The rest of this season – what to expect?

Home Forums All StateFansNation The rest of this season – what to expect?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

Would you trade Coach GOTT for Uncle Roy or Coach Rat?
    Would you trade Coach for Petino or Boeheim ?

Wave a magic wand and take money out of the equation…. honest answers..
    If Coach had a medical thing and couldn’t coach anymore, who would you pick as a Head Coach that is currently coaching at an ACC school?

I know my answer and it ain’t Bennett…. although he is a good one.

If we’re considering only bottom line results and not any personal likes/dislikes (real or perceived), and it is presumed that any of them would be able and willing to continue performing at the same level (including recruiting) for at least another 10 years, give or take…then HELL YES to all four (five including Bennett) you mentioned. As well as at least a couple of others.

Which is not to say that I’m itching to unload Gott. At least not just yet. Plus, those first four are four of the five active HOF coaches, so there’s that.

FWIW….
    http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/college-basketball-ranking-acc-coaches-2014-15

Wulfpack
    Participant

If you are interested in winning a championship, then I’d take those top 5 hands down (K, Pitino, Boeheim, Bennett and Roy). Not talking longevity here – strictly talking about trying to win one.

If I am building a program, it’s Bennett. Though I have a hunch Manning will prove to be a solid hire at Wake (and possibly Buzz Williams at Va Tech).

Gott is going to get another year for sure but it is going to be a make or break year. I get the sense many of the State faithful are souring on him.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Because I mostly agree with Comrade 76, I will try my hand at some longer form thoughts.

What we need is another voice. A “peer to peer” voice, both during games and during the week at practice, and around campus when guys’ minds aren’t quite right. Bringing them in line, both with positive (pat on the back) and negative (kick in the pants) feedback, as the man and situation warrants.

That’s leadership. And when it ONLY comes from the coach, it’s easy to tune out. For one, he ain’t around 24/7. For twosies, he’s the old man, and can only have so much credibility, even if he does relate (and he really DOES) much better than 95% of coaches out there.

So…as valuable as it is to have leaders by example, if that’s all you have, it’s usually not enough, especially if you are swimming in choppy seas. And we are doing just that. Like I said, MG’s best strength as a coach is probably what the Brits call “man management” but he still needs an Alex Johnson as his adjunct. The results speak for themselves.

choppack1
    Participant

Bjd – its his job to find one. I would also say that it’s critical that the main leader has a vision and great leadership as well. Dd’s vision for the football program is clearly articulated. He’s found his face and he now has a level of credibility. Do we hear the same vision coming from gott?

Do we see him looking for great leaders and perhaps compromising on the athletic side to bring this man in? Perhaps terry Henderson is this leader you think will right the ship.

I think we have a good coach. I just don’t know if “good” is enough at this level.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Chop, I agree with all that.

In a sense, it would be all the more frustrating if he threw away his potential here on a problem that, on the surface, looks so eminently fixable. Not such a fundamental root blight like with HWSNBN or Sid.

But it is totally his program, and he’s responsible for where his program is, and there should be a reckoning after the 2015-16 season. No excuses.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Football is really different, mainly because of the sheer numbers involved. From the former players I’ve talked to, they are primarily concerned about the opinions of their teammates and their position coaches. It’s almost like being in the army. The head coach has to be much more of an administrator. Basketball is much more up close and personal.

MP
    Participant

But it is totally his program, and he’s responsible for where his program is, and there should be a reckoning after the 2015-16 season. No excuses.

There is no doubt that he has earned next season. It is however unfortunate that we ‘know’ we will be entering a make-or-break season (whether DY sees it that way or not, 50%+ of fans will). Many or most of the people who look at next season as make-or-break are probably expecting “break”.

If we enter next season ‘knowing’ it’s make-or-break… What results are “make”? Hard to say ACCT title since conference depth makes that requirement a bit of a crapshoot. Sweet 16… Already been done, even Julius Hodge (oops I mean Sendek heehee) accomplished that.

We as a fanbase will probably enter next season expecting (‘requiring’) an Elite 8 or better. No pressure!

It would serve Gott well to show us all something special over the next 5+ weeks. I personally think that a good start would be reducing Turner’s minutes and starting Martin 14 or 15. Go for broke, invest in the future, higher upside in the current season. Hell maybe they’ll break through for an Elite 8 or better this season and we won’t have to worry about that whole make-or-break thing.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

This team should be top 25.

As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no evidence to support this. As Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

But it is totally his [Gott’s] program, and he’s responsible for where his program is,

Ultimately, everything good or bad comes to rest on the head coach’s desk.

choppack1
    Participant

Bjd – its definitely differen but the vision, the identity should come from the head coach. I see Gottfried as that smart boss you like to work for, but who doesn’t stay on top of things and when things blow up – he’s looking at his direct reports for answers. He’s not a micromanager -and that’s good. But perhaps he’s not enough of a hard-arse and maybe he’s too close to his people.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

…expect the unexpected…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Timbo
    Participant

This team certainly has regressed to a point where bottom can be reached without bending over, but the good news is there’s just no where to go but up, having no talent and loosing every game would be a relief compared to the inspiring belief that you can win!!!

