Four weeks to kickoff !

Home Forums StateFans Football Four weeks to kickoff !

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Greywolf
    Participant

Hey GreyW.. at least blast the right man. That was the troll.

Sorry about that. Know it was the Troll. Like who else would crap in a “Four Weeks to Kickoff” thread?

There is some glitch in the system that sometimes attributes quotes to the wrong poster. It’s happened to others as well.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Like who else would crap in a “Four Weeks to Kickoff” thread?

I don’t think I’ve crapped anywhere. You’d know it if so. I was merely sharing my personal expectations which are probably a little more grounded in reality based on Vegas odds.

Greywolf
    Participant

I was merely sharing my personal expectations which are probably a little more grounded in reality based on Vegas odds.

What are those reality based expectations. I seem to remember 5-7 or 6-6 from a thread in the spring. (Said thread having to do with Frasier leaving has mysteriously disappeared.)

So, how about sharing the reality with us. What do you base you expectations on? We need all the reality we can get this day and time.

I’ll follow up with what I see as reasons why we will exceed low-ball expectations.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I think my prior reply is pretty clear. My expectations are in line with Vegas oddsmaker’s predictions. I don’t expect us to make the college football playoffs, win the ACC championship, or even win the Atlantic division. Vegas futures clearly imply we won’t even be in the conversation.

To be clear, I’m NOT saying this is definitively what is going to happen. I’m saying this is what I’m basing my preseason expectations on.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Five Sleeper Teams That Could Emerge As Legit Contenders – Sports Illustrated

Chris Johnson
    Friday August 11th, 2017

But there are always a handful of teams that exceed preseason expectations. These are the outfits that, for whatever reason, weren’t given much of a shot at winning many games or competing for a prestigious bowl.

The Wolfpack wouldn’t be flying this far under the national radar had they won one of two close games last season. The first was a 24–17 overtime loss at eventual national champion Clemson in October in which NC State kicker Kyle Bambard missed a 33-yard field goal at the end of regulation. The second was a four-point home defeat to Florida State in November wherein the Wolfpack led deep into the fourth quarter, only for Seminoles quarterback Deondre Francois to hit NFL-bound wideout Travis Rudolph for a 19-yard touchdown with just over three minutes remaining one play after nearly throwing a potentially game-sealing interception.
    NC State takes just one of those close decisions, and it heads into this season as the clearest threat to shake up the ACC’s duopoly. Instead, the Wolfpack have been reduced to scrapping for “Others receiving votes” love, and Dave Doeren is showing up on coaching hot seat lists. Doeren needs to offer evidence of progress in 2017; the Wolfpack have posted a 25–26 record during his four years in Raleigh, and they haven’t notched anything that remotely qualifies as a signature win. That drought ought to end this year, as NC State hosts both Clemson and Louisville, our No. 7 and No. 14 teams, respectively.
    But looking beyond their potential to wreak havoc in the upper reaches of the division standings, the Wolfpack should be able to handle business against the ACC’s middle class without much fuss. Their defensive line is big and ferocious, and it’ll stop opposing running games in their tracks while stud end Bradley Chubb causes problems off the edge.
    NC State is experienced on the other side of the the trenches, where second-team all-conference guard Tony Adams returns, and offensive coordinator Eliah Drinkwitz will have two fun playmakers (Jaylen Samuels and Nyheim Hines) and a returning starter at quarterback (Ryan Finley) to work with. If NC State can turn even one of 2016’s close losses into a W and avoid a head-scratching toe stub on the order of its 21–14 home loss to Boston College, it’s hard to imagine 2017 not being Doeren’s most fruitful campaign in Raleigh to date.

http://amp.timeinc.net/si/college-football/2017/08/11/sleeper-teams-notre-dame-nc-state-oregon?source=dam

Greywolf
    Participant

My book has NC State at 33 to 1 to even win the ACC championship with exactly 8 teams in front of us with better odds. 16.5 to 1 we even win the Atlantic.

I was merely sharing my personal expectations which are probably a little more grounded in reality based on Vegas odds.

