Wolfpack Wrestling Looks to Pin the Blue Devils … LIVE BLOG FOR WRESTLING.

Home Forums StateFans Baseball & Other Sports Wolfpack Wrestling Looks to Pin the Blue Devils … LIVE BLOG FOR WRESTLING.

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    MrPlywood
    Participant

FYI to anyone GoPack.com has 4 more wrestling events listed: Virginia, the Holes, VaTech, and Missouri.

Jan 17 – VA – http://www.gopack.com/watch/?Live=160
    Jan 25 – Cheatin Holes – http://www.gopack.com/watch/?Live=161
    Feb 12 – VTech – http://www.gopack.com/watch/?Live=162
    Feb 14 – Mizz – http://www.gopack.com/watch/?Live=163

SaccoV
    Participant

Thanks Mr. P. Going to work up a preview for the Virginia match-up sometime next week. Thanks for following guys.

coyotejoe
    Participant

SaccoV, thanks for this thread. I never wrestled, but my son started last year in the eighth grade…watched him get his first pin in a live match Tuesday night. I hope to get him up to Raleigh on the 17th to watch Gwiz…my son is awed by that dude! (and his old man is too!) Thanks again for the great coverage!

SaccoV
    Participant

Thanks CoyoteJoe. I have yet to witness the GWiz in person myself. I’m looking forward to a trip to the ACC Tournament this year in Charlottesville, but since my family and I are setting roots down in GA now, I might have to just enjoy through the computer screen. But we’ll see. Good luck to your son for the rest of this season. What weight class is he wrestling?

Pack78
    Participant

Sacco-love the grappler updates-wrestled four years in HS and regularly went to matches in Reynolds during my student days…

coyotejoe
    Participant

My son is wrestling 152 right now.

SaccoV
    Participant

That was my weight class when I started wrestling, CoyoteJoe. Unfortunately, after actually running and lifting weights and wrestling, I was really about 138 pounds! Wrestling matches at 160 was a lost cause for me (of course, I was 14 and 6’2″). But I still loved the sport despite my incompetence. I love coaching it just as much because there is no quick fix. It takes effort and work. What is so impressive about Gwiz (though he’s an Olympic caliber wrestler), and you’ll hear this from other coaches, is that he is the most coachable wrestler they know. Even though he’s won two consecutive NCAA titles, he’s always willing to listen and he always willing to work hard to be better. Although Caldwell’s attitude on the mat could be off-putting, Carter Jordan said the same about Darrion. No one out-worked that kid in the wrestling room. Sorry to drone on.

coyotejoe
    Participant

Hey SaccoV. It is uncanny how similar my son is to your time in wrestling. He is over 6′ tall at 14, and struggling with the sport, but he loves it. Last year he was 170, but after a season at high school he is now in the 150 range. He is lean and loving it! It is amazing what this sport has done for his confidence. He has great coaches, and he listens to every word they say. If he never wins another match, he has definitely grown as an individual. I am amazed at the effort it takes to excel at this sport…football at NC State could learn a lot from this level of dedication.

MrPlywood
    Participant

What are you guys eating? In Grade 9 I wrestled 80lbs. I finished at 108 as a senior. Two weeks after that season I weighed about 135. Making up for lost time. (I go about 150 now.) When I wrestled we had to qualify for a weight class for the year end tournaments, so if you planned to drop you had to make that weight at the last dual meet. I wasn’t trying, but when I stepped on the scale at the dual I weighed 101, the lowest class. I looked at my coach and asked him to let me wrestle 101. He said no – he didn’t think I could maintain that (probably right), and we had a good kid at that weight.

That was almost 40 years ago (good lord) and I’m still in touch with the guys. 8 of us were together from Grade 9 and we won State as seniors. Most of us got together a few years ago and you could almost detect the Eau de WrestlingRoom.

Glory Days 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.