State Loses 11th Straight in ACC

Home Forums All StateFansNation State Loses 11th Straight in ACC

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Prowling Woofie
    Participant

Don’t give a damn anymore. Real sorry, as I love spending fall afternoons tailgating with friends and enjoying a victorious conference football game. That hasn’t happened in almost two years now.

3* recruits are the best we are getting, and – as success breeds success – seem to be our high-water mark. This ship has already sailed, and it’s only halfway through the initial contract period.

I thought for sure we’d beat Wake and UNX this year, given their level of ineptitude. We may still beat Wake, but UNX will hang 50+ on our non-existent defense, and our vanishing offense stands no chance of keeping up with them.

DD’s best-case scenario is 1-15 in the conference after this season. Think about that….

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yes, I understand we lost. Close to winning is still losing.

Close? We lost by 15 to FSU. Lost by 41 to Clemson. And lost by 16 to BC. Those aren’t “close” losses.

Look, I know that some were salivating following the FSU game. We played very well. If it weren’t for a completely insept defense, we may just have been able to pull the upset of the season. The offensive play was excellent.

But folks, that was one game. We have followed it up wih two stinkers. Why didn’t the execution and effort carry over? That is a very fair and relevant question.

It won’t get any easier at Louisville, who has the top ranked defense in the country, and loads more talent than our beloved Pack. Keeping it within two scores will be a challenge.

archdalepack
    Participant

I said during first game we were watching a coach end his career. Response from those in the know, ” DD has 5 years”. They made it sound like he knew us better than we know ourselves.

BassPacker
    Participant

1-15 in DD second season sounds bad as is. If remember correctly, TOB was 6-18 in conference first three years with much better talent pool left from Amato. Amato could recruit just no discipline. In TOB first year he was 1-5 to start and second season Pack started 0-4 but with the help of what we now know NFL superstar QB Wilson he managed just 3 ACC wins. His third year TOB only won 2 ACC games with returning starter Wilson. Two in his third season with what could have been the ACC weakest as a whole. TOB was bad too and probably got a free ride into the next season and less criticism only because he beat UNC every year. I’m not throwing DD off the train just yet but do hope hes not as hard headed as TOB when it comes to change.

PackofMac
    Participant

Honestly as a fan what is there to get excited about??? It’s all a joke, the years of following the Pack have me wandering real reasons a 4* kid would commit here. The first three games were our real team, barely scraping by lower level teams. We were as jacked up as a group of athletes can be when we played FSU. Suprise me, but we will only beat Wake….UNSux WILL hang 50+ on us. You think you feel bad as a fan now???? May as well go ahead and submit those time off requests from work following that game.

PackFamily
    Participant

Our defense actually made some good adjustments after the Eagles put up 21.

we’re gonna get blown out by GT because our coach will refuse to switch from the 4-2-5 and they’ll run down our damn throats.

The adjustment made was the change to the 4-3-4… Pittman came in at LB along with Fernandez and Noel.

rtpack24
    Participant

Through the years one thing about NC State football is that we always play with passion and intensity. On TV it did not appear that we had either against Clemson. I went to the game this past weekend where it is easier to get a “feel” of the game. First two drives on offense we looked ready to play and were playing well. From that point on with the exception of 3 or 4 plays we played with no intensity or effort. Talent level, schemes, and play calling can all be questioned but our lack of passion is very disheartening. Hopefully DD can turn this around.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

– For all the schematic complaints, it’s not about the X’s and O’s but the Jimmies and Joes. Many positions including our LBs and RBs looked completely outmatched yesterday.

I agree. But the beauty of college sports is that it doesn’t matter if we’re right or not because the head coach is responsible for BOTH. Obviously DD came into a bad situation and deserves some time to right the ship. But ultimately a coach will be judged on his W/L record (as long as Lee Fowler isn’t the AD).

pakfanistan
    Participant

Those aren’t “close” losses.

We played very well. If it weren’t for a completely insept defense, we may just have been able to pull the upset of the season. The offensive play was excellent.

Does not compute.

ncsu1987
    Participant

I’m very disappointed in the last two games. I had hoped we would compete better, especially on Saturday. But from a long term perspective, I need some help from you guys.

By the language of a lot of the posts, most of you know WAY more than I do about the intricacies of the game. I feel like I know a little, but in no way am I qualified to say the DC is misusing his talent and needs to change. So, those of you screaming for blood, please help an old man out here:

What, specifically, would you change about the defense? Before you pull a random defensive scheme out of your couch-coach tool bag, take a few minutes and carefully evaluate your personnel. Note the size and speed of your DB’s. Same for your LB’s. Honestly appraise the fundamental skill level of the entire squad, but especially the DL’s. Then take a look at your depth and do the same thing. Now what, specifically, would you change?

