Saturday’s best & highlights of State’s win at Georgia Tech

Home Forums All StateFansNation Saturday’s best & highlights of State’s win at Georgia Tech

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Before you get going here, you should click here for some great stuff on the Wolfpack’s dramatic, 81-80 overtime win at Georgia Tech. The following is
    [See the full post at: Saturday’s best & highlights of State’s win at Georgia Tech]

lawful
    Participant

Has anyone seen how Archie Miller’s team looks? Let’s hit up Shaka again. Love the pressing style and you know he could recruit better here than VCU.

ncsu1987
    Participant

Just watched the GT game on replay. Have to say, looked like Gott was working his tail off during the game. I like feisty Gott, loved seeing him in some faces when the team was obviously deviating from the plan.

I remember some comments after the ND game that good teams don’t blow 18 pt leads under any circumstances, and, more specifically, that such incompetence is entirely attributable to the coach. On that basis, I’m waiting anxiously for UNC to fire their HOF coach in the wake of the Louisville game.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I remember some comments after the ND game that good teams don’t blow 18 pt leads under any circumstances, and, more specifically, that such incompetence is entirely attributable to the coach. On that basis, I’m waiting anxiously for UNC to fire their HOF coach in the wake of the Louisville game.

^Hahaha – I’m sure someone(s) demanded as much on IC after that game.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Reminds me of the saying, “you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make em drink it.”

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Next-day thoughts:

WTNY is the official flagship of the Wolfpack Sports Network. Be sure to tune into the summer season previews!

As for yesterday this was a game that we won that we should have lost that we should have won.

Anya seemed really improved in the beginning of this season and has regressed a bit in conference play. I think he has a good future. After all, this staff turned Jordan Vandenburg into a serviceable center. If JV was not the dictionary definition of what a project player is, I am not sure who is. So that said, the jury is still out on BJ.

Abu is the real deal, but he needs to spend his summer shooting 500-1000 free throws a day until he can make 8 of 10. That and working on his footwork and positioning…but that’s most any freshman who isn’t a lock for the NBA Lottery in the summer.

Same for the Martin twins. These guys are ballers but they have to improve a little bit on their defensive positioning and footwork to stay out of foul trouble. That’s not anything out of the ordinary for a frosh player. Wait until they are juniors, they will be hell to play against.

Cat Barber is the most mercurial player we have had in a long time. Sometimes he can’t hit the side of the barn with his shot, others he can’t miss. He is, however, the best defender on the team.

Derek Whittenberg needs to teach Gottfried some of Valvano’s junk defenses. Think a box and one with Barber man to man on Georges-Hunt with the rest of the team in a zone might have helped yesterday?

I realize you are being sarcastic, but Roy does not have that happen to him consistently.

JeremyH
    Participant

I didn’t catch this game, but when I read the headline, I didn’t think we could be behind for that buzz beater. So once again, Lacey saves the day.

I commiserate with those that are disappointed that we find ourselves in this position repeatedly. Are we are top 40 rpi team? Or a top 85? I’m still concerned with our lack of concerted effort to get the ball in the paint and use ball movement to get a better shot; after games in which we executed as such, we started to turn the corner. This is the difference.

I believe the ND loss was a tough one to swallow and it carried over. That’s the reason for Clemson. And GT plays everyone tough. Our schedule is backloaded with road games for our freshman to get used to. Quite erratic, but these guys are trying to fight,learn through it.

inhoc…
    Participant

I realize you are being sarcastic, but Roy does not have that happen to him consistently.

Exactly. You’re making a comparison to a team that is constantly in the top 25 and already has a tourney resume’. I don’t see your logic in applying that to state when we are barely on the bubble and lost THREE games in a row(in DERP fashion mind you). Every team is going to have a loss occasionally. IMHO that’s a pretty ignorant comparison.

And again this was another game where state was up 15 points and found itself down 4 points with less than 30’second to go. Good on the tee palm for getting the W, but again way was state in a situation of having to foul and bank on GT missing free throws in the final seconds after being up 15?

PackofMac
    Participant

Mark Gottfried regardless of what any of you think after that win yesterday has shown time and time again he is not the best strategic coach nor does any of his teams EVER seem to run offensive sets with any consistency. As a State fan I am glad we won, I wasn’t watching and do not expect to watch as I have seen enough to last me for a while. Of course great coaches are involved with teams that occasionally blow large leads, happens to everyone. Our problem is it has happened at least three times now in one season and that’s me more than likely forgetting a game or two. I like everything about Coach Gott. except the fact our offenses look miserable, our defense has never produced turnovers and our free throw shooting doesn’t seem to fair much better. Either we have the most hard headed kids in the nation that refuse to ever run a play that the coach calls or draws up some of our problems lie solely on the coaching staff. Get excited and fall in love all over again if you wish after yesterdays game. Our problems…in my opinion, will not go away unless I’m totally wrong about Gottfried.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

GT kid gets one shot for free pizza. UVA kid gets 18 seconds for $18,000. If I’m the GT kid, I’m transferring next year.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Exactly. You’re making a comparison to a team that is constantly in the top 25 and already has a tourney resume’. I don’t see your logic in applying that to state when we are barely on the bubble and lost THREE games in a row(in DERP fashion mind you). Every team is going to have a loss occasionally. IMHO that’s a pretty ignorant comparison.

