ACC / Conference Tournaments Open Thread

Home Forums StateFans Basketball ACC / Conference Tournaments Open Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

^Lollllll very fitting way for Maryland to leave the ACC and have their (non-existent) bubble burst at the same time.

You can clearly see Turgeon say “You’ve got to be f*cking sh*tting me” on the replay. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Good Bye….A$$holes !…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

BJD95
    Keymaster

Boy, does Nova look like a fraud.

That Terp loss helps us in our NIT seeding quest, too!

PittsburghPackFan
    Participant

I was kinda hoping for a NC St v Maryland ACC final

So long Maryland, but I’m sure we’ll see you soon enough. The ACC-bIG challlenge isn’t that far away

PittsburghPackFan
    Participant

I just had a thought…

A coupla weeks ago, there was a thread where we re all pitching ideas for a ‘perfect world’ ACC tournament.

THEN – I was of the opinion of having just the top 8 teams participate

NOW – I think we could have everybody participate, but with no double-byes. EVERYONE has to play 4 games in 4 days, except for the top seed.

(1) gets a 1st round bye

(8) vs (9)

(4) vs (13)

(5) vs (12)

so on and so on, just like a NCAA tourney regional bracket

Sorry to bring this back up – but it is an OPEN thread, and like I said it JUST came to me

maverick_ncsu
    Participant

I like the idea, but never going to happen. The league doesn’t want their top teams (1) potentially having a bad loss before the NCAA selection (at least one less game reduces the chances) and (2) having to play too many games and then potentially having to play on Thursday/Saturday the next week. They want to protect that teams that will almost always be sure NCAA teams.

PittsburghPackFan
    Participant

…never going to happen…

I know, but a fella can dream, can’t he?!?

I just think that a 4th day of GOOD teams would draw better ratings and ticket sales than 2 days of BAD teams duking it out, with 3 days of GOOD teams to follow. Plus, it’s not fair that a potential matchup could be a 11-seed playing their 5th game in a many days, vs the 1 playing their 3rd in 3.

Start the thing on Wednesday, end on Saturday. Even if the top teams play on the following Thursday, that’s 4 days rest.

Oh well… when I set up my video game tournaments, I know how I will set them up from now on!

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Providence takes care of St. John’s, possibly putting the Friars in the tournament.

At the same time, the Friars may have just ruined the NCAA chances of our favorite analyst-coach – Steve Lavin.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Other updates – Houston beat SMU, and the Mustangs’ bid may be in real jeopardy.

Oklahoma State is likely in regardless, but they are in a one point game w/ Kansas (on Espn2) at the under 4 timeout.

Texpack
    Participant

After looking at things I would have called the Providence vs. St. John’s a preliminary play-in qualifier. This means the winner has a good chance, but may not yet be a lock.

The whole CUSA, Big East, AAC thing has my head ready to explode.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Penn State beat Minnesota … Houston beat SMU

Should we pull a couple of miracles on Friday and Saturday those results could loom large.

Wulfpack
    Participant

No, Minnesota beat Penn State. Watched it.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Arkansas lost to South Carolina. Xavier down early to Marquette.

Bubbles are popping all over the place. Stanford – not a lock – taking on HWSNBN.

Wulfpack
    Participant

But Dayton won, Providence won, FSU won, Minny won, and Mizzou won. Still a ways to go. Lunardi doesn’t even have us on the “next four out” list. Must beat Cuse and then Duke for a shot. This was reiterated by Palm today.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Word is Dawkins will be fired without a tourney bid. Wonder if Herb will help him out.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^You’re correct, I must have transposed the Penn St. score or saw it listed wrong somewhere.

Faint hopes for NC State too be sure, still fascinating taking in all these bubble results.

Texpack
    Participant

Iowa loss to NW can’t help their situation. They haven’t beaten a top 100 team in over a month.

BJD95
    Keymaster

The radio guys calling the B1G tourney (was listenin on way back from GBO) were already writing Iowa’s eulogy.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I didn’t think they had a case, but I saw WVU listed as bubble. They got laughed out of the gym by TX.

Bees and Tiggers have something against me sleeping, apparently.

BJD95
    Keymaster

But sorry, FS1. Staying up til 2am for the Fighten Sendeks is a bridge too far…even for me.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Not to worry BJD. I’d wager only a handful of folks out here are gonna take the time to watch that one….and it’s 3 hours earlier here.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^I fell asleep just before Clemson-GT went to overtime – a game that GT had full control of. I guess minimal sleep and maximum basketball will eventually force you to sleep even when games are going to overtime 🙂

To recap yesterday’s bubble losers (some of these teams will be fine, but still are technically ‘bubble’):
    SMU
    Iowa (a very 2006 NC State collapse down the stretch)
    Oklahoma State
    St. John’s
    Kansas State
    Utah
    Arkansas
    California
    Oregon
    West Virginia
    Arizona State

Today’s bubble games (Friday, 3/14):
    FSU vs. Virginia
    Missouri vs. Florida
    Pittsburgh vs. *nx
    Nebraska vs. Ohio State
    Dayton vs. St. Joseph’s (possible elimination game for either team)
    Tennessee vs. South Carolina
    Minnesota vs. Wisconsin
    VCU vs. Richmond
    Providence vs. Seton Hall
    Colorado vs. Arizona
    George Washington vs. UMass (both teams projected ‘in’)
    Baylor vs. Texas
    Xavier vs. Creighton
    Stanford vs. UCLA

Texpack
    Participant

We didn’t move at all on the dance card. That should tell you that we may very well need to win the ACC Tournament.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Here is who Lunardi currently has ahead of us:

Stanford
    Xavier
    Nebraska
    Tennessee
    St. Joe’s
    Dayton
    BYU
    Providence
    Minnesota
    FSU
    Southern Miss
    Cal
    Arkansas
    Mizzou
    St. John’s
    Green Bay

Now some of these teams are already done. And beating Cuse and then Duke (not Clemson) would go a long way. But how long? Uphill battle for sure.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.