Michigan In The House Tonight

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Michigan In The House Tonight

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

i’m telling you guys i really think this is a mulligan year.. IF Cat stays for next year (probably not realistic), we get our frosh #1 pg, Rowan gets experience, and we have the transfer next year could absolutely be nice. We just gotta wade through this one.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I seriously question Gottfried and his ability to develop players. I’ve seen only 2 improve under him and you have to question just how much was MG and how much was them

you must have missed his first year here

Heelh8r
    Participant

I just don’t know what has happened to Abu. He was looking pretty great last year, and I assume he is why Washington left, knowing his PT would be limited. Bad decision if that was the reason, but Abu has not been a factor at all. We need him to step up. He’s got to be a presence we don’t have other options.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK…

so Eric Montrose is interviewing “Lefty” on the other channel…

Lefty tells a rambling tale — what else do you expect from a guy near 80 — that basically ends in a “reminder” that Maryland was the first team other than the Holes to win a game in the Dean Dome… and by the way, you guys were #1 in the nation when I beat you at home…

some things never change….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Rick
    Keymaster

I just don’t know what has happened to Abu. He was looking pretty great last year, and I assume he is why Washington left, knowing his PT would be limited. Bad decision if that was the reason, but Abu has not been a factor at all. We need him to step up. He’s got to be a presence we don’t have other options.

I never saw all star potential in him. Granted I expected more than this but I never expected more than 12 ppg

Rick
    Keymaster

OK…

so Eric Montrose is interviewing “Lefty” on the other channel…

Lefty tells a rambling tale — what else do you expect from a guy near 80 — that basically ends in a “reminder” that Maryland was the first team other than the Holes to win a game in the Dean Dome… and by the way, you guys were #1 in the nation when I beat you at home…

some things never change….

I love Lefty

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Lefty also says….

“Maryland in the Big Ten is a Big Joke”….

which is the “sanitized” version…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Heelh8r
    Participant

We have to figure out how to keep players.

Only way I can think to do that is recruit less selfish players.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

BJ at 1 of 6 from the line could be wearing a blind fold and do better. Seriously, don’t they practice those?

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Boy are you disappointed if you expected something uplifting tonight after Saturday. Putrid basketball. Win or lose, we play like stinkers. No, I don’t want to fire gott but the possibility of Doeren achieving something remarkable with football at ncsu still seems more likely than our basketball squad.

We’ve never done a lot of the little things well since gott arrived on a consistent basis. More bothersome though is the coaches and players don’t seem to recognize what they do well individually and collectively. Rowan looks off balance coming off screens. Our collective shot selection is just bad. we desperately need to play faster and push tempo, attack other teams off the dribble with cat, but we run really slow sets and stand around. If you rolled the ball out on the court and no coached on the sideline, the result wouldn’t have been worse. Zoning Michigan? Why? Their pg out and you wait to press until it’s too late. Substitutions were donkey like. I have hope for Doeren. None here

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Good luck with that white shoes

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Hope because there’s at least an unknown in the potential. Plus, I think dd is smart, a hard worker, driven, a motivator, and a risk taker. I don’t see the same qualities in gott. He’s hit his ceiling. Known it since second season here.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Bill.OnTheBeach,

I, too, love Lefty. He was a pretty straight up guy. Could not afford motels when he was at Davidson and would sleep in the back of a very old Chevy Station Wagon (Forerunner of the SUV for the younger set).

Yes, he was colorful and YES, he was emotional. However, he was also one of the best sports in the business. Norm Sloan told the story of getting the players on the bus in 1974, after defeating Marquette and becoming the National Champs….

However, as the bus was pulling away, some idiot ran over and kept banging on the door. They let him in….it was Lefty. He burst into the bus and bellowed that he wanted to congratulate the National Champs and was proud of NCSU and that they were true champions. He continued to talk and supposedly walked the aisles and talked to Norm.

BTW, Norm had the bus driver make a detour and get on US 70 West and the drove into the cemetery and stopped at Case’ grave. Norm said a little prayer and also made a speech that gave Case the credit for what they had accomplished that night. Very touching moment for the team…..and obviously Sloan.

Also for the old timers, the 1974 ACC Tourney Game between MD and NCSU is considered one of the most exciting and classic games in NCAA History. We were LUCKY to pull it off as MD was TOUGH. So, Lefty doing a personal visit and congratulation says a whole lot about Lefty…..

