ACC Basketball Opener – On the Road at daU

Home Forums All StateFansNation ACC Basketball Opener – On the Road at daU

Viewing 4 posts - 176 through 179 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    Adventuroo
    Participant

I apologize for the STRONG or BOLD italics. That was NOT my intent. It was for the quoted text. I tried to edit and that function is gone since I switched pages…

ryebread
    Participant

Quick thoughts:
    – The game vs. Miami was horrible. We looked more interested in partying at South Beach on New Year’s Eve than playing any basketball. Abu was about the only one who showed up to play.
    – Sadly, laying an egg early in conference season is predictable with Gott.
    – We have enough talent to secure the ACC double bye. We have a NBA point guard, a potential NBA prospect playing center, our all time leading shot blocker in the middle, a backup point guard that can actually defend fairly well, 3 good shooters, and 2 motor guys. That is enough talent to win and win big. Does anyone actually believe if given this lineup a coach like K, Roy, Pitino or Boeheim wouldn’t be a serious title contender? Heck, what if Tony Bennett or even Larranaga had this roster?
    – Getting talent to you is part of coaching, and Gott’s been good at that. I will give him credit as one cannot win without talent.
    – Gott is a mediocre coach on the court and as a program runner. He’s now got ~ 20 years of power 5 experience. He’s got a program with more resources now, but also tougher competition. At both Alabama and NC State he’s a .500 in conference coach, and his non-conference and overall winning percentages are about the same. This guy is what he is, and that’s not really going to change.
    – There’s a lot of basketball left to be played this year. The floor for this team should be the Sweet 16, and the reasonable reachable goal should be to secure one of those top 4 ACC spots that get the double bye. By doing that, the seeds will be favorable enough to possibly win the ACC tournament and to get a very good national seed, which would open the door to the Elite 8 or beyond.
    – Yow loves Gott and isn’t firing him. Those two are seemingly a package.
    – Gott’s teams do tend to improve and peak around tournament time. That means we need to be patient and wait and see how this plays out.
    – If we fail to meet the floor this year, Gott should be gone. He will have squandered a king’s ransom. He will not be though.
    – If I were Randy and Gott underperforms this season, I’d ask for Yow’s early retirement. She’ll have done here what she could feasibly do, but more loyalty to Gott (NC State’s most important coach) isn’t going to be rewarded.
    – I said last spring and I still believe that the BEST thing that happened to NC State basketball in a long time was Archie signing that extension at Dayton. Hopefully it keeps him out of play this offseason.
    – For all those who were screaming about DD during football, I felt (and still feel) that by doing so, it has hurt our collective credibility to voice legitimate concern about Gott. We just look like the lunatic fringe. DD is a pretty bad game coach, has a terrible overall record, and doesn’t manage the media and fan base well, but against resources and input$, he is acceptable. Gott’s got a machine that is top 15-20 in every measurable way except his coaching performance. He’s the poster child for doing less with more. We are a basketball school in a basketball conference, and there should be considerable scrutiny of him. Instead because of the “noise” around football in the fall, Gott seems like a saint to the AD.

choppack1
    Participant

Roo – regarding your assessment of V and Gott…

V’s teams actually ran a lot in practice. As you rightly pointed out, it was a different era and V relied on his instincts and his observations. He also had a couple of high IQ guys in the backcourt and various other glue guys. He believed in a roster that allowed him various angles of attack.

Those days are gone now and this era is different.

Regarding Gott and his practices – I wonder how much teaching is going on and exactly what is emphasized. Since he was at Alabama, his teams have a reputation for being mediocre defensively. Since he has been at NC State, his teams have done a very poor job on he boards – xphoenix accurately broke down some of these other defiencies.

It has to be noted that during this time frame, his teams have never been accused of having decencies in talent.

Regarding Yow and the non-revenue sports. I don’t know whether it’s rotten luck that the 2 most important hires for a Power 5 conference haven’t had the clear success that her swimming and wrestling coach are. Perhaps someone different is making these hires or vetting them
    Perhaps, it’s only a matter of emphasis or it’s easier to identify AND secure successful hires. Perhaps, ego is playing a greater role in these 2 positions – I don’t know.

Suffice it to say, if DD and Gott had similar success of some of these other coaches, there would be nothing but joy in Wolfpack nation and NC state tickets would be a hot commodity.

ryebread
    Participant

Suffice it to say, if DD and Gott had similar success of some of these other coaches, there would be nothing but joy in Wolfpack nation and NC state tickets would be a hot commodity.

chop: One has to think that if the crown jewels were performing, not only would ticket sales be up, but alumni giving would as well. At least that is the lie that proliferates to justify going big with sports spending.

With NC State’s big endowment push, one would think the Chancellor would want the revenue sports to be performing. Wrestling and swimming and diving are great, but they don’t cause people to open wallets as much as football and basketball.

Viewing 4 posts - 176 through 179 (of 179 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.