NCSTATE # 24. AP Coaches Poll

Home Forums StateFans Football NCSTATE # 24. AP Coaches Poll

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    rthomas44
    Participant

Oh Joy , Coach DD has met Dr.Yow’s goal.

Packzingo
    Participant

Now that’s Funny!

pakfanistan
    Participant

Only a State fan could be disappointed about being ranked.

YogiNC
    Participant

Now that’s Funny!

No, no it’s not. For all of the derision spewed out here against DD he FINALLY gets his team in the top 25 and instead of being happy for the team AND NC STATE someone has to beacht about that. UNSAT! Be happy for the team, be happy that they are enjoying a measure of success. In the top 3 IN THE LEAGUE, not just in our division! Week in and week out I’ve read the negative comments and now it’s time to STOP with that crap. Now, I know fully well that things could go south in a hurry, that the game of football, BUT for today we are # 24. In the top 25, PERIOD! Suck it up and stop with the negativity for the time being and celebrate the success. IOW, if you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all.

Smarter than the average bear

rthomas44
    Participant

Gee ,I guess I touched a nerve! Just using my first amendment…as long as CD thinks it’s OK.

YogiNC
    Participant

Sorry rt, I’ve just endured too many negative posts from what is supposed to be a FANS site FOR NC State. It really got to be old after a while. Now that they are being somewhat successful I guess it’s too much to expect those who have derided them to back off a bit, first amendment or not. When those of us who continued to support DD and felt he was building something here that could be successful all we heard was a blast that we are stupid to support him. So I say time to either support him and the team or quit calling yourself an NC State Wolfpack fan. Simple as that. Either you’re with us or agin’ us, and if it’s the latter then quite simply, why are you here?

rthomas44
    Participant

I admit it… I have a dry humor but I bleed WOLFPACK RED and will not waste my time telling you about it. Now I have to watch the game tonight…R Wilson vs J Brissett.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

When those of us who continued to support DD and felt he was building something here that could be successful all we heard was a blast that we are stupid to support him

I’d be pretty shocked if that’s true. Was there even one single poster who called you stupid (much less “all you heard”)?

We’re trending in the right direction for the first time in 5 years. I’d have been real pumped about the rest of this year if yesterday we could have played the 2nd half in the same manner as the first. Impressive start none the less.

Dave an co. get another chance to impress on Thursday.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Congrats to DD and the Pack on the ranking. Certainly hard earned. Big one Thursday night.

Greywolf
    Participant

I admit it… I have a dry humor but I bleed WOLFPACK RED and will not waste my time telling you about it. Now I have to watch the game tonight…R Wilson vs J Brissett.

44, I get that you were trying to be funny and it’s your constitutional right to belittle Coach Doeren and the Pack on it’s accomplishments. However having the constitutional right to say something doesn’t make it the right thing to say.

You offended Yogi with your knee-slapper humor. It’s your constitutional right. I’m wondering if you are man enough to apologize to Yogi for offending him.

rthomas44
    Participant

GW .. excuse me but I don’t recall addressing my post to anyone in particular and therefore…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Now I have to watch the game tonight…R Wilson vs J Brissett.

MaterMan… go figure…

early in the 2nd qtr… Jacoby is winning….

stat wise and on the scoreboard…

Go figure ….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    MrPlywood
    Participant

I’d love for Jacoby to do well and supplant the much vaunted but highly over-rated Andrew Luck.

Back to business: I have to admit that my first thought was “Man, if they had only beaten SC”. But here they are at 24, good for them. I hope they get a good crowd for Louisville and TCB.

Greywolf
    Participant

GW .. excuse me but I don’t recall addressing my post to anyone in particular and therefore…

Now that’s funny. I like your dry sense of humor.

BTW you don’t have to address people in particular to offend them. The players who are kneeling aren’t doing so because they personally are affected by what they are protesting. Of course I’m just joking. How do you like my dry sense of humor? 😉

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Grey… your fat fingers got me confused with somebody else… or it’s WordPress phathoms..

I never said that…

I do on the other hand like dry wit….
    and I’m proud of our Football Team…

with a little luck, they’re better than #24….

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    YogiNC
    Participant

I’d be pretty shocked if that’s true. Was there even one single poster who called you stupid (much less “all you heard”)?

While the word stupid may not have been used I can attest that Grey and I both were blasted pretty heavily for our beliefs that DD was going to be successful. And for some of the things that were said blasted is a mild word to describe it from my perspective. Last year’s team was really close to being very successful and while this years team still have some things to prove one would think that optimism should have replaced some of the constant pessimism that DD was the absolute worst hire in the history of the program (yes, there are posts out there that say that almost word for word). And if you don’t believe that there was great derision towards those of us who felt the Pack could be successful under DD I can pull up plenty of those posts also. That’s one of the reasons I had pulled back on posts, I just tired of it plus my companies success put me under a PILE of work for our new customers.

