State 87, (2) Duke 75

Home Forums All StateFansNation State 87, (2) Duke 75

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Led by Lacy (21), Turner (16) and Anya (career-high 14), State beat #2 Duke 87-75 to improve to 3-1 in the ACC. This will be a resume-win on Selection
    [See the full post at: State 87, (2) Duke 75]

13OT
    Participant

Would LOVE to see an encore performance this coming Wednesday night!!

44rules
    Participant

Life as a State fan. Every time I get to the bottom of the dregs and think all hope is lost, I keep hoping against hope that something like this will happen. I don’t do the game thread during the game – always read it afterward – and it’s nice for once in a big game to see all the naysayers wrong at the end.

Of course, during the games I’m usually a big negative Nellie myself. But in the name of all that is holy that resides upon the Earth, I am happy today.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

highstick
    Participant

Sorta like you 44. I missed the entire game and was sure my wife was wrong when I got home. I’m gonna have fun watching the DVR of the game though. I’ve quit watching live cause everytime I do, they lose and I feel like I just jynxed ’em! Good weekend for the Pack teams and alumni!

Maybe it’s time to leave and go to the Ivy League or SEC…can we start a bidding war?

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Wufpacker
    Participant

The current CBB front page on CBSSports.com
    KW looking all mean and shit….

FuquayWolf
    Participant

Great win by the Pack! I thought this was the least likely game we would win during this tough 3 game stretch.

Minor irritation: tuned in to local sports radio station just now to catch their Sportscenter update for news on game. The idiots in Bristol said “Major upset in college basketball as North Carolina knocks off Duke 87-75.” Seriously.

ancsu87
    Participant

Life as a State fan. Every time I get to the bottom of the dregs and think all hope is lost, I keep hoping against hope that something like this will happen. I don’t do the game thread during the game – always read it afterward – and it’s nice for once in a big game to see all the naysayers wrong at the end.

Of course, during the games I’m usually a big negative Nellie myself. But in the name of all that is holy that resides upon the Earth, I am happy today.

I guess I drink the Kool-aid cause I have not gotten to the point where I thought all hope was lost in any season under Gott. Under Les, Herb and Sid I got there often.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I was at a buddy’s house watching the Packers, and the Pack, wearing out the DVR. Saw State up 4 at the half, bits of pieces of the run to 19 pt lead, then the hectic last 5 minutes. All interspersed with the Packers comeback, sweating the Dez Lee catch/no-catch, and GB’s win.

Reading the game thread is almost as much fun as watching the game, which I’ll go back and view in its entirety later.

Great win for State, proud of the team. Looks like BJ grew up a little today, he could have that stat line every game.

My only note – time to stop rushing the court. 🙂

44rules
    Participant

87, it’s not really Gott. It’s the fact that I became a State fan in the TT&B era and we’ve had about 25 years of weeping and gnashing of teeth since I graduated. The Les, Herb and Sid eras have done a wealth of destruction to my soul, to the point where I go off the deep end faster than before.

I like Gott. But this is about the first time this year I’ve seen where the guards get the ball past the timeline, initiate the offense, the bigs actually run a high post offense where they’re looking for each other, and we score often enough.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

ancsu87
    Participant

^ Same with me. Started following the year before DT was a freshman. Went to school during JV and the ’83 championship. I guess maybe I recall JV era wrong because in my mind it was a lot like Gott. A work in progress all year and then by ACCT time they were playing their best. Granted he was not on the bubble as much and had more talented teams at times but we never were a top 10 or even top 20 team from start to finish that I recall.

Greywolf
    Participant

Is it over? Can I open my eyes now?

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^^IIRC, V lost to an NAIA team the same season he had the team in the Elite 8 (’85) 🙂

Totally agree on the ‘build to March’ similarity.

choppack1
    Participant

Great game today. When we get our inside guys involved we can play with anyone.

Great gameplan and execution today.

Channeling my inner-Bill the team “GOTT” the message he delivered vs. Cincy. Hopefully ship has been righted and we are off the bad side of the bubble to stay!

mak4dpak
    Participant

Gott in over his head? Where are you guys today? Geat game, and great coaching by Gottfriend! Go Pack!

TheCOWDOG

Almost Chops. It’s not when they get the bigs involved…

It’s when the bigs get involved.

pakfanistan
    Participant

So many good things, but I nominate this for best thing from the game.

eas
    Participant

^^Pakfanistan

I could watch that over and over. Too funny!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Somebody said something different…

We made 33 baskets…
    Our Guards( Anthony, Lacey, Turner, Lee) made 15 …
    Our BIGs (KW, ABU, Anya, Martin, Freeman) made the other 18 …

We had 18 assists…
    Our Guards had 6 .. including Lacey who played most of the time at point guard who had Zero…
    Our BIGs had the other 12 …

We snagged 37 rebounds..
    Our Guards had 9 … (Lacey and Anthony who had been averaging 10 rebs a game got 5 )
    Our BIGs grabbed the other 28 …

