ACC Basketball Opener – On the Road at daU

Home Forums All StateFansNation ACC Basketball Opener – On the Road at daU

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Coach vs Recruiter

WolfWiz11
    Participant

I really do think the refs saved us there. I never knew defensive rebounding was so difficult.

choppack1
    Participant

Vintage gott ball on display here.

Miami has a very good basketball coach, we have a great recruiter.

We can’t use lack of talent as an excuse for our 7 seed or worse yet.

Rick
    Keymaster

bill.onthebeach wrote:

Kids not getting a lot from the Bench today…

Today?

Yeah… today.

We’ve both seen 10 times better than this from GOTT && Company…

I would agree we’ve seen more, I am not sure we have seen better. Bench coaching is not Gott’s strength

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Lol at rebounding. Why give up 2, when you can give up 3?

Rick
    Keymaster

Can we change Henderson’s name to scorch?

rbwolfpack
    Participant

I have lost all interest in this basketball team. I will not waste another day watching a team this bad. Good luck

WolfWiz11
    Participant

17 offensive rebounds for Miami, 29 second chance points. Someone needs to be fired.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

I would agree we’ve seen more, I am not sure we have seen better. Bench coaching is not Gott’s strength

[/quote]

Fixed that for you Rick 😉

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

When teams are relatively equal in talent…

the outcome comes down to:
    60% attitude and momentum
    20% coaching
    20% luck

What do you really expect the Coaches on the down side of the score to do once you’re half way thru the second half ???

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Rick
    Keymaster

I have lost all interest in this basketball team. I will not waste another day watching a team this bad. Good luck

It will be a convenience thing for me. If I am home and bored I might watch. It’s simply not worth the effort to watch bad basketball.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Unless you are a micro-manager of an in game coach (see Sidney Lowe) then 95% of coaching is done prior to games. We can see who did a better job coaching prior to this game.

Rick
    Keymaster

When teams are relatively equal in talent…

the outcome comes down to:
    60% attitude and momentum
    20% coaching
    20% luck

What do you really expect the Coaches on the down side of the score to do once you’re half way thru the second half ???

Two things
    1) I don’t believe in luck. The more prepared and harder working teams tend to be ‘lucky’
    2) Nothing at that point. But they should be better prepared going into the game.
    Other than that I agree with your post.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Rick…

if you want to be great Coach…
    you’ll learn as much from “bad” ball as from “good” IF not more…

corollary to ‘you learn from your mistakes, not so much from the things you do right’…
    and it’s really easy to learn from others’ mistakes…

I’m not talking X&Os… I’m talking people management…

Rick
    Keymaster

Unless you are a micro-manager of an in game coach (see Sidney Lowe) then 95% of coaching is done prior to games. We can see who did a better job coaching prior to this game.

In game coaching is tweaking things

Rick
    Keymaster

Rick…

if you want to be great Coach…
    you’ll learn as much from “bad” ball as from “good” IF not more…

corollary to ‘you learn from your mistakes, not so much from the things you do right’…
    and it’s really easy to learn from others’ mistakes…

I’m not talking X&Os… I’m talking people management…

Agreed. Good coaches learn from their mistakes. I have never seen this in Gott. He seems unwilling or unable to improve his team defense.

Btw I think it is harder to learn from others mistakes and easier to learn from your own.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK… that’s the Ballgame…

Smoke IF you GOTT ’em…

BIG FOUR goes 0 for Four today…
    that’s historical, trust me…

Nevertheless, I still think we’ll have a basketball season that will make us smile and when it’s over, we’ll be proud of our kids…

POP!!!

Now, back to the gridiron….

We all need to be pulling for that land grant school immediately to our South…
    even Mr. Stick…

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Being up front on this I’ve always thought Larranaga has been a great coach, not a great recruiter, and felt he would have been great for us not Gottfried. He’s not a flashy guy and traditionally not a great recruiter (high stars) but he knows how to develop players. Even with his lack of high recruiting success NC State has enough built in advantages when it comes to basketball recruiting that he could have done as well or better recruiting initially as the other coaches in the last 25 years at State.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

In game coaching is tweaking things

Agree to a certain extent. During games I don’t tweak but rather I reinforce what we’ve worked on in practices. The majority of what I do during games is keep the kids focus on what’s important and try not to disrupt the symmetry when I have to substitute.

MrPlywood
    Participant

1) I don’t believe in luck. The more prepared and harder working teams tend to be ‘lucky’

Rick and I find common ground. I believe you make your own luck, which is essentially what he said.

My carpet is drying out and the basement is down to 52% humidity, 7% to go. So at least there’s some progress on that front.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Jigs… Jim L. is the real deal, no question…
    ——————

Fwiw… I learnt coaching different..

When I was coaching, I’d let my kids play for most of the game…
    but if it was close going down the stretch, or if some thing opened up big earlier, I would always reach in the bag of tricks and pull some Sh#t out…

Won more than I lost,
    plus I liked f’ing with the Coach….

on some level, it was always personal between me and the other Coach…
    even if I’d never seen him before or didn’t know his name…

mano o mano, you know…

I know on many occasions, that helped my kids more than hurt them…
    they always knew… win or lose, Coach has our backs…

just me.. being me….

choppack1
    Participant

True. This game was lost a long time ago. Probably in practice for dsjr and Yurtsven sometime in October. For Abu, Anya, Henderson’s, and Dorn it was lost every time they were allowed to loaf or not box out or not move their feet or commit a stupid foul in practice.

We may end up being great this season or another under Gott, but it will shock me. Like I said, the most likely outcome of this year is an ACC semifinal loss, an NCAA seed 7 or worse and another year of us bellyaching about calls, and watching the NCAA bubble.

It’s also amusing that Gott’s teams have to learn the hard way while other coaches in the conference and around the country can reach their kids before they are virtually eliminated from a top 4 NCAA seed.

BJD95
    Keymaster

EXACTLY. I always used to grade coaches on three prongs/roles: as recruiter/salesman, as in-game coach/strategist, and as team preparation/motivator.

And don’t give me that shit “they shouldn’t NEED to be motivated by anybody else.” First, it IS WHAT IT IS. NOT WHAT IT SHOULD BE. Second, if you don’t think a teenage male is the kind of person who needs his energies and emotions properly directed…well, shit. I don’t even know where to start.

mak4dpak
    Participant

It was ugly, but fortunately a road game, where Miami hasn’t lost at home. Lots of learning to be done after this one, per coach, after the game. Heard coach say this is the ACC, and the team has to run the offense, and not do there on thing, going one on one. I believe we will look better next game, and our freshman will eventually learn what they need to do in game time situations. Entirely too early to throw in the towel, with a young team. Go Pack!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

It’s also amusing that Gott’s teams have to learn the hard way while other coaches in the conference and around the country can reach their kids before they are virtually eliminated from a top 4 NCAA seed.

Au contraire, monsieur…

Coach Rat absolutely hung his kids out today…
    In fact, he does this annually around this time of year…

Today he blamed it all on Grayson…
    which is a whole other conversation…

Remember that Dook game in the PNC, I think two years ago, when we blew their doors off? Rat sat with his arms crossed the whole second half. Game didn’t matter. He was prepping his kids for the Dance.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 179 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.