Michigan In The House Tonight

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Michigan In The House Tonight

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    Heelh8r
    Participant

Phoenix, I really do appreciate your thoughtful analysis and observations after the games. It always gives me more insight both on the strategies from the game and on individual player strength and weaknesses. I also appreciate it’s not just Gott bashing and player bashing and we’re not any good and never will be. You’d think we are the only school in the whole world who has a terrible coach who doesn’t know what he’s doing and incompetent assistants too. While I agree it is not going to be a very good year for us, we’re not the only ones with problems. We are short handed for sure but blaming Gott for everything that ever happens doesn’t even make sense. I love discussing our problems and what could be done to overcome them, but all of the end of the world stuff gets so tiresome.

Rick
    Keymaster

Passive aggressive much?

TheCOWDOG

pakfanistan
    Participant

God I am dying right now.

Heelh8r
    Participant

I know, I’m giggling too. I didn’t even know I had it in me. I really do enjoy Phoenix’s posts though.

Wulfpack
    Participant

You know, it really is possible to believe that Gott has done a fantastic job here, but that his team pretty well stinks this year thus far. It does not by any stretch mean you want him fired.

Are there explanations for why we aren’t very good thus far? Absolutely. Are they excusable? Probably not. Honestly, not much is at this level with all that is on the line. It is called a “program” for a reason. Next guy up.

In all likelihood, it’s looking like it will be a struggle this year. The conference is pretty well loaded and, well, we aren’t. He’ll keep us competitive and we’ll see where we are come March.

Rick
    Keymaster

Wolfpack,
    Some people cannot handle any criticism.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Agreed, Wulfpack. Except, of course there are legitimate excuses. You control what you can, but some things are beyond control. If you want to say no excuses matter, next man up, you can lose more than you gain if you have an otherwise good man. I see it that way at UGA right now. The Dawg fans say Richt reached his ceiling, couldn’t win the big one, didn’t win a championship, had bad assistants, recruited but couldn’t coach, on and on. Sound familiar? But Miami couldn’t wait to hire him. Why? He’s the same guy! I can’t make sense of it.

No homework tonight, Rick?

Rick
    Keymaster

Already done. Thanks for asking

Wulfpack
    Participant

Georgia and Miami are not the same school. Much different places. Perhaps it is possible that both are in the right – Georgia letting him go after 15 years and Miami hiring him in 3 days. He is a heck of a coach, by all accounts a great man, and I’d love to have him.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Exactly. Me too. But UGA kicked him out to the curb. Yes, it is possible his shelf life expired after 15 years. I just don’t like that way of thinking. I like appreciating what someone has done for you, being on his side even when things don’t go as planned, and celebrating successes with them. I guess that’s why I defend Gott when I see what I consider ridiculous comments against him. I predict UGA will come to be sorry they let Richt go, and if anybody can resurrect Miami, which is not a given, he may be the one who can do it.

Wulfpack
    Participant

My best guess is he will be perfectly successful at Miami after a year or two. He knows the recruiting territory. It’s the ACC Coastal – meaning it is up for grabs every year.

He did a great job at Georgia for a very long time, in the nation’s toughest conference. But that doesn’t mean he or anyone else gets lifetime rights to their job. He had reached his ceiling at Georgia and it was probably time to move on. Also, we don’t know the conversations that were had between the coach and AD.

I have a couple Georgia buds and they appreciate what he did for them, but they are ready to move on.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Got it. Thanks for the conversation. I understand that time could come for Gott, or Doeren, but for me they have both improved our program and deserve our support for now. In Doeren’s case, it is not showing up in W’s so much yet, but it sure feels like the program is improving. In Gott’s case, I know it has.

Rick
    Keymaster

Got it. Thanks for the conversation. I understand that time could come for Gott, or Doeren, but for me they have both improved our program and deserve our support for now. In Doeren’s case, it is not showing up in W’s so much yet, but it sure feels like the program is improving. In Gott’s case, I know it has.

I agree that the program had improved but that does not mean he is immune to criticism.
    There are a lot of good things that Gott does but there are also some not so good things.
    I consider Gott one of the hardest workers on the recruiting trail and his team’s never quit.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I have a couple Georgia buds and they appreciate what he did for them, but they are ready to move on.

Ditto

Heelh8r
    Participant

Agree there also. He has a tough gig, and he is competing his tail off with the competition. I don’t expect it to be this year, but we’ve been awful close and he may yet get us to a top 20 program.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I’m personally hoping (keyword…hoping) that when Henderson returns we might have a bit of the Whittenburg phenomenon develop.

Forced extra PT for some now, paying dividends later.

xphoenix87

Phoenix, I really do appreciate your thoughtful analysis and observations after the games. It always gives me more insight both on the strategies from the game and on individual player strength and weaknesses. I also appreciate it’s not just Gott bashing and player bashing and we’re not any good and never will be. You’d think we are the only school in the whole world who has a terrible coach who doesn’t know what he’s doing and incompetent assistants too. While I agree it is not going to be a very good year for us, we’re not the only ones with problems. We are short handed for sure but blaming Gott for everything that ever happens doesn’t even make sense. I love discussing our problems and what could be done to overcome them, but all of the end of the world stuff gets so tiresome.

