DD and Recruiting … Has NC State moved into the Elite?

Home Forums All StateFansNation DD and Recruiting … Has NC State moved into the Elite?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    GoldenChain
    Participant

I saw how well we were doing in recruiting and sent that link to my son that’s the NFL scout, he had been telling me for months what a haul there would be at the draft. Putting kids in the league is a huge recruiting tool and I can’t remember us having so many commitments this early ever, we’re usually fighting it out to get some late commits to salvage our class.

I think its a good sign and as far as elite? I’ll settle for Dick Sheridan solid year after year.

Greywolf
    Participant

Putting kids in the league is a huge recruiting tool and I can’t remember us having so many commitments this early ever, we’re usually fighting it out to get some late commits to salvage our class.

I think its a good sign and as far as elite? I’ll settle for Dick Sheridan solid year after year.

I know it’s just a play on words but based on our being in the top 5 of so many highly sought after recruits, I assert our days of “settling for” are coming to an end.

If Harmon and/or Meyers go in the draft along with Steph Louis, it’s possible for us to have multiple WR’s taken in 2019. The OL is looking like another multiple draftee possibility with Jones and Bradbury. Prescod could as well with a good year. Lord knows he’s got the size. Bradbury may be like Jim Ritcher having to move to guard to get playing time.

I know I’m biased but I wonder what your “sources” have to say about Bradbury or Louis’s chance of being drafted. I wouldn’t expect you to put your son on the spot by quoting him but an “I think” coming from you would mean a lot.

Less than 5 weeks before start of fall camp. Student run 7 on 7’s are going full tilt.

Go Pack!

SaccoV
    Participant

OT Triston Miller commits to the Pack. Here is the PackPride write-up! Still a few more players out there for the taking. I’m hoping for some great news with the other two parts of GreyWolf’s trifecta!!

McCallum
    Participant

The Clark kid plays in a weak conference against weak competition.

Biggest kid on the field, typically lined up against players he outweighs by 75-100 lbs easily.

Reminds me of another North Stanly player:

https://247sports.com/player/antonio-williams-23913

McCallum

Greywolf
    Participant

Having way too much fun checking out the trifecta of recruits who have committed, are likely to commit and possibly could commit. The only trifecta I’m interested in today is 4 star Joshua Harris, 4-star CJ Clark and 4-star Zonovon Knight. Hit that trifecta and the trifecta of 4-star Walter Burrell, 4-star Derrick McClendon and 5-star Quavaris Crouch and we will be looking at conference and national championship possibilities in 2021/22.

Just a little “trifecta” report. In the first Trifecta 4-star CJ Clark committed. Mac says “The Clark kid plays in a weak conference against weak competition. Biggest kid on the field, typically lined up against players he outweighs by 75-100 lbs easily.” You can’t coach that kind of size but “Body by Thunder” can make that biggest kid on the field” the “strongest kid on the field.” Coach Patrick can coach technique and the opposition provided by Coach Ledford’s OL will not be outweighed by 75-100 lbs.

“Reminds me of another North Stanly player… Antonio Williams who as a aback up RB averaged 6-2 ypc.

I’d rather be an optimist and a fool than a pessimist and right.”
    ? Albert Einstein

SaccoV
    Participant

Where a kid plays high school ball has very little bearing on their ability at the next level. TA played at Albemarle in a 1-A conference. His freshman year at State was better than his recruiting level indicated.

McCallum
    Participant

N=1

McCallum

SaccoV
    Participant

Nate Irving played at Wallace-Rose Hill (1A). Torry Holt played at Eastern Guilford (2A). Many great State players came from other places besides Butler and Mallard Creek.

SaccoV
    Participant

Mario Williams played at Richlands High (900+ students). Philip Rivers played at Athens High (AL), (932 students). Levar Fisher at East Carteret (632). It’s silly to forecast a player’s performance based on the size of the players he played against. If the player is good, he will work hard and find his way onto the field. For every Andre Brown (J.H. Rose) and Toney Baker (Ragsdale), there’s a Shadrach Thornton whose high school had 1100 students.

SaccoV
    Participant

Todd Gurley played at Tarboro (602) and Keith Marshall played at Millbrook (2432). Which one would you take coming of out of high school? Mark Richt got them both but one became a superstar and one got himself hurt several times. It does not matter where you played nor who you played against in high school.