If we think that Jimmy V got a Raw Deal….Lefty might argue that….and I would agree…

BTDW, Lefty is 83….I hope to be a cool and “with it” as he is.

Was a bummer of a game…..gonna be a long season unless we get some productivity out of Abu and others.

WHY, oh WHY, did Kirk decide that he could “win it all” tonight? Reminded me of Cat two years ago.

If you look at the numbers…..some interesting factoids.

I THOUGHT that Jamie Luckie was calling it and got a “Game Sheet”….sure enough….it was Mr. Luckie….and we are RARELY LUCKY with him.

However, he and crew were actually “Whistle Challenged” tonight. This is the crew that called 104 Fouls, TOTAL, in the Fan Whatever Duel in NYC. That, admittedly, was in TWO OT games, so they averaged less than one minute per whistle….as the games were 90 minutes total.

BUT, tonight, other than decided NOT to whistle Mich for a while, they were silent…..

Rowan was the missing link tonight. He has a season average of 14.X PPG. Tonight, he was only 4 or 5. Had MORE rebounds than points. He was obviously NOT hitting and it hurt us.

The fact that we looked like a JV team on Defense might have also contributed.

ORW is whipping up on Turgeon and MD ……I ain’t pulling for EITHER….just wish they would both destroy each other.

xphoenix87

Look, I’m not going to say we’re a great team, and it’s a really tough ACC this year which could make it a lot tougher to mount a run down the stretch. However, I’m not in full agreement with all the doom and glooming around here. Numbers are always fluctuating a lot this early in the season, but statistically (via KenPom) we’re ranked very similarly to how we were ranked at this point in the last two seasons (KenPom has us ranked #63 currently. After 7 games last season it was #55, and it was #68 the previous season). Now, it’s certainly frustrating that we keep having these slow starts under Gottfried, but we’ve seen a pattern of improvement over the course of past seasons, and I see enough potential that I’m not writing this season off. Also, Henderson was a huge loss not just because it was losing a starter, but because of our positional deficiencies. If he returns strong it will be a huge boost, and we’ll have the added benefit of Rowan’s development. The sky isn’t falling quite yet.

Anyway, my usual thoughts from the game:
    – I thought this game was very poorly managed by Gott. We were making a run at it with the Cat/Rowan/Martin x2/Anya lineup, and I know you have to give those guys a breather at some point, why on God’s green earth is Shaun Kirk the guy you turn to? He was an utter disaster, and while it certainly wasn’t all his fault, the deficit went from 4 to 10 in the minute or so he was on the floor. Utterly inexplicable that this is the game and that is the situation where you want to give that guy some run. Additionally, why are you pulling Cat Barber with 4 minutes left in the game? I don’t care that he has 4 fouls. There are 4 minutes left and you’re down by 10, what are you saving him for? Also, when you’re down 7 with 1:12 left, you have to foul immediately or send aggressive traps and then foul. You’re not going to win by straight defending at that point. Just a poorly managed game.
    – It was a pretty rough game for Maverick Rowan. Not only was his shot not falling, he missed a couple layups as well and got torched on defense in the first half. To his credit, he really shored that up in the second half, and had some really great moments of help defense. I still believe in his talent and his shooting stroke, and he’s going to be better than this most games.
    – The defense actually wasn’t the problem in this game. Michigan is the 9th ranked offense in the country, and we held them well below their average efficiency. Yes, their point guard missed the second half, but it was still a good showing. They play a similar 4 out system to the one that W&M torched us with, and we handled it much better. The lineup I mentioned above was particularly effective, and our wings did a much, much better job crashing down and helping the helper on P&R coverage. We forced a lot of turnovers and rushed shots out of their big men on P&R plays that yielded layups earlier this season.
    – We gave up 2 offensive rebounds. Even against a team that doesn’t rebound well, that’s a terrific performance.
    – I’m disappointed in Abu’s performance these last two games, but he was very good in the first 5 games and played terrific against LSU. I’m still confident he’s going to be an offensive threat this season. What I’m seeing right now is that he’s much more composed on his post ups than last year, and his first move is generally very good. When he faces up, there aren’t many big men who are quick enough to stay in front of him. The problem is that he’s rushing the finish. When he doesn’t get a clear blow-by for a dunk, he rushes or tries something difficult like a tough reverse. What he needs to do is gather himself and use his strength to finish once he’s created an angle with the initial move. He’ll be a more consistent finisher and draw more fouls that way.
    – His line doesn’t look all that impressive, but I’m impressed by the development of Cody this season. Even from just the beginning of the season, he’s gotten much more comfortable facing up in the post and using his quickness advantage to get to the rim, rather than trying to awkwardly back people down. He’s a versatile defender, a good rebounder on both ends, and is working his way into becoming a threat in the midrange.
    – Cat shoots 1-2 quick long twos in semi-transition each game, and I’m pretty sure he shoots about 12% on them. He played fine in this game though. Michigan was clamping down hard on him, and he didn’t force things. I wish he’d been more aggressive in the second half once the fouls started mounting up on Michigan, but it’s hard to fault him. On so many of the P&Rs he ran, he was probing and working hard to make something happen, and Michigan was just walling off the paint. When one of the two shooters on the team isn’t hitting anything, it’s tough for him to punish that.
    – The rest of the out of conference schedule is much, much weaker than what we’ve played so far, and we should be favored in every game. It is entirely feasible that we will be 10-3 heading into conference play which, again, would put us right in line with the last couple seasons.

