The rest of this season – what to expect?

Home Forums All StateFansNation The rest of this season – what to expect?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Next season is absolutely vital, whether this one turns around a bit or not. This season’s ending has no bearing on how much I need to see in 2015-16. It needs to be special, or I’m worried.

Over the years, you’ve mentioned many times about wanting a special season at least once ever 4-5 years. I want that too, but I’m not sure that’s a part of DY’s (or the large, large majority of other AD’s) evaluation process.

What do I expect:
    – poor defense
    – poor rebounding
    – poor decision making way too often
    – poor free throw shooting
    – bad losses

Last year’s team had exactly one impressive win (over Syracuse in the ACCT). Hopefully, this year’s version can reach .500 in conference and add a second impressive win before Selection Sunday.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Really good, insightful post xphoenix. Thanks.

Rick
    Keymaster

The fact that they didn’t come together completely undermined all momentum of year 1. That’s my point about that and Sid’s year 2. That momentum hurts future recruiting, not necessarily what you have coming in immediately afterwards. We’re suffering in recruiting now because of year 2 and what has transpired since.

It certainly is hurting. We went from multiple McD AAs to one to none to no players at all. Hard not to argue that is a bad trend. If people say it is playing time then next year we face the same problem.
    My guess is 1-3 players transfer and we have no depth at all.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

I question whether they go all out for 40 minutes. Unless their 40 minutes is like 20 Earth minutes. In which case, yea, I agree with you.

PapaJohn
    Participant

Well, we’ve always said that Gott’s strength was recruiting first, offense second, and I don’t know what order the rest would fall into.

Recruiting:
    2014 – I like our freshmen, but they are not elite recruits. As noted above, no McDonald’s All Americans. I’d say that Abu was an elite athlete, but he’s still learning the game of basketball – so not an elite basketball player.

2015 – Barring a big, last minute surprise, next year will be worse. No one signed early. We are on some lists, but I don’t see any major talent headed to Raleigh.

Offense:
    If our 3PT shooting is falling, we look pretty good. If not, we seldom can figure out any alternatives.

So Gott’s “strengths” aren’t working right now, and they seem to be trending in a negative direction.

In the back of my mind I keep thinking, Debbie Yow is a basketball coach. She knows a lot about coaching. She knows the difference between a good coach and a bad coach. We’ve heard Gott pay a lot more lip service to playing defense this year. (“we’re gonna be a good defensive team this year”) I’ll bet that is directly related to some “coaching” he received from her. I’ll bet she called him out on his lack of defense. (just a guess/hope) And so he talks a lot more about it, knowing she’s focused on it. But it isn’t happening on the floor.

I think a lot of Ms Yow. She really seems to be trying to upgrade the overall athletic program. I wonder if she’s GOTT somebody on a short leash, and if he doesn’t deliver soon ….

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Wufpup, I generally don’t buy the missing team leader argument in sports. It’s an assumption offered up to explain woes.

I’ve known many a team with great leaders that had poor results. Team leadership may win a few points off the court, and occasionally might propel you to overcome a few game obstacles, but it’s a relatively minor factor.

And it certainly cannot overcome what xphoenix astutely observes. When you’re mediocre, there’s more missing than team leadership.

I do believe that leadership can be cultivated, and comes in all forms.

McCallum
    Participant

WOW! A “war and peace” of comments about this and that when Gott really should run the pickett fence at them.

Leaders are not cultivated, they are or they ain’t.

If an organization is crappy it keeps them from moving up hence the status of the organization.

McCallum

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Wufpup, I generally don’t buy the missing team leader argument in sports. It’s an assumption offered up to explain woes.

I’ve known many a team with great leaders that had poor results. Team leadership may win a few points off the court, and occasionally might propel you to overcome a few game obstacles, but it’s a relatively minor factor.

And it certainly cannot overcome what xphoenix astutely observes. When you’re mediocre, there’s more missing than team leadership.

I do believe that leadership can be cultivated, and comes in all forms.

^That’s cool, and sounds entirely reasonable/plausible imo. Thanks for your response.

I wanted to avoid this article being seen as any type of an “excuse-making rabbit hole”, so I was hoping I didn’t fail too hard when I saw your original response 🙂

wufpup76
    Keymaster

choppack1
    Participant

I think out guys play hard, they are talented, and by all accounts are decent young men…this should give us an idea of where the problem could lie.

The evolution around here is funny. When a coach first arrives – the coach has bad kids, no one can win with this lack of talent/group of malcontents. Then it slowly transitions to “its the coach dammit.”

It was obvious in year 2 what was going to happen with sid. With gott – the jury is still out. Was his collapse at bama after a promising start the result of personal issues or did the game tweak in a subtle enough way that his way couldn’t bring better than 65% in conference wins.

He clearly deserves another year short of on-court issues. But depending on how recruiting goes, yow may need to do another proactive removal after year 5.

TheCOWDOG

So…did anybody Google Art?