Thanks, I’m glad you appreciate it. It lets me exercise some of my frustration through being a huge basketball nerd. I just find I’m generally happier as a fan when I’m understanding and appreciating why things are going well or poorly, and not just riding swings of emotion. That’s just my process though, and I’m basically a robot-person :).

At one point last year I considered putting some videos together about some of this stuff (primarily because I wanted to take a closer look at our defensive improvement at the end of the season), but cutting the clips together is just too much work.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Agree, one can call ’em like they see ’em (this year’s team DOES look like poop) and not believe it to be a referendum on MG’s entire tenure. That’s where I am.

That said, I most certainly DO think we need to pull out of the nosedive at least somewhat, or there will be repercussions for the future/recruiting – NC State/MG just aren’t established enough to endure a full poop season, in my opinion. Thus, the Henderson hope factor. We simply need that 2nd guard on the floor, hopefully that calms us down and allows us to be more fluid and play within ourselves (and better as a result).

I would rather be strung up by my toenails than go through a football or basketball coaching search at present. It would likely be the death of me.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I would rather be strung up by my toenails than go through a football or basketball coaching search at present. It would likely be the death of me.

At least we aren’t suffering through the mess that is South Carolina football, where thanks to UGa your choices are Muschamp and a 32 year old. I’m no expert but if you can’t cut it at Florida, what makes anyone think he can at South Carolina?

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I personally don’t see DD being a long term answer for our football program but 100% agree this would not be the year test the market with all the other open jobs out there not to mention his current contract structure. Dave needs to get us 8 wins against a much tougher schedule for me to become a fan boy, or at the very least 7 wins with at least one of those losses being a very close game against a marquee opponent. Unfortunately it would appear the stars aren’t aligning for that to happen with a breaking in a new QB and the lackluster recruiting which may still be impacted more by the baby blues making so much noise down the road. Hopefully the NCAA steps in and curtails some of their momentum.

Gott on the other hand has earned his extension IMO.

StateRed44
    Participant

Don’t understand the sentimentality of fans that seem to get wrapped up in coaches personas etc. These folks are employees making bank off your fandom and school. At the end of the day it should be run like a business, not a family. I would not hesitate to fire a guy after 3 years who was woefully inept. DD needs to get us in the conversation, which we are far from. Isn’t that what he is supposed to be doing? It is extremely galling that Fedora has outdone him with those sanctions hanging overhead. I like him ok, but I’m not tied to him in the very least. We need to quit having losing conference records, period! Not measuring up so far.

As far as Gott goes, disappointed with the big man development and recruiting so far. I wish I knew why Washington transferred. Seems to have been a preventable situation from the outside looking in, don’t know. Do know we miss him severely. Can’t blame Gott for Lacey, it’s just too bad they both left what could have been a really nice season. If he does implode like Alabama I aint’ gonna get all sentimental about 2 sweet 16’s yada yada, who cares? You get a banner hung, then we can start getting sentimental. Until then, you are an employee that hasn’t shown me much.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

As far as Gott goes, disappointed with the big man development and recruiting so far.

Can you be more specific on this statement regarding your disappointment with Gott’s recruitment? I mean we’ve got the highest rated PG in NC State’s history coming next year. I think his recruiting efforts for the most part have been pretty solid to date.

Rick
    Keymaster

As far as Gott goes, disappointed with the big man development and recruiting so far.

Can you be more specific on this statement regarding your disappointment with Gott’s recruitment? I mean we’ve got the highest rated PG in NC State’s history coming next year. I think his recruiting efforts for the most part have been pretty solid to date.

Recruiting seems to be fine. Keeping players on the other hand is not.

BJD95
    Keymaster

South Carolina is a SIGNIFICANTLY more attractive job than ours, and seeing where they are ought to make your blood run cold. Football isn’t fixed short term, especially when you inherit a barren cupboard like Doeren did. He has to get at least 5 years. PERIOD. That’s just the reality of where we are in the football universe, and how bad a situation TOB left.

The fucking Cheats (yeah, no dashes or censoring today) cheated without remorse, and frankly continue to operate in a complete atmosphere of denial and lack of character. They allow any and all shortcuts, and have purged absolutely ZERO fruits of the poisonous tree. To pre-judge Doeren based on what those cocksmokers have shamefully been allowed to get away with is shameful behavior, and I expect better from ALL OF US. Yeah, I know it hurts, and hurts bad. But don’t take out that anger on Doeren, beyond being angry that we DID fail to show up for the game, and played weak and timid last week (as opposed to just leaving it all on the field and getting beat like against Clemson).

You CAN and SHOULD be angry that the NC State administration quietly sits back and takes being led by the Swoffy Cabal. We NEVER should have agreed to stay in this stupid, corrupt conference without major, structural changes that included AT MINIMUM Swoffy’s departure and assurances that no future commissioner would have direct ties to a member institution again (ESPECIALLY an athletic department).

Wear your orange and hope there is some Karma on the way tomorrow night.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 207 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.