Weekend Baseball: Terrapins SWEEP Wolfpack

Home Forums StateFans Baseball & Other Sports Weekend Baseball: Terrapins SWEEP Wolfpack

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

I made the mistake of not preparing this week’s baseball preview early, thus I am putting this together after what might have been the most gut wrench[See the full post at: Weekend Baseball: Saying BuhBye to the Terps…AGAIN]

maverick_ncsu
    Participant

I know it had to be difficult to make yourself pull this together after last night’s giveaway, but I and so many others appreciate your work. Baseball will always be my first love and I love getting to read your takes on our team.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

the most gut wrenching loss in NCSU Basketball history

Two words…Dudley Bradley

I’m in a bad mood, so I’m not really in the mood to talk the Pack up a whole lot this week,

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. For Jo Dee Messina fans, last weekend State proved that they were below the upper. Not it’s time to see if they’re above the below.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

oops, wrong thread again

Wufpacker
    Participant

the most gut wrenching loss in NCSU Basketball history

Two words…Dudley Bradley

LOL….In my defense, I did say “maybe” the most gut wrenching.
    Would that there weren’t so many from which to choose.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Ahem…

Maryland 10
    NC State 0

Rodon (L, 2-4): 4.2 IP, 8Ks, 4BBs, 2HBP, 2WP, 8 runs, O earned runs

elvislives
    Participant

Four Wolfpack errors in the first five innings allowed eight unearned runs.

Maybe Carlos is just trying to avoid playing for the Houston Astros. That’s the only explanation I can come up with regarding his stat lines thus far. I know that he struggled with control early last year (several batters being HBP on 0-2 counts come to mind) and had a few games where his walks forced him into high pitch counts and early hooks, but his start to this season has been the slowest in terms of unleashing dominance in the past 3 years.

Has anyone that has been watching the games noticed anything different in his mechanics? Is it just quirky defense and low run support that is dogging him like last year?

Wufpacker
    Participant

Wasn’t able to see today’s game, but in his outings I have seen I haven’t noticed anything in his mechanics per se. He has been pressing at times though, overthrowing some, and hasn’t gotten his normal control in gear (especially with the slider).

Lack of run support has been a big issue though IMHO, leading to much of the above as he tries to nibble around the zone and is missing, where he wouldn’t miss in years past, at least not when he got to mid-season form.

elvislives
    Participant

Having the Maryland pitcher strike out 14 batters doesn’t help either. Looks like that kid pitched the game of his life.

Plenty of time for Carlos and the rest of the Pack to get into form. And still plenty of time for a weekend series win if they can pull it together tomorrow. The weather is supposed to be in the mid 60’s and sunny up here in Maryland tomorrow, maybe the boys will be able to take off the hats for bats (keep bats warm, gracias) and put up a few crooked numbers on the scoreboard.

But let’s hope they start the turnaround by remembering how to play defense. 4 errors ain’t gonna win many games.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Yeah, Stinnett is no slouch to be sure, but 14Ks is just ridiculous.

And definitely too early to panic just yet, but dammit how I hate losing to UMd in anything, LOLOLOL.

Maybe I’ll head out to the liquor store to get some rum to offer Jobu. 😀

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Do you hotstove gurus give any accommodation to games when the temperature was under 60 degrees ??

I’ve been to three HS girls lacrosse games this week — all of which started at 5:30pm —
    two of which were played after rain most of the day…
    and froze my old A$$ off just sitting in the stands…
    It was colder down here than the shady side of Carter Stadium in late November.

I’m thinking that once the game time temps stay above 70 …
    … the juices may start flowing and the numbers for pitchers and hitters move up to expectations….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wufpacker
    Participant

While hard to quantify, I do believe the ‘chilly factor’ has merit bill. Especially for a pitcher like Rodon.

Harder to stay loose between innings, location suffers.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… did I hear that in the Bigs…. starting pitchers are limited in starts and innings for the whole month of April and hitters aren’t really expected to start swinging good until May in the Northern cities ??

… iirc … Cary is a “Northern City” isn’t it ??

Wufpacker
    Participant

… iirc … Cary is a “Northern City” isn’t it ??

LOL.

These days it’s more often the pitch count that’s watched, and that might vary depending on the individual (pitching style, age, etc). But yeah, generally speaking, early in the season that count is likely to be shorter.

elvislives
    Participant

Re: temps above 60

So that’s what’s been wrong with the Minnesota Twins since they moved their ballpark outdoors ! Trying to play baseball in the peak of ice fishing season.

I do believe that weather impacts the game. From loosening up, to gripping the ball to the sting of hitting one off the handle. Fouling one off your ankle hurts like a monkey in any weather.

Let’s put the +60 degree temptature theory to test today and see if we can prove our hunch. Hunches are like scientific research papers in baseball.

4in12
    Participant

I was at the game. We left after six innings because my wife got cold. Sounds like we didn’t miss much. Our neighbor plays for UMd. He scored a couple of times. For me, that was about the most exciting thing all night.

Rodon was throwing hard but lacked control. I said to my wife at the game, I think he likes the hot weather.

The overall impression I got was that Maryland wanted that game and State would have been happy to not be there. The Pack just seemed to not have their hearts in it. I REALLY hope I’m wrong but that’s what it felt like to me.

TheCOWDOG

Can’t comment, though of course I’d like to, but I’ve been busy freezing my ass off watching softball

However, I cannot remember playing an opening month in consistantly colder weather… Anywhere, including HS in WNY.

The Dogwoods are blossoming so like Spring springing, Rodon’s slider should slide where he wants it to.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… Mr. Dog… back in the day!…

Mr. Dog’s new team….

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

More ColdBall pics…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… damn SFN / WordPress loves baseball pics… sorry

[Wufpacker] – No problem bill…nothing the press of a button can’t fix. 🙂

Wufpacker
    Participant

Terps drop the Pack again today, 7-4.

redcanine
    Participant

Derp.

elvislives
    Participant

Pack drops the finale 5-2 to get swept by the Twerps. Woof.

GAWolf
    Keymaster

Brutal. Any idea when the last time we got swept back-to-back in the conference?

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yikes. That is awful.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.