2016 CWS Open Thread

Home Forums StateFans Baseball & Other Sports 2016 CWS Open Thread

Tagged: 

Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

Don’t start trynna nibble, Andrew. Keep going after ’em.

highstick
    Participant

ummm Chop, not sure “pretty blue collar” is an apt description of the area. True there are many blue collar types down that way but it’s proximity to Myrtle Beach brings in a very wide variety of “folks”. While it’s not a techie haven like the triangle is, it is a mish mash of retirees (of all sorts), home growns of every description from the intellectual elites down to true trailer park trash, and the myriad for those drawn to “live and lie on the beach”. I grew up 20 miles from the actual beach and I’m amazed at the transformation that has taken place down that way. Much like the triangle has been morphed due to what could be considered “outside influences”, so has Horry County, pronounced oh-REE, (home of the Chants). Visitor and real estate taxes have built some of the best schools in the country.

LOL…You left out the Canadians, Yogi! I’ll give Coastal credit as they have supported developing their athletic programs. A friend of mine was Board chair for a number of years. And there was, and still is, some trailer park trash with money in that area, aka, Gallivant’s Ferry and Aynor. At one point I really considered combining with another of my partners and buying out the Myrtle Beach and Florence practices from our firm, but 54 holes of golf, several beers, and really paying attention to the Grand Strand traffic in June convinced me to decline. I still had a number of clients in that area until I transferred in 1999. Where did you grow up? I grew up less than 2 hours away back in the old days when you could drive on the beach in OD(and it was still called OD), see the Bama guys at the Bowery and buy 15 cent draft beers.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

highstick
    Participant

Ouch! Took a lot of hard knocks behind the plate, but never that way! Batter hit me in the jaw with the bat and ripped my mask off. Glancing blow or I’d probably be dead. I’d warned the sucker to quit screwing around with his feet in the batters box several times before cause it was a teammate of mine in batting practice. When I got up, they had to drag me off of him!

Texpack
    Participant

I’d feel better if he’d left Holmes in the game

Wufpacker
    Participant

Feel the Teal.
    Nice job, Chickens. Nat’l Champs.
    Well done.

Pack78
    Participant

What a finish-BEACH CHICKENS!

Texpack
    Participant

Way to go Super Chickens!

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Congrats Chickens!!!!!

A gut-wrenching bottom of the 9th…couldn’t help but think when they were one strike away that we were one strike away from sending them back to Conway… Good job Chickens!

Adventuroo
    Participant

Maybe we DO need the….For ONE K banner.

At time share in South MB. Out of state crowd at pool bar. Had to stream on U.

What a game…. especially with 13 YO GS…. women shopping.

At pool. Conned barmaid out of free Margarita and am enjoying the sights.

Go Roosters. Old Chant done out fixed the fox.

What a way to get your 1100 nd win.

Really special.

Back to my drink.

tractor57
    Participant

TheCOWDOG

Good for the Chaucerleers…a very likeable club.
    If Young can find a position, somehow, this Summer in A ball, geez.

YogiNC
    Participant

CHICKEN BIG! BIG! BIG! BIG!

YEEEEHAH! Those guys are special! Can’t wait to get me a shirt! HA!

Stick, I grew up in Loris. Not sure if you knew this but I played catcher too! I was really tickled for David Parrett, he should have gotten a share of best player. He sure came through in the hard part of that 3 game winning streak that it took to get them into the finals.

Smarter than the average bear

YogiNC
    Participant

BTW Stick, i played in a band at the back alley in OD summer of 72. I’m still amazed I survived that summer. FOND memories though of quite a few lasses from all over the carolinas. Ahhh Groupies, the jam in my jelly roll.

highstick
    Participant

CHICKEN BIG! BIG! BIG! BIG!

YEEEEHAH! Those guys are special! Can’t wait to get me a shirt! HA!

Stick, I grew up in Loris. Not sure if you knew this but I played catcher too! I was really tickled for David Parrett, he should have gotten a share of best player. He sure came through in the hard part of that 3 game winning streak that it took to get them into the finals.

Loris Hospital System was one of my client’s for a while. Yep, I knew you were an ex-player who “toiled in the dirt on his knees”. I’m happy for them…Both the Big Chicks and the Little Chicks have something that the Tiggers don’t have!

I was “unfortunate enough to have spent 14 years in Florence…Had a client in Florence that had a band that played at the Ocean Forest back in the day. Mark Herndon would finish up drumming for Alabama at the Bowery and then ride his bicycle down to the Ocean Forest to play with them cause he couldn’t afford gas money. This was before the time that they were discovered and changed their name.

choppack1
    Participant

Guys – congratulations to the beach chickens.

And fwiw – strippers, bartenders, bouncers, waitresses, and beer cart drivers, and strippers = blue collar

YogiNC
    Participant

Granted chop those are blue collars but they make up less than 10% of the population, Horry county is one of the richest counties in SC. Retirees make up a huge portion in that area. And like Stick said, there are some very unlikely people down there with LOTS of money. A farmer I know personally donated land AND built the athletic parks at Loris High School. His son played football for Clemson, and he was a good ball player but not THAT good, if you know what I’m saying.

As for Coastal Carolina they are very much like UNC Wilmington, they have always lived in the shadow of USC. They were a junior college until 1976. They are a VERY good college and have received many accolades over the past several years. Read their history here…CCU history

Being a native of Horry county AND CCU was the first college I attended I’m pretty proud of them. I’ve had nieces, nephews, cousins, children of cousins, and friends that have educations from there and have played various sports there. Today they have something to really crow about (pun intended) and I’m really happy for them. The interviews I saw post game throughout the world series have been some of the best I’ve ever witnessed. This has been a long time coming but they finally made it and they did it with humility and great sportsmanship. Along the way I’ve read some incredible things about the members of that team. I really hope to see those guys in the bigs.

highstick
    Participant

Good post, Yogi…and also a good comment on UNC-W…one of my high school teammates played there while a Jr. College, signed and played with both Kansas City and Cleveland in the Big Show…First game up against Boston, he went 2-3 against Jim Lonborg(and I think he won the Cy that year). To this day, I can still say that he was the only person who ever hit a homerun off of me in organized baseball…But then, I only pitches 6 innings over a number of years….but still, I can say that!!! Along with harassing the kid that I struck out twice in that same game!

TheCOWDOG

Worth noting is the Parret kid ( .130 BA coming into the CWS, ) and LF Marks, just signed Free Agent contracts. The 6 Chaucerleers drafted have not yet signed, that I’m aware.

State draftees Gilbert, Knizner and Williamson have signed. Williamson promptly underwent TJ surgery.

Palmeiro and Beckman have not reached terms.

Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.