Gotts future

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Gotts future

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Tyus Jones did not carry Duke.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Jones was certainly a key cog in the wheel, but Winslowe, Okafor, and Allen won it. Cook provided the leadership.

Wufpacker
    Participant

True enough. But, this whole discussion started regarding a frosh PG “carrying” a team. In most cases, regardless of class, a PG doesn’t so much carry a team as facilitate it.

So the question becomes….is DSjr good enough to step in as a frosh, with the pieces we’ll have available next year, and “facilitate” to a point where the program can take two steps forward next year (over and above what appears to be a step back this year…so far at least).

But of course that brings up the discussion of the pieces he has around him and whether they can do their part.

Which invariably brings us back to airballed 2 footers.

But I digress….sort of.

😉

TheCOWDOG

Phil Ford
    Brad Davis
    Tyus Edney
    James Lofton

Don’t make me fu#%in’ do this…

I got 10 more…

Wulfpack
    Participant

The point still stands is that it is RARE. As in, you can’t bank on it. Bank on it and kiss your job goodbye. Hope to get lucky.

Wulfpack
    Participant

And yes, facilitate is the more appropriate word. But in order to facilitate, as Wuf aptly states, you need the necessary pieces around you. That’s definitely still a big question mark.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Questionmark indeed.
    I hope the Juco market is a strong one in the offseason.

Dennis Smith Jr will still be a first rounder either way.

tjfoose1
    Participant

If you were a college basketball fan and went to State in the early 90’s, how does Kenny Anderson escape your memory?

Wufpacker
    Participant

Lethal Weapon 3.
    Thanks ‘foose, for making me feel older than I already did.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Freshman PG Kenny Anderson + Dennis Scott + Brian Oliver. All the way to the Final 4.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Yup…dat be the 3 in Lethal Weapon 3.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Lethal Weapon 3.

But at least you’re still young enough to have a functioning memory. Half full.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Lethal Weapon 3.

But at least you’re still young enough to have a functioning memory. Half full.

Functioning is a relative term.
    But my plumbing is still good, not relative at all if the ladies be listening.

But yeah….the MEMORY works.

Tau837
    Participant

Let’s dispense with “carry” and just talk about freshman PGs who played at a high level (e.g., all conference/All American level). Here are some, in no particular order:

Kenny Anderson
    Stephon Marbury
    Kyrie Irving*
    Austin Rivers
    Tyus Jones
    Bobby Hurley
    Steve Blake
    Kendall Marshall
    Chris Paul
    Allen Iverson
    Marcus Smart
    D’Angelo Russell
    Trey Burke
    Jalen Rose
    Mike Bibby
    Baron Davis
    Jason Kidd
    Tyus Edney
    Isaiah Thomas
    Mike Conley
    Derrick Rose
    Tyreke Evans
    Corey Joseph
    John Wall
    Brandon Knight
    Sure, it’s rare, but it happens. I’m sure this is not an exhaustive list.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

add Trevor Ferguson to that list, good sir!

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Tyler Ennis? Can’t remember if he was an all American.

packbackr04
    Participant

I seriously doubt DSJ will be better than Cat is this year. And he will have the same pieces to work with so if you’re hoping for a big turnaround next year. Keep that in mind

Tau837
    Participant

I expect DSJ to be worse defensively than Cat and to have more turnovers. However, I expect he will be better offensively, because he will likely be more willing to attack the defense and better at finishing at the rim. He will likely shoot better from the field, though perhaps not from the free throw line.

If all of this is true, take that and add to Dorn and Henderson, and the team should be quite a bit better next season, barring multiple early departures.

packbackr04
    Participant

Cat is averaging 21.8 points a game…. if DSJ is averaging 21 points a game at this point next season i will owe you one HUGE apology.

walton
    Participant

If we could get Taurean Thompson, he could be the difference maker. 6’9′, 220 lb, ball handler, outside shooter, inside playmaker with soft touch. Check him out.

walton
    Participant

Who wants to bet Shaun Kirk transfers after this year. Here we are 7 deep and losing every ACC game so far. And still Gott refuses to play him, even a little. Repeating pattern.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Who wants to bet Shaun Kirk transfers after this year. Here we are 7 deep and losing every ACC game so far. And still Gott refuses to play him, even a little. Repeating pattern.

Why in holy hell would he stay? If he is not getting minutes now during this debacle when exactly will he get time?

When he does I will not blame him one bit.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

If he is not getting minutes now during this debacle when exactly will he get time?

Here’s a better way to look at it: If he can’t get time on this team, exactly what Power-5 team could he go to and get more playing time?

JasonP
    Participant

Things are getting silly around here. Is it the planetary alignment that brings out the nervous nellies?

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

If he is not getting minutes now during this debacle when exactly will he get time?

Here’s a better way to look at it: If he can’t get time on this team, exactly what Power-5 team could he go to and get more playing time?

He wouldnt go to a p-5 school IMO. Something like Marshall, ECU or VCU.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 186 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.