And it could be argued that we would already have a solid tournament resume had we closed the deal on most of those games we basically gave away.

Again, yes, it does it does happen from time to time, but this has turned into a foolish consistency on our part. It is unacceptable, because it is the difference between being a good team and not being a serious tournament consideration.

44rules
    Participant

Was at the game, and like everybody saw, first half was night and day from the second. We actually looked like an offense in the first half. More high-low action than I’ve seen in a while, working the ball inside, passing out of the post and then back in. Kyle and Abu seemed to be getting comfortable working together.

Then in the second half two guards pass the ball back and forth on the perimeter or dribble it away. And Kyle reverts to pretty much taking only the longest 2-point shots possible. It truly is frustrating. Don’t know if I’ll drive up for the Clemson game.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Tau837
    Participant

WTF with Turner guarding Georges-Hunt in late game situations? Every other perimeter player on the team would have been a better choice.

lawful
    Participant

Every team is going to have a loss occasionally. IMHO that’s a pretty ignorant comparison.

I believe our losses are quite a bit more than “occasionally”. It seems like the worst thing that can happen to our teams are double digit leads. I would be interested to know how many double digit leads his teams have given up, win or lose.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Lawful,

Please make out your check to “NC AD Fire GOTT Fund”. There MAY be 50 (and that is a stretch) folks that regularly post BB stuff. So, if the majority of them decided it is time to BUY OUT Coach G, then your far share will be…

$45,000 or Forty-Five Thousand Dollars. Don’t know if this donation will be tax deductible or not?

If I am wrong in my estimate and it is 100, then it will only cost you $22,500.

Coach G has 3 years left (after this season) @$750 K (base – Guaranteed)….so that is $2,225,000….

You will also need to get consensus from the other 49 or 99 to include a check.

Shaka would not doubt be more popular with the recruits….but what is his resume on NBA drafted players? His wife is also still in the “I told YOU, once, that I was NOT moving to Raleigh or any other place” mode. You will need to personally convince her that Raleigh is better than Richmond (VCU Campus.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

Gottfried is not leaving this year or next. He’s not going to get fired, short of a scandal. And not too many folks are saying that he should get the sack — what I see and here is disappointment in the tendencies of his teams. That’s a long way from the heated debates of yore over HWSNBN.

But…barring improvement, it’s not that difficult to see Debbie Yow not offering an extension until things do start looking up. That’s her call, though, and it won’t be made any time soon.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

check that… ‘Roo… :>}

fwiw… VCU is in Petersburg, not Richmond…
    doesn’t really make any difference to folks living in the valley of humility…
    but those living on the north mountain of conceit consider it damned !important…

… kinda like confusing Cary and Raleigh-ITBW…

Anybody that thinks GOTT is going anywhere not on his volition… is an idiot…
    Our current coaching staff is as good as any in the league except maybe one…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

VCU is in Petersburg, not Richmond…

It is in downtown Richmond. Virginia State is in Petersburg.

lawful
    Participant

Roo,

What does someone’s resume regarding NBA drafted players have to do with a college basketball team?

PackFamily
    Participant

Anybody that thinks GOTT is going anywhere not on his volition… is an idiot…Our current coaching staff is as good as any in the league except maybe one…

Bill, I want Gott to succeed and think he can take us to heights not seen since V.

Having said that, you may have just lost me. You’re saying Gott and staff are better than all but one of:
    Pitino, K, Boeheim, RW, even Bennett?

And if I disagree, i am the idiot?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^reading is not optional…

“as good” not ‘better’…

you pick one…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^reading is not optional…

“as good” not ‘better’…
    “our coaching staff” not just “Coach Gott”

you pick one…

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Oh how I wish there was evidence to support this ridiculous claim.

PackFamily
    Participant

^^ Bill, no real difference.

^82, I was quoting BOTB

Sorry, something got messed up with the nested quotes
    VaWolf82

Wulfpack
    Participant

I wouldn’t even know how to objectively evaluate this claim. How much weight do you give the head guy, and then on down?

If this statement is true, then I would expect our supporting cast to be nothing short of Herculean.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.