‘Cause I can get back to ya’ on some of that.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Cuz …

I’d be interested to see how you connect the second guy from the left on the back row to this year’s team…
    … and I’m sure everybody else would too…

The long version if you don’t mind…
    I’ll buy you a cold beer.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    coyotejoe
    Participant

COWDOG, I would love to hear some more about Mr. Musselman.

Primewolf
    Participant

Pup, that is one ???? Poll. I don’t know what to make of your propositions, but it seems obvious to me Gott is not a great leader or coach. I really don’t see any real chance of reasonable success during his tenure. The team is lost, getting worse. It is tough getting out prepared and coached every game. Is this not Gotts 4th year?? Why waste a few more years on this. If Gott had shown any improvement in fundamentals or you could see a tiny trend up, my position would be different. I am tired of relying on the 3 pt heave as our strategy because we can’t work the ball enough to produce a good 3 pt shot. However, I suspect he will have a few more years to prove me wrong.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Orgs have personnel in place to train and teach and yes, cultivate, nurture, and reward performance and development of leadership skills of workers. In a sports org, among 18-23 year olds, performance and leadership ain’t necessarily to be found in the same workers. I’d say old Norman dale knew how to find his leaders.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Seriously, rank ACC coaches. Where do we stand relative to our peers?

I don’t know if they print it anymore, but I always bought a copy of the ACC Handbook years ago. At some point, they started including the anonymous comments of opposing teams coaches. And they we’re candid. Wonder what the rest of the league would say about our players, staff, team?

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Pup, that is one ???? Poll.

Apparently I should have been more nuanced with the poll answers. I’ll keep that in mind 😉

I appreciate everyone’s feedback, and I’m glad the article at least generated some starting points for discussion.

Please, carry on 🙂

Wulfpack
    Participant

Been thinking the same thing.

I’d easily put our guy over Gregory, Christian and Brownell. Returns on Manning and Buzz Williams too early to call.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

..coyoteJoe..
    stuff I’d forgotten…

start here….

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

In a sports org, among 18-23 year olds, performance and leadership ain’t necessarily to be found in the same workers.

It might be worth remembering…. that every kid on our Team, including the walk-ons… was a Senior Leader on his last team…
    They all have done it before… or we wouldn’t know their names…

But this is a different team … and it’s an “adjustment”… and there’s an “adjustment period” which may be shorter or longer depending on a lot of things…

There’s just as much, if not more, difference between sophomores and seniors in HS as there is between freshman and seniors in College… and there’s gonna a little to a lot of “roostering” until they work the thing out among themselves…

Generally speaking, best thing for Coach to do is to set ’em up so it’s a fair fight and then sit back and watch… Generally speaking that is…

Unquestionably… the worst thing Coach can do is to pick their Leader for them… every time…

And there’s no question that with this year’s Team, it’s taken twice as long or more than with some other teams… and then some year’s it never happens…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Let’s ask the same question this way…

Would you trade Coach GOTT for Uncle Roy or Coach Rat?
    Would you trade Coach for Petino or Boeheim ?

Wave a magic wand and take money out of the equation…. honest answers..
    If Coach had a medical thing and couldn’t coach anymore, who would you pick as a Head Coach that is currently coaching at an ACC school?

I know my answer and it ain’t Bennett…. although he is a good one.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Bill, I think there’s a difference between being a leader on the floor and a team leader among players. Some guys lead quietly and by example. Some are in your face. Some don’t get much floor time but serve as mentors and help others better execute or accept a role. I don’t know much about these men’s high school careers, but just because you’re The Guy in high school, I don’t think that equates to leadership.

I don’t get the point of your question about coaches. For the long haul, Bennett is a no brainer, but I also think Williams will be successful eventually at vt. Lots of older coaches in the league. Right now, i’d rank our guy in the middle third, but he’s straddling that line to bottom third.

Pack1998
    Participant

I would say the talent on this team is at average to below average for the ACC.

If u start w that observation u will have a different view.

Check the other teams – ACC is loaded w talent. Not for th weak.

lawful
    Participant

We gave up 50 pts in a half to WF. Really? Has anyone else given up that many points in a half to WF this year? How about the last 5 years?

We blow huge leads. Blame it on the players if you want. This is big time college ball. Put your foot up their ass if you have to. This team should be top 25.

redcanine
    Participant

I don’t expect any epiphanies or changes in offensive or defensive strategy. At this point, might as well stick with your guns. We’ll continue to play 4 post guys for a combined 80 minutes, 20 points & 15 boards, and 12 fouls. Defensively, we’ll play prevent, only to foul with under 5 seconds left on the shot clock and put em on the line for an and-1, or completely whiff on the rebound attempt.

I expect our weak side off the ball defense to continue to be very vulnerable to ball reversals.

I expect Cat to continue his aggressive play. This might be the best thing we have going for us. The more he can push it coast to coast, the less we’ll have to set up our offense. As long as he keeps finishing lay ups from the left side with his left hand (way to go, Cat!), he’ll keep scoring points.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.