Our BIGs got inside Okafor and Jefferson’s heads to the point that Jefferson took himself out of the game …
    and Okafor, while getting his numbers, did not control the game as has been the case most of the season…

… and None of our BIGs missed a minute of PT in the rotation due to foul trouble…

That’s getting “Involved”… in a “BIG” way …

Now … I don’t know how many times we will see these kinds of numbers duplicated… maybe a half dozen at most… but I don’t think we will see any more games like the worst one of December from KW, ABU, Anya & Freeman …

KW is clearly the “spiritual leader on the baseline”, but good numbers can come from any of them. The Twins are coming on fast and it ain’t going to be easy for opposing coaches to game plan us…

While we are talking BIG… a shoutout to Freeman… the silent workhorse, no fuss, no noise, just getting it done whatever way the Coach asks…

The double team on Okafor might have challenged the BIGs and GOTT their juices flowing and it’s success certainly transferred to the offensive end, but the only other significant change in strategy was that Lacey played most of the time at the point until he went down with the cramps, something we surely will see more of… (PG Lacey… not cramps)

But don’t think GOTT is going to give up on making Anthony an ALL ACC guard who can play either point or wing … ain’t gonna happen… they’re tight…

We could express our thanks to Coach for a great pre-game pep talk, but really…
    How hard is it to “get up” when you’re playing the Number Two Team in the Nation in your house, who is located only 20 minutes up the road and whose Names you read in your paper (online or otherwise) 365 …

If anything… Coach told ’em … they needed to ‘calm down’ and just play ball…

… that is… right after he told them that the Dookies were young too and a bunch of pretty boy – prima donnas felines ( not exactly what Coach said ) and if they hit them hard enough and enough times, they would make the game …. “Marqueasy” …

(… the unconfirmed rumor is Coach DD texted the ‘suggested’ pregame speech to GOTT early this morning… )

Either way… Great Game Coach !!

Now … have you GOTT Two in a Row ?

We really, really want to see you slap Uncle Roy on the a$$…
    That would be worth a dollar.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    blpack
    Participant

Great win! Let’s enjoy the W and then get ready for U*NC. Go Pack!

Adventuroo
    Participant

Was watching from the Champions Club on the Bench side. Our seats are in 214 on the front and we look almost straight down the sideline.

The security guys chased out the Cheerleaders with about 5 to go. Then they started to pull chairs or the folding rows. They appeared to be setting up an “secured” exit for the Dukies…..which was good planning.

They probably should have been setting up on for the Refs. I hate to complain….but it SURE seemed like the Refs were trying to protect their point spread bets. If you watched the fouls, we got out share…..quickly in the 2nd half and it looked like Duke was going to win from the line….which they did outscore us by 10 points.

THEN, security tried to stop the “Herd”. After the rush (melee) was over….the crowd had toppled the seats (folded them DOWN….don’t know if they were SUPPOSED to fold that way…but they did). The entire section from the Backboard Post to the sideline (left….the scorer/team side) were trampled. Looked like it was “neatly” done from a distance….but the poor chairs that were laying on their sides with the legs sticking up did not appear to be real happy.

I have watched about 10 or “floor rushes” from this area….and this is the FIRST (as I recall) where the fans just walked OVER the seats.

Great game…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

‘Roo…

You left out the part about Coach GOTT wearing a white shirt today…

… you don’t think that had anything to do with us winning do you ?

Just send him an email and tell him to wear the same damn shirt Wednesday night … ok?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wufpacker
    Participant

‘Roo…

You left out the part about Coach GOTT wearing a white shirt today…

I’ll admit to being surprised by this as well.

Tau837
    Participant

Cody was awesome today. I was surprised Caleb only played 2 minutes. I realize Anya, Turner, and Cody all played well, and that was no doubt part of it, since there are only so many minutes to go around… but I was still surprised he played so little. Was it just how well the others were playing?

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I’ll admit to being surprised by this as well.

Haha, I was waiting for the ‘white shirt / blue shirt’ analysis 🙂 (I don’t mean anything derogatory by that ‘Roo, just get a kick out of the shirt discussion).

Tau – re: Caleb’s minutes – in my opinion (which is completely worthless!) it had more to do with the others playing well and how the matchups were going. Cody was so effective with his minutes on the floor that he probably ate into some minutes that twin bro might ordinarily get.

I like the way the rotation is setting up, particularly if we continue to see improved efficiency from the bigs. As much as HWSNBN used to harp on ‘interchangeable parts’, this team really does have a mix of guys who can step up and attack different game variations. The huge bonus is that there seems to be great chemistry on the team, and on any given night there might be a true mix-match for success.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Oregon State just beat Arizona. Rutgers downed Wisconsin earlier.

Combine those games with our result and three top 10 teams went down in the same day. It could be an exceptionally wild March upcoming.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.