Way too early football prediction thread

Home Forums StateFans Football Way too early football prediction thread

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Nothing hyperbolic about it as far as I’m concerned. They had a good defense last year that I predict will be even better this year now the Chiz is in his 2nd year and their D returns 7 starters and will be made up almost entirely of juniors and seniors. Obviously I hope their D is as porous as pouring water through a visor, but that’s just not a realistic expectation.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

One of my go-to sites is cfbstats.com because they let you look at conference rankings based on performance only in conference games. With the gi-normous conferences, that slice of the stats is not as good as it used to be…but still far better than including OOC games which have a great range between weakest/hardest. So to add some objectivity to the UNC discussion:

2015 ACC Rankings using only ACC games:
    UNC Scoring offense – #1
    UNC Total offense – #2

UNC Scoring defense – #7
    UNC Total defense – #12

When you see a big difference between scoring offense/defense and total offense/defense rankings, turnovers usually make up the difference. UNC was #1 in TO margin which probably explains the difference in their defensive rankings.

http://www.cfbstats.com/

Greywolf
    Participant

Just curious, how did that fantastic defense do against Baylor without a quarterback? And how did they do against FSU and L’ville? Oh, that’s right. They don’t have to play those teams.

SaccoV
    Participant

They had a good defense last year? In total defense they were 13th last season, 14th in rushing defense (247 yds/gm on the ground). Will they be better? Yes. But it’s hard to be as terrible as they were for three seasons in a row. And Troll, other than games like The Citadel, UN* isn’t winning any games this year on defense alone.

Greywolf
    Participant

UNC Scoring defense – #7
    UNC Total defense – #12

This can’t be right. Troll said they were 4th in the ACC. And the Troll knows the Holes.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Good stuff, VA. Thx for that site. Agree completely that non-conf. needs to be thrown out when talking about stats.

So the total defense ranking of #12 is based on yards per game. Again that doesn’t tell you much when their offense is so proficient. Best way I can see to “adjust” for that is to look at yards per play in which they’re #6 as they defended against most plays of any ACC team.

So maybe their D was about average last year all things considered last season, but the Chiz absolutely turned that D around significantly from 2014. No reason not to expect another jump forward in only his 2nd year.

2014 -> 2015 jumps
    ==================
    yds/play from #14 to #6
    scoring defense from #14 to #7

Sorry, but all signs point to them having an even better defense this year coming off an 11-2 season.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

This can’t be right. Troll said they were 4th in the ACC. And the Troll knows the Holes.

You can’t troll the troll! Their #4 ranking would be BEFORE removing non-conference games.

Sorry I don’t fit the mold for your vision of the perfect NC State fan: I’m a terrible fan who has the audacity to go and compare our team to the rest of the conference landscape and our rivals. Maybe you should go setup a GoFundMe page for Dave Doeren so he doesn’t jump ship to the SEC after this amazing season we’re about to have.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Just please, nobody “Troll the Hole”, as it were. 😉

And Grey, seriously….my 2nd comment was not aimed at you (or anyone else in particular, fwiw).

We’re good, brother.

Pack1997
    Participant

I don’t think the Heels are going to do as well this year. They will still be good, but I see Pitt and Miami giving them a lot of problems. I think Richt is going to absolutely do wonders with the talent in Miami.

Gowolves
    Participant

Prediction.. 5-7 or 6-6. This talk of two quarterbacks rotating scares the hell out of me. You know the saying.

As for UN*, I just don’t think Mitch T. has the balls to be the #1 guy for the entire season. Teams will load the box on them and we will see if he has it.

Greywolf
    Participant

What team with a new OC and a new starting QB can expect to be a big winner? The holes of course. They have a new OC and new starting QB are picked by some on this board to be better than last year. But by some obscure logic the Pack is suspect with All American TE JaySam and a fleet of very good RBs back healthy. Our O-line is suspect with the addition of SR center Scelfo and new line coach who worked miracles at App State. Just saying… 😉

Mike
    Participant

Prediction.. 5-7 or 6-6. This talk of two quarterbacks rotating scares the hell out of me. You know the saying.

As for UN*, I just don’t think Mitch T. has the balls to be the #1 guy for the entire season. Teams will load the box on them and we will see if he has it.

I hate to say it but I think Mitch is better than Marquise and I fear him more. Kid can throw the ball really well and teams will not be able to stack the box.

Enough of them- this will be a tough year and while we have great backs, especially with the addition of Frasier, I am still concerned about a young O-line. Some have experience but one key to O-line play is cohesiveness and playing together. Cach Ledford is very good but cant expect miracles overnight. I dont care how good your RB’s are, if the blockers are not there Adrian Peterson, Gale Sayers, and Barry Sanders would struggle.

ryebread
    Participant

Must win is about consequences, not preparation.

Exactly. Going back to my original point, coaches at NC State do not make it if they have a losing season while losing to ECU and UNC. They can survive it very early in their tenure, but they don’t survive it if done twice. DD has used up his mulligan.

