NC Political Predictions

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk NC Political Predictions

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 511 total)
  • Author
    Adventuroo
    Participant

My bad on the Watts boys.

It most certainly was James.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

– Those that think the current welfare system is affordable or is doing anything to eliminate poverty.

What’s your cheaper solution that works?

Mexicans are illegally flooding the country to do jobs that those on welfare won’t do. So there’s the first place to start. Here’s another approach:

http://profoundlydisconnected.com/

ARE YOU PROFOUNDLY DISCONNECTED®?

* A trillion dollars in student loans.
    * Record high unemployment.
    * Three million good jobs that no one seems to want.

The mikeroweWORKS Foundation started the Profoundly Disconnected® campaign to challenge the absurd belief that a four-year degree is the only path to success.

Since LBJ and the Great Society, we’ve let two generations of people conclude that the government owes them a living. So pouring more money into a black hole isn’t going to fix the problem. Education/training and personal responsibility are the only way to get out of the mess we’ve (or our parents) created.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

That is the reason the Electoral College works.

… and that’s the same reason that there have 700, I’m told, proposals in 240 years to get rid of the Electoral College.

Congress passed the Equal Rights Amendment in 1972 — I think that was the last attempt at a Constitutional Amendment.

To date and to my knowledge…. North Carolina still has not ratified the ERA.

Remember it takes 75% of the states — 38 or 39 states to ratify a Constitutional Amendment.

Point is… the Electoral College remains untouchable.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    SqlWolf
    Participant

I am astounded at the breadth of conversations in this thread. Commentary on politics started this thread. Some of us are pleased with some election outcomes while others are worried for our state and national future. We cover points of religion as to how christian or buddhist we may be (notwithstanding the possibility that jewish or muslim tenets of faith may also coincide with good faithful behavior in other faiths.) We tickle some folks on society’s and individual’s responsibility to each other. We then follow up on the vagaries of government regulation and enforcement. This is why I like lurking and reading the posts on this site. I have only one suggestion. Whether you believe in conservative or liberal principles or any other political leanings, I would hope you get familiar with the economic theory behind the “Tragedy of the Commons.” This is a real world problem that applies to many circumstances in which there are known or limited resources that are available to the public or a set of commensurate consumers. Garrett Hardin wrote a paper published in Science in 1968 and used an example of common grazing land with regard to a set of herd(s) animals by multiple owners who use the land in their own interest. His ultimate point was that if each individual acted in their own self interest, the collective use of the common grazing land would render that grazing resource unsustainable. Another good example is the overfishing of the Grand Banks off Newfoundland. Fishermen saw the resource as boundless and took as much cod as they could catch. Modernization of fishing techniques allowed greater harvesting yields and ultimately the fishermen were competing with each other to produce greater catches. This led to the collapse of the cod fish population and the demise of the fishing industry in the northeast.

I don’t profess to know the answers to all problems. I think collectively, we can make progress toward a better life for ourselves and our children as long as we have an eye on the big picture. My pet peeve with most political arguments (liberal or conservative) has been the short term view of our world and our resources. We have experienced the tragedy of the commons many times over and sometimes we take the lesson and make progress. I’ve come to the conclusion that most conservatives like my brother-in-law say short quips like “I just want a smaller government” and have nothing to say about how anything else can be resolved. Likewise, I have heard my liberal friends say that there isn’t enough protection for the public against corporate interests and “we need more regulations.” I try to see a bigger picture beyond those simplistic arguments. I know some of you have careers that interacted directly with both ends of the political spectrum. I have seen the world from a data perspective in healthcare, military, and corporate. It’s all a crapshoot when we don’t work together. I know our interests are best served when we agree to work from a perspective that sees the big picture. Otherwise we are doomed to fall into the trap of the tragedy of the commons and the “commons”==”earth.”

Adventuroo
    Participant

GaWolves,
    Also cool. My wife was a para-professional tax preparer for 35 years. She is a home econ Meredith Grad & was an A certificate teacher. My daughter is now 4th Gen NC Educator.

My point was that typically, the laws are generic, that is why reading a tax law might not translate exactly as it was worded. So allowing an agency head to bias the regs is discriminatory.

I do not think Congress has passed a law or a bill that actually had the “Regs” in it since the 90CAA. I read the Federal Register for at least 15 years on OSHA, DOT & Environmental. Submitted many comments.

NC’s DoL has made tremendous strides in fatality reduction, Accident Frequency Rates and Severity. With the higher Hispanic work force, that is particularly notable.

We are ranked high on being business friendly.