I think my prior reply is pretty clear. My expectations are in line with Vegas oddsmaker’s predictions. I don’t expect us to make the college football playoffs, win the ACC championship, or even win the Atlantic division. Vegas futures clearly imply we won’t even be in the conversation.

Wow!! Your opinion, which you are trying to pass off as reality, isn’t based on your opinion at all but is actually what the bookies’ clients think. Vegas odds change depending on how the betting goes.

Actually those of us who have opinions you sneer at as being hope, etc., are what you base your opinions on. If 100,000 Wolfpack fans called your book in Las Vegas and bet on the Pack to win the conference championship, the odds would drop considerably from the 33-1 odds you are basing your expectations on. If the betting was heavy enough those odds would drop dramatically.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Greywolf I like your passion but I think you are making his point. He is siding with the majority of strong opinions.

McCallum
    Participant

Love the Troll.

His only issues are that he gambles and he is a sinner.

State will be State. If they breakout of the normal paradigm then glory be to God. If they don’t……well……who gives a damn.

I will be in Raleigh for the Clempson game if anyone wants autographs.

McCallum

Greywolf
    Participant

Greywolf I like your passion but I think you are making his point. He is siding with the majority of strong opinions.

I disagree that I am making his point. As you said he is more or less going with the flow — siding with the current popular opinion — strong or otherwise — as is expressed by betting in Las Vegas. He doesn’t have anything to contribute to a discussion of Wolfpack football except to say that he is going with the current odds in Las Vegas. And piously calling his opinion reality. His pretense of knowing is as false as his user name indicates — Alias.

I will freely admit that his expectations are more likely turn out to be more on target than mine but are ‘on target expectations’ what most of us are here to get? I assert that most who actually discuss Wolfpack football are here for that reason — to discuss and exchange our views of Wolfpack football.

As one would expect those views are all over the map. Some are held because of the HC’s record. Some are held because of their perceived intelligence of the HC. The reasons are many and varied. Alias Troll’s reasons are the opinions expressed in the betting odds by Las Vegas clients. Nobody but a fool would think that the odds offered by Las Vegas odds makers are their opinion of which team is better. The odds change to insure that the sporting books make money regardless of who wins the game, conference championships or national championships.

freshmanin83, I’d like to hear your ideas on the current Wolfpack’s chance of being successful in 2017. We know what Vegas’s ideas are and you probably know mine. Don’t know if I will be posting much longer before Sept. 2nd as I will be traveling and haven’t decided (meaning wife hasn’t decided) if I’m taking my computer with me.

McCallum
    Participant

Traveling?

Touring South Carolina?

McCallum

Greywolf
    Participant

Traveling?

Touring South Carolina?

McCallum

Seen all of SC I need to see although I’ll admit the girls are worth a second look.

This ‘traveling’ is a river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam.

McCallum
    Participant

Look out for “diversity”.

McCallum

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I will freely admit that his expectations are more likely turn out to be more on target than mine but are ‘on target expectations’ what most of us are here to get?

Well, you’ll have to pardon me, sir. I might just be in the wrong place if this is indeed where folks convene to read and post about “off target expectations.” As you were.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

I will freely admit that his expectations are more likely turn out to be more on target than mine but are ‘on target expectations’ what most of us are here to get?

Well, you’ll have to pardon me, sir. I might just be in the wrong place if this is indeed where folks convene to read and post about “off target expectations.” As you were.

I admit I had to read that twice. I dont think Grey proof read that post before hitting enter. He is criticizing you for having realistic expectations. Things that make you go hmmmmm…..

Getting old must be a mother……

rthomas44
    Participant

Hope you live to see if it is.
    The thing about this FB team that gives me confidence of more than “same old” is this is DD’s 5th season. All the plans and hard work have been done and the team has got to be seasoned. You know a lot has been said about losing to ECU and BC and Crimpson and FSU.

44rules
    Participant

Here’s some cold water on the optimism:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/248310616/nc-state-wolfpack-sleeper-acc-atlantic-2017

Personally, I get a kick out of reading the back and forth. I hope Grey is more right than wrong, but I am a bipolar N.C. State fan!

