Benchmark Glennon: What Does One Game Mean?

Home Forums All StateFansNation Benchmark Glennon: What Does One Game Mean?

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    JEOH2
    Participant

so should the coach ask the team if they should go for it on 4th down or kick a field goal? Who they want to schedule in the future? What kind of leadership would a coach have if every major decision was based on a direct democracy?

imawolf
    Participant

tjfoose1 I saw the same game you saw……in fact once, he was so locked in on one receiver he missed another man so wide open, it was a for sure touch down….I think it was our second possession. The receiver was so wide open, he was doing jumping jacks trying to get Glennon’s attention.

Wolfy__79

glennon will be fine! he may not be rivers, but he is a much better transition from rw than say davis, evans or beck! give him a break and enjoy the teams progress through the season. he got smacked around saturday and got back up and it didn’t appear to phase him. TOB touts him as having a steep learning curve.. after the initial impression from watching the game.. i’m over the lackluster performance. there are alot of big expectations for him as the qb. i think we can temper those a bit, but not on the overall team and our coach. all in all, i think we’ll be bowling and playing some pretty solid football towards the end of the season. who knows, glennon’s steep learning curve may rub off on his wr’s and blow up the acc!

Gene
    Participant

“What I saw from Glennon was a QB with a strong, accurate arm who needs to become accustomed to game speed. I’m not down on Glennon at all. Quite the opposite actually. I’m excited we will have him as our QB the next two years, and look forward to many great games from him as the season progresses.’

Pretty much my thoughts on Glennon. He threw a lot of balls behind receivers, but he has the arm to be very good, if he can mentally play faster and get his timing down.

I agree with what one of the commentators said, he throws a pretty ball.

Hopefully it will translate to something positive this year.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Hopefully Glennon will take all the negativity over his first game performance, and make it a positive, with more desire to show the nay sayers that he deserves his job as the starting quarterback. One game certainly isn’t a good measurement of his ability.

runwiththepack
    Participant

Pride, good work.
    Saturday’s game was not the start i was hoping for – for either NCSU or the new qb. But, there is still a lot of time to fix what wasn’t up to par, given the relatively easy Sept schedule. Last year’s VA Tech season is an excellent case-in-point. I don’t think Liberty is much, if any, less of a team than JMU was when they knocked off VA Tech. By the end of the season, that game proved to be more of an upset than the AppSt/MI game, didn’t it?

Some of us are hung up on comparing Glennon to RW. No reason to rehash or compare, but it keeps happening anyway. I haven’t seen anything yet to persuade me that one year of RW would be better than two years of Glennon. But for those who insist on making this compare/contrast, I would love to start a thread about last year being Wilson’s “third-best year” at NCSU. (I typed “worst” at first, but caught myself in time and corrected it.)

If Glennon can get more comfortable and adjusted at his position, I still hold out a LOT of hope for him to put up big numbers in at least a few games before the year is over. We don’t need our new qb to be the best player on the team in order to have a good season like last year. We’ve got players all over the field who were good, or better than “good”, in 2010. I am convinced that Glennon improved 100% by the end of the game.

My concern Saturday is just as much for all the other experienced players as it is for inexperienced Glennon. Experience very well may prove to be all that Glennon needs.

But, on Saturday v. Liberty, there was just as much concern about the experienced players, who don’t have as many excuses as Glennon does for that worrisome first half.

Go, Wolfpack! We got a W. Hopefully we can get about 7 or 8 more this year, but that goal is clearly in jeopardy based on the Liberty game. @WF is a much better measure of the 2011 season.

coach13
    Participant

I am hoping with a game under his belt he will refine some issues.

1-He has to develop an internal alarm clock…couple of the sacks were on him for holding the ball too long.

2-he has to at least try a long ball. He went safe or uncatachable.

3-recognize double coverage which he threw into alot early.

Issue Glennon has he cannot control is his receiving group. I don’t know what the hell happened to George but he had a drop and completely disappeared. I said in another post, but when your FB is line up as a slot receiver, something is wrong.

