Pssst…Redzone Offense. He’s 6’4″ Game Day Thread.

Home Forums All StateFansNation Pssst…Redzone Offense. He’s 6’4″ Game Day Thread.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    TheCOWDOG

Once you get to the stage…the belief comes from your head coach,first.

Fastback68
    Participant

DD almost choked on his cupcake

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^^ Double Dog….

Good night gents!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tractor57
    Participant

I’m of the Al Davis ilk here – just win baby. Had the ‘Pack done that last weekend they would be 2-0 now and would be making some noise nationally. Can;t fix that but the ‘Pack can move forward.

PackofMac
    Participant

Missing opportunities to win big time games by losing, struggling with teams we shouldn’t, mind boggling calls…1 and 1. What has changed? Is this progression? Where is Mclendon? Where are the sacks? Where is the defensive line made up of four first rounders??? Chubb records one sack and he dances around like he just shut down Tom Brady. God bless you who were at the game, I am thankful I wasn’t

etab4u
    Participant

I listened to the radio broadcast on a drive back from a funeral. A win is a win.
    We continued our half to half history of malaise and competence. That being said I was encouraged by the second half. It sounded like we wore them down by the end of the game. That’s not likely to happen against deeper opponents. So we obviously have a lot of work to do to put a whole game together.

What happened to the running game? Do we miss Dayes that much? I like Hines as a quick back and Gallaspy is big enough for a power running game. We still had issues getting short yardage when we need it.
    Defense. Overall we got the job done in the end, which is good. However, even Gott would be proud of the way we can give an opponents player a career game. The announcers were able to pick up when we were blitzing before the play – obviously Marshall was too. Need to help out the secondary with pressure. Finally got that at the end, but in obvious passing situations.
    Lots of other thoughts but I’ve got to do some storm prep…

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Had the ‘Pack done that last weekend they would be 2-0 now and would be making some noise nationally

And if “nonchalant” Dave had never lost a game in his tenure here we’d be national champs!

rthomas44
    Participant

I’m happy for the win, but I don’t think anyone is impressed. A lot of coaching to be done to improve the outcome.

packalum44
    Participant

Score is misleading. We did not play demonstrably better than Marshall. Lucky to have penalty calls go our way.

Very very very easy to scheme around ONE strength (d-line).

Concerns:
    – Secondary is atrocious.
    – Linebackers are average. (Why did they receive pre-season hype? Matriculating to seniors doesn’t magically increase athleticism.)
    – Defensive coordinator is bad.
    – O-line is awful. Unable to run-block against Marshall…really?
    – Nyheim is the worst primary back we’ve had since the 90s. Start Gallaspsy.

Positives:
    – Kelvin Harmon is a pro.
    – Stephen Louis is a solid second option.
    – Jaylen Samuels lives up to hype.
    – Finley is pretty good (though I don’t see pro-caliber).

Assuming no improvement my updated outlook on the season is 5-7. ND, Louisville, FS and Clemson are losses. Then we are 50/50 against BC, Wake, UNC and Pitt. I’ll give us Syracuse.

Look forward to another coaching search soon!

etab4u
    Participant

Another coaching search. Groundhog Day.

TheCOWDOG

I don’t think the score was at all misleading, and it’s nice to see P44, back.

Marshall has more than a handful of good, castoff athletes. Anybody mention that they were pitched a shutout for the entire second half?

Look. There are glaring, unresolved issues with the foot in football, no doubt.

I have no idea what jack nuts speak of regarding play calls out of this game…seriously.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I don’t think the score was at all misleading, and it’s nice to see P44, back.

Marshall has more than a handful of good, castoff athletes. Anybody mention that they were pitched a shutout for the entire second half?

Look. There are glaring, unresolved issues with the foot in football, no doubt.

I have no idea what jack nuts speak of regarding play calls out of this game…seriously.

Can I complain about punting from the 39?

TheCOWDOG

Yes, Paki. Bitch til the cows come home, when DD punts from the opponent 39.

PackofMac
    Participant

We are worse than last year, zero doubt. We need to be creative on offense and fire Hux immediately on defense. We’ll do neither….I hope we do what we do and play to the level of our opponents and win some games. How we get 5 wins is beyond my imagination. Oh yeah, Cam Newton still can’t throw a football into the Atlantic Ocean from Johnny Mercer Pier.

ryebread
    Participant

Good game in that we won. If DD finds 7 more like it, he’s clearly back next year. I want State to win, so I’m happy and am doubly happy that UNC lost (though Jackson is putting up big number against us too).

