Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Home Forums All StateFansNation Men’s Basketball Player Turnover Under Mark Gottfried

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 504 total)
  • Author
    Khan
    Participant

Gene, those are fair points. I hear so many people, though, talk about how we just need to be happy with the little bit of success we have. That’s when we really need to get the Lysol out and spray that turd sandwich off.

I can certainly give credit to Gottfried for his helping to build our brand and for the early success he had. We’re now in the mature part of his tenure here, and if he’s going to be the man to take us to the next level, it’s going to be empirically proven in short order. If he’s not, then I hope we don’t wait until we’re back in the basement to make a move in another direction.

One point where I disagree with you though, is that I’ll “settle” for the results he had in his first four years ONLY if it is a step toward being a consistent contender. And then we take that step and move forward. Being in perpetual purgatory, IMO, is not enough.

tractor57
    Participant

I like Gott however “money talks and…” or in this case so me some improvement. Fair or not that is were I stand. Seasons prior show some glimpses of improvement while the last one does not. Should he be fired today? I think no but the seat is getting warmer …

StateRed44
    Participant

Wonder if we could snag Larranaga?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

This too shall pass….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    choppack1
    Participant

Gene – I imagine Clemson fans are glad that they stuck with Bowden instead of firing a relatively successful coach and bringing in some no name like Dabo Sweeney. Good thing they know their place or Bowden wouldn’t have led them to the championship game.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Wonder if we could snag Larranaga

Why? He is 66 years old. Miami is his last stop then he’s hitting the links and the sand.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Gene – I imagine Clemson fans are glad that they stuck with Bowden instead of firing a relatively successful coach and bringing in some no name like Dabo Sweeney. Good thing they know their place or Bowden wouldn’t have led them to the championship game.

What’s the name of that fallacy where people remember the hits but forget the misses?

Rick
    Keymaster

What’s the name of that fallacy where people remember the hits but forget the misses?

Is that the same fallacy in which all the players leaving were the problems and all the ones coming in are the solution?

Of course solution equals thirteenth place.

Khan
    Participant

^ Lol

redisgood
    Participant

In a “Way Too Early” look at projected ACC starting lineups, Joe Giglio has us in the bottom 1/3 tier, and finishing 11th in the ACC. If that happens, it won’t be good for anyone.

Rick
    Keymaster

In a “Way Too Early” look at projected ACC starting lineups, Joe Giglio has us in the bottom 1/3 tier, and finishing 11th in the ACC. If that happens, it won’t be good for anyone.

When we squeak into the tournament we can be happy we ‘beat expectations’.

FergusWolf
    Participant

Actually, Archie signing the contract extension at Dayton may be the thing that finally works out for us…my prediction is:

2016 – Abu goes pro, someone transfers (probably Anya), we finish 6-12 in the ACC, no tourney
    2017 – DSJ goes pro, everyone else transfers, we match BC’s record for 0 wins, Yow retires, new AD, Gottfried is fired, Archie is hired
    2018 – We hardly have a team, but Archie coaches us to 9-9 in the ACC anyway, no tourney
    2019 – We are in a building mode with a young coach who will lead us to an ACC title in 2021

FergusWolf
    Participant

And, before you ask, yes, I did start drinking early today

blackdom
    Participant

If you look at what he did at Alabama it’s pretty much the same as here. If we want to settle for OK and a few suprises he is our man.

choppack1
    Participant

Packphanistan – to probably don’t want to play this game with me.

I don’t know what your position is on Gottfried.

I do know that a lot of “pro-active firings” – don’t go the way that the fans want them to. However, I do think the Clemson football (and Tennessee football) are analogous to our basketball situation.

I think the Bowden situation is applicable because be pulled them out of the rut that Tommy West had put them in…but took them as far as he could take them. When it was painfully obvious he would take them no further – he was fired.

Granted, he didn’t have a 10 year stint at another major conference school to tell everyone who could read a record sheet that this was in all likelihood his peak.

I say this as someone who doesn’t think we should fire Gott this year, but as indicated from both his 2nd season here (where he returned 4 starters from a sweet 16 team and brought in 3 burger boys) his 4th season here, this year and his record at Bama – he probably won’t do any better than he has thus far – and of he does somehow, it won’t be sustained.

Tau837
    Participant

Actually, something like this would be the second best outcome.

The best outcome would be a strong rebound performance with an upper conference finish and quality NCAA tournament seed, all while signing some quality recruits. If we can’t have that, better to have a season so bad next year that Yow is forced to fire him and start over with a new coach.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Strange that my posts aren’t showing up.

FergusWolf
    Participant

Even stranger that the only one that does is the strange one.

Frankly, I’d be ok with firing Gott now. My only concern is who we would get to replace him. Would probably have to be lucky and pickup a young guy from a mid-major that could become the hall of famer we would want him to be. No sense in picking up anyones retread.

pakfanistan
    Participant

My only concern is who we would get to replace him.

Trivial. Fire now, worry about the consequences later.

FergusWolf
    Participant

Trivial. Fire now, worry about the consequences later.

Maybe Sid would be up for round 2

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

The best outcome would be a strong rebound performance with an upper conference finish and quality NCAA tournament seed, all while signing some quality recruits.

The likelihood of this scenario happening are about the same as Gott being fired….close enough to zero that I’m not going to waste time trying to figure out which is more likely.

FergusWolf
    Participant

…close enough to zero that I’m not going to waste time trying to figure out which is more likely.

but…but…wasting time is what we do best

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Even stranger that the only one that does is the strange one.

Frankly, I’d be ok with firing Gott now. My only concern is who we would get to replace him. Would probably have to be lucky and pickup a young guy from a mid-major that could become the hall of famer we would want him to be. No sense in picking up anyones retread.

I dont think she fires Gott even with another season like this one. They are truly tied to the hip. Just this off season she was gushing about how awesome he was for the university and how he is making great strides in the program. Hence the ext/raise. And secondly I dont want her anywhere near another coaching search and I am pretty confident I am not alone in this.

Truly though, I think we will get a better read on where Yow stands on both DD and Gott during this round of caravans. I am sure the reports will trickle out about the q and a. No doubt she is going to get bombarded with the obvious questions and her answers will be telling. I predict the canned “bad luck injury, 4 out 5 ncaa, 2 16’s, every school has transfers etc” more of the sunshine blowing up our rears.

FergusWolf
    Participant

maybe when it’s time, Julius Hodge will be ready…currently at Santa Clara with HWSNBN

StateRed44
    Participant

Is there solace in the fact that UVA plays very boring basketball?

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 504 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.