It is mandatory that you read this link before proceeding with the remainder of this entry.
NC State hired new coaches for our two most prominent sports this year. With this said, we thought that it would be worthwhile to share information and links to the compensation structures for both Sidney Lowe and Tom O’Brien. One day there will be a need for someone to find this information and it will be nice for it to be archived.
Much has been made of O’Brien’s incentive-laden compensation structure. We are big fans of these structures as they pay like most of the real world pays by incenting for performance.
By most accounts, Tom O’Brien’s will earn an minimum of approximately $1.1 million a year in base salary/compensation; none of which is paid by the private Wolfpack Club. TOB’s initial contract is a seven year deal.
NC State will pay TOB as much as $750,000 a year in incentives, including $300,000 for winning an ACC championship. For example, if TOB/NCS wins an ACC title, was among the top five in a final poll, won eight ACC games and had a graduation rate of 55 %, then O’Brien would earn a total of $1.85 million.
Here are the incentives (from N&O):
* $100,000 for reaching the ACC Championship Game.
* $200,000 for winning the ACC championship and/or reaching a BCS bowl.
* $50,000 for reaching any non-BCS bowl.
* $200,000 for being ranked No. 1 to No. 5 in any of the final polls (The Associated Press, USA Today/ESPN, BCS) or …
* $150,000 if the Pack finishes ranked No. 6 through No. 10 or …
* $100,000 if the Pack finishes ranked No. 11 through No. 15 or ….
* $50,000 if the Pack finishes No. 16 through No. 20. (O’Brien will be compensated based on the team’s highest ranking.)
* $50,000 for winning five ACC games in a season and an additional $50,000 for each win after the fifth ACC victory (ACC teams play eight conference games during the season).
* $50,000 if the adjusted graduation rate for football players is 55 percent or better.
The N&O reported that Sidney Lowe has signed a (relative) unconventional 6-year contract with NC State as opposed to a traditional 5-year one. The contract and details are highlighed in this article.
The N&O highlighted the following
* BASE SALARY: $210,000
* SUPPLEMENTAL ANNUAL COMPENSATION: $290,000
* TV/RADIO ANNUAL COMPENSATION: $250,000
* ANNUAL BONUS INCENTIVES: After Lowe’s second season, a $50,000 annual bonus for years in which a team’s NCAA adjusted graduation rate over the preceding six-year period is 55% or higher.
* For ACC regular-season championship, ACC Tournament championship or NCAA Tournament bid, two months salary ($35,000).
* For appearance in the NCAA Tournament’s regional semifinals (Sweet 16), three months salary ($52,500).
* For appearance in the NCAA Tournament semifinals (Final Four), four months salary ($70,000)
* (Note: championship and postseason bonuses cannot exceed four months salary in any year.)
* TERMINATION WITHOUT CAUSE: $510,000 a year for remaining years on contract.