NCSTATE # 24. AP Coaches Poll

Home Forums StateFans Football NCSTATE # 24. AP Coaches Poll

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Greywolf
    Participant

I have supported Doeren since Doeren was announced as our new head coach. A lot gets said here about good QBs being a difference maker on teams.

2013 Doeren’s starting QB, a grad transfer WR being given a shot at QB, was knocked out for half a season in our first possession the first game of the Doeren era. Very disappointed in the season but not Doeren particularly. Snake bit maybe… As the season played out some aspects of Doeren’s coaching concerned me and I still supported Doeren. (IMO DD is a far better coach today than he was when he got here.)

2014 we exceeded my expectations. Thank you Jacobi Brisette.

2015 was a let-down year for me. I still supported Doeren and I began to see things about the program, not the team, I liked very much.

2016 “if it won’t for bad luck we’d have no luck at all…” And the team demonstrated some “no quit” after some devastating losses and finished strong.

2017 “The sun don’t shine on the same dog’s arse all day.” We are going to catch some breaks and win some we didn’t win in the past.

Thw D is not as strong as I thought it would be. Still…

I pretty much go along with Pack1997’S to win with one big difference — the EweNC game. No way in heii does EweNC have a 50% chance to win.

while I support DD 100% I have concerns about him as a game day coach But since Drinkwitz is calling he plays and DD has his mind on the big picture those concerns are fadding fast. But what in the name of goodness do concerns have to do with supporting him?

vs UL 50%45% chance we win.
    @Pitt 65% chance we win
    @ND 40%45% chance we win
    VS Clemson 35% chance win
    @BC 75% chance win, would love to make this one higher but don’t want to jinx it.
    @WFU 50% chance we win
    vsUNC 50%75% chance we win

If the defense fulfills expectations, we could have that extraordinary season.

choppack1
    Participant

Grey – I think that’s a fair assessment.

I think 99% of us want him to be “the man.”

Wulfpack
    Participant

I think we’re on our way this season. I’m seeing a lot of progress. The game at Wake will be huge. Historically, we lay an egg there. And the Deacs, like the Pack, are very much improved.

TheCOWDOG

Man…I just like watching ’em compete and play football. Competent, football, while competing. Novel.

What’s that called in literature?

freshmanin83
    Participant

Man…I just like watching ’em compete and play football. Competent, football, while competing. Novel.

What’s that called in literature?

Roman a clef? Narrative? Romance? Potboiler?

Greywolf
    Participant

I think, wonder, speculate, opine, whatever, that the win over FSU will take take the onus off us should we lose to L’ville under certain conditions. We need to play well, play like a top 25 team is expected to play and it would help for us to make it a good Thursday night game. Personally I would like to see us shut down L’ville’s run game, limit their big play TDs and out score them.

Should we win I would have trouble keeping my expectations in check. IOW I would very much like our chances in the rest of the games except Clemson and think we would have a decent chance at home vs Clemson. Should we lose as described above, I would keep my chances at ND and Clemson the same and pray we don’t have a WTF game with the rest.

ryebread
    Participant

Grey: I’m with you. I think Clemson is a loss. They should be expected to win every game they play until they get to the playoff. They could be upset though, so that’s why you play them, but I just don’t see that upset coming from NC State.

If we beat Louisville, we could have a very good season. We’d be +2 on my ACC 5-3 prediction (losses to Clemson, FSU and Louisville). We might trip up against WF or UNC, but we could go 7-1 in conference as well. We could go 10-2, but likely would be 9-3 if things continued at the same trend. Beat Louisville and the pressure builds, but it’d sure be nice to be the hunted as opposed to the hunters.

Lose to Louisville and it looks like 8-4 to me. We CAN beat Louisville, and a team that is breaking through would do so, but if we don’t we’re probably losing to Clemson and then one more along the way (ND, Wake, UNC). That’d be a solid season, and DD and staff would get an extension.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

We’re playing at Home…
    and it’s a Thursday night game…

Louisville could take us lightly as did the Noles and
    if we play our best…

WE CAN WIN THIS GAME.

I ain’t gonna worry about Clempsom for a couple more weeks….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    gso packbacker
    Participant

Agree with the above and I really do like our chances in this game (didn’t last year). At the start of the year I had this game slotted as a 60% chance of victory. Obviously, I felt good about something so why not just roll with it. I’m in for the win on Thursday to keep this Train rolling.

rthomas44
    Participant

Looking at LV record, I can see reason for optimism, especially letting the Cheats score 35. Their last two games have been cupcakes.

tractor57
    Participant

Time for the Pack to simply do what we know they can do. Win or lose if they do that I’ll not be upset. I do see the possibility of moving upward as a program but it has to happen for real not in hopes and dreams.

