It’s been a crazy 48 hours in the world of ‘Bowl Tracking’, but some developments over the last few hours have opened visibility to a likely scenario of how NC State ultimately could play in the EagleBank Bowl in Washington, DC despite the news from yesterday that such a bid was unlikely.
We have been updating this entry with key bowl developments and analysis over the last two days that would be of value to you
As you can see from this ‘big’ news tonight that Lee Fowler is actually getting press for doing what any Athletics Director should be doing, nothing has come together for the Wolfpack yet.
The following are SFN’s current bowl projections for the ACC based on the current direction of the winds that are blowing if Maryland is allowed to weasel out of their commitments to the league.
(1) Orange – VT/BC winner
(2) Peach – Georgia Tech (done deal 12/3)
(3) Gator – Clemson (done deal)
(4) Champs – Florida State
(5) Music City – VT/BC loser
(6) Meineke – UNC
(7) Emerald – Miami
(8) Boise – Wake Forest
(9) Eagle – NC State
(10) At-Large (Motor City?) – Maryland
The following are the two key variables for you to keep monitor that must converge in order for NC State to earn an invite to DC to play Navy:
(1) The Champs Bowl needs to select Florida State over UNC which would push UNC to the Meineke Bowl in Charlotte. If the Champs chooses UNC-CH, then the Meineke will probably pick Maryland to pair with West Virginia for a renewal of a strong regional rivalry that would insure a sellout. Taking Maryland off the board would create a situation where the final three bowls could be filled in a manner that excludes NC State.
(2) The Emerald Bowl needs to choose Miami over Wake Forest in an attempt to draw television interest in a game that won’t be able to attract a large traveling contingent from either program leaving two teams that cannot/will not play in the Eagle Bowl – Wake because they played Navy in the regular season and Maryland because they have pulled themselves from consideration due to exams.
JP Giglio of the N&O’s ACCNow has a fantastic piece up on their blog that is good news for NC State getting to Washington.
Giglio has sources that indicate the first key domino in the equation is happening — Champs to choose FSU.
This would create and obvious situation where UNC-CH goes to Charlotte and pushes Maryland, Miami & Wake Forest for the ACC’s final three slots.
As we previously stated, the next variable that would have to fall into place for the Wolfpack is for the Emerald Bowl – who had Maryland last year – to pass over Wake Forest and choose Miami.
Again, click here for a lot of good information that runs parallel to this entry.