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

freshmanin83
    Participant

So the cold water is that N.C. State will probably not contend for the conference title. Hmmm not sure if that is cold water to most on these boards but maybe I am mistaken. I was encouraged by people saying that the Pack has an outside chance at making some noise this year might mean that they would do better than usual not actually be in an BCS game.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Greywolf I think I posted some thoughts on Wolfpack football in another thread and some of my reasoning behind it. I can’t seem to find the thread. If I do I may repost it.
    A quick summary. I think the D will be better this year than last year. I think the offense will be better this year than last year. I think the Pack should win at least 8 games this year and at least split their conference games. If superior decisions are made and executed well and the ball bounces the right way maybe, maybe, they can win 10 games. I don’t think they will be playing for a conference championship but of course I hope I am wrong.

44rules
    Participant

Good point 83. And I would love to see 8 wins going into bowl season. I just keep taking tastes of the Kool Aid and dreaming of double digit wins … can’t help myself.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

freshmanin83
    Participant

Outrageous College Football Predictions for the ACC in 2017
    By J.P. Scott, 8/14/17, 9:00 AM EDT

NC State will win the Atlantic Division

It won’t be pretty early on. It’ll look like a muddy horse race full of close games and round-robin outcomes between three or four teams. But at the end of the season, the horse that separates from the Atlantic pack will be the Wolfpack. They return 16 total starters on offense and defense from a team that nearly knocked off both Florida State and Clemson last season. And with the race still close at the end of this season, NC State will get to close out its campaign against Boston College, Wake Forest and North Carolina.
    *Remember, “outrageous” can be defined as “wildly exaggerated or improbable,” and “very bold, unusual, and startling.” These are “outrageous” predictions and should be treated as such.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/outrageous-college-football-predictions-acc-2017?amp

Greywolf
    Participant

Greywolf I think I posted some thoughts on Wolfpack football in another thread and some of my reasoning behind it. I can’t seem to find the thread. If I do I may repost it.

The thread you are looking for originated as “Johnny Frasier is no longer on the roster” or something like that. It changed to a lot of comments about how and why the 2017 Pack was shaping up. I like you had put a lot of thoughts in it.

That thread suddenly disappeared. Poof! Gone. It’s too bad but it’s missing. Perhaps the admin who took it down will put it back up.

Greywolf
    Participant

Your and 92owen’s problem is distinguishing expectations from possibilities. I don’t post about expectations primarily because I don’t harbor “expectations.” I post a lot about possibilities.

Any fool can look up Vegas odds and derive expectations which you have honestly admitted that all you have to offer. As near as I can tell you and 92owen don’t look at what’s possible with the returning starters, the red-shirts who are will be joining the returning starters and the incoming freshmen and transfers.

TheAliasTroll wrote:
    TheAliasTroll wrote:

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

P!ssin’ match challenge accepted.

YOU are the one that quite literally asked me what my expectations were on page one.

What a flippin’ surprise! If we finish 10-2, your expectations would be what? 7-5?
    How about refresh my memory. What are your expectations?

I tactfully answered your question with what my expectations are which for the most part align with the rest of the sane sports world and you poo poo’ed it.

I apologize that they don’t align with your college football playoff divination. I don’t know what else to tell ya.

13OT
    Participant

Just bought Steele’s book today. Lots of interesting stats. In the past 5 seasons, the Pack went 7-6 3 times, plus 3-8 and 8-5. ACC record for those seasons (2012-2016) was 4-4, 0-8, 3-5, 3-5 and 3-5 for 13-27. OOC Power 5 record was 0-1 and 1-2 in bowls. BC and UNC records were 2-3. ECU record was 0-2.

Will a 4-4 ACC mark keep Doeren here another season? I honestly don’t know.

I do know, however, that his seat will be much hotter if South Carolina wins the Charlotte game. Everything you need to know about this Wolfpack team will likely be revealed in Charlotte on September 2.

highstick
    Participant

We’ll “kick” something this season….
    exactly what remains to be seen…

As promised… Mr. Stick’s front yard is fundamentally sound and looks better than the bermudagrass field at CF…

I hope this football season is not all about appearances, but fundamentals….

Think we can work a contract to till it and sod it with zoysia next summer? I cannot even imagine laying a football sized field with 2 1/2 sq foot pieces of sod! But I could supervise!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.