Pack1997
    Participant

Based on the past I expect 5-3 or 6-2 in ACC play to be a good season. Anything above that is a special season. Grey, my odds on the UNC game are solely based on history. When the other team is having a crap season they tend to step up when playing the other. It’s just the nature of the rivalry. I would love beat the crap out of them! I loved watching GT beat them! The Wake game in Winston is one of my biggest worries.

As for DD, I won’t let one good season define my opinion of him, nor would I let one bad one. While I am critical of him I certainly hope he does great things for us. Realistically any decent coach should be able to come to State and win 6-7 games a year. I wont more than decent I want consistently 8-9 wins a year. My hope is if he has a good season and gets an ext it isn’t something that ties our hands for a number of years. That would be true of any coach, as the bball fiasco with Gott has shown us.

Greywolf
    Participant

Pack1997,

I know what you mean about the EweNC game but as far as recent history is concerned we won 2 out of the last 3 and 7 out of 10. That’s all well and good but I’m basing my 75% on our current team and that horrible list of injuries they have. And you are right. Anything can happen in that game.

etab4u
    Participant

Being ranked can only help our program in at least one significant area: recruiting. If we can bring in more highly ranked or skilled recruits than the Holes or the few we lost to the Cocks this year, it will help us down the road. I think it’s a good thing and am happy for the ‘Pack. I also hope we can stay there with our upcoming games. That will take winning and, if we lose, at least losing in a hard fought manner. I hope the FSU win gives us the confidence to compete.

Greywolf
    Participant

I hope the FSU win gives us the confidence to compete.

I’d say it was the other way around, the confidence to compete gave us the FSU win.

PackofMac
    Participant

Everyone’s getting a little excited…even if we beat the ville, go to Pitt, ND, and Fake Forest. Not one of those games is anything close to a sure win, more like two out of three losses.

rthomas44
    Participant

Excited? We would never do that!

gso packbacker
    Participant

even if we beat the ville, go to Pitt, ND, and Fake Forest. Not one of those games is anything close to a sure win, more like two out of three losses

My crystal ball isn’t working either, but I think it’s slightly more likely we win 2 out of those 3 games (Louisville result aside). Yes, I call that optimism, but I also called that in my pre-season prediction (which I regard as pessimistically optimistic).

tractor57
    Participant

I make no predictions. I do think this year’s team is more mentally tough than last year’s. It takes physical and mental toughness to do well here.

Greywolf
    Participant

tractor57,

Have to agree with you about the mental toughness. We lose a game we should not have lost and as many have said made it tough on ourselves in having the kind of season we want to have. Then we go down to FSU and after a safety and punt block kept that mental toughness. It would have been real easy to fold up the tent after that and we didn’t.

FSU’s big gun receiver went down and FSU didn’t have the mental toughness to have the “next man up” get it done. With all the 4 and 5-star recruits they have, surely somebody would step up.

Hines’ run for a first down on 3rd an 7 may not have been the call most would have made but he believed and the team believed. We won the game with that run, did not have to try and keep from losing.

And our coach looked like a P-5 coach and Jimbo did not. Hey, Jimbo, you only get 3 TOs per half and you squandered yours.

freshmanin83
    Participant

I think the Pack may be learning how to win games.

cardiacpackattack22
    Participant

“FSU’s big gun receiver went down and FSU didn’t have the mental toughness to have the “next man up” get it done. With all the 4 and 5-star recruits they have, surely somebody would step up.

Hines’ run for a first down on 3rd an 7 may not have been the call most would have made but he believed and the team believed. We won the game with that run, did not have to try and keep from losing.”

This to me hits the nail on the head… if I remember correctly, Hines had committed to FSU and then flipped to the pack. Did he have something personally to prove? Maybe… but that “will” he showed on that run has been missing for a long time here at state (maybe even since the TA McLendon days)

FSU should’ve throttled us at their place and didn’t. I don’t buy into the Freshman QB and two weeks off bs. If the roles were reversed and the pack had to deal with that situation given our “recruits” we’d be screwed.

Sure we still have some issues with Doren and the mistakes suck but make no mistake, even most of us are pleasantly surprised with this year I think. Especially after the opening KO against SC where I thought the sky was falling ha

Zaphod
    Participant

if I remember correctly, Hines had committed to FSU and then flipped to the pack. Did he have something personally to prove? Maybe… but that “will” he showed on that run has been missing for a long time here at state (maybe even since the TA McLendon days)

Johnny Frasier (who left the team in May) was the running back that committed to FSU and then changed to State. IIRC, Hines was always a State man.

YogiNC
    Participant

Red & White have been his colors from the start. Frasier never did get off the bench. That’s sad.

I’m hoping Hines has another big game tonight!!!!

Smarter than the average bear

Greywolf
    Participant

I don’t think we are going to win nor do I think we are going to lose. I do think we have a chance to win. This is the kind of game/opponent where anything can happen. If LJ gets hot, it could turn ugly. If we play well on defense and play our usual game offensively… well, that would be the best case scenario.

Not very bold I’ll admit but consistent with my usual effort of not having expectations.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.