Pack Dominated in “Our State” Bowl played in NC

Home Forums All StateFansNation Pack Dominated in “Our State” Bowl played in NC

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    tjfoose1
    Participant

Our team improved this year. We lost by less and were more consistent overall (Dave cites we were competitive which is coachspeak you guys still with me?) Those with strong critical thinking skills can understand that a team that wins/loses by a point (over the long run) is essentially equivalent to its opponent.

I agree. It was nice to see others recognize this.

As for basketball, I’m just an average fan. I don’t have the background, experience, and acumen that I do in football.

LRM
    Keymaster

I see this as an example of how numbers never lie, but they never tell the whole truth, either.

It’s certainly fair to say we improved, because we lost by less on average than 2014. But we still lost on average by two touchdowns per game (instead of on average three per game in 2014), and our only single-score loss was Louisville.

That said, I think any talk of firing Doeren now is ridiculous. But the pressure will be evident next season. I’m curious how “improvement” Will be viewed — especially considering, because of our tougher schedule, we could be a much-improved team and still be 7-5.

This should work itself out one way or the other next year.

rthomas44
    Participant

As an old geezer, I was around for Sloan’s first years. He struggled and so did V.I am not going to offer a baseless opinion on any coach at State like all the above pseudo fans but I will say that I am a Wolfpacker and I think the programs are in good hands.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Agreed, LRM. All 7-5’s aren’t created equal, and only a fool would view 7-5 next year as “stagnant.”

That said, I think the schedule will be good for us, IF we have anything in the tank. It will force our balls to drop, so to speak. We definitely won’t show up for October behind the learning curve again.

I am somewhat in between where the angry folks and Foose are at this point. I always saw this past season as more of a “consolidation” year, and I can understand how our record ended up what it was – WITHOUT it meaning bad things for our program.

BUT, overall…I wasn’t impressed by the overall talent level on the field at all. We looked physically overmatched far too often, and the play of our back seven was just shocking. Also, not especially encouraged by what we have coming in, certainly not in terms of “game ready” talent. This worries me.

That said, I give Doeren AT LEAST the next two seasons, and evaluate after that. Football is a slow build.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Agreed, LRM. All 7-5’s aren’t created equal, and only a fool would view 7-5 next year as “stagnant.”

That said, I think the schedule will be good for us, IF we have anything in the tank. It will force our balls to drop, so to speak. We definitely won’t show up for October behind the learning curve again.

I am somewhat in between where the angry folks and Foose are at this point. I always saw this past season as more of a “consolidation” year, and I can understand how our record ended up what it was – WITHOUT it meaning bad things for our program.

BUT, overall…I wasn’t impressed by the overall talent level on the field at all. We looked physically overmatched far too often, and the play of our back seven was just shocking. Also, not especially encouraged by what we have coming in, certainly not in terms of “game ready” talent. This worries me.

That said, I give Doeren AT LEAST the next two seasons, and evaluate after that. Football is a slow build.

I would take 7-5 next season and not look back. With our schedule a 7-5 season would be tremendous progress.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Agreed 7-5 would be fantastic next year. But 5-7 is more likely IMHO. I honestly do not see progress.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I’m not really in prediction mode anymore with football. We will see what we will see. I’m willing to let it play out, with my grading pen in hand these next two seasons. This is the evaluation period that lets us know what we have in Doeren, frankly.

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.