Given the difficulty of the schedule, we’re on a razor thin line on having a winning season. Most predicting a winning season are predicting a win against ECU. In contrast though, lose to ECU and it’s going to be tough to have a winning season. If we can’t beat ECU, we’re probably not winning many swing games.

I personally think UNC is a big unknown. They could regress to the norm, or they could have another year where they build some momentum and come down to our game feeling highly confident. Either way though, I think we don’t need any more pressure involved in our game with UNC than we already put on ourselves when we play them. Typically UNC is fairly loose when they play us and are playing fast.

Imagine the scenario where we’ve lost to ECU, and are staring a losing season in the face going into Chapel Hill. The wolves will be howling. There will be blood in the water. The local media will have the heat turned up. Think the players are going to be loose in that scenario? I don’t. I think that’s a recipe for whipping.

End the season with a whipping against UNC, having lost to ECU and with a losing record and I personally think DD is done. I don’t think even Yow and the administration’s aversion to being proactive can save him. Maybe he’d get one more year, but his seat would be so hot that he’d not really have a reasonable expectation of success.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

What team with a new OC and a new starting QB can expect to be a big winner? The holes of course. They have a new OC and new starting QB are picked by some on this board to be better than last year. But by some obscure logic the Pack is suspect with All American TE JaySam and a fleet of very good RBs back healthy. Our O-line is suspect with the addition of SR center Scelfo and new line coach who worked miracles at App State. Just saying… ?

Not to get too far into this slap fight but:

I find it incredibly concerning that Jalan didnt play much at all last year (pretty telling actually), hasnt outright won the job and made this his team. Something is really really off in regards to our QB’s. DD’s own words was this is an easier offense to learn. And the comment about Meyers playing another position is a big “WTF”.

The presser he gave the other day was also eye brow raising as they were bragging about the offense and how good it was the past 2 years without even acknowledging the elephant in the room.

As far as predictions I think its going to be a struggle to hit the 6 win mark. We do have a few great opportunities to steal a game or two.

Greywolf
    Participant

The presser he gave the other day was also eye brow raising as they were bragging about the offense and how good it was the past 2 years without even acknowledging the elephant in the room.

I don’t think I would base a lot on pressers.

TheCOWDOG

“I don’t think I would base a lot on pressers.”

Holtz rule #1 to us:
    ” Don’t believe a shingle shing I shay to the pressh!”

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

knock it off, CD, you and coach are getting spittle all over my computer screen

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

pat myself on the back after this loathsome day..

2 for 2 in my predicition, bonus for my correct commentary prediction: “our fans will gather in masses on the oft used ledge”

Should be 3 for 3, if I miss the next one though the seat will be on fire.

john of sparta
    Participant

undefeated on your predictions.
    way too early and way too right.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

bumping to pat myself on the back.. perfect thru 5. Must say my commentary was pretty close too!

W – William & Mary
    L – @ECU (our fans will gather in masses on the oft used ledge)
    W – Old Dominion
    W – Wake Forest
    W – Notre Dame (we finally get the elusive, HUGE win under Dave that boosts our egos and soars our hopes and dreams… delusions of grandeur.. threads created warning of SEC teams planning to poach our beloved Dave Doeren.. but then we proceed to “NC State” the rest of the season)
    L – @Clemson
    L – @Louisville
    L – Boston College (bitching, whining, moaning vs Dave Doeren for life argument really gets going on the msg boards)
    L – Florida State
    W (maybe???) – @Syracuse
    L – Miami
    L – @UNC (all our fans come to nearly unanimous realization Dave is in over his head [any dissenters will be filed under the “unicorn’s sh!t rainbows” moniker])

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

ALL HAIL THE TROLL!!! You a gambling man?

Seriously though, I expected us to be 4-1 as well. I think we lose our next two but then I see us winning two out of the next three (watch us beat BC and FSU and lose to Q’s…) I still think we finish 7-5, God willing.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

flawless thru 6

McCallum
    Participant

Da man!

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Troll…

Absolutely nothing personal.. but I hope you suck it big the rest of the season….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Still flawless.. 7-0. If 8-0 after next week you folks start lining up single file to board the fire DD bandwagon.

W – William & Mary
    L – @ECU (our fans will gather in masses on the oft used ledge)
    W – Old Dominion
    W – Wake Forest
    W – Notre Dame (we finally get the elusive, HUGE win under Dave that boosts our egos and soars our hopes and dreams… delusions of grandeur.. threads created warning of SEC teams planning to poach our beloved Dave Doeren.. but then we proceed to “NC State” the rest of the season)
    L – @Clemson
    L – @Louisville
    L – Boston College (bitching, whining, moaning vs Dave Doeren for life argument really gets going on the msg boards)
    L – Florida State
    W (maybe???) – @Syracuse
    L – Miami
    L – @UNC (all our fans come to nearly unanimous realization Dave is in over his head [any dissenters will be filed under the “unicorn’s sh!t rainbows” moniker])

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.