Wulfpack
    Participant

In these close games where things are tough offensively, it would be nice to be able to rely on our team D to pull us through. Not the case with this program. It is frustrating. Same problems over and over.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

In these close games where things are tough offensively, it would be nice to be able to rely on our team D to pull us through. Not the case with this program. It is frustrating. Same problems over and over.

Maybe I am being too pessimistic here but I just feel we are in a dark dark place with Wolfpack athletics. Gott is who he is and doesnt seemt to even want to change his style or coach the team up. Same issues since year one and I agree its frustrating. To win the ACC its imperative to finish in the top tier to avoid the extra game and I just dont see that happening this year or any for that matter.

Coach DD is so far behind the 8 ball now its not even funny. I think with this team he had a good oline, 5th year senior qb, Vtech/louisville down, easy OOC, that this was the year to make a big statement. Nope same crappy recruiting, same boneheaded lack of adjustments etc. Next year is going to get ugly based on the schedule not making things easier for him at all.

Yow is here for 3 more years AND she just gave both raises and extensions (for God knows what reasons, PP says they share the same agent but I cannot confirm) so all 3 are here for at least 2 more years. Probably 3.

Just bummed man, really bummed. I wish I knew the answers but I truly dont. My wife and I gave until it hurt in the early Chuck years but that has tapered off dramatically due to things like kids and oh the product we are watching.

I see other programs being successful and just cannot figure out for the life of me why NCSU makes it so hard.

Texpack
    Participant

I seriously question Gottfried and his ability to develop players. I’ve seen only 2 improve under him and you have to question just how much was MG and how much was them.

Tree beard and tj

Add Calvin and Lo Brown to that list. Lo is still the best PG we have had since Corch.

Texpack
    Participant

Abu looks just like he did last year. He has great quickness and leaping ability, but he can’t shoot, dribble, or pass because he has AWFUL hands. People get sucked in by the spectacular athletic plays and think he’s a great basketball player, but he’s not.

Rick
    Keymaster

Maybe I am being too pessimistic here but I just feel we are in a dark dark place with Wolfpack athletics. Gott is who he is and doesnt seemt to even want to change his style or coach the team up. Same issues since year one and I agree its frustrating. To win the ACC its imperative to finish in the top tier to avoid the extra game and I just dont see that happening this year or any for that matter.

I see other programs being successful and just cannot figure out for the life of me why NCSU makes it so hard.

I am here as well. Gott is what he is. He is decent and does not appear to want to make a jump to the next level. However I am not sure we can get a better coach. I guess we just need to accept the fact we will not win anything but will have some decent wins and some exciting but altogether meaningless runs at the end of the season.
    DD seems like he is in over his head. I hope I am wrong but I see nothing that makes me thing we will get much better than we are now. The recruiting is meh. Again I am not sure we can get anyone better.
    I just have little hope for NCSU at this point. We either don’t have the ability or desire to have great athletics.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer this morning but I just don’t see any light at the end of this tunnel.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

I seriously question Gottfried and his ability to develop players. I’ve seen only 2 improve under him and you have to question just how much was MG and how much was them.