Should also point out that Mandy, the reporter that has written exposes on the NC DoL was the lead reporter in the recent Libel case against the N&O. The jury awarded damages that were for Her, specifically, as well as the N&O….both compensatory & Punitive.

So be careful of what you read and look at the Federal data.

An agency can vigorously enforce reasonable regulations and NOT be used as a political or harassment weapon.

You probably know the reason that there are no private pensions due to the regulatory burdens associated with ERISA. Read an article this AM bemoaning lack of private retirement savings. Laughed…at the logic, not the plight of some retirees..

Congress killed pensions. Now Jerry Brown wants MANDATORY personal pension plans to help the workers….

If Congress had not meddled, folks probably would still have them as a fringe benefit.

Dodd Frank’s was written by two folks that caused and/or benefited from the very policies that brought on the meltdown. Ironic that you name a law after the criminals that we should have indicted or been protected from.

MrPlywood
    Participant

It would appear that if you took out LA, NYC, New Orleans, Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, Portland HRC wouldn’t have come close, and certainly would have lost the popular vote by a landslide. That is the reason the Electorial College works.

That map is misleading in that it does not convey the difference in density very well. Here are a few maps that do a better job of illustrating county “size” as a function of population, not land mass.

http://www.businessinsider.com/2016-election-results-maps-population-adjusted-cartogram-2016-11/#heres-the-basic-electoral-college-map-with-states-that-hillary-clinton-won-in-blue-and-states-that-donald-trump-won-in-red-assuming-that-trumps-narrow-lead-in-michigan-continues-to-hold-1

Counties resized by population:

Counties resized by population

“Counties themselves aren’t uniformly blue or red. Looking at a color gradient using varying shades of purple, we can see that most counties had a tight split between Republican and Democratic voters, although a few islands of deep red and blue still remain.”

Color gradient map

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

man… somebody been tripping on dose maps!
    ——————–
    Sql…

If everybody in America talked to each other about important matters in the same ways most of us have been “talking” here…

America would be OK!

of course, on SFN during the fourth quarter of ballgames and the immediate postgame wailing and gnashing of teeth… everybody understands that does not count.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Mexicans are illegally flooding the country to do jobs that those on welfare won’t do. So there’s the first place to start.

What percentage of the working age, able-bodied population is on welfare?

pakfanistan
    Participant

Followup question, who pays for childcare while a single mother moves across the country working as migrant labor picking cucumbers and whatnot?

SqlWolf
    Participant

Mexicans are illegally flooding the country to do jobs that those on welfare won’t do. So there’s the first place to start.

What percentage of the working age, able-bodied population is on welfare?

VAWolf82, I don’t know who on welfare is willing (or able) to do the backbreaking work that migrant workers do for our economy. Many of these folks live a migrant life following the crops from region to region and season to season. If they do not do this, and work at the wages they currently accept, our farmers would be forced to hire more expensive labor or invest in expensive automated machinery. I honestly do not know where our farmers will find willing farm hands to do this work. I doubt they can go into the SocSec office to hire folks in line who have the physical abilities and skills to do this work. Ultimately, the cost is borne by us the consumers in higher prices at the market. Another argument some folks make is to raise the minimum wage for jobs like these. That might get able-bodied workers interested in these jobs. Perhaps it will but there is the same outcome to consider in that our expenses at the grocery store will go up and other economic consequences that I cannot imagine may arise. Ultimately, even if we seal our borders, we need help in the fields, cheap labor in the back of our restaurants, cheap labor in the loading bays and warehouses. It’s not complicated mental work but I believe we have fewer citizens willing to do that work because we’ve trained ourselves to see it as beneath us.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

We are a Nation of immigrants.

Any Man who packs everything he can carry on his back,
    leaves behind everything he knows
    — sleeps for six weeks in the stanky hull of a wood ship
    or swims the river,
    or walks 40 days thru the desert and wilderness —
    moves 3000 miles to start a new life for himself,
    finds any kind of work,
    trys to learn a new language,
    ignores his crying, homesick wife and kids,
    sends some or most of his paycheck back ‘home’
    and finds his strength in his God ….

That Man is a Man with Character.
    That’s not the same as ‘Perfect’ —
    No Man is perfect.

This “immigrant spirit” is what started, what built and what has sustained this country for over 400 years.

Unfortunately, with subsequent generations, this “immigrant spirit” gets watered down…. all the way to the point where some people forget that their people were immigrants.

These days… America needs more immigrants, and more of this immigrant spirit, not less…. if for no other reason than to remind the 5th or 10th generation immigrants of who we are, where we came from and what we’ve lost.

