ACC / Conference Tournaments Open Thread

Home Forums StateFans Basketball ACC / Conference Tournaments Open Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

I know we will have game threads for the Pack games, but I wanted to get a thread going discussing the ACC Tournament and conference tournaments across the nation. Bubble discussion is certainly relevant.

List of tournament winners: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/champweek2014/story/_/id/10574072/punched-their-ticket-2014-ncaa-men-basketball-tournament

Conference tournament brackets: http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/feature/index?page=champweek2014
    (specifically did not use a cbs sports link just for VaWolf 🙂 )

As of yet, there have not been any ‘bubble popping’ results – just a few unfortunate 1 seeds to go down in their respective conference tournaments – but they get an auto NIT bid as consolation (Belmont, Davidson, Robert Morris, Iona, Green Bay, High Point, FGCU).

Cases could be made for Belmont and Green Bay, but each of their respective resumes suggest they are NIT bound … BYU lost to Gonzaga in the WCC championship game, and their status is very much up in the air – made so even more by losing a key player to a potentially serious injury during that game.

The bubble popping is about to seriously commence, however. No ‘bubble’ relevant games in the ACC today (Wed., the 12th), but there are a few across the country – including the following:

USC vs. Colorado –
    Buffaloes probably fine, but why tempt fate? Plus Dinwiddie is out for the season

Oregon St. vs. Oregon –
    same – Ducks most likely a lock regardless of result

TCU vs. Baylor –
    Bears have probably played their way off the bubble and in as of late, but a loss to a horrid TCU squad would immediately change their status

DePaul vs. Georgetown –
    ‘Experts’ have Georgetown on the bubble. They have some great rpi wins and a great SOS, and a few terrible losses. I don’t see it happening unless they make a run in the Big East tournament. A loss to our old friend Oliver Purnell’s DePaul squad would put the kibosh on Georgetown bubble talk.

Washington St. vs. Stanford –
    Johnny Dawkins’ Cardinal are a true bubble team. Rpi in the 40’s, some decent wins, some not so decent losses. A loss versus the Cougars could send the Cardinal to the NIT and end Dawkins’ tenure at Stanford. It’s on record from the Cardinal AD that no NCAA invite = no more job for Dawkins.

Please share your thoughts or update what you feel relevant here. Enjoy the fun of the tournaments everyone and go Pack 🙂

Wulfpack
    Participant

Wake and Notre Dame at 1, then Miami and VT follows. Last game for Bzz? Scouting time.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Interesting uniforms for the Irish, and there’s our dear friend – Karl Hess.

Texpack
    Participant

Wake vs Notre Dame. As a former preacher at our church once said, “As long as Baptists marry Catholics there will always be a need for the Methodist Church.”

BJD95
    Keymaster

Looks like ND is content just to get back home. Can’t say I really blame ’em.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^^Haha.

Bzzz trying to make the #BuzzOut supporters squirm. A lot of WF fans that want Bzzz out want Wellman gone too, it looks.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Well, we’re officially doomed.

Digger was just touting our sleeper chances in this tournament … PANIC!!! 🙂

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Go Baptists!!

Make those Catholics ‘confess’!

fwiw… I’m probably the only one… but I kinda starting to like Coach Consonant…
    from here.. it looks like he’s busting his A$$ with his kids and getting their best most nights…

Afterall …. The Deacs did defeat the Road this season…. that counts for something… somewhere….

But then what do I know about anything?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Surprisingly solid attendance for this garbage. Basically a home game for Wake, but still many others there.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

“Surprisingly solid attendance for this garbage” – A lady I work with is in attendance for today’s “festivities” with her entire family just for the Scotty McCreery concert. Sad that the highlight of the opening round might be that guy.

FergusWolf
    Participant

I was watching the ESPN feed of the ND/WF game, and the announcers spent the last five minutes of the game trying to explain why Bzdelik shouldn’t be fired…

The best part was when they compared Bzedelik to Les Robinson

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

1-15
    4-12
    6-12
    6-12

Sid-like numbers. I wonder if he has a good recruiting class coming in. 😉

FergusWolf
    Participant

^ Because comparing him to Sid is a sure sign he’s a winner

BJD95
    Keymaster

Go Hokies!!!

tjfoose1
    Participant

1-15
    4-12
    6-12
    6-12

… is trending up.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Watching this game is like slow torture.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Yeah, it’s quite shitty.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Darren Sharper could have a field day just by turning this game on during a date.
    (yikes….too soon???)

BJD95
    Keymaster

LMAO, never.

Hokies hanging in this shitburger.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… looks like the Hokies are giving the fine folks over in Greensboro their money’s worth…

Interesting.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BJD95
    Keymaster

Go home, Miami. You’re drunk.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Sad trombone for VT.
    Jeebus.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Sadly…VPI drunker.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Mercifully over.
    See ya tomorrow ‘Canes.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Aaaaannnd, thanks for nothing, Jerrell Eddie. Call your stupid timeout.

We will need redemption against Miami if we want revenge against Syracuse. Damn it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.