McCallum
    Participant

One problem hoss, most of the people you listed DOMINATED. North Stanly struggled.

Let me add a few more to your list: Carl Pickens at Murphy, Chester McGlockton at Whiteville, Ashley Sheppard at North Pitt, Heath Shuler at Swain County….all dominate players during their junior seasons.

McCallum

McCallum
    Participant

I said Gurley would be better. He lead his team to a state title. Matshall’s high school team didn’t win their weak 4A conference and Millbrook didn’t get past the 1st round of the state playoffs.

McCallum

SaccoV
    Participant

So your concern is that our coaches are not offering dominant players from small schools scholarships to play for our team? These small school players are too weak?

SaccoV
    Participant

Marquise Williams played at Mallard Creek and took his team to the state title. Going with Tarheel blue didn’t cover up the lack of toughness.

McCallum
    Participant

I’ve seen his film. I know the talent level in the Central Tar Heel 1A.

My point, which you appear to be missing, is that good Divison 1 prospects typically dominate in high school. You appear to be stumbling over the size of the school aspect.

Clark plays against extremely week competition on a weekly basis. I’m interested in what the coaches are seeing beyond his size.

You can cite any outlier or example you wish to validate your point or to invalidate mine. That does not change the fact as to what talent level Clark faces in the Central Tar Heel conference. His future is unknown.

If Coach Dave is offering I believe there must be something there.

McCallum

*I believe Williams did something no State QB has done since 1979 and that is play for a conference title.

Greywolf
    Participant

Give it up Sacco. You’re in a pissing contest with a skunk. (That’s a compliment, Mac, indicating superior ability in a particular domain.)

Mac is cautioning against getting too high on Clark and cites his reasons. Sacco is saying Mac’s reasons don’t forecast Clark’s not being great for us. I tend to side with Sacco because I’m the quintessential optimist. 😉

BTW My guess is that Clark got coaching at the Doeren camp on what weaknesses he needs to work on. Clark can’t do anything about the level of competition he faces but he can do something about his technique, strength and agility. Developing players is what we do best.

SaccoV
    Participant

Marquise did play for a conference title and won his division. Kudos for that. He also went turtle against us three out of the four games State played him. My point is that the caliber of his high school competition was no more impactful to his college career than any other factor. And if I was taking QB’s in a draft for any level of play, I would take Rivers, Barnette, Finley or Wilson over Williams regardless of whether Williams played for a title. You take MW and his retired Mallard Creek jersey … I’ll take the field.

McCallum
    Participant

Just for the record:

3uck Charlotte.

McCallum

Greywolf
    Participant

Just for the record:

3uck Charlotte.

McCallum

Mac,
    I took my Geritol and STILL don’t understand this?

SaccoV
    Participant

An interesting comparison of recruiting geography between Doeren and O’Brien was put up by BackingThePack. Interesting, but in my opinion, it’s comparing apples and golf balls.

Here is the link.

SaccoV
    Participant

Zonovan Knight (Greywolf’s 2nd leg) has committed. Here’s the Pack Pride. Here’s the Twitter.

The 3rd leg Joshua Harris will announce later today and 247Sports has him all in for the Pack. Tomorrow is when Khalid Martin from East Forsyth will announce, but he seems to be about 50-50 between State and Va Tech.

Fastback68
    Participant

Knight’s film – he runs like a gazelle and his first cut back is deadly. Very smooth, effortless.

SaccoV
    Participant

Harris completes the Trifecta!! Here’s the Pack Pride write-up!!

Greywolf
    Participant

The only trifecta I’m interested in today is 4 star Joshua Harris, 4-star CJ Clark and 4-star Zonovon Knight. Hit that trifecta and the trifecta of 4-star Walter Burrell, 4-star Derrick McClendon and 5-star Quavaris Crouch

Of the trifecta of 4-star Walter Burrell, 4-star Derrick McClendon and 5-star Quavaris Crouch, I missed on McClendon and don’t know about Burrell. Quavaris Crouch would make up for those 2 and then some.

Can you imagine Crouch backing up Savion Jackson, Clark, Harris and perhaps Freshwater if he gets his grades worked out? I realize Crouch is a long shot but having his mother be a State fan and his brother already on the team gives us a punchers chance. Crouch paired with Drake Thomas would give us dominance in the box and some serious bragging rights for North Carolina.

Greywolf
    Participant

Khalid Martin is the latest commit.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.