Texpack
    Participant

What to expect? Two or three more wins. This team has results similar to a random number generator. Sometimes even within games. Really discouraging season.

eas
    Participant

I expect to see the following through the end of this season….its just who we are and have been for Sooooo long:

-a team that plays hard for 3/4’s of the game
    -a win against One or two top teams
    -several wtf losses
    -a good run in the ACC tourney
    -being on the wrong side of the bubble
    -an NIT bid
    -an offense that is horrid
    -a defense that is good at times but bad overall
    -little to no structure on the court…mostly street ball
    -just enough positive results to say maybe we are????
    -1 or 2 transfers at the end of the season

These are just my normal expectations from MANY years. I am not happy with Gott over the last two years but I can also say that he has helped us in many ways. I agree it’s most likely next year is his make or break year. My personal thoughts are he needs to spend some hard time actually designing an offense & defense that actually WORKS with his current players. Play to their strengths and if what you are doing now doesn’t work (which it has not been) scrap it for now. We are set up for full court press and an intense defense with such a large rotation. Find a way to do both and we don’t have to worry about the terrible 1/2 court offense we are trying to run. Problem is we all know how LOW we rank with defense under GOTT. I would say 80/20 we will be looking for a new coach after next year. Until then we can hope for some serious change with our defense and offense as well as NOT loosing a few to transfers (which may be likely unfortunately).

I gave up on landing one of the “big” coaching names a long time ago. It doesn’t seem to be a possibility here with the money it would take. We always pick up coaches that “may” be a sleeper great coach. That project is still running a low percentage over many years for us. Who knows maybe next year will be the one. In the end that’s what we always say. That’s just Wolfpack athletics.

Wulfpack
    Participant

several wtf losses

Hard to refer to these as such when they keep happening (and almost happening in the case of GT).

eas
    Participant

Good point Wulfpack. Let me rephrase that…”several normal losses”

packer74
    Participant

Expectations. Minimum of four more losses prior to the ACC tournament. Continued weak defense, poor shot selection, bad passes, missed layups, clanking FTs, and getting pounded on the boards. Seen this movie before- Ground Hog Day.

MattN
    Participant

Gott has lost this team. There is just simply WAY too much talent to lose to Wofford, Clemson, and Weak Florist. We have not had a truly sound fundamental player since Illian Evtimov. The non-cohesive street ball analogy is the best I’ve seen. We have tremendous talent at every position but we simply are not all on the same page. Duke proved we CAN be if we do it right. Clemson proved we don’t have the leadership to pull that off consistently. And inconsistency has been an issue for our basketball team for a long long LONG time. Not even V’s teams were very consistent. But at least he recognized it and the teams generally improved through the year. When was the last time we could truly say our team improved from start to finish of the season? 1988?

I am beginning to feel another coaching change may be inevitable, particularly if 2015-16 is as dismal as this one. It will be hard to explain away another poor performance by a team loaded with juniors and seniors.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

There is just simply WAY too much talent to lose to Wofford, Clemson, and Weak Florist. We have not had a truly sound fundamental player since Illian Evtimov.

While both statements may be, more or less, true in the narrow sense …
    Is the contradiction not also exposed?

Raw Talent !== Good Fundamentals

Or is this what College Basketball Coaching is all about these days???

If so… the Coach can’t go any faster than the players…

Good example…
    Anthony spent all last summer shooting threes in the gym…
    Six months later… and twenty or so games we are seeing some positive results on the court in live action…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Rick
    Keymaster

Seems to me, once you regress to the point where “next year is the make or break” point, you are already in trouble.
    It is just a matter of time IMO. Sigh it is what we do.

MP
    Participant

^ That’s basically what I was getting at…

What results next year will be good enough?

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Just for posterity, here are the results through about 1pm today. I’ll try to be a bit more nuanced in future polls, but I thought this was interesting nonetheless.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Anybody watch the MG show this week?

There was a segment with Cat and Ralston that struck me a little weird.

I checked and it hasn’t been posted to youtube yet, but I’d love to hear the impressions of other people.

Rick
    Keymaster

What was it about as I did not see it?
    I would love to hear what you thought.

pakfanistan
    Participant

What was it about as I did not see it?
    I would love to hear what you thought.

It’s the “Keepin’ it real” segment they’ve been doing each week where two players comment on another.

Cat and Ralston were commenting on the GT buzzer beater by Lacey, and they were ragging him for not passing it to either of them who were open. They were laughing like it was playful, but it sounded like there was more than a kernel of actual animosity beneath the laughter.

I couldn’t decide if it was just my imagination or…..I dunno. It genuinely sounded like Ralston doesn’t like Trevor.

It reminded me of CD’s commentary on some players feeling jealous. I almost interpreted it as Ralston and Cat expected to be the stars this year, and they feel like Trevor is taking it on himself to do everything and neglecting the team concept.

I’m probably reading way, way, way more into it than is there though.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.