Way too early football prediction thread

Home Forums StateFans Football Way too early football prediction thread

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

hould we win at L’ville, I’d say we have a good chance to go 9-3. Lose at L’ville and we could be as bad as 6-6 and likely 7-5.

If we lose at ECU on 9/10, then this year will be one to forget.

Greywolf
    Participant

hould we win at L’ville, I’d say we have a good chance to go 9-3. Lose at L’ville and we could be as bad as 6-6 and likely 7-5.

If we lose at ECU on 9/10, then this year will be one to forget.

If we lose at ECU, my confidence in the Pack is going to take a serious hit. No reason we lose there.

jrcox4
    Participant

While I’d like to think that we can pull 6-6 out of the hat, I get called caught up on who we play September 24th…no one. I don’t like having the bye week well before the meat of our schedule (ND, @Clemson, and @Louisville in a row well before FSU comes to town and the BC trap game in betwenn). To me that means we’ll run out of gas, and the best case scenario is we go to Kenan needing a win to go bowling and need to put up a good fight. Of course, I can just as easily see us going to to Kenan with 4 wins and rolling over too. It’s safe to say Doeren (and by extension DY) has sufficiently lowered my expectations and I’ll be “happy” with 6 wins, and will dutifully renew my season tickets. At least the tailgates will be fun.

Rick
    Keymaster

It’s safe to say Doeren (and by extension DY) has sufficiently lowered my expectations and I’ll be “happy” with 6 wins,

That seems to be what the athletic department wants. Go to a bowl, make the tournament and celebrate. Everyone gets a trophy.

SaccoV
    Participant

Rick, your optimism knows no bounds.

gso packbacker
    Participant

Call it faith or stupidity, but I’m going all in at Greenville. It’s a must-win game (in my mind), so I’ve got my tickets and a plan for a monster tailgate.

Worst case, I’m forced to listen to crap from all of those ECU fans, but at least I’ll have plenty of inventory to help ease the pain if it ends up that way.

Greywolf
    Participant

I remember some of the over optimistic predictions from the “experts” last year. I will wait and see what happens.
    Hopefully one of the QBs combined with the new OC will blossom.

In all fairness Rick, those optimistic predictions were before we lost our number one RB then our #2 and #3. Imagine what EweNC would have looked like without Hood and then losing Logan then their #3 RB, whoever that is. I don’t think they would have been 11-2 and I especially don’t think they would have had the huge 1st qtr against us.

A lot is being said about several positions being unknown. That’s better than in the past when too many positions were known — like Mitchell and Thomas. I still sometimes wonder if we would have been better off going with Josh Taylor. He wasn’t big and tall like the other 2 guys but he was a winner. Kinda like RW.

Texpack
    Participant

ECU game will be how the season is remembered. Record will be 6-6

At least I have the Coogs to be delusional about.

Rick
    Keymaster

I did not realize we are predicting what would happen if every school but ours has injuries. My bad.

Greywolf
    Participant

I did not realize we are predicting what would happen if every school but ours has injuries. My bad.

Take a look at what has happened to SFN on your watch, Rick, as a Keymaster insulting members and the athletic department.

That seems to be what the athletic department wants. Go to a bowl, make the tournament and celebrate. Everyone gets a trophy.

Jed’s not here anymore so you can lay off of the AD.

ryebread
    Participant

I think the staff needs to view ECU as a must win game. I looked back at our history over the past 40 years and a head football coach at NC State rarely makes it past a season where they:
    – Lose to ECU
    – Lose to UNC
    – Have a losing record
    They can survive two of the three. They won’t survive doing all three. Losing to ECU would almost virtually ensure that a losing record will happen. That means the season would hinge on going into UNC and needing a win and I just don’t like the odds in that scenario.

Fortunately, I think we will beat ECU so it will not be an issue. At least that’s what I’m hoping happens. 🙂 In my 6-6 prediction, I’ve got ECU down as a W.

Greywolf
    Participant

I think the staff needs to view ECU as a must win game.

I see this kind of statement a lot and I always wonder, what would the staff do differently to prepare for a must win game? Or maybe take a few days off before games that are not tagged must-win.

As a rank amateur I tried to prepare for every game the same way.

TheCOWDOG

There is no such thing as a must win game. Rye knows that. Every game is a must win game. It’s merely an expression convoluted by radio and TV.

…Unless a club is playing (not)for draft position, or, meaningless conference championships. That’s a different conversation.

choppack1
    Participant

I don’t think the staff will take ecu lightly. There is no evidence to suggest that they would.

I am hoping for a special year, which is 5-3 in conference. A 4_4 in conference year is a solid and would be satisfactory. A 3-5, well, it would depend on circumstances and ooc.

