Selection Sunday Post-Mortem

Home Forums All StateFansNation Selection Sunday Post-Mortem

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    mak4dpak
    Participant

Men home, but the ladies still dancing on Friday in Austin, Texas. Congrats!

Adventuroo
    Participant

Totally agree. Congratulations to the Lady Pack. I was a bit taken aback at the #6 Seed. Only Cuse was lower. We did have a LOT of top Team wins. Just saw Coach Moore on TV and he was a bit miffed at the lower seed also….but at LEAST we were invited. Last year we put on our finery, had our hair done, new nails, push up bra and “other enhancements”. Date NEVER did show up. He would have had a HELLUVA time if only he had called…

SO, you go to TX and FIGHT IT OUT….The ladies, based on the “Watch” video that WRAL ran were truly excited…..as well they should be. Great for our super 4 Seniors.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I never pay much attention to the NIT, but we should probably pay attention to the #1 seeds since we can draw a line between those four and the four playing in Dayton in the First Four.

This year’s NIT #1 seeds were Cal, Illinois St, Iowa, and Syracuse…all of which were in the opening/closing table of 15 teams to consider.

I finally went back and checked on the four teams that I was choosing for my last pick and 3 of those 4 made the NCAAT. Illinois was the one that I was considering that didn’t make the NCAAT and got a #2 seed in the NIT. I would have picked Illinois before Syracuse…but obviously the NIT Selection Committee thought differently.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster
    DFMo
    Participant

VaWolf,

just my thanks for such a quality blog post. Taking away the names and playing the stats game was compelling. I thought I’d glance over lunch and ended up spending 15 min or more pouring over the details and analysis. A little more challenging on an iPhone.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Thanks. I’ve done one of these for several years and am not sure the best format. If work schedule allows next year, I may do this in two parts. Blind picks before the show and the answers after the selection committee gives them to us.

choppack1
    Participant

DFMO. – VaWolf will have you prepped for selection Sunday. Thanks to him, I know what to expect on that day…and realize that lunardi is talking out of his bohonkus half the time

44rules
    Participant

Bill and Roo, take care getting those things dialed in. Dad got a pacemaker, never got better and didn’t make it. Prayers for you continued good health.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I just sorted the table of 15 teams by Pomeroy (don’t know why I didn’t think about this earlier) and the six highest teams in the list got at-large bids. USC got the last bid in our group of teams and is way down the list of Pomeroy rankings. (USC was one of my final four choices for my last slot of 5 selections.)

Pomeroy didn’t like Providence either which wasn’t in the list of 15 discussed above.

USC – with an RPI ranking of 42, their overall resume is very similar to WF(#38)…a few good wins and little to be embarrassed about. Not surprising that both ended up in the First Four.

With six top 50 wins, Providence ranked higher on the Dance Card than on the Selection Committee’s list or Pomeroy Rankings.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Makes you wonder if the Pomeroy rankings are gaining purchase with the committee, fo sho.

And of course, Comrade Roo-vich has great benefit of Strong Soviet pacemaker technology, so he should be able to have all the potato vodka he wants!

Pack78
    Participant

But is the Soviet pacemaker powered by a Samsung battery?

Adventuroo
    Participant

Problematico….

Due to Flu and Sinus infection that delayed Pacemaker implant, my alcohol input was terminated….DW Rules….you know the rest.

Since January 26, have had two mixed (restaurant) cocktails and one glass of Merlot. Remember the old joke about the Crocagator….How do he Defecate? He DON’T….That what make him so MEAN…. Same applies for low alcohol blood levels.

However, thanks to those that expressed concerns. Ticker Chip has been turned down a bit. Still needs some tweaking. But Energy Level and such are back to 2007 levels….

Gonna go to Vegas in April and do the 2 day Ron Fellows Corvette Performance Driving School. Aerobic capacity well above normal. Walking 1.5 miles per day has cut down on bulge…..DW says it is the LACK of Alcohol. Having said that, I was maybe 4 “measured” drinks per week….so don’t put me in the AA 12 Steps program…

I will NOT release my tax returns…..and I know where my “client” copy is as my DW does them….no matter how much pressure the MSM and Social Media exerts….

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Makes you wonder if the Pomeroy rankings are gaining purchase with the committee

Maybe, but USC and Providence make me wonder about cause and effect. Based on actions and quotes in past years, I’m convinced that the Committee pays attention to SOS ranking (good and bad) when dealing with the bubble. Pomeroy – not so much.

I would really like to know what the Committee said about Iowa and Syracuse behind closed doors. A lot of Top-50 wins countered by a bunch of bad losses and really bad RPI. You have to wonder if there’s an RPI line that they just don’t want to go beyond.

For all of the whining about Wichita St, Pomeroy rankings, and poor seeding, I haven’t heard a single media type bring up Pomeroy’s ranking for them last year. It seems like the #12 team in the country would do better than just a win in the Round of 64.

I have no doubt that Ken can defend his algorithm when looking at all of college basketball. But like a lot of population statistics, norms mean a lot less when you are talking about an individual. Margin of Victory skews power rankings of Wichita St just like Strength of Schedule skews the RPI ranking of Wake Forest. Who you beat matters to the Selection Committee and it makes sense to me.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Yeah, and as such I’m not surprised Wake was given a “prove it” seed nor that they did not.

K State is pretty tough.

choppack1
    Participant

Roo – best of luck to you.

Regarding Wake – word on the street is that gott was the deacs Defensive consultant last night.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.