This Don't Look Good

Home Forums StateFans Basketball This Don't Look Good

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Swoff will ensure we get the death penalty for this. Might as well pack it up and go home folks. Shutdown the site.

Wulfpack
    Participant

My best guess is we get nailed.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

What are the odds that Nike wasn’t doing it’s own version of the same things Adidas is alleged of doing?

In general… I’m thinking Schools and Coaches will come out of this with minimal damage…
    unless somebody had both hands in the cookie jar…

That said… it’s another handfull of 20p nails in the NCAA coffin…
    and the Sports Media Carpenters are already banging away…

DSJ Sr, not Jr.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    PackofMac
    Participant

DSJ took money BEFORE he came to nc state, debbie has a nice paper trail of “stay the fu*k away” to the agent in question. Gott is gone, DSJ is gone…what’s the worse that can happen compared to unx and puke who have current players that took money and their coaches named in the reports. Sounds like to mother f-ing end to Rat and Roy, I’ll take a spanking to see those dicks gone.

rthomas44
    Participant

Just call it Fake News and say the FBI is a conspiracy. Seems to work for Donald.

PackofMac
    Participant

this has become and is not just an adidas issue, obviously with the entry or puke and unx now in the mix.

gso packbacker
    Participant

Not going to worry about this until we get a lot more information. No value for me personally to worry ahead of time, as someone posted earlier.

But, it does say to me that the business of college sports is corrupted beyond what I previously thought.

Also, I saw Brendan Haywood on there. The cat was drafted in 2001, but still has an outstanding debt to these guys for $300 or so dollars?. The agent couldn’t even figure out how to produce a decent financial report from what I could tell. Would he really keep an A/R transaction for 15 years? Possibly Brandon was helping him recruit other players to join the agency and this was just an unrecouped expense. Either way, it’s a big mess.

StateRed44
    Participant

Looks like an agent/agency gave multiple prospects money and freebies for inducement. They went on to different schools. So they are ineligible. They got the papers from this one agent. Probably a nationwide problem. End of story.

StateRed44
    Participant

Just call it Fake News and say the FBI is a conspiracy. Seems to work for Donald.

LOCK HER UP!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Coach Rat and Dook’s ‘problem’ gets solved when Bilas becomes NCAA Commissioner….

Uncle Roy and the HOLES have already paid off their debts to NCAA…

gso packbacker
    Participant

Went to waybackmachine.org and found this gem about ASM Sports and the “personal services” they offered. Best part is that their motto was “Representing tomorrow’s stars, today.” Seriously, comedy gold right there, folks!

ASM SPORTS is a strong, family-oriented unit. We help clear obstacles of all kinds.
    – Assist in travel and transportation services.
    – Short and long-term housing arrangements.
    – Experienced assistance with a variety of unique life situations that NBA, and all professional athletes face.

ASM Sports – “Representing tomorrow’s stars, today.”

Texpack
    Participant

Worst case is vacating last season. Something most of us wish we could do anyway. There is also a ver distinct possibility that the money went to his dad for AAU expenses. No big downside here for the Pack. People get put on probation for this stuff when somebody associated with the school is involved in the payments or when they happen while the kid is on campus. tOSU got nailed for the Tressel cover-up.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Since basketball is the problem lets just ban basketball from being played by anyone in the USA seems to work for some.

Or lets just have the FBI clear some people who are connected and try to crucify other people who are not kind of like the NCAA does with certain programs seems to work for unx.

Or … I wonder how many more we can come up with. lol this could be fun. : )

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Since basketball is the problem lets just ban basketball…

Ahhh… the slippery slope…

Due to Title IX … This would require the dissolution of Women’s Basketball, too…
    That wouldn’t ‘sit well’ with a whole lot of folks would might otherwise support a ban on men’s basketball …

Maybe we could have “Coed” Basketball…. amateur status, of course….

B’rer ‘Roo… I’m thinking of you here….

TheCOWDOG

How ’bout that AD of ours? A letter of disassociation to the moneyman way back in 2012. Sharp.

freshmanin83
    Participant

How ’bout that AD of ours? A letter of disassociation to the moneyman way back in 2012. Sharp.