==========================

Yes… I have been pleased with the opportunity for almost 25yrs to work with 1st generation immigrants from a dozen different countries or ethnic groups.

Most of the folks I know on welfare simply can not do the jobs the immigrants do… but not for the reasons commonly given.

It appears, that North Carolina successfully avoided electing a Governor yesterday, although Mr. Cooper’s lead increased.

I’m not aware of any successful challenge to any votes at the County level yesterday…. I am reading reports of very trivial questions which some Republicans are trying to blow up into Constitutional issues.

WOLFPACK FOOTBALL TODAY!

MBBall looked good last next…
    BJ surprised — let’s see if he can do that three games in four days…
    Markel Johnson — wow!
    ABU — getting in form…

Coach needs a shave and a haircut.

tractor57
    Participant

I think the questions should be resolved but I doubt the R’s can pull this one out. Not sure I would piss on either to put out the fire.

YogiNC
    Participant

Mr. Ply, while that map I put up doesn’t convey the density the vote count from those cities does. I looked also at actual vote counts from those cities and the immediate suburbs around them. Take away those metropolitan areas and Trump would have had a landslide. My point being 6 major cities should not drive the outcome of a national election. That is why the Electorial College was installed in the first place. In colonial times they wanted to make sure Philly, NY, Boston, and Charleston did not elect the president.

Smarter than the average bear

YogiNC
    Participant

BOTB, from my namesake Teddy Roosevelt

We should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become anAmerican and assimilates himself to us he shall be treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birth-place or origin.

But this is predicated upon the man’s becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American. If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn’t doing his part as an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. . . We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people.

The problem as I see it and most of those who are opposed to illegal immigration, sanctuary cities, and grandfathering in those already here would agree with me that is is what we require to become an American.

McCallum
    Participant

“We are a nation of immigrants”

Pure and unadulterated rubbish.

If you buy this non-sense then everyone, everywhere except east Africa is an “immigrant”. The above mentioned notion is the same propaganda stuck at the base of the Statue of Liberty thus turning it from a symbol of “liberty” to one of endless, faceless immigration.

But the above slogan, a nation of immigrants, is largely contradictory to left wing sentiments. Race and cultural attachments are seen as bad for whites yet the above slogan links every person to their place of origin and ancestory. So it asks that Europeans, and there has been a history of just who qualified as “white”, disavow their traditional loyalty while at the same time arming new immigrants with a steadfast loyalty to their group. The winner in this contest is the state (federal) because it determines who is a citizen instead of the people in the communities which organized the states which gave basis for the federal government through THEIR respective ratifications of the constitution.

This is cultural Marxism at its finest. Further, any study of Boasian anthropology would tell you precisely where this drive to discredit the traditional and rooted culture arises.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^says the proud 6-7-8th generation Scott…

Europeans have rarely, if ever, referred to themselves as “White”, but instead by their nationality or ethnic …
    “White” is a Jacksonian/American concept originating somewhere around 1820 in the US…

Americans might be the only folks who refer to some Europeans as “white”.

Fwiw… There are other “indigenous” peoples living in Australia and the South Pacific, Eastern Europe and Northern Asia… not just in East Africa. That “Out of Africa” thing doesn’t tell the whole story of primordial man.

Perhaps my point was missed… It’s about Character, not Anthropology.

Let’s get another cup of coffee….

YogiNC
    Participant

McC, it’s not exactly known what the origins of the American Indians were so it would seem that anyone here in the Americas that are not of American Indian decent would be an immigrant of one degree or another.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

My understanding is…

The ancestors of the people we call American Indians for the most part migrated from Northern Asia across the then present Bering Sea land bridge and then across North and South America. There were perhaps other smaller ‘migrations’ from the South Pacific and Africa to South America and from Northern Europe to Newfoundland. All of these migrations occurred in the BCE era at least a thousand or so years before Columbus or earlier.

Whether there were people living in North America before these migrations is unknown to us as little, if any, evidence exists that would suggest this.

None of this suggests that there are not unanswered questions for there are many.

Of course over time, all of these people, known and unknown, intermingled and did all the things that people do.

They moved around, lived their lives, made babies and died.

McCallum
    Participant

If you are a person of science then you realize there are no indigenous people.

Everyone came from somewhere thus native peoples here are the same as everyone else.

bill,

I would not use the word proud. Multiple segments were sold into indentured servitude following the 2nd Jacobite Rebellion, were placed on plantations in Maryland and Virginia then moved south to be with like peoples. My values are the values of my culture which is a culture that was not encouraged nor discouraged by the central government. The people that shaped North Carolina, hacked it out of the wilderness, formed it up, civilized it and advanced it were largely left to their devices. That is not the case since the Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1965 which the federal government has used to make itself the master of untold millions.