Tree beard and tj

Add Calvin and Lo Brown to that list. Lo is still the best PG we have had since Corch.

The question with Leslie, Brown, and Howell becomes how much was it player development and how much was they were able to actually run a system vs pick up ball. Howell was producing the same under Lowe as he did under MG, he just had more minutes to produce when Tracy Smith left and he did so without dropping off. The same can be said of Warren’s 2 years, did the same both years just did more of it his second season.

In the end I don’t know if those 4 improved under Gott but a legit argument could be made for either side for Leslie, Brown, and Howell. I think Barber has clearly improved his game from previous years. Barber is the only one that I can look at and say he’s definitely a better player today than when he arrived. I can’t say that about any other player MG has coached at State and even if you included the first 4 that’s a pretty short list after +4 years.

Tau837
    Participant

Tree beard and tj

Those who don’t see players improving under Gott must not be paying attention. Most of Gott’s players have improved under him, but most notably Howell, Leslie, Brown, Warren, Barber, Lacey, and Turner. The Martins both look like we’ll be adding them to that list soon.

Tau837
    Participant

Tree beard and tj

The question with Leslie, Brown, and Howell becomes how much was it player development and how much was they were able to actually run a system vs pick up ball. Howell was producing the same under Lowe as he did under MG, he just had more minutes to produce when Tracy Smith left and he did so without dropping off. The same can be said of Warren’s 2 years, did the same both years just did more of it his second season.

In the end I don’t know if those 4 improved under Gott but a legit argument could be made for either side for Leslie, Brown, and Howell. I think Barber has clearly improved his game from previous years. Barber is the only one that I can look at and say he’s definitely a better player today than when he arrived. I can’t say that about any other player MG has coached at State and even if you included the first 4 that’s a pretty short list after +4 years.

Howell, Warren, and Vandenburg made significant physical transformations under Gott and his staff. I suppose the same is true of Anya. I realize the physical transformation is only part of it, but there is no refuting this, just look at the tape.

I disagree with the notion that Howell and Warren did not improve but simply maintained the same level of play with more minutes. Are you saying you don’t think Warren was a better player, with better skills and better IQ, when he left than when he arrived? Same question for Howell, from the time Gott arrived to when Howell left? I disagree strongly.

OK, maybe Leslie and Brown did benefit from a system vs. pickup ball… but, regardless, that is improvement under Gott. And for Brown in particular, he absolutely was a better PG when he left than when Gott arrived. That should be credited at least in part to Gott and the staff.

People tend to ignore the improvements Lacey and Turner made under Gott, but compare their time at State to their seasons at LSU and Bama. They were significantly improved under Gott.

When you put it as “definitely a better player than when he arrived” I don’t see how you can suggest the Martins don’t qualify. They both seem to have improved in their basketball IQ and in their individual skills. And both are obviously still young with more room to grow.

StateRed44
    Participant

Agree on Abu, he’s not that good. Unfortunately our best post player should really be getting mop up duty to 10 mins a game on a team that is a contender. Not sure why Anya seems unable to apply himself. 30% free throws is completely unacceptable for a serious scholarship player. If Cat could either pass or shoot he’d be much better. His best offense is begging the call which will never work against really good teams. Surprised how well he shot from 15 ft last night. Those points don’t really help tho because he can’t keep it up and everyone stands around to watch him dribble the remainder of the game.

xphoenix87

The notion that Abu hasn’t improved since last year (not to mention the massive improvement he made from the beginning of last season to the end) is ludicrous. Yeah, he’s had 2 bad games. It happens. If you actually watch the games and not just the box scores, you can see that even in these bad games, his positioning and his initial post moves have been much, much better than they were last season. He’s catching much closer to the rim and he’s attacking much more decisively. I don’t think he’s a star yet by any means, but he’s a much improved player from last year.

StateRed44
    Participant

Abu is nowhere near where he needs to be for us to be an NCAA team. Since he has been depended on for offense this year with transfers and personnel losses his shortcomings are magnified. Settling into the realization that Abu is Damon Thornton/Kenny Inge level talent on his BEST day imo. Was hoping and thinking he was gonna be much more than that. Prove me wrong big guy (Abu).

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 207 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.