Sleep Peacefully Tonight

Home Forums All StateFansNation Sleep Peacefully Tonight

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

No; it’s not National BBQ Day.

[See the full post at: Sleep Peacefully Tonight]

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

George Orwell may not have uttered the line that ended the post, even though it is frequently attributed to him:

People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf

freshmanin83
    Participant

Thank you for the post VaWolf82. May God bless America. May God bless the families of those who have fallen in service of their country.

Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.

Pack78
    Participant

We are the land of the free because of the brave-thanks to all…

Becton901
    Participant

That’s a powerful way to remember the fallen. Thank you.
    I spent a good part of the afternoon tidying up my Dad’s grave (and Mom’s and uncles’).
    It’s a peaceful cemetery out in the country. No noise, nice breeze, and overlooking grain fields and forests. A good place to remember and appreciate the deeds of the fallen.
    Dad was a P-51 pilot in the European theatre. He lost several good friends, but did return to have a family and live a long life.

john of sparta
    Participant

Orwell:
    Even as it stands, the Home Guard could only exist in a country where men feel themselves free. The totalitarian states can do great things, but there is one thing they cannot do: they cannot give the factory-worker a rifle and tell him to take it home and keep it in his bedroom. THAT RIFLE HANGING ON THE WALL OF THE WORKING-CLASS FLAT OR LABOURER’S COTTAGE, IS THE SYMBOL OF DEMOCRACY. IT IS OUR JOB TO SEE THAT IT STAYS THERE.

44rules
    Participant

Fine sentiments all around. Thanks, VA.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Texpack
    Participant

My Uncle Al passed away this past year. He was a Marine in Europe in WWII. My Dad said he talked about seeing one soldier after another pick up the American flag after the previous bearer was killed or wounded. My family is very fortunate to have never lost anyone in war. I’m grateful for the sacrifice of so many other families that has kept us free.

rthomas44
    Participant

Sorry, but we’re not going to discuss politics or even military strategy/incompetence on this thread.

VaWolf82

Fastback68
    Participant

I’m sitting here in the hospital with my father who served 1951-1953. He was 16 in 1945 and the only reason he got into Georgia Tech was because there was a war going on. I don’t believe that for one second. Yesterday he told my wife and I some Fort Bliss stories.

Fastback68
    Participant

My Father passed away this morning. I really thought we lost him back on 8/27 but he just kept fighting on and on. He got drafted for the Korean war but was the only engineer, besides one other draftee, out of 50 guys in his group. They sent both of them off to spend 2 years testing equipment for the military in the desert. They flew some of the earliest remote control aircraft to be shot down during pilot training. They also shot off a couple of V2 rockets brought back from Germany. General Motors came out with a new automatic engine but the top brass were skeptical of it with regards to on the battlefield reliability. Dad said him and a group of guys drove the hell out of them day and night. I wish I had a video of that because I never saw the man go over 40mph on a secondary street or over 50 on the highway. Never saw tobacco or alcohol at home but the one thing that stands out was how fair he was with everyone he encountered in life. Rest In Peace old boy.

44rules
    Participant

Just checked back in. Do so every month or so for old times. Rest in peace, old man Fastback. Prayers up for you, your family and loved ones.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Fastback68
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words 44. Today would have been his 90th b-day. I’m sure he’s having fun.

Becton901
    Participant

RT, you ok?

McCallum
    Participant

Hey you basturds

I’m still here.

McCallum

McCallum
    Participant

Still here you bastards.

How has that cancel culture worked out for you with other site?

McCallum

Becton901
    Participant

It sux
    Just a bunch of arguing.
    Only thing worth a crap is the start the boat thread on the brickyard.

Pacfanweb
    Participant

It sux
    Just a bunch of arguing.
    Only thing worth a crap is the start the boat thread on the brickyard.

Rarely post here, but used to post there all the time. Just got tired of it.
    Every. Single. Thread. ends up as a political argument, totally derailed from whatever its original topic was.

One day I just said…”what the heck am I doing here? This is a total waste of time and not even fun now” and logged out.

And I used to do some work in that Motorboat thread, I DO miss that a bit, lol

McCallum
    Participant

The GIF thread is pretty fun. Limited commentary and no moderation.

I last posted there in 2002. Banned
    for advocating violence against Ringo Starr.

McCallum

McCallum
    Participant

Still here you bastards.

McCallum

Becton901
    Participant

Packfanweb, maybe you should start a motorboat thread here. With less clothes.

McCallum
    Participant

Maybe he could start with Larry Monteith?

McCallum

StateRed44
    Participant

What happened to this website? This place still appears on Twitter, if it’s the same dude.

McCallum
    Participant

Yo Yo Yo,

Word to da mutha.

Peace out

McCallum

40YdLine
    Participant

Snore………

"Don't ever give up"

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.