Gotts future

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Gotts future

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    packbackr04
    Participant

2 part question–

1) could it get so bad this year that Gott is let go at seasons end? I mean statistically speaking, I guess we’ll win 3-4 conference games this yr but maybe not.

2) Could that possibly be the best possible scenario? What with Archies ascent and all, the time is now or never.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

A coach can be let go for many reasons. There is zero chance that he will be let go based on the W/L record for this year.

packbackr04
    Participant

sooooo.. you’re saying we should all hope he starts banging co-eds again?

Rick
    Keymaster

Gott, Yow and the chancellor are all inextricably linked. Neither Gott or Yow are going anywhere anytime soon.

BJD95
    Keymaster

1) No

2) No, DY being in charge for the next coaching hire is the absolute worst possible scenario, especially in an unplanned “panic” scenario like the hypothetical would be.

Be thankful DSJ is already enrolled, that takes a lot of pressure off.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

1) No

2) No, DY being in charge for the next coaching hire is the absolute worst possible scenario, especially in an unplanned “panic” scenario like the hypothetical would be.

Be thankful DSJ is already enrolled, that takes a lot of pressure off.

Yeah I get he is the #1 recruit. Totally get it. But I dont see where an injured frosh PG, that has already stated to the staff he is one and done regardless, is going to do any miraculous things. Playing point in college probably is the toughest position and he will not have much talent around him. I just dont see how next year is not a complete disaster.

packbackr04
    Participant

so BJD, do you see any way DY is relieved of her duties?

tjfoose1
    Participant

sooooo.. you’re saying we should all hope he starts banging co-eds again?

Brilliant.

It could be worse. Dumb asses with such thinking could have influence in the decision making.

tractor57
    Participant

BJD I can think of one that would be worse – and we lived through it – barely.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Freshman PGs do just fine in the ACC.

If he wasn’t enrolled, we’d be getting negative recruited all over the place. At least we KNOW we will have a chance next season, with Smith, Dorn, and Henderson in the backcourt. Better than being a dead team walking.

I have no idea as to the thought process behind the scenes of the powers-that-be above the AD level. It’s NC State, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up for anything proactive.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Freshman PGs do just fine in the ACC.

If he wasn’t enrolled, we’d be getting negative recruited all over the place. At least we KNOW we will have a chance next season, with Smith, Dorn, and Henderson in the backcourt. Better than being a dead team walking.

I have no idea as to the thought process behind the scenes of the powers-that-be above the AD level. It’s NC State, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up for anything proactive.

Care to give me an example of a frosh pg carrying a team?

I will leave out the injured part.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Depending upon one’s definition of carry…
    http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/john-wall-1.html

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Depending upon one’s definition of carry…
    http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/john-wall-1.html

Point taken but that was a wee bit different. But yeah that is encouraging to remember John Wall.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Important distinction being there would be two other starter-caliber guards on the roster, instead of zero.

And we would have to hope for some development, instead of shell shock, from this year’s wing players.

Like I said, a CHANCE (by no means a guarantee) is better than nothing, and without Smith, we’d be down to nothing.

redisgood
    Participant

Yep, and fortunately Junior is the type of player who can carry a team. I’m predicting he’ll go top 5 in the 2017 NBA draft. Torin Dorn is a pretty good player, and hopefully we will have a fully healthy Henderson. I also think an off season in the weight room is going to make Mav a really good player. We will still have some big holes to fill, but the team will be better, although I guess that’s not saying a lot.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

this is the most premature thread I have ever seen on SFN except the always rational BJD and Rick…

If you folks knew anything about basketball…
    you would know that “this season” will be GOTT & Company best year ever on the court…

Go figure it out for yourself..
    Don’t ask..

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Which one of you A%%hat mods edited my post above ???

I said “stupidest” not “premature”…

This sh&t is getting old…

WUFPACKER: Actually bill, “stupidest” was only one (and admittedly, probably the mildest) of the edits I made to your post. Yet I see that instead of mentioning the others, assuming of course that you even remember them, instead you just jump on your horse and go to the whip.

Next time you cross the line, instead of letting the essence of your opinion remain, a consideration I’ve taken all too often with you considering the intentional grief you’ve opted to create with me personally, I’m just gonna take a page out of Va’s book and delete your idiocy in toto.

If you don’t like that, I can’t say I care.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I don’t know what the “92” signifies, but it’s probably not your graduation year. Anyone that seriously asks that question hasn’t watched college basketball for very many years.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Which one of you A%%hat mods edited my post above ???

I said “stupidest” not “premature”…

This sh&t is getting old…

You know it’s not me. I delete posts, not edit them.

