In news nobody could possibly find surprising, former UNC-CH defensive end Michael McAdoo had his appeal denied today. The News and Observer has the best coverage of this development. McAdoo was previously declared permanently ineligible by the NCAA — apparently due to tutor issues (if I am reading this right):
UNC has declined to disclose which portion of the investigation McAdoo was involved in but in previous cases the NCAA has provided detailed reports about the players that received improper benefits. The NCAA has issued no report on McAdoo and declined to comment on the case on Wednesday.
I just love Baddour’s comment:
“We appealed this decision because we believed it was unfair and we continue to believe that,” UNC athletic director Dick Baddour said in a statement released by the school on Wednesday.
As a third-year player, McAdoo’s eligible to enter the NFL draft but the deadline for underclassmen to declare has passed. He has the option to enter the supplemental draft in July. He would have to enroll at an National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics school to continue his college career because the NCAA’s ruling extends to the FCS, Division II and III levels.
Mark Armstong’s Twitter feed is a good place to find breaking information on this topic. From earlier today:
jjones9 UNC AD Dick Baddour said UNC continues to believe the decision is unfair. NCAA heard the appeal on Dec. 14 about 5 hours ago via web Retweeted by ArmstrongWTVD and 2 others
DerekRowles #BreakingNews — NCAA Upholds Decision Of Permanent Ineligibility For UNC’s Michael McAdoo about 5 hours ago via TweetDeck Retweeted by ArmstrongWTVD and 2 others