Pack Men BBall v. UNC-G 12/22/15

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Pack Men BBall v. UNC-G 12/22/15

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

Wufpacker….

It’s GOTT nothing to do with changing the damn title…

I know you can read… can you listen ?

People, not just me, are trying to tell ya’ll something….

Figure it out!

Please bill, I’m all ears….
    Tell me, and all of us, of all the things which, in your estimation, are wrong with the site. More importantly, tell me what are your solutions, because otherwise it’s pointless. Don’t come to me with problems, come to me with solutions.

And while you’re doing that, understand that everyone who posts here has a different opinion of what’s wrong, and like you also hasn’t even considered how to fix those things, or how to please all people.

This isn’t a business, bill. Nobody here gets paid, this isn’t anyone’s job. So don’t ever again presume to tell me what to post or when to post it.

We’re a bunch of folks who all love NC State. Different people, different opinions. Lots of disagreements.

And occasionally, some grandstanding over something petty. Like you did tonight.

It’s all good, we’re family, we forgive each other.

Rick
    Keymaster

So is it really accurate to say ‘all you get is bashing’?

Well, we got it after a WIN over High Point. Just from a few, that’s my point.
    Glad you got your score, Becton:)

I an going to argue confirmation bias and drop this discussion. You have your opinion and I disagree.

redisgood
    Participant

I have sat through every second of every home game, and watched every second of the away games on TV. My prognosis – we are going to get annihilated in the ACC. If we were playing Duke, or Carolina, or Virginia, Louisville, Miami, or FSU, we would have been down by 30 at the half. Our defense is getting better, but unfortunately, other than Cat we have no scorers. We have a few shooters, but they don’t get the scoring part of the shooting. That was a terrible team we just played, and we had to fight like crazy to just eke out a win.

We lost our second best scoring option early in the 1st game of the season, and that is killing us. We can enjoy one more game until the real ugliness begins.

Rick
    Keymaster

Wufpacker,
    We don’t get paid? You mean I’m only doing this for the respect?

phcqmfd
    Participant

My ACC prediction 10 wins

Rick
    Keymaster

So is it really accurate to say ‘all you get is bashing’?

Well, we got it after a WIN over High Point. Just from a few, that’s my point.
    Glad you got your score, Becton:)

I’m going to all one more question. Are you suggesting we squash all postings you don’t think are positive enough?

Wufpacker
    Participant

Wufpacker,

LMAO…that’s the business model.
    Doesn’t seem to be working out well for anyone lately though, huh?

Rick
    Keymaster

Wufpacker,

LMAO…that’s the business model.
    Doesn’t seem to be working out well for anyone lately though, huh?

Yeah apparently everyone is mad someone on the internet doesn’t agree with them.

Wufpacker
    Participant

My ACC prediction 10 wins

I would sign over my balls for 10 conf wins.
    Meh…it’s not as if I’m using them.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

It’s all good, we’re family, we forgive each other.

Wuf…

I’ll take that as your apology… of a sort…
    back at you… ‘bro…

Now…
    there is no good business reason SFN cannot be a profitable enterprise for it’s owners …

the rest, including the steps necessary to rebuild SFN quality and traffic — which I think everyone agrees are at all time lows — and get to that point might be best discussed privately…

or not…

Why don’t you start a thread entitled “How to fix SFN?”

or just change the sitename to ….

“State Fans Desert Island… the website formerly known as State Fans Nation” …

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

My opinion:

Nothing at all wrong with the site or the postings.

Heck, I’ve tried to drum up some interest in some other topics, but either no one is reading or no one cares. Fine.

The football team had a so so year, after some thought would be a break through year. Didn’t happen. What’s worse is our hated rival did. Sanctions coming or not, they had the year we all wanted. We also play in the same division as Clemson and FSU. Kind of hard to make any headway there as those programs got it rolling.

The basketball team, thus far, is not very good. Yes, we will most certainly struggle in league play. No, Gott should not be fired.

