

Teams do and will take great pride in shutting down TJ-now, is he a guy who plays with a ton of pride himself? Serious question-it’s just so hard to get a read on such an unemotional player. Today was just an off night but the trend of fading away at difficult stretches of games is becoming an issue.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.