YogiNC
    Participant

Personally I’m going with 13-0 or 0-12 or somewhere in between. That way my prediction is absolutely correct and no one can dispute it. To the point, predictions don’t mean crap. Play the games, pull for the red and white, tell UNX they should be on triple secret probation and shouldn’t even be allowed to field a team, and hope for a Christmas miracle that we beat Clemson, FSU and ND. LOL, this thread could have been interjected into the movie Inside Out and it would have fit perfectly, but then only State fans would have been able to appreciate it. Lewis Black could play the part of Rick.

Smarter than the average bear

Texpack
    Participant

I think the staff needs to view ECU as a must win game.

I see this kind of statement a lot and I always wonder, what would the staff do differently to prepare for a must win game? Or maybe take a few days off before games that are not tagged must-win.

As a rank amateur I tried to prepare for every game the same way.

Must win is about consequences, not preparation. I never thought another coach could get our program any closer to being luke warm than TOB did.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Just want to drop a bit of realism to those thinking the UNC game is going to be some kind of a toss up.. they are going to be good as hell this year. It’s likely they beat DD’s ass right out the door. Painful but the truth. An 11-2 team returning a boat load of starters from last year with a defense that should be more improved and experienced under a fantastic yet shady D-coord, the Chiz, in his 2nd year.

Might as well go ahead and stock up on Kleenex and Prozac for that dreadful afternoon.

The Hat certainly understands the rivalry.. DD I don’t think grasps it. Definitely doesn’t give it the same treatment as the last coach. Just trying to keep it real, yall!

Wufpacker
    Participant

Any bowl that drains you of your self-respect says more about your personal problems than the bowl or team. Bowls, any bowl, are an opportunity for an additional 20 practices. Looking at it as a drain on ones self-respect is just egotistical foolishness.

FYI we are undefeated at this point.

Most of my post was intended to be taken tongue in cheek Grey. But yes, I do think we’re .500 at best. I’ll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Wufpacker
    Participant

And I’m starting to remember why I never come here anymore. (no Grey…that’s not pointed at you…just the mood here)

Greywolf
    Participant

Most of my post was intended to be taken tongue in cheek Grey. But yes, I do think we’re .500 at best. I’ll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

I can see how 6-6 would be a realistic expectation. Someone else on another board said that 6-6 is the base. Are we more likely to upset one of the teams above us or are we more likely to be upset by a team below us.

And I’m starting to remember why I never come here anymore. (no Grey…that’s not pointed at you…just the mood here)

I’m expect there are some here who do get upset with me. I rarely let snarky comments that put the Pack down go unchallenged. I value loyalty and give it without reservation.

I haven’t been around here much lately myself and I’ve always enjoyed the give and take with you, Wuf.

Greywolf
    Participant

An 11-2 team returning a boat load of starters from last year with a defense that should be more improved and experienced under a fantastic yet shady D-coord, the Chiz, in his 2nd year.

That fantastic coach while improving his defense, had one of the worst defenses in the Coastal Div. last year. Missing our top 2 RB’s we hung about 38 points on the holes.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I rarely let snarky comments that put the Pack down go unchallenged. I value loyalty and give it without reservation.

Surely everyone values loyalty, but it’s important to value objectivity as well, lest you get run over by the likes of Lee Fowler.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

That fantastic coach while improving his defense, had one of the worst defenses in the Coastal Div. last year. Missing our top 2 RB’s we hung about 38 points on the holes last year.

And by what metric would that be? You MUST be looking at yds/game which doesn’t mean much of anything when their offense is quick scoring and up-tempo. Looking at pts/game and they were #4 in the ACC last year. If you think the defense of their 11-2 squad sucked last year and isn’t anything to be concerned about as a fan of their rival then, with all due respect, you’ve got your head in the sand.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Surely everyone values loyalty, but it’s important to value objectivity as well, lest you get run over by the likes of Lee Fowler.

Well said. Loyalty is an important quality, but you should never lose your objectivity. I try to stay in the huge middle between boundless optimism and depressing pessimism.

In general, I’m happy when State is doing well and know how to use the channel selector when they’re not.

JasonP
    Participant

If you think the defense of their 11-2 squad sucked last year and isn’t anything to be concerned about as a fan of their rival then, with all due respect, you’ve got your head in the sand.

Now we’re talkin’! Nothing like some hyperbole on a sports forum to get the blood flowing.

Just looked at UNC’s 2015 schedule and I don’t see anything that should scare any D1 team regarding that defense returning. “Isn’t anything to be concerned about” is taking it a bit too far though. Every defense the Pack faces should be concerning, especially with our offense and especially when they’ve got the very strategic placement of The Citadel right before our game on the schedule.

Just noticed they’ve got the UNC game scheduled for either noon or 3:30 start. First I’ve seen of that.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.