Be sure to kiss each other goodnight. Tomorrow is a new day.

tractor57
    Participant

It is a sign of a problem (maybe the team, maybe the site) when in a game thread all that is really discussed is the nature of the posts positive or negative. I remember the day when there was actual discussion of the game – even a just before the holiday non conference game. Maybe it is expectations have been raised to a level that has not been met, maybe it is the back biting pro and con. Regardless I find I spent less time checking this site and am getting to the point of avoiding game threads. The answer? I have no idea – maybe the model this site was based on is faltering.
    At it’s best this site is both informative and funny. At its worst it is like pig wrestling.

tjfoose1
    Participant

It’s no longer a fan support site. It’s become a place to bash NC State Athletic teams and coaches, and those who refuse to do so.

That, and a place where a select few choose to express an attitude and arrogance not so dissimilar from a power mad HOA or a coward with a badge and a gun, only from the safety and security that exists behind a keyboard.

THAT is what has killed the traffic on this site.

Wufpacker
    Participant

bill, you should not take anything I’ve written as an apology. But nice try.

If you’d like to start a thread on how to fix SFN, so that you might get some input into something you bitch about, but have given no real thought to, feel free. You have my word that I won’t shut it down.

You see, I don’t censor anything here, in spite of yours and other people’s assertions at times, unless those things are inflammatory towards other posters, or thread titles are abiguous/confusing. When I edited your title tonight I didn’t even know who had started the thread. I was merely trying to make it more clear for all users of the site. You decided to take it personally.

You think you’re the first person to bitch about me editing their poorly thought out thread title? Puhlease.

If you’d care to do some group therapy on how to improve things around these parts, and as long as you aren’t inflammatory or ambiguous (seriously, if you try you can do it) I won’t interfere. Obviously, you need suggestions from others to collect your thoughts.

I can’t speak for the other mods, however.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I do believe teh ‘foose has nailed it.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Nothing at all wrong with the site or the postings.

Door Number Three….

oh well…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    redisgood
    Participant

I don’t know if they showed this on TV, but before the game Debbie Yow made a presentation to Gott for his 100th win. The players were in the layup line at the time, and not a single one turned to watch, and none of them applauded at the end. Maybe that’s normal, but I thought it was unusual.

Wufpacker
    Participant

^ I missed the early part of the broadcast, as well as parts throughout.
    But I agree, that does seem a bit odd on its surface.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Cat Barber passed a milestone tonight.
    He now has 1,002 career points scored.

xphoenix87

I haven’t read the whole thread, which is apparently fraught with drama, but as usual here are a few (hopefully constructive and insightful) thoughts:

– Obviously, this was a real horror show. It’s as bad as the offense has looked all season against a truly terrible UNCG team. The off-ball movement was non-existent, and Caleb and Maverick both played their worst games of the season. As bad as it gets without an L
    – We kept entering the ball into the post and then doing absolutely nothing to exploit the matchup advantage. UNCG was sending doubles, and by and large Anya actually did a really good job being patient when they sent the trap. The problem is that absolutely no one was moving. There were no passing lanes, there were no cutters through the lane, there was no relocating on the perimeter. We threw it in and watched. Unsurprisingly, this did not go well. When a terrible team is double teaming your post players every time, it is inexcusable to not get open three point looks out of it.
    – What continually frustrates me about this team (and it’s been true of all of Gottfried’s squads) is how hard we have to work for shots. Under Gottfried, State has consistently had good offenses, but they never look pretty. Tonight was the worst-case scenario of that. How many open layups did we get? 1? 2? How many open three pointers did we create? 2? Maybe 3? That’s crazy. It’s UNCG!
    – The defense was still bad this game, but UNCG is terrible so it didn’t matter as much. There were some really catastrophic breakdowns, particularly late in the second half.
    – Twice in the second half we made risky, unnecessary gambles that led to open shots. Once, it was Cat trying to double a big who had the ball at the top of the key. It was a risky decision, but the error was compounded when the big passed it to Baldwin (a terrible shooter) and whoever was guarding Troy (a good shooter) rotated hard to Baldwin. A simple swing pass led to a wide open 3 (the last shot UNCG made). It’s a combination of a bad gamble and then not recognizing personnel, and it led to an open 3 in a situation (up 6 w/ :30 left) where literally the most important thing for you to do is not give up an open 3. Good teams don’t do that. The other time was when UNCG got a turnover and Anya lunged forward to try and get a steal as the guard brought the ball up the court. It was a steal he was never going to get in a million years, and the result was that he was behind the play and they got an open layup in semi-transition.
    – Something that has plagued us this season showed up again in the second half. On one instance the ball was kicked out to a shooter in the corner, and both wing defenders in the area sprinted towards him. That made it an easy pass up to the wing for another wide open 3. I feel like I’ve seen that at least once in every game I’ve watched. It’s a problem with the scheme and players not knowing their role, and it’s a problem of communication. Again, it’s the kind of thing good defensive teams don’t do.
    – I wanted more Cody Martin in this game. Maybe he’s still recovering from that ankle sprain and they want to manage his minutes, but man we needed someone with a pulse on the wing. Rowan just isn’t good for much if he isn’t making shots, and Caleb lets his shooting impact other areas of his game too much. He wasn’t scoring tonight, so he wasn’t doing much else either. Cody didn’t have a good game, but he’s always active and doing things when he’s on the court. He makes an impact with rebounding and defense.
    – On a positive note, Cat’s game continues to progress and any hope we have of being a tournament team rests on his skinny shoulders. He’s looking really confident in that jumper, much more so than early in the season. If the pull-up three is a legitimate weapon for him, it takes his game to a completely different level. I would’ve liked to see a bit more aggressiveness getting to the rim/FT line from him in this game, but I’m nitpicking. He was great.
    – Also on a positive note, that’s the best offensive game Beejay has played. He looked much more composed in the post than he normally does, and made a couple very nice reads out of the double (his passes weren’t exactly on target, but the reads were right). If he can give us a little offense in the post going forward, that’s a huge deal. I’m hoping this is a confidence booster for him going forward.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Interesting Forum.

FWIW, I have been a little disappointed that there is not a game thread. It does NOT have to me anything more than what is posted on the Forum. Just a courtesy thread to kick it off. No videos, no pictures, NADA…..Just a place on the main page to post.

Getting to the forums on a Droid phone is the pits….and not having it pop up on the main screen is a turn off.

I see that the tenor of the game has had an impact on the discussions. FWIW, it was a LOUSY GAME. It was about a bad (or maybe UNX Ugly) W as you could get. I, too, have sat through every home game (for almost 10 years) and also this season and watched them when they were available online or on TV. This was UGLY and also DRAWN OUT. It seemed like forever during the second half.

Cat was the star of the game, offensively. Gott said in the post show that we played 35 minutes of D…quite WELL. But, we must have played it and then quit for 30 seconds….then again. We never took control. We let UNCG (Wes Miller of book writing and coaching fame) control the tempo.

Comments have been made about Caleb. His shot was ugly tonight. However, Gott was very complimentary of his Defense. He said that it is really easy when your shots are not falling to let that, mentally, impact your Defense and that Caleb did a great job.

If you thought that the Mizzou game was a “Rowan and Martin” revisit of Laugh In….then tonight…it was the best of the best. They could not hit diddly squat. It was the worst case of CHS (Can’t Hit Sfeces) that I have seen in a long time. I GUESS that we are streaky….and without Henderson, we don’t have all of the chambers loaded.

BUT, this pre-ACC stint has really been a learning experience for Cat. As critical as I have been of him in the past, he is showing a lot of poise. I never thought that he would be come the Lacey this year….that was Henderson’s role. Cat has saved our fanny more times that we can count.

Cody Martin also played well….as did the big men. They were dominant.