I get that the current scheme isn’t working, at least in the sense that it isn’t winning games. What evidence do you have that yours wouldn’t be worse?

Switching topics: let’s look at the Mack Brown/UNC situation. There was a suggestion a while back that pulling Mack’s stats is cherry-picking, to a degree. While there’s some truth to that, let me turn that on its head. Mack was 1-10 his first two seasons. If you’re making the “cherry-picking” argument, it’s because you think Mack is a really good coach and Dave is not. (I honestly don’t know, b/c I don’t think I have enough data.) But the fact remains that Mack went 1-10,1-10 at UNC. If you don’t think that Dave is as good as Mack, then why are you expecting him to do better in his first two years? What am I missing here, guys?

Wulfpack
    Participant

What don’t you understand, palfanistan? We played well, yet still weren’t close at the end. And not close at all the two games following. Get it?

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Wasn’t it literally just last week some of you guys were legitimately worried that Doeren was headed to Kansas.

lmao

The highs and lows around here.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Not exactly FB….but…

PFANISTAN,

I have been intrigued by your Abraham Lincoln Quote…which changes from time to time…

Could you give a quick web reference to it or maybe explain it? I do NOT pretend to be a student of Lincoln or his history, but I can seem to locate it and the circumstances prompting his making it.

I am sure I have over looked something, but when I google the quote, all I get are references to your posts here and other places.

Thanks…

Pack1998
    Participant

100% support Doeren.

He needs to have a heart to heart with his assistants. I think you can get more out of this team than they have so far.

The fact they didn’t open w a 4-3 or even a 4-4 with a spy against BC is concerning. And I have always questioned some of the offense calls, especially in the red zone.

A comparison of coaches first few years at a base level can be misleading, as u don’t see all the sublevel changes they make from a leadership and mgt perspective – they all had to adapt and change to get to eventual success – that is what the best ones do. Persistence is important. Doeren has the fire in his belly, he’ll be great over time.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Sorry I’m not big on the idea of waiting 5 more years and HOPE we have ourselves a David Cutcliffe.

And it’s not even a fair comparison with Duke being perenial ACC cellar dweller playing in on a track field. We’ve got WAY more resources and points to sell than frikking Duke football so no reason it needs to take upward of 5 years to get the boat turned.

ryebread
    Participant

ncsu1987: I’m remote, so I’ve not been at the game, but it seems like we’re playing a lot of man — maybe 2 deep type stuff. I only see what the cameras show me, but I base this off of completely vacated areas of the field, particularly in the middle. It looks like the guys are coached to chase, and they’re pulled out of position for big gains on QB runs, delayed routes, etc..

I’d play zone with this secondary and LBs. Given we’re smaller, slower and weaker, we need to at least be solid position. Our guys would be helped by being able to see the play unfold in front of them, and step forward to make a tackle.

I’d pair that with some zone blitz principles. If you are smaller, slower and weaker, confusion is your best chance. We look fairly vanilla to me. The next time I see a corner come in off the edge and a DL drop into coverage (like I think BC did on the interception before the lightning) will seemingly be the first. If I’m wrong on that because I can’t tell given the TV / internet feeds, then I apologize in advance.

I’d have also stacked the box against BC. It may not have changed anything. We may not have been able to stop the offensive line. They may have thrown over the top, but I’d have forced Murphy to beat us throwing. We came out in a 4-2-5 with the same spacing we did against Clemson…..

I’d have also put a spy on Murphy. I would have taken the best athlete in the back 7 and told him that no matter what, his job was not to let Murphy get beyond the line of scrimmage. Otherwise, stay in a short zone to cut off some of the crossing stuff and hit him hard every time he ran.

I’m not convinced that BC had that much more talent than we did. They had a system, an identity, were well schooled in it, and ground out a fairly easy and convincing win. Anyone who watched them play USC knew the game plan.

Now, to your point, nothing schematically was going to help us against Clemson and FSU, nor will it against Louisville. The talent gap is way too big. That’s why those were inked as losses before the year started in my mind.

We blew it big time against BC at home. That was a much needed win to get the monkey off the back and get the team looser. I think this team is playing tight, particularly JB. At a certain point, when the losses mount, every little mistake gets amplified and there’s no real trust that you can pull things out.

