NCAA Tournament Selections

Home Forums All StateFansNation NCAA Tournament Selections

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Should strength of your opponent of games played in November outweigh a teams’ record vs top 25?

Big Money rules the NCAA…

Clearly… the current weighing on before Christmas games, otherwise known as “OOC” guarantees the TV guys sufficient early season quality games to keep the eyeballs and the ad dollars rolling…

Don’t look for that to change until after the NCAA folds its tents..

No doubt in my mind… next season… Keatts will beef up the early season games by dropping a couple of Q4s and replacing them with a Q2, maybe and a couple Q3s…

But then if we’d won 2 of the conference games, we coulda / shoulda won… we wouldn’t be talking ’bout OOC, either…

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    GoldenChain
    Participant

The NCAA should offer an incentive (i.e. $$$$ for those in faison) if they want teams in power conferences to play more high profile games against mid majors on the road.

From the chart above, FSU & VT have WORSE OOC schedules than us. Why? #1 they want to get the gate revenue to help their athletic budget #2 they have to automatically play 19 games against Q1 or Q2 teams half on the road.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Clearly… the current weighing on before Christmas games, otherwise known as “OOC” guarantees the TV guys sufficient early season quality games to keep the eyeballs and the ad dollars rolling…

Hadn’t considered that, but it makes sense.

Texpack
    Participant

Anyone who thinks that OOC schedule doesn’t matter, simply isn’t paying attention.

Oh it clearly matters. I would argue that the committee places WAY too much emphasis on it. I’m not saying that it shouldn’t be a factor, but today it seems that it’s quite over weighted.

Should strength of your opponent of games played in November outweigh a teams’ record vs top 25?

The reason it matters to the committee is that nobody controls their conference schedule. Most teams can control their non-conference schedule to a degree.

MrPlywood
    Participant

But then if we’d won 2 of the conference games, we coulda / shoulda won…

Or, beat UNI and UNCG like they SHOULDA…

GoldenChain
    Participant

The reason it matters to the committee is that nobody controls their conference schedule. Most teams can control their non-conference schedule to a degree.

Therefore, as someone said (I think me?!) “show me da money!!!!!” Otherwise I’m content to accept my house gate $ with cupcakes like Troy State at home and then rely on fighting it out in the conference where I’ll have 3 games in 5 days or 3 road games in a row against ranked teams. Just saying. What incentive do we have to play Davidson at the Belk Arena in December?

Wulfpack
    Participant
      Wolfpack
    choppack1
    Participant

Real Interesting data on bracket matrix out there.

Of the 187 brackets they track, only 1 of them appears to have gotten all 68 teams right. Thee coventional wisdom was that USC would go (who was in 173 brackets) and then st. Mary’s would go (who was in 87).

Instead Arizona State (62 votes) and Syracuse (23 votes) stole the last 2 bids.

Joey Brackets looked like he tied for 70th (out of those 187.)

Dance card must be on spring break… They missed on USC, Marquette, Mtsu, and St. Mary’s getting in (leaving out Creighton, Cuse, Arizona State and FSU.)

To me, it seems like the committee really emphasized quality wins as some of those shunned – Louisville, USC, MTSu and St. Mary’s – didn’t have a lot of them or definitely had less than their bubble brethren.

Rick
    Keymaster

Big Money rules the NCAA…

And this is why I don’t watch much college sports any more. Money had completely corrupted it.

GoldenChain
    Participant

And this is why I don’t watch much college sports any more. Money had completely corrupted it.

I guess you just stick with Tee-ball then since we now know the agents have manipulated down into rec sports trolling for tallent. Pee Wees and Tee Ball are the only ‘pure sports’ left out there!lol

BOTB, I think part of it is just that as we get older we develop other priorities and some of the stuff that seemed to matter so much just ain’t that big a deal anymore.

Rick
    Keymaster

I guess you just stick with Tee-ball then since we now know the agents have manipulated down into rec sports trolling for tallent. Pee Wees and Tee Ball are the only ‘pure sports’ left out there!lol

BOTB, I think part of it is just that as we get older we develop other priorities and some of the stuff that seemed to matter so much just ain’t that big a deal anymore.

I tend to watch more nba it hockey than anything but I just don’t watch much sports. Your second paragraph is as much the reason as anything.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Well… I’m not 100% sure I agree with GC and Rick’s last comments…

I enjoy NCState sports “on the field” and “on the court” more now than at any time since I graduated from State in ’76…
    You guys have a lot to do with that… Thanks!

And once the game starts… the competitive instincts of the athletes and the rivalry with the opponent pushes most all the Political and Money issues out of the way until the post game show is over most all the time… Remember, the guys playing don’t hear the dumba$$ TV announcers random BS…

Which is the big reason why I mute the sound on the TV and listen to games on the radio…

I do agree that one becomes somewhat numb to the “off the field” and “off the court” stuff…
    People have used MONEY and Politics to corrupt things ever since MONEY was invented… so that ain’t nothing new…

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Rick
    Keymaster

Botb,
    There is a lot more money involved now than ever. We are taking hundreds of millions. There is no question in my mind some teams are given more opportunities. There is not a level playing field.

It’s just not worth the emotional or monetary investment to me anymore. I watch most state games. The only other college basketball game I watched this year was the ACC title game.

choppack1
    Participant

1) There’s tons of money at stake and no one can honestly say we are dealing with any kind of “fair market” for the only 2 sports that generate money for the major conferences.

2) Because these markets are so dysfunctional and lack transparency, you can’t really expect fairness by key players.

3) Most of the participants in said sports are not at college based on their academic merits. This creates other challenges and further exasperates the lack of transparency and motivation to cut corners.

4) As Bill rightly points out, one the game starts all these issues have a way of disappearing to most fans. It’s the reason items 1-3 don’t bother most consumers enough to change their behavior.

5) The NBA season is way too long and is largely a contest between winners of the genetic lottery.

6) Golf is the pro sport (next to NFL) that I even make an effort to watch. Not so coincidentally, it’s also the sport where officials matter the least (though the unethical and/or stupid media) is actively trying to change that.

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.