Please stop repeating the “game speed” excuse that the radio guys kept using last night. This guy is not an 18 year old true freshman. If he is still adjusting to “game speed” in his forth year, the team has bigger problems.

Game speed against Liberty? Really? Do you think Wilson would of had a problem adjusting to the Liberty Flames’ game speed? Why the heck is spring and summer important if you are still learning about the speed of the game in September?

NCStatePride

tcthdi, I’m not sure you get how this works. When you are a second-stringer, by definition, you aren’t feeling the pressures of the first-string quarterback. When you are a freshmen and are watching everyone else play, you aren’t really growing a lot. What you are doing is learning how the system works, what routes to call, and increasing your abilities as a quarterback to connect with your receivers and avoid mistakes.

Glennon didn’t do good. We get it. He did go an entire game without making any unforced fumbles or throwing any interceptions. He completed 58% of his passes which is better than Wilson or Rivers did their first game on the field. Sure, you could use your logic to say “but Rivers was a freshmen”, but Wilson had been around for at least a little while. Shouldn’t he have done better? What I’m trying to point out is that you are completely throwing out the window the fact that this “junior quarterback” has just as much experience as a redshirt sophomore quarterback on the field. He’s learning. If you didn’t expect any learning curve throughout the first few games of the season in Glennon, then I’d argue you are either being unreasonable or stupid. You pick.

SuperStuff
    Participant

It’s his first start and his first full game. Glennon will develop into a nice QB when he gets more experience.

Wolfman 9806
    Participant

Great post! Puts my mind at ease a little more after a lack luster first game. I really hope that we are going to rally around Mike. He has been nothing short of a class act here at State. He doesn’t deserve to be compared to RW every week by the State community as he will certainly hear it from the media.

RW is a great alum of our university and I hope that his performance this year leads to an opportunity in the NFL. He’s also a class act and hopefully will find success in pro sports.

TOB is our coach and made the best decision in a unique and difficult situation. He has brought stability and even more so hope to purr program after the circus side-show we became under CTC.

In short, for some of you, stop f**king bitching and let’s support this team!

Greywolf
    Participant

“I was extremely disappointed in Glennon’s performance especially if you compare to how well Renner performed. He set an ACC record for gosh sakes.”

The only way to be extremely disappointed is to have extremely high expectations. Don’t try to put your disappointment on Glennon.

Another way to look at Glennon vs. Renner: Glennon has no way to go but up. Renner has no way to go but down. You can count on Greywolf to NEVER have a favorable comparison with UNX over State.

redcanine
    Participant

The guy won by 20 points in his first game as a starter. I’d feel pretty happy about that if I were the QB.

What if he doesn’t light WFU up this weekend? So what, as long as he does enough for us to win.

Master
    Participant

Is it going to be like this every week on this site? It’s 2011 and we have a new team with new players. Is Glennon the only guy we can rip or is there an agenda?

NCStatePride: Rather than delete this, I thought I’d make a point. It’s blatantly obvious that you didn’t read the article or didn’t get anything out of it. Absolutely NONE of this article is about “ripping Glennon” and it’s not about comparing him to Russell Wilson or starting another Russell Wilson discussion. In the future, I would encourage you to actually read the content on this site rather then assume what is or isn’t being discussed.

lonewolf

I dont follow this as closely as a lot of you do apparently, but it seems to me we may be focusing on Glennon too much and not enough on the rest of the team. He seems capable of being a succesful QB if the rest of the pack come through. He is not Russell Wilson for better or worse and that ship has sailed. The test for TOB will be W & L’s in the end. Its his program. Let him run it and hold him responsible. Wilson was more fun to watch but getting a 10+ win season could be even “funner”.

Master
    Participant

NCStatePride – I did read the entire article. I understand well how to use words that cast a subjective stance on an objective issue. Please excuse my cynicism.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.