I think that’s what is happening. The offense thinks they have to score every time they touch the football. One mistake and it feels like the game is lost. I thought the defense felt that way last year given the offense’s ineptitude. Due to the “fast pace” style offense, if the offense misfires, the defense is right back out there with virtually zero rest to play more outmanned ball. Something is wrong with Sade on the FGs. Heck, even Baumann will be impacted if he keeps outkicking coverage. This isn’t a confident team.

Regardless, the natives just need to settle down. DD isn’t going anywhere as long as Yow is here. Yow knows this is her last stop, and I think there’s some legacy work she wants to see completed. I think she’s also smart enough to know that if she comes after DD early, no one is going to want to work for her, and it will just reflect poorly on her decision with TOB and this particular hire.

I do suspect we see coordinator changes after this season. DD is going to have to show that he’s “doing something.” He promised this last year and then moved on his secondary coach. I found it odd because that was a guy who he brought with him from N. Illinois.

OutWestWolf
    Participant

No worries, I here State has some rad uniform changes coming up.

GreyWolf: “Bobby Ross went 2-9, 3-8 and 7-4 in his first 3 years. Then a national title in his fourth. IMO All of these coaches proved to be the best head coaches these schools had.”
    ever hear of Bobby Dodd

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

lmao

The highs and lows around here.

Which begs the fair question….
    “Who’s doing the better jobs of handling the ‘highs and lows’…
    our young kids and coaches on the field ?
    OR the veterans at SFN ??”

The ONLY thing that makes the current malaise among fans worst, which I hope is not contagious for the team…. is talking about it…

If 90% of us did as much homework as @jrcox — see his post on recruiting… before we posted, except during game threads when stupid stuff is not only expected, but required… we might all be a little ‘happier’…

And just remember what Sam and Otis said…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I’m just not seeing DY long leash theory. I’ve got nothing to back it up but she seems like she might be a bit, for lack of a better endearing term, bat sh!t crazy, and I think if she gets the conviction in her heart that DD is in over his head here she’s going to damn well pull the trigger on him. Not this year, but next.

LRM
    Keymaster

I love firing coaches as much as the next State fan. But the truly scary part is this: We’re simply not a program that can fire a coach after two years and expect to upgrade.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I love firing coaches as much as the next State fan. But the truly scary part is this: We’re simply not a program that can fire a coach after two years and expect to upgrade.

THIS.

There’s absolutely no reason to do anything but hope for at least a mild turnaround next season, that gets us hopefully to a better 2016, and go from there. Otherwise, you are looking at a complete dumpster fire, even worse than we currently have.

pakfanistan
    Participant

There’s a difference between close score and close to winning. You acknowledge that,

We played very well. If it weren’t for a completely insept defense, we may just have been able to pull the upset of the season. The offensive play was excellent.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Otherwise, you are looking at a complete dumpster fire

you mean we aren’t a dumpster fire already? nevermind didn’t read the rest of your sentence lol

pakfanistan
    Participant

Not exactly FB….but…

PFANISTAN,

I have been intrigued by your Abraham Lincoln Quote…which changes from time to time…

Could you give a quick web reference to it or maybe explain it? I do NOT pretend to be a student of Lincoln or his history, but I can seem to locate it and the circumstances prompting his making it.

I am sure I have over looked something, but when I google the quote, all I get are references to your posts here and other places.

Thanks…

You didn’t overlook anything other than a whirling crap storm I unintentionally started, which culminated in me offering a $10 bet to a certain keymaster that they couldn’t make a reasonable post in response to me. Then I changed my username and avatar to match that certain keymaster, and subsequently had my username changed so that I was locked out of my account. In memoriam, I added the, “I want my $10” quote, and attributed it to Lincoln because it amused me.

It was pretty funny, in retrospect, but not something that is either important or even interesting.

ryebread
    Participant

theAliasTroll: I’m working on standard management theory.

For a college sports AD, the football coach is the most important hire. The AD’s success is most directly linked to college football. The AD wants their person in the most important position, as DY clearly did.

DY made a bold (and possibly unpopular choice with certain stakeholders) in firing TOB after a “winning” season. Granted, I agree with the choice, but in doing so, she probably made some promises or set expectations about the successor’s ability.

She hired DD. Therefore he is her man. She will have to back him. To make a quick change suggests she hired poorly. Those who didn’t support the move on TOB will be out for blood.

She’s in a Catch-22. She’ll have to back him until forced otherwise.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.