Thoughts:
    – Special teams are anything but special, unless it is in a short bus kind of way.
    – We’re going to live and die by the pass. Fine against a good chunk of the schedule but it is going to be ugly against Clemson or FSU. I miss balance on offense.
    – Secondary……. is not good.
    – For once we came out and won the second half!
    – Gallaspy need to be starting in the backfield with JSam and Hines needs to be in the slot for quick hitters.
    – I wish we’d ditch the 4-2-5. Heck, this year we might be better off in a 5-2.

Pack1997
    Participant

After two games, most of our issues are issues I mentioned in the off season. All I heard was how much better we were going to be because the offense was competing with this great defense. The glass half full folks wanted to point to our defense line. I pointed to us missing almost the entire secondary with average linebackers. The secondary and d-line rely on each other, so when one sucks the other is going to look much worse too. Add in a D coordinator who doesn’t learn from his mistakes and we are in for a world of hurt.

As for offense, The line is actually worse than it was actually worse than it was last year. Finley has no internal clock in his head and hangs on to the ball too long. There are positives and negatives for that. I was wrong about our WR as they have come along way.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Always room for improvement. On the bright side after beating ourselves vs. USC. The gamecocks manhandled Mizzou. As for Marshall, they had a close win vs. Austin Peay, who manhandled a usually good Cincy team. So I will remain optimistic, get some of our starters back on defense, and let our 2 DBs, who only had 3 starts at the position, gain some more experience, then we can still have that promising season we hoped for. No guarantees, but not an impossibility.

ryebread
    Participant

There’s no transitive property in sports. It is how one team plans another, in the conditions of the day, on the day. NC State almost beat Clemson last year who crushed Ohio State in the playoff game. Would NC State have handily or even beaten Ohio State last year? I’m going with no. There’s about as much to be taken from that as State beating Marshall who beat Austin Peay who……..

I don’t get why people pin the D on Hux. This is seemingly a situation where the head man is clearly involved in the defense. It’s part (not all, recruiting was a big one) of why the OC was fired after the disappointing bowl game. The head man is clearly involved in setting the direction, and may even be involved in the play calling. If you hate Hux, then you seemingly hate DD. DD is seemingly a solid guy, and probably realizes that firing Hux would only be finding a scapegoat. He’d probably do it to save his own hide, but it would come with such scrutiny that he’d basically be down to his last lifeline.

Did anyone hear the post game report? There are rumblings that DD didn’t realized we’d missed a PAT…………..

mak4dpak
    Participant

Again, my closing statement was no guarantees, but not an impossibility. Is the glass half full, or half empty? We all have our opinions.

choppack1
    Participant

Fwiw it’s worth, Marshall beat Miami of Ohio, who BEAT Austin Peay.

Lots of thoughts here:
    1. The DL has been like they were last year…outstanding against the run, challenged against the pass and qb’s who can pass.
    2. The db lost a starter who will soon return. He was our only returning CBC starter. Predictions are made without injury information if they occur after the predictions.
    3. The kicking game has predictably struggled. DD took the same approach to it this year that he did last year- signing a small school grad school kicker and go figure, results are the same, if NOT worse.
    4. Running game misses dayes.
    5. Game day coaching/motivation/confidence remains the same

ryebread
    Participant

Chop: I think it about sums it up. I would say that QB and WR play is better up to this point, but it was good in the non-conference slate last year as well. The passing game has better be good though because we’re really not trying to find any balance. Until we do, we will struggle in short yardage situations or the red zone. Our lack of a kicking game will only make it worse.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I don’t see much point in trying to break it down with what went wrong, discussing schemes, coordinators, etc. Flat out point blank we have a apprehensive, emotionless junior coach. We’re not going to be having any special seasons under this guy. We’re seeing his ceiling here at NC State.

My Prediction: It’s going to be another boring ho hum year while the fans and/or players get thrown under the bus by the captain of this monotonous ship.

Greywolf
    Participant

Did any of you notice our starting RT was out both games? How about our starting LG moving to RT to cover there and then got dinged up a bit? Just wondered. Nobody mentioned it in the lamenting about no running game.

Our atrocious DBs pitched a shutout in the second half.

If you load the box to stop the run, you are giving something away like the passing game.

Greywolf
    Participant

The SC game may have been disappointing but it was far from monotomous. Same could be said for Marshall game.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Excuses are like…..

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.