If you looked at the halftime stats, we had more rebounds than points. We also let UNCG OUTREBOUND US. They were hitting (or not hitting) WORSE than us.

FINALLY, the tone of the posts is becoming more negative. I tend NOT to come here as much. I DO, ocassionally, click on an ad. BUT, the AD’s are for stuff that I have already looked at or maybe even ordered. They are not inspiring….or appealing.

IT DOES SEEM like all you read is whine and gloom….I would NOT venture any real thoughts on “Why SFN Sucks”. That discussion reminds me of some of the college folks with an attitude that they MUST be in a “Protected” Bubble and the least little THOUGHT…God FORBID….WORD that they do not like is poison. I do wonder where some of them are going to find such a world when they finally matriculate and enter the REAL WORLD. Our educators are really letting us down.

I DO take exception to the comment about our LEO. I suspect that 99.9% of them are really top notch. That is sort of like our military. If you volunteer to defend our country, or to protect our citizens, or to make EMS calls or to fight fires, then you are one step above the average population. Calling ALL LEO cowards with Guns and a Badge is an insult and a disservice.

The media and the radicalized students are the ones that are a disgrace. I would like to see someone don a GoPro, with FULL audio, and then broadcast their day’s exploits on YouTube. I SUSPECT that they might have uttered a “discouraging word” or perhaps a comment that was NOT politically correct.

What is spooky….is the fact that the Ferguson Effect has made our cities more crime ridden….

In addition, our Political Correctnesss has also made our country less safe and more subject to attacks.

Even our President has played the “race” card by talking about Trump (whom I am a bit indifferent on) appealing to those White Redneck Blue Collar folks. You know the ones that cling to their guns and religion. Seems to me that when I watch the news and look at the Folks in other countries that CHEER when our citizens are killed. THEY cover their faces. They all have GUNS that they carry at all times. They CLING to their religion and pray several times a day.

Seems to me that he and our congress and the media ought to be talking about what is WRONG with them….and not our citizens. If you criticize someone for clinging to their guns and religion, then the Radicalized Islamic Folks fit that to a T….but I have not really heard those comments. SOME will not even dare use the Non-PC words of Radicalized and Islamic in a sentence.

IT is really too early to be posting….but the subject was opened up and each of us, like our rear orifices, have an opinion.

I certainly hope that Santa brings some team members their SHOT….instead of a lump of coal.

redisgood
    Participant

This team reminds me a lot of the VT team a couple of years ago. They had a very good PG in Eric Green who led the ACC in scoring and was league MVP. Despite that, they only won four games in the ACC and finished dead last. Unless something changes drastically over the next few weeks, we are pretty much headed in that direction.

Wulfpack
    Participant

5th ranked UVa survives Cal in OT.

Yep, Cat saves the day, again. No, it was not pretty, nor has it been really all season.

That is an interesting comparison redisgood. We look headed that way. But there are several teams that a worse than us. We’ll hover around 10th or so IMHO. Long way off from bubble land.

BassPacker
    Participant

I think the trend on this site reflects the trend of NC State athletics. Its hard to be positive about anything right now. And the frustration of it all comes out here. Maybe this site has become our “couch” and a place to vent. Coming off a lack luster football season right into an obvious downward spiral in basketball is like getting coal in your stocking.

Perhaps we all need a visit from the Ghost of Championships Yet to Come.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

This team reminds me a lot of the VT team a couple of years ago. They had a very good PG in Eric Green who led the ACC in scoring and was league MVP. Despite that, they only won four games in the ACC and finished dead last. Unless something changes drastically over the next few weeks, we are pretty much headed in that direction.

Not really sure what could change in reality or how it would change. This is an odd team that seemingly has taken a colossal step backwards with the best player taking 3 steps forward. Not sure if its coaching (I suspect that factors in to a degree), lack of talent (again coaching?) or lack of team chemistry.

Something is off on this team and at this point it seems irreparable.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.