I started to lock this thread after the initial post because the premise is stupid because it is premature. But I decided to see how long it would take to spiral out of control .

JasonP
    Participant

This forum is the only place I hear anyone ever talking about Gott getting fired. No State fan I know, including several WPC donors, has any inclination toward making a HC change in the program. It’s frustrating to come here and see this type of talk gain traction especially when paired with hoping and dreaming for the next flavor of the month HC candidate. Thankfully there are voices of reason in the ‘hood.

Yall need to realize Gott is the best bball coach we’ve had since V – who was forced to resign in 1990. Short memories forget all about the dungeon of the 90s and 00s, which unfortunately contaminated State’s fan base with extreme pessimism and a loser mentality. Gott is the first one to elevate this program from the garbage heap we wallowed in for 20 years (think about that for a minute). His effort should be rewarded with patience and support, even in difficult seasons like this one.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

The only problem I have with Gott is that he isn’t using Kirk. I understand he may not be ready, but the only way he is truly going to get better is putting his feet to the fire. I’d like to see “Little Mac” (Corch) too 🙂

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

This forum is the only place I hear anyone ever talking about Gott getting fired. No State fan I know, including several WPC donors, has any inclination toward making a HC change in the program. It’s frustrating to come here and see this type of talk gain traction especially when paired with hoping and dreaming for the next flavor of the month HC candidate. Thankfully there are voices of reason in the ‘hood.

Yall need to realize Gott is the best bball coach we’ve had since V – who was forced to resign in 1990. Short memories forget all about the dungeon of the 90s and 00s, which unfortunately contaminated State’s fan base with extreme pessimism and a loser mentality. Gott is the first one to elevate this program from the garbage heap we wallowed in for 20 years (think about that for a minute). His effort should be rewarded with patience and support, even in difficult seasons like this one.

I know plenty of people that are not completely blown away with Gott. They arent really calling for his head right now just more in the holding pattern. If this season keeps going like it is I think you will see the fan base start to splinter and the conversation will come up more. A lot of us are seeing a downward progression similar to his run at bama. The thing that kindof surprises me is nobody is really mentioning his personal life. He is obviously going through some rough times and who knows if its not seeping into the program. Not unreasonable to discuss all things considered.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

I don’t know what the “92” signifies, but it’s probably not your graduation year. Anyone that seriously asks that question hasn’t watched college basketball for very many years.

I lived in Owen dorm in 1992. (yay prison showers). Meet some of my best friends between there and Tucker. Good times.

Feel free to list examples of frosh pg’s carrying teams. If you have some I would love to investigate to compare. In my experience it seems like it takes a couple of seasons for a new pg to get their sea legs. Cat is a good example.

redisgood
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t know about a firing discussion, but I think it”s legit to discuss his strengths and weaknesses.

One weakness I think Gott has is his inability to relate to the players on any kind of a personal level. Most great college basketball coaches don’t hesitate to rip their players’ heads off during games and practices, but you also see the great coaches seem to genuinely care for them. I think to Gott, his players are just that, players. I’ve read books about coaches like Wooden, Knight, K, etc. And they all keep in touch with their former players, and you can see they had developed a bond.

A couple of telling moments this year. One was when Gott was being honored pre=game for some kind of milestone, and the players completely ignored it. They didn’t watch, they didn’t applaud, they just kept shooting. Another was in an interview I saw with Beejay where the interviewer asked Beejay to tell us something the coach doesn’t know about him. Beejay just laughed and said the coach doesn’t know anything about me. There are other things too like not playing Des Lee at the end of the game on senior night when we were up a lot and his mother was in the stands.

I thinks these types of things lead to inconsistent performances and players eventually leaving. He’s not going to change, that’s for sure. But I think that is one thing that will prevent him from taking the team to the next level.

packbackr04
    Participant

this thread was not meant to make people argue. I just got to thinking about the schedule and although statistically I think it would be impossible, I really dont see us winning another game all year. I mean, I am sure we will when someone has an off night and we get hot enough to eek out a 3 point win. But we are without doubt, the worst team in the league. Our effective FG% is dead last in the power5 conferences. Dead last. How on earth is that acceptable in year 5.

I just wonder if Yow had not given Gott the mystery extension 3 days before the season started for no reason at all would this conversation look the same today since the fiscal aspect of it would be entirely different . Its not like Gott had gotten alot of offers and we were going to lose him. So why offer the extension? I guess the connected folks all seem to think Yow is tethered to Gott and Doeren till her retirement but would a winless ACC season in year 5 not force her to reconsider Gott (for better or worse)? And if so, would that be such a bad thing for us as a program considering Archie is available?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 186 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.