A culture that is self reliant, has cohesive family structure, and finds its value outside of civil rights edicts is a culture and a people which can stand alone. The federal government is not interested in a self reliant people of any sort, it needs servants willing to do its bidding and be its canon fodder.

Your point is not missed. I’m simply telling you that the multicultural notions of fiction like Coming of Age in Samoa are vehicles for cultural relativism which in the end provide the narrative needed by the central state. Character and the formation of character are culture based.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

McCallum…

In my book…. “proud” and “pride” are a good words, not a “bad” ones… which are not to be confused with arrogance or hardheadedness. But if you want that back… I’ll concede.

I think when you say

“The people that shaped North Carolina, hacked it out of the wilderness, formed it up, civilized it and advanced it were largely left to their devices.”

“A culture that is self reliant, has cohesive family structure, and finds its value outside of civil rights edicts is a culture and a people which can stand alone.”

and when I say “The Immigrant Spirit”, we’re really talking about exactly the same thing.

Government can not, regardless of it’s efforts, replace a strong Man’s heart. Government can destroy it, however.

———————–

There are two opposite views with very little middle ground.
    Either the strength and vibrancy of any culture lies in “purity” or its “diversity”.

In the United States, some would suggest that question was settled long ago….
    or was it?

Regardless of the outcome of that debate… the fact is we, in the United States, are and always have been a “diverse people”…. with one thing in common — This Immigrant Spirit.

Bless be the Tie that Binds.

tractor57
    Participant

I for one value diversity highly – from sauerkraut to burritos. The blend of cultures is fantastic – but that does require some blending. I’m not anti immigrant but I am in favor of an orderly process. Problem is the whole immigration system is broken – including the time required to “legally” immigrate and the bums rush at the southern border. It keeps being an issue because the politicians need a wedge issue to divide us so they can keep power. Most of this is purely political spin. Some is real. The hard part is finding what is what.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^T57… All true…

The people that shaped North Carolina, hacked it out of the wilderness, formed it up, civilized it and advanced it were largely left to their devices.

A culture that is self reliant, has cohesive family structure, and finds its value outside of civil rights edicts is a culture and a people which can stand alone.

Is this not exactly what one finds today, if one looks closely, in the Hispanic, Korean and Vietnamese and other communities among us?

Starting where T57 left off… the additional problem, methinks, is ain’t enough people looking in the right places and getting to know each other… instead they choose to sit in their castles, behind their moats and accept at face value what they are being told as fact….
    ———————
    So what’s it gonna be…

“Get off my yard!”

or

“Welcome the stranger/foreigner/traveler into your home.”

McCallum
    Participant

Is this not exactly what one finds today, if one looks closely, in the Hispanic, Korean and Vietnamese and other communities among us?

Their cultures and ability to form civil governments failed in near total. I remind you they moved to a 1st world country, European in culture and origin, not to some undeveloped wilderness.

They have their ethnic identities which I support just as I suppport ethnic identity for any group. It is a reflection of a healthy sense of group and culture. They stick together because they must, whites in the US (regional identity aside) have been educated to believe it is racist to support your community.

Burritos and sauerkraut are not reflections of diversity when mass consumed. They are only treasured by a culture based on consumption and cultures of consumption are non cultures.(see modern US culture, zero value)

McCallum

rthomas44
    Participant

Racism by any other name is still not going to go over well. All waves of immigrants have eventually melted into the masses and this is how we have progressed. You are sounding like Steve Bannon.

tractor57
    Participant

Going back to my days as a kid – here there were no hispanics, few blacks (or whatever they are called today). Historically no slavery although we know that happened. In fact the school district lines were changed when I was in 5th grade to include a couple black families. Then I graduated HS and went to our beloved university. Second year I was called by someone in residence life about having a black roommate – asked if that was an issue. My answer was no and he was a super guy. Played the sax and last I heard was a lifer in the Air Force.

Moving forward a bit I worked in an SC mill town after graduation. Found many HS grads there could not read – race didn’t matter they simply were not taught properly. Still good, honest people but not prepared for what was coming.

Later I worked in the Kannapolis mills that at that time was owned by Pillowtex. A lot lot the same issues.

I was always taught to take the measure of the man (or woman). I have found many hispanics that meet the test. I have also found the immigration system is broken.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 511 total)
  • The topic ‘NC Political Predictions’ is closed to new replies.