Pssst…Redzone Offense. He’s 6’4″ Game Day Thread.

Home Forums All StateFansNation Pssst…Redzone Offense. He’s 6’4″ Game Day Thread.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Did any of you notice our starting RT was out both games? How about our starting LG moving to RT to cover there and then got dinged up a bit? Just wondered. Nobody mentioned it in the lamenting about no running game.

Our atrocious DBs pitched a shutout in the second half.

If you load the box to stop the run, you are giving something away like the passing game.

dont ever change

ryebread
    Participant

Grey: I hope the OL play improves, and it is due to injury. Last year I thought the line really improved over the year. I also think we have a “real” OL coach for the first time in a long time.

On the flip side, schematically we’re effectively conceding the run. Between all the throwing and Hines in the backfield, there’s really no threat inside except maybe a quick slant or crossing pattern. I think Gallaspy needs to go in the backfield and Hines to the edge.

Any thoughts on special teams?

Greywolf
    Participant

Did any of you notice our starting RT was out both games? How about our starting LG moving to RT to cover there and then got dinged up a bit? Just wondered. Nobody mentioned it in the lamenting about no running game.

Our atrocious DBs pitched a shutout in the second half.

If you load the box to stop the run, you are giving something away like the passing game.

dont ever change

If you mean become a cynical, smart-arsed, self-styled comedian like many on this board, I don’t intend to.

Don’t know how long you’ve been around but I doubt it was back when SFN was a place one could come to discuss or make comments of a serious nature about State athletics — pro and con, the good, the bad, the ugly.

POP!

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

^ I hope you dont go reaching for the razor blades when this retard gets fired. Its year 5 and you are still making excuses. At some point you need to look in the mirror.

rthomas44
    Participant

Rivers lost, Wilson lost, Glennon lost and Brissett lost. Hmm. What is the common factor? Just saying!

tractor57
    Participant

Teams with incredibly bad offensive lines?

BassPacker
    Participant

Dang, you must really be Gray GreyWolf !

TART!

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

No way us cynical idiots should expect a victory when someone on the team gets injured. I guess all the teams that beat us are always injury free! They’re so lucky!

One thing I’m just not understanding though. How can we have such an injury riddled team when your constantly hyping the strength and conditioning coach our team keeps on payroll?

At least Dave is building a culture though, right?

Pack1997
    Participant

Grey, I appreciate your opinion and certainly wish I could be as optimistic as you. The fact is we should be further along as a team. We have talent, yet we continue to have many of the same challenges year over year. If they get fixed we will have a decent season. If not, DD should be fired. If the past 4 years were any sign, we will be looking for a new coach at the end of the season.

WolfBlood86
    Participant

Why isn’t Gallaspy starting and getting more carries? His vision to find holes in the defense is amazing. He just “knows or “feels” where to go to get those extra few yards we need on drives. I understand Hines is fast and may have a higher chance of making long plays but most of the time he just hits the back of his own teammate and slows down until the defender(s) get him. I’d rather have a workhorse like Gallaspy starting and carrying the ball with Hines as a secondary role with his potential to make long plays in the open field.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

hey i just came up with a great idea! we should coach the backups to play football too!

ryebread
    Participant

Rivers lost, Wilson lost, Glennon lost and Brissett lost. Hmm. What is the common factor? Just saying!

To be fair, every team in FBS lost last year other than Clemson. If a loss is defined as the same thing as a loser, then everyone is a loser. The reality is a bit more nuanced than that.

rthomas44
    Participant

Actually I was referring to the 1st NFL weekend. And it was offered in jest.

choppack1
    Participant

This is why after a few years you need a season and some great wins to point to…because injuries do happen, bad calls do happen and players fail to execute.

Good and bad breaks being what they are…they should all even out.

Here’s a question for us to ponder – what is DD’s record vs Power 5 teams in the 4th quarter when tied or trailing by 1 score or less.

I don’t know the answer but I am thinking he beat Syracuse in that situation but I cannot think of another example.

TheCOWDOG

Chops. That is the most sentient point of criticism in this whole damned follow up. Mostly, because it encapsulates the very mantra that is the cornerstone in my personal(And quite frankly any player or coach that’s ever been the part of excellence,) take on belief.

Now, they’ve come as close as a hubber-in-a horeshoe-pit against some really good teams, but no ringer…YET.

One loss in a new season is not gonna get the white towel from me.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

How would a loss to furman affect your tune?

TheCOWDOG

Jesushchristinasidecar, AT. Don’t you understand that, that doesn’t even enter my mind. But you’ve been part of this little section for as long as I…so I’ll answer.

WTF do you think I’d think!

TheAliasTroll
    Participant
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I’m with Mr. Dog on this one…

Win some games you shouldn’t win and everything else sorta takes care of itself…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    choppack1
    Participant

I haven’t thrown in the towel either. History has shown that some coaches who stink at prep are great in the game and vice versa. I always thought Mack Brown was a horrid coach once the ball kicked off.

In general, coaches are like people…flawed individuals who have strengths and weaknesses. Florida State looms large but alas we can’t overlook the paladins. (Though we should win this game by 45+.)

ryebread
    Participant

We’re not losing to Furman, though I wouldn’t put a dime on a spread either. We just need to beat ND. There are numerous winnable games on the ACC slate — BC, Syracuse, UNC and Pitt to start with. WF is a toss up because they clearly have improved and FEU could be that elusive “punching up” victory we need.

I judge coaches on 4 criteria:
    – Are the base requirements of the job — graduating players, handling the media, running a clean program, dealing with the boosters — being met. These are table stakes. Don’t do them and be gone (at least in my book).
    – Beat the teams you should beat.
    – Trend line on overall record.
    – Ability to punch up a weight class.

Granted this is related to another sport, but these were the criteria of why I liked Archie so much. And I liked him well before last year and wanted him to get the shot at trying to maximize DSJ, not Gott. Alas we were nit proactive enough.

gso packbacker
    Participant

Totally agree Rye. It’s not that hard, is it? 🙂

A follow up on a post from a few weeks ago about our the number of our conference wins (or lack thereof) is colorfully presented and compared against all of the other schools. Green is good, red is bad. Anyway, sums up what I have always known to be true.
    ACC Football: Conference Wins by School (1984-2016)

gso packbacker
    Participant
    mak4dpak
    Participant

Chop: You would be correct on the game scores, but when I realized my error, I could not edit. But my point being I don’t think USC or Marshall were pushovers. Sure we need improvement but we can still have a great season.

TheCOWDOG

May I add that you just can’t go around throwing win margins for so many reasons.

Sh#t, with the conference schedule on the loom, comfortable would be enough, if I had the reins.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.