I agree looks like a very proactive thing to do.

North Carolina State athletic director Debbie Yow says the school in 2012 disassociated itself from a former NBA agent at the center of a federal probe into college basketball corruption. … N.C. State had sent Miller and his businesses a 10-year disassociation letter, citing NCAA reports that indicate the agent worked closely with an AAU coach and saying that “creates a vulnerability” for the school “that we cannot tolerate.”

Read more here: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/sports/article201756954.html#storylink=cpy

freshmanin83
    Participant
    rthomas44
    Participant

Are there no stable geniuses in the humor department except me or does it sail right above all that sprayed blonde hair.

ryebread
    Participant

I tend to think that what the FBI is really going to get people on are tax evasion and racketeering. The tax evasion will go to all the individuals who took the money and didn’t report it on their taxes. The racketeering is the seeming collusion between the agents, shoe companies, etc.. The individuals get to deal with the IRS and the racketeers go to prison or cop plea deals.

Where I think it can nail the school is if they can prove that the school employed one of the bag men, or if the school was actively involved in the collusion. That’s seemingly what they have on Pitino and why Louisville is going to get in trouble. It is uncertain to me (based on what we know now) whether they can prove that someone inside the NC State athletics department actively participated in Dennis Smith Jr. getting paid by this agency. On the outside there seems like a lot of smoke, but to prove the university’s role would take more than that spreadsheet.

I tend to think amateurism in the D1 college revenue sports is a complete joke. I think scholarships for players who are hardly literate, scholarships to attend school in exchange for play on a sports team, scholarships to do things like cheerleading, etc. are a farce as well. The schools’ mission is to educate students, not to run semi-pro sports. I’d be perfectly fine if the whole entire model came completely crashing down. In my mind, paying the kids, getting them out of classes is basically that happening, and at that point we might as well have real minor leagues (and not NCAA sports). That is definitely true for football (issue is probably worse there because there is more money), basketball and baseball.

I’m not quite sure how I feel about the Olympic sports that are non-revenue. I would argue in those though that there are seemingly less obvious other avenues for revenue for kids aged 17-22 if they are really good in those activities. Maybe college tuition and room and board is a good trade for an aspiring Olympic swimmer until they are good enough to get backing by the US Olympic association.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I see an opportunity for the NCAA. Instead of putting this down as a major problem, they should embrace it as a solution for college athletes to make money. Then two issues go away: a way to pay athletes and this shoe business becomes a positive thing and not a stain. And then of course we’re behind the 8-ball again 🙂

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Speaking of stupid ideas…

People down here been running their Air Conditioners all week…
    Why? idk… it’s been 75-80 degrees at the most..
    Because they can, I suppose…

Another example of people spending good money to get something that’s bad for you…
    just like paying players…
    :>}

john of sparta
    Participant

packerinrussia: NCAA not doing that. they’re going 13th amendment.

quote:
    The NCAA Says Student-Athletes Shouldn’t Be Paid Because the 13th Amendment Allows Unpaid Prison Labor

link:
    https://theintercept.com/2018/02/22/ncaa-student-athletes-unpaid-prison/

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Future NCAA Commissioner Jay Bilas says…

“Players being paid isn’t new, and we’ve known it all along…”

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/colleges/video/17367816/

ahhh DUH !!!

choppack1
    Participant

How bout that FBI folks? Funny, how much time are they spending looking at money laundering due to future NBA talent vs mass murderers. #nostoneleftunturnedfortaxevaders #irsrevenue>massshootings

PackerInRussia
    Participant

packerinrussia: NCAA not doing that. they’re going 13th amendment

Oh I know they won’t. I was just being silly. No good will come from this. As they say, “Mo’ money, mo’ problems”.
    But I’d also being willing to bet that bad doesn’t necessarily come to all involved either. And if it took years to investigate and then let off the hook a slam dunk case like UNC, who knows what the NCAA will do with this. Or won’t do. And I get that the FBI is a different matter but smart coaches who knew what was going on stayed far enough away. And schools like UNC may be dumb, but they ain’t stupid.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.