I’ll add that for two really bad instant reply screw ups and one totally missed blatant pass interference penalty deep in the gamecocks territory we could easily be undefeated right now. BUT, it is only midway through the season, and we lost a valuable running back Saturday. My optimism is matched with crossed fingers that no more injuries occur and that we GET the breaks instead of losing them. Pure unadulterated luck can have just as much to do with a successful season as can hard work although preparation and hard work make it easier to overcome bad breaks. Believe me Clemson got REALLY lucky when we missed that FG in the closing seconds. That’s the difference between national champs and not even playing in the game, a field goal that went wide right or left, I can’t recall which exactly.

I’ll also add one more thing. If anyone doubts about the negative effects of Canada as our OC I give you LSU. Canada went to Pitt and had the benefit of one of the best backs in the country and only had a middling year at best but he was able to parlay that into the LSU gig. He won’t be there long. The GEAUX tigers bunch will skewer and roast him at one of those famous tailgate parties.

gso packbacker
    Participant

I think it’s fair to say that all of us have some degree of skepticism when watching our team have a modicum of success. How could we call ourselves NC State fans otherwise?

However, being ranked after the 5th game of the season (regardless of what you want to say about the competition or the circumstances) is a significant accomplishment.

Enjoy it. If you choose to utilize sarcasm, I don’t think you should be surprised when you get lambasted though.

Btw, I think a pessimistically optimistic lead-in post would have been The Pulp Fiction car clean up scene with Harvey Keitel
    Well, let’s not start …

ryebread
    Participant

Back to business: I have to admit that my first thought was “Man, if they had only beaten SC”. But here they are at 24, good for them. I hope they get a good crowd for Louisville and TCB.

Those were my thoughts exactly. Had we beaten S. Carolina, we’d be in the top 20. Of course, who knows if we may have dropped another one.

Let’s hope the team is focused and ready to play 4 quarters on Thursday. We’ll need a complete effort to beat Louisville.

choppack1
    Participant

Funny how the human mind works, we got a huge break playing fsu without their starting qb and after a 3 week break.

We made the most of it.

The rest of this season will be about capitalizing on those opportunities and not letting the bad breaks deflate us.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

I’m happy for the team but think the ranking might be a bit premature. I’m hoping they won’t let it go to their heads and will prove the ranking is deserved. Tough game coming up. Maybe sneakergate will have LU distracted.

Pack1997
    Participant

Count me as one on the DD not a good coach camp. Making the top 25 with a heavy load of juniors and seniors on the team doesn’t change that opinion. I am happy we have won some games and are entertaining to watch. I had us at 4-1 at this point though, just with 2 games flip flopped. Our schedule gets brutal from here on out so we will need constant focus. Finish in the top 25 against our schedule and I will easily say he had a good year. He would need to follow that up with another a good year for me to say he is a good coach.

The rest of our schedule is below with what I think our percent chance to win would be. In order to have a great season we will need some of that luck mentioned above, as a lot of games are 50/50.

vs UL 50% chance we win.
    @Pitt 65% chance we win
    @ND 40% chance we win
    VS Clemson 35% chance win
    @BC 75% chance win, would love to make this one higher but don’t want to jinx it.
    @WFU 50% chance we win
    vsUNC 50% chance we win

Greywolf
    Participant

Grey… your fat fingers got me confused with somebody else… or it’s WordPress phathoms..

Greywolf
    Participant

Gee ,I guess I touched a nerve! Just using my first amendment…as long as CD thinks it’s OK.

To quote Yogi, “Sorry rt, I’ve just endured too many negative posts from what is supposed to be a FANS site FOR NC State.” I wish I could take it all back but of course that’s not possible.
    You said it best. What you said touched a nerve.

gso packbacker
    Participant

According to my math, your percentages lead to an expected number of wins of 7.65, 5.25 within ACC play (as ND is excluded).

We were picked to go 4-4 in the ACC this year and I think that was about right. I picked us to go 5-3 and I felt as though that would be making progress. Curious what your thought is about that Pack1997.

It did strike me that since we are out to a 2-0 start in ACC play, my expectations of a “good” season start to morph. If I look at our history (ACC play only), I come to the following assessment.

7-1 in ACC qualifies as a special season
    6-2 in ACC qualifies as a VERY good season (not done since 1994)
    5-3 in ACC qualifies as good season (only accomplished 3x since 1994)
    4-4 on ACC qualifies as the usual middle of the road

choppack1
    Participant

I don’t think the ranking is premature. According to the ESPN power metrics, I think we are top 25. We have earned it